Large and Unabridged Dictionaries and the OED second edition

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
Hello. I am interested in purchasing a collection of large and unabridged English Language Dictionaries. What is the difference between comprehensive and unabridged?
What comprehensive and/or unabridged English language dictionaries have the same and/or similar features as the OED second edition? i'm looking for dictionaries that feature archaisms, psuedoarchaisms, colloquialisms, various spellings of words, synonyms, poetic words, unusual words, slang words, words from literature and history and mythology, etymologies, definitions of words in the etymologies, word usages (fig., transfigurative., metaphoric, poetic, allusive., attrib., etc.) and citations and quotes and words borrowed from other languages/cultures? And Spencerian and Chaucerian words? Please let me know. Thank you.

[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,293 • Replies: 23
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:15 pm
At nearly 22,000 pages, weighin' close to 140 pounds in aggregate, definin' over 600,000 words (the average well-educated adult will have a vocabulary - or at least will recognize and understand - something in the vicinity of 40-60,000 words, a 100,000 word vocabulary is extraordinary, and typical day-to-day conversation employs approximately 4 to 6000 words), the 20 volume OED SE is gonna be damned hard to surpass if one is lookin' for a unified, comprehensive, authoritative repository, arbiter, and record of The English Language. Among other amazin' things, the OED offers just under 50,000 main entries for "obsolete" words.

Another bit of lexicological trivia; if entry-length is the measure, the verb "set", scorin' well over 400 senses or definitions through some 60,000+ words (roughly equivalent to the word count of a 250-page novel) would be the most "defined" word in the English language Laughing
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
What other large and unabridged English language dictionaries should I look at?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:35 pm
I'd hafta say any others would compare to the OED as would a candy lozenge to an evenin'-long fine dinin' experience. However, the 12½ pound, 2600+ page, single-volume Webster's Third New International Dictionary, offerin' some 470,000 entries, would merit recommendation. Be a lot cheaper and much more portable, too. :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
The goal of the OED is to be comprehensive and complete ie every word in the language, which is unlikely as English at the moment is very dynamic. However I understand weggie just made it in. Personally, but only if you have the $500 dollar registration fee, I would recommend the online edition.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 05:25 pm
Thats a very good point, Acquiunk - I hadn't considered there'd be an on-line version. A $500 full registration doesn't seem a bad deal compared to the $1500-plus-oversize/overweight shipping for the print edition. Looks to me as though the astute shopper can get either annual access for about $300, or monthly access for about $30. Turns out though, the CD Edition (V3.1, updated to include all additions and supplements current as of Jan '05, just released) is the real bargain; only $220, shippin' included.

On the other hand, that gilt-edged, blue-leather-bound print edition sure caught my eye. On sale for only $5K - an enticin' "Buy it now!" savings of over a grand! Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that did not include the supplements and additions, which themselves were available only in standard bindin'.

<sigh>
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:45 am
What's the difference between the Compact OED and the 2-volume version of the OED 2nd edition that comes with magnifying glass?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:10 pm
Do these other versions of the OED omit certain words that are includse in the 20-volume version?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
The other versions are nowhere near as comprehensive as the the v0 Volume set plus its additions and supplments. The CD, however, is complete as of date of release, and the CD version may be updated as circumstances warrant.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
What is the V0 volume?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:02 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
What is the V0 volume?

Embarrassed A clumsy, careless, boneheaded typo - shoulda read "20 Volume" - dunno how I managed that; quite a trick. Sorry for the confusion. Embarrassed
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:47 pm
What's contained in the supplement(s) for the OED? Do you need them?

WHat's the difference betwen the single volume Compact OEd and the two-volume OED second edition? WHich version should I buy?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm
Besides the Random House Unabridged Dictionary-Second Edition and the Webster's Third New International Dictionary, what other large and unabridged dictionaries are worth buying and/or reading?
Do they make compact versions of these books as well?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
The supplements essentially are updates - additions not available at time of original publication. Revised editions, as they come out, contain such supplemental info as was available at time-of-release.

The compact editions are sorta like the Cliff's Notes versions, IMO - some of the flavor, but not anywhere near the full meal.

Again, just my opinion, but I beleve the Oxford and the Webster are really about it. A couple fairly comprehensive, free, online dictionaries I happen to find useful are Wordsmyth and The Century Dictionary. Though you hafta register, there's no charge. Take a look at them - both offer CD versions for sale, too.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Again is it more advantageous and cheaper to buy the single version of the Compact OED or the the two volume version? Do I need to buy the 1991 edition of the COED-since it is the current edition, or is there an older versions I should get?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:57 pm
I'd hafta say thats up to you and what it is you want to accomplish. The details you need to weigh your options all are available on the websites. As far as newer-vs-older, though, I'd strongly suggest gettin' the latest version available.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:26 pm
That's not what I meant. my local libray has a copy of the twenty volume OED 2nd edition, copyright 1989. The most edition is the 1991 version. has the most recent version changed in two years? Has anything been added to it? Has it been revised?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:09 pm
Ahhhh .... sorry, my confusion there. Sorry for this answer, too - but all I know the latest CD version is current as of January of this year - it does contain updates and entries not found in the available print versions. If I were gonna do it, I'd go with the CD, myself.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:26 pm
The most current edition of the COED is the 1991 edition. Is it much different than the 1989 edition?
Is it more advantageuos to buy the Single volume COED or the 2 volkume edition w/ magnifying glass?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:11 pm
I can't really give you an informed answer to that, I'm afraid. I suggest you consult the sales reference materials and any available reviews in order to come to your own conclusions. As I said earlier, if I were looking for the most up-to-date, comprehensive single-source repository available, I'd go with this year's CD.
0 Replies