Bush nominates Satan to head World Bank

Thomas Hayden

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
What I meant is that some people has the mission of coming up with ideas, suggestions and making research, while others have to take decisions , which, in the uncertain and increasingly complicated world we live in, are based mainly on intuition and determination.

Think of Reagan, criticized mainly on the same grounds that Bush. He wasn't a genius, but had something many Harvard graduates strive for and never achieve: a clear, determined view on reality, and true political courage. Qualities that always define a leader but not a technician. If you are negotiating with the Argentinian president about repaying the debt, I assure you won't start telling him " Well, according to our predictions, Argentina Central Bank should increase interest rates by 2% so demand will contract, notice how these differential equations take extreme values. But I'm not sure if we should have defined # in the formula as employment but relative variations in importations of goods"

It seems to me that many of you are assuming Wolfowitz is illiterate. He may have a good knowledge of Economics, after all.

I almost forget this!!!

Quote:
TODAY SENATOR JOE BIDEN, vice chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a leading Democratic foreign policy voice in that body, voiced strong support for Paul Wolfowitz as President George W. Bush's choice to head the World Bank.

Biden described Wolfowitz, currently deputy secretary of defense, as a man with an "active and fertile mind" who believes in the work of multilateral institutions. Asked for his reaction to the selection, Biden responded with one word: "Solid."

He then elaborated. "Paul is a brilliant guy and a serious person. My differences with Paul relate to his assessment of what we would have to face in Iraq after the war
0 Replies

DaFlukes

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
here are some experts' opinions on the Wolfowitz nomination:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/03/17/wolfowitz/index.html

Quote:
"I have looked for evidence of Mr. Wolfowitz having development goals -- I have tried to find it in his speeches, and I have not been able to," says Jeffrey Sachs, the Columbia University economist who heads the U.N. Millennium Project to reduce global poverty, hunger, disease, illiteracy, environmental degradation and gender discrimination by 2015.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:16 pm
Well, Sachs and the libbies over at Salon have been reading with their eyes closed.

Wolfie has an extensive resume regarding successful participation in development of poverty-stricken countries.

He's imminently qualified. If you'd rather know the facts than parrot lies and errors, read the link I brought previously.

...or just carry on with your avoidance of the facts.

Sacks is a liar.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:46 pm
Lash, he's "imminently" qualified? A little Freudian slip, my dear? "Eminently" is the word I believe you were looking for. Smile

By the way, I started to read a couple of the articles in that link you gave me. I have to admit I was a bit lazy in my reading though, as I just wasn't much in the mood for a lot of political stuff today. From what I saw, I didn't get much more info about this plan that you were talking about earlier. Was it the whole PNAC agenda that you were talking about?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:20 pm
A little lighter reading for Kicky...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:32 pm
Hahahaha!!! Thank god I wasn't drinking anything when I opened that link or it would have been all over my computer screen.

I know that Bono is serious, but he just seems like such a clown here. Okay, I just wanted to let you know how funny that was...now I'll go back and actually read the damned thing. Hehehe...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:55 pm
Wolfie's working "pro-Bono".

<Couldn't resist>

LOL
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:01 am
The Bono endorsement worked for Paul Martin when he ran for leadership of the Liberal Party here. Bono spoke at the convention. Surprisingly good speaker. The transcript is on A2K somewhere.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:03 am
He was interviewed attending one of the political conventions here, too. Can't remember which one (DNC?), but, yes, he was impressive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:04 am
Since the Liberal party here is to the right of where the Progressive Conservative party was, I was surprised to see him turn up there. He certainly made me feel slightly less unwell about Paul Martin taking over as Prime Minister.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:08 am
He steered clear of politics in the interview I saw, although if I had to guess, I'd say he probably leans left. He always impresses me with his knowledge of the subject matter (AIDS and Africa).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:16 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=441877#441877

some bits from his speech at the convention here

you're right, JW, his speech wasn't so much political as challenging to everyone. interesting man.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:01 am
I am just about to dip into "The Rise of the Vulcans", give you a synopsis half-way thru....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0670032999.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE37_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Quote:
Whether they came from the armed services, academia, or government bureaucracy, the Vulcans all viewed the Pentagon as the principal institution from which American power should emanate. Their developing philosophy was cemented after the attacks of September 11, 2001 and is best reflected in the decision to invade Iraq. They believe that a powerful military is essential to American interests; that America is ultimately a force for good despite any negative consequences that may arise from American aggression; they are eternally optimistic about American power and dismiss any arguments about over-extension of resources; and they are skeptical about the need to consult allies or form broad global coalitions before acting.
0 Replies