My parents smoke pot, please help me

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:20 pm
J_B makes a good point - know many people know about it and the doodoo could hit the fan - talk to your parents and tell them other people know about it.

I'm with Smog, even I can usually tell good pot from bad pot and I almost never smoke it - I have lots of pot-head friends who do.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
Neither one of you have ever been exposed to anything like this before but you know three pot-heads you feel comfortable enough to invite over to see if it's the real thing?

Hmmmm.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
smog wrote:

That's definitely not true. If you smoke pot enough, you can start to tell good weed by simply smelling, looking at, and touching it. When you smoke a whole lot, you can tell good weed by smell alone. And remember, Steph had her pothead friends assess the weed.

I would beg to differ on that. But it is just my opinion. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:48 am
littlek wrote:

I'm with Smog, even I can usually tell good pot from bad pot and I almost never smoke it - I have lots of pot-head friends who do.

Very Happy

I guess I am the only one who can't tell by smell. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:14 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:13 pm
Steph--

I'm sorry about what you're having to deal with. I do think you made a mistake inviting people over, and telling them what was going on--but if you are representing your story well--you're not the only one in that house who has made mistakes.

Some people think you were in your parent's closet snooping. You may have been, you may not have been. That's not an issue in my opinion. Snooping isn't something to be proud of--but it doesn't compare to what they are doing, again, in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of these people think there's nothing wrong with pot. If you don't have other people relying on you--I'd agree. Your parents do have peopole relying on them--people who depend heavily on them. Children. I think you are seeing the results of having a pothead parent or two. They aren't involved in your life--and they should be. You are living in a toxic environment, and it can have bad effects on you and your brother. You need to find a way to protect yourself from being damaged too much by your pothead parent/s.

Get a camera or video recorder. (Don't tell another soul about this. Don't talk about pot to anyone else. Let the subject drop.)

Get evidence of the pot--pictures, whatever. Then get a little pinch from it--and hide it in a place no one will find it. Keep a picture with you. Then leave the rest of the pot where it was.

THEN talk to your parents. Write down the short list of needs you and your brother have.

1) Stop yelling in the house. (Tell them they can yell somewhere else, get a divorce, or whatever--but they cannot yell in the house anymore. They are making you and your brother sick. Tell them when you two move out, they can murder/suicide one another if they please--but not until you are gone.)

2) Show some basic interest in your life. Attend a number of events involving you and your brother weekly. Don't make it too high--but at least once a week. Also, they must set aside individual time for you and your brother seperately DAILY. There will be small talk--discussion of plans for quality time together--at least thirty minutes a day. For each of you.

3) There will be at least three family suppers a week. If mom has to cut work for an hourlong supper once in a while, oh well.

If they act like you're crazy, you can show them one of the copies of the tape or pictures of the pot.

Tell them you have a stash--it's not in the house--and these three things are all you require of them in exchange for not telling anyone else about the pot--or showing the pictures.

Tell them you'll give them the pictures and the little stash back when your brother turns 18.

Tell them you have no intention of getting them in trouble, because you know the whole family would be in a mess--not just them. But that you and your brother's lives are miserable because they have checked out of their lives. Tell them to check in.

Of course, if your parents seem to be the kind who might kill you--we will have to find a Plan B.

Most parents who smoke pot are peaceful, a little laid back--but just not "with it".

What this is likely to acheive is to slap them in the face with the reality that their choice to smoke pot HAS affected their children. OR, that they just happen to smoke pot--but have checked out as parents. And it will illustrate to them what your needs are and how desperate you are to have involved parents.

I wouldn't even demand that they quit smoking pot--Just that they stop ignoring their family--and stop letting their children, and their responsibilities fade away.

If you think there's any way they would harm you in this scenario--don't do it.

I'll have to concoct a Plan B in that case.

Pot, in itself, isn't so horrendous. Its what it does to some people. Makes them a sack of **** who just don't care about what they should care about. Most potheads just let themselves down, and they let down the people in their lives.

