Before Hurricane, Trump Admin Diverted FEMA Money To ICE Baby Jails

maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:24 am
There are three basic policies we can take to having children come to the US to join parents or relatives living here illegally.

1. We can say sorry, the law is the law. These people aren't supposed to be here. If their kids come, we will take care of them until we can send them back in a humane way.

2. We can say sure, bring your kids. These parents are already living in the US, let's make it easy for them to send for their kids. We can provide for a visa and let these kids come on an airplane above board and safe.

3. We can say; we won't help these kids, they can pay smugglers to take these kids on a dangerous journey. Some of them will die. But, if their parents are willing to take this risk, and they make it, we will reward them.

People on this thread seem to be arguing for that last policy. I think rewarding people; incentivizing them for putting children at risk... Is insane.

For the record, I would prefer the second option.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
I prefer countries to set a government to take care of their own people so they don't have to flee their home country to save themselves from certain death.

You live in a bubble, Max. Everyone wants to come HERE because, even with all of the problems we have, is still better than where the came from.

Want to solve the immigration crisis? Then stop the world's crime and they won't fear for their lives.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 08:57 am
@neptuneblue,
You completely avoided the point Neptune. I agree with what you are saying (although it is rather simplistic), but it doesn't address the problem with policy. The question is about US policy. Should the US policy incentivize people to put the lives of children in greater risk?

Read the three options at the top of this page, and tell me what you think of the third option.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:05 am
You forgot the fourth option: Go back to the way it was under Obama, where the problem was there but was managed so much better, and then let's make improvements from there. That option you don't mention.

After lying your way through this thread I think it's hubris for you to think that you will give the options people are allowed to obediently discuss. And things were managed much better under Obama-the number of children being held was much less, the time they were in custody was much less. These facts emerged in the posts of the other posters here, and have been ignored by you in your never-ending effort to get people to ignore the mess Trump has caused here.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:11 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Go back to the way it was under Obama, where the problem was there but was managed so much better, and then let's make improvements from there.

Actually, Obama agreed with me. Just read the news accounts from 2015 (before the election started in earnest). http://time.com/2966469/obama-immigration-unaccompanied-minors/

Obama wanted to stop the flow of accompanied minors by making it clear that they would not be admitted. He was prevented by his base from fully following through with this and ended up at a solution that no one was happy with.

There were several times that Obama tried, and was stymied by his base. He was still called "deporter in chief". He was in a very difficult spot on this issue.

Real Music

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:15 am
House Republicans’ spending bill includes FEMA cuts to fund Trump’s border wall.

By Alan Fram and Andrew Taylor Associated Press
Published August 30, 2017

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is promising billions to help Texas rebuild from Harvey-caused epic flooding, but his Republican allies in the House are looking at cutting almost $1 billion from disaster accounts to help finance the president’s border wall.

The pending reduction to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster relief account is part of a massive spending bill that the House is scheduled to consider next week when lawmakers return from their August recess. The $876 million cut, which is included in the 1,305-page measure’s homeland security section, pays for roughly half the cost of Trump’s down payment on the U.S.-Mexico border wall that the president repeatedly promised Mexico would finance.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2017/08/30/house-republicans-spending-bill-includes-fema-cuts-fund-trump-border-wall/VSf07WfdiwyhOFOoOKZ7pL/story.html
Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:23 am
@maxdancona,
According to your link, the only children being removed were from Mexico. The Southwest Border is the Mexican border-if you refuse permission to enter, the child is still in his home country. Most of the immigrants are not from Mexico, and so this does not occur.

What did occur is that the few children who did come unaccompanied, (about 12% of the total, as opposed to your claim that a big majority were unaccompanied), were held until sponsors for them in the US could be found. And under Obama, the kids were in custody for less than a third of the time they were under Trump, due to the disastrous policies of the Trump Administration. So under Trump, the kids are being held ovr three times as long, it is harder to find sponsors, and so the mess under Trump continues.

And of course, you never get around to mentioning that, even though other posters have given you this information in this thread. Wonder why?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:28 am
@Real Music,
So the Republicans are taking the money they earmarked for Hurricane Harvey relief for Texas and trying to use it for a down payment on the Wall.

Another example of how bizarre it gets once you point your government's goals toward the INs telling the OUTs whose boss. The Wall isn't going to help Texas rebuild from a hurricane. But it will make people who think immigrants are the problem feel good.
camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:35 am
@Blickers,
Can you not see how hypocritical your own finger pointing is, Blickers?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
My preferences are:

If #2 fails, then we do #3. If that fails then we do #1.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:35 am
@neptuneblue,
That's a good point too...however it is impossible for America to fix the worlds problems...especially since we're seemingly unable to fix our own (or even agree on what our problems are).
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:59 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
I prefer countries to set a government to take care of their own people so they don't have to flee their home country to save themselves from certain death

You completely ignore reality, Neptune. If the US[UK and others] hadn't invaded every Central and South American country, all the ME countries, many SE Asian countries, had the usual brutal, right wing US dictator, hadn't stolen vast sums of others wealth, the world would be a peaceful place.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:33 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Trump is showing everyone his priorities.
It is definitely not FEMA.
Should we just turn these kids loose in the Mexican desert then?
camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
You could plan another US baby killing genocide like the Iraqi genocide. You just have to wait until you get the numbers up around 500,000.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:44 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Actually, of course Trump is lying. I have never suggested otherwise.
You are lying too. That's the issue here. This either/or logic isn't valid.
A lie is intentional deception.

I wasn't interested enough in you guys' disagreement to bother determining who was correct, but I am sure that if Blickers was wrong, it was not intentional.
camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are lying too.

This kind of lying is a highly infectious disease that has badly infected many if not most Americans, max. It predisposes you all to accepting as well as disseminating lies.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:59 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
A lie is intentional deception.

Which is what your serial pants on fire liar president does, oralloy, lies 69% of the time.

And you support this, because you are similar in nature to TRump.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:44 pm
@camlok,
I am indifferent to Trump's lies. I do share his love of freedom and civil rights however.
camlok

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I am indifferent to Trump's lies.

Of course you are - birds of a feather flock together.