My parents smoke pot, please help me

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:40 pm
Just recently, while looking in my parents closet for shoes, I found about 2 pounds of pot hidden underneath a pile of shoes and clothes. My parents have never shown any signs of drug abuse or any illegal behavior which is why this came as such a shock to me. Im afraid that my family life is ruined forever. I cannot even look at my parents the same way as i used to, i feel disgusted whenever im around them, and i fear for my brother and my safety. Im only 16 and my brothers only 8, and neither one of us has been exposed to anything like this before, which is why im at a total loss. I cant talk to them about it because our relationship is not very good, we always fight and i feel like i cant talk to them about anything, but i dont even feel comfortable in my own house anymore. My parents are now total strangers to me, and i have no idea how to fix it. Please help me with any advice u have. I really need it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,962 • Replies: 38
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:44 pm
Even if you think your relationship isn't good, I think you should tell them what you found. And, why is it that you consider your relationship with them to be bad?
0 Replies

StephNannie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
Our relationship is bad because they show no intrest in anything i do, even though im a good student and have won many awards showing my horses. I just got tired of never being able to please them so i stopped involving them in my activities and they dont seem to care at all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:59 pm
Are they very busy with work and stuff?
0 Replies

StephNannie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
My mom is, but my dad isnt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:04 pm
So, mostly you feel they're indifferent, not really mean or abusive?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:05 pm
Do you now feel that, since they have marijuana, your parents are bad people? And while it may make you nervous to talk to them about this, it doesn't seem like you're going to get back your peace of mind any other way.
0 Replies

StephNannie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:18 pm
my mom is extremely mean and doesnt care about anything except her job. my dad pretty much hates her and they always fight in front of my brother and i. its not fair to either of us, but him in particular cuz hes only 8 and hes learning to yell and scream like they do. and now that i know they have marijuana, i have lost any respect that i had for them. they have always told me that drugs and sex are bad things, and now, here they are with a huge stash of weed. i still believe that drugs are bad, but now i wonder why they would be so hypocritical
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
So, is there anyway you might be wrong about it being pot?
0 Replies

StephNannie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
no, its definitely pot, i brought 3 people who i know are pot heads over and asked them, and they said its really good pot, and one of them said its the most he's ever seen
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
Well, I have to say that I don't personally think that smoking pot is wrong, it's illegal, yes, but not wrong. But, it is illegal and that alone bothers me for you. And the fact that they were hypocritcal about drugs is stupid on their part. I still think you should talk to them both.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:40 pm
Steph--

Welcome to A2K.

First the brutal comments: When you found the pot, you were "looking for shoes"? I'd guess that you were snooping through your parents bedroom hoping to find something that would make you feel closer to your career minded mother--but this is just a guess. Whatever your motives, you were snooping.

You say:

Quote:
i fear for my brother and my safety. Im only 16 and my brothers only 8, and neither one of us has been exposed to anything like this before, which is why im at a total loss.

You fear for your safety? Yet you're doing guided tours of your parents pot stash? Do you think your parents will be arrested? Do you suspect them of dealing?

You've never seen your parents as lawbreakers. You've indicated that they are uncaring to you and very immature about keeping adult disagreements away from your little brother.

I agree with Little K. Talk to them. How can things be worse?

Good luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:44 am
I don't know if you should assume it belongs to both of them. Is it at all possible that one of your parents hid it in the closet and the other one doesn't know anything about it?

The fact that three other people know about it means that 30 other people will know about it soon. Given the quality and quantity, I would guess it isn't intended for personal use - that's a lot of dope to have on hand as a personal stash. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think one or both of your parents are distributing. Sometimes people just 'hold' the stuff for dealers so that if the dealer gets busted some of their supply is still out there (you never know when you'll need some bail money).

My advice is to tell both your parents that you found it, that you've shown it to your friends and that they need to get it the hell out of the house before someone breaks in and tries to steal it or someone else finds out about it and narcs. Or, alternatively, if you feel strongly enough about it, there have been cases when kids have turned their parents in.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you feel like your world has been turned upside down.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
Hm, this is tough because if your parents found the weed in your closet, all hell would break loose. I think you should just confront them about it and say that you were wondering what was going on.

I know pot is illegal but like littlek, I don't think it is wrong, unless you abuse it. But abuse it, I mean you ligh up in the morning first thing, smoke during the day and then again before you go to bed...everyday. Pot is no more harmful than cigarettes, IMO and cigarettes are legal.

The point is, how do you feel about your parents smoking weed? Does it make you uncomfortable? Upset? Angry? Hurt? Confused? Or all of those? It's important to get this out or sooner or later, you'll fly off the handle, say something about it and regret the way the situation went.

Talk to them. Just be honest and tell them you found it and aren't sure what to think. Let them do the talking. Good luck.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
StephNannie wrote:
no, its definitely pot, i brought 3 people who i know are pot heads over and asked them, and they said its really good pot

The only way you know it's really good is if you smoke it. Did you try it out?

Perhaps the way to break through to them is to take it out and leave it on their bed. Then they would have to come to you because they would know you know.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Perhaps the way to break through to them is to take it out and leave it on their bed. Then they would have to come to you because they would know you know.

With a note that says, "We need to talk." hmmm, reminds me of a television commercial.

Bella's right in that if the situation were reversed all hell would break loose. Maybe she should flush it and then wait to see who notices first?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:07 am
J_B wrote:

With a note that says, "We need to talk." hmmm, reminds me of a television commercial.

Laughing Well, what better way to say "I know..." without having to actually say "i know." It puts the ball into their court and lets Steph know where they stand on the pot issue and where they stand on her knowing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:22 am
I agree, I wonder about the 8yo stumbling across it though. That's why I thought maybe she should flush it - I'm not sure that's a good idea either, I'm just throwing it out there.

I'm going to show my naivite here and say I really can't picture what 2 pounds of weed would be. The size of a brick or larger? Back a hundred years or so ago, when I knew about such things, an ounce was considered a lot. Anyone with an ounce was the envy of all around him. Am I correct in my assumption that 2 pounds would be a lot to have for personal use?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:55 am
Bella Dea wrote:
The only way you know it's really good is if you smoke it. Did you try it out?

That's definitely not true. If you smoke pot enough, you can start to tell good weed by simply smelling, looking at, and touching it. When you smoke a whole lot, you can tell good weed by smell alone. And remember, Steph had her pothead friends assess the weed.
J_B wrote:
Am I correct in my assumption that 2 pounds would be a lot to have for personal use?

Yeah, probably, although it wouldn't take two heavy smokers that long to go through two pounds. Of course, we don't know who often Steph's parents smoke.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:59 am
J_B wrote:
I agree, I wonder about the 8yo stumbling across it though.

Also, will the 8-year-old really know that he or she has just discovered an illegal drug upon first seeing it? Probably not. And there is even less of a danger of that small child knowing that what he or she has found needs to smoke, and still less of a danger that he or she knows how to smoke it. Like many things that 8-year-olds encounter, it would probably just be forgotten or misunderstood, especially since most kids that age don't know that a big block of cut-up, green, leafy stuff is actually a big block of law-breaking.
0 Replies