When my daughter moves out--I just may start smoking pot again. It relaxes me. But I quit twenty years ago, when I was pregnant with my first child. I think there are some things parents should do if they're going to be responsible for children. You deserve good parents. Not perfect parents. There's no such thing. But, they need to know you, and care about you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
Well said, Debra!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm
I don't agree with your plan, Lash.

It turns the child into a blackmail artist who is now making the rules in the house. I don't know of a parent alive, not a bad one or a good one, that would allow a child to take control.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:59 am
Either you need to talk to your parents or you need to get that sh8t out of your house. Memory fails at the moment since i haven't talk a class since christmas, but i have a feeling supply of category C is still worth 7 years in the UK... and provided you have more than an 8th you can be arrested for supply.
So 2 x 14 x 8 ... your rents are 224 times over the legal limit. And even if you account for the fact that the more you buy the less it costs you, you're still looking at more than £100 per ounce and therefore about £2800s worth stashed in your closet. While i'm sure you thought it was sensible to check that it really was pot, that's enough to make anybody think about who their friends are
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:46 pm
I was pretty sure my plan wouldn't be popular. I've just seen so many parents **** up children's lives--and I think there are many parents who would take something like this seriously enough to make a difference for some children.

So, either she will be a miserable statistic, who eventually makes her own children miserable statistics--or she'll do something revolutionary--and have at least a chance to change her situation.

If I were you, I'd probably say the same thing you have. What a dumb, sort of nutty, immoral idea... But, when I read what Steph had to say--the faces of so many other Stephs I counselled scrolled across my mind... I wanted her to have a chance. Just taking it doesn't work.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:13 am
I have to say while in some situations Lash's plan might work, forcing the parents to "be good parents" by blackmail is only going to make them resentful towards the kids and fairly ruin the relationship.
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
I know Exactly How you feel my parents smoke pot to..except i have a good relationship with them and i'm only 13!!!! i feel disgusting around them to and i feel like there bad people... i know exactly how you feel...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 01:39 pm
Re: My parents smoke pot, please help me
StephNannie wrote:
Just recently, while looking in my parents closet for shoes, I found about 2 pounds of pot hidden underneath a pile of shoes and clothes. My parents have never shown any signs of drug abuse or any illegal behavior which is why this came as such a shock to me. Im afraid that my family life is ruined forever. I cannot even look at my parents the same way as i used to, i feel disgusted whenever im around them, and i fear for my brother and my safety. Im only 16 and my brothers only 8, and neither one of us has been exposed to anything like this before, which is why im at a total loss. I cant talk to them about it because our relationship is not very good, we always fight and i feel like i cant talk to them about anything, but i dont even feel comfortable in my own house anymore. My parents are now total strangers to me, and i have no idea how to fix it. Please help me with any advice u have. I really need it.

Are you worried that you and your family will be killed or worse in some bizarre Krispy Kreme ritual?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 01:48 pm
Probably the most interesting thing about the two pot smoking parent threads currently running is the difference in what kids are taught today about drugs. Just Say No appears to have become so engrained that the kids now claim to be disgusted and disappointed in their parents when they find out they smoke weed. Their parents are the hippies, the last generation one would expect to have raised kids with such distaste for pot!

Hmmm. Interesting.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 01:50 pm
well squinney, wasn't that the whole idea?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:00 pm
Sounds to me like you're trying to get even with you parents. Do you realize that by showing it to several people and talking about it on the internet could put your parents in jail for a very long time?

The only people you should be talking to about this is your parents!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:08 pm
A thirteen year old now would have been born around 1991 or 1992... I'm not so sure the parents are hippie prototypes. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding.. maybe the grandparents were the hippies.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:10 pm
I'm the parent of a 16 year old and was born in the early 60's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:12 pm
I know Squinney, didn't mean you weren't - but the parents could also have been born, say, in, '71.
0 Replies