Bush nominates Satan to head World Bank

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:56 pm
Baldimo wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Aaaw, don't feel so bad Green Witch. The current scum won't be in charge for very much longer now. Soon, the pendulum will have to swing back to the side of common sense...won't it?

That's what it did 5 years ago. Just think we have another 3 years of such common sense, and then we might be in trouble.

Well, we can do Jeb next, and then maybe Condoleezza. Don't worry, the conservatives have a lot more cards to play.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:57 pm
Baldimo wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Aaaw, don't feel so bad Green Witch. The current scum won't be in charge for very much longer now. Soon, the pendulum will have to swing back to the side of common sense...won't it?

That's what it did 5 years ago. Just think we have another 3 years of such common sense, and then we might be in trouble.

Ha! Now THAT'S funny!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
Has anyone heard from Dick Cheney lately? - is he still under the White House developing a new race of Orcs?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:06 pm
Heeheehee...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:01 am
kickycan wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Ha! Now THAT'S funny!

No, that's delirious!!! Shocked
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:19 am
That is Paul 'We had to invade because of the oil' Wolfowitz. I wouldn't put him in charge of a piggybank... it might be necessary to bust it open to liberate the oppressed coins within.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:19 pm
Here are the top ten reasons for nominating Wolfowitz to be head of the World Bank:

1. He would follow in the great tradition of World Bank president Robert McNamara, who also helped kill tens of thousands of people in a poor country most Americans couldn't find on a map before getting the job.

2. It helps to be a good liar when you run an institution with employees who earn over $100,000 a year to pretend to help billions of people who live on less than $1 a day.

3. With all his experience helping U.S. companies grab Iraq 's oil profits, he's got just the right experience for doling out lucrative World Bank contracts to U.S. businesses.

4. After predecessor James Wolfensohn blew millions of dollars on "consultations" with citizen groups to give the appearance of openness, Wolfowitz's tough-guy style is just what's needed to rid the World Bank of those irritating activists.

5. Unlike former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, another one of the four leading candidates, at least Wolfowitz hasn't failed at running a Fortune 500 company.

6. Unlike the Treasury Department's John Taylor, another leading candidate, at least Wolfowitz doesn't want to get rid of the institution he would head.

7. While earning a University of Chicago Ph.D. , he was exposed to the tenets of market fundamentalism that have reigned at the World Bank for decades.

8. He has experience in constructing echo chambers where only the advice he wants to hear is spoken.

9. He knows some efficient private contractors who build echo chambers for only a few hundred billion dollars (cost plus, of course).

10. He can develop a pre-emptive poverty doctrine where the World Bank could invade countries that fail to make themselves safe for U.S. business, modeled on the U.S. pre-emptive war doctrine he helped craft.

By John Cavanagh / Institute for Policy Studies
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:10 pm
Good find Dookie - I guess it's better to laugh rather than cry.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:31 pm
Wolfie's rep's been tarnished. I think if you read about him, you'd like him. His main goal is the development of third world countries--and he has been put in a position to really work his plan. But, it's not a new plan. It's been around since the industrialization of England.

The indicators of approaching developmental gains are well-known. What Bushco is doing, is actively creating these indicators, instead of waiting for them to occur. Because looking at Africa and the ME, it looks like we'll be waiting til Hell freezes over.

One of the indicators is empowerment and equality for women. One of Wolfie's pet projects, and now a central part of his and Bush's Big Plan. Wolfie has been the main proponent of this plan--and I think it's a great plan--and it's working incredibly rapidly. I think I should say plan again. Plan.

Development is the World Bank's job #1. Wolfie knows how to spend that money. Again, someone with a plan will be in a position to make a real change. We're at a moment in history when having the World Bank leader working in concert with the leader of the free world, on a great plan to improve the lives of everyone in every country they can affect is going to be quite a show.

Get some popcorn.

We're lucky there has been a Paul Wolfowitz. He'll be an important figure in world history.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:24 pm
Thanks for your response, Lash. Although I feel honored that someone of your obvious thoughtfulness and intelligence has taken the time to post here (I'm not kidding or being a smartass here either--I really do appreciate your participation here--I know I can come off as a bit, er...sarcastic), just posting a couple broad ideas that you say are in a plan and saying that it's great doesn't really tell me anything about it.

Got links?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
Noooo.... that doesn't sound sarcastic at all.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:38 pm
Geez, I think my reputation precedes me. I really didn't mean it that way.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:57 pm

All About Wolfie

At the bottom of the page are articles he's written, which give a much more personal feel of who he is.

I really liked his article on Women in Iraq, The Torture Tree (?), and the last one about Bridging the Gap.

He comes off very, very hawkish, and people tend to make one dimensional caricatures of such people. Reality is a little more nuanced than that. He carries a huge stick--but he thinks sometimes it's necessary to accomplish a greater good. I think current events bear him out.

I'm very honored at the compliment of such an astute intellectual. Made my day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:27 pm
Thanks, Lash. I appreciate the link. It will give me something to do tomorrow while I'm pretending to be working. :wink:
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:54 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Here are the top ten reasons for nominating Wolfowitz to be head of the World Bank:

1. He would follow in the great tradition of World Bank president Robert McNamara, who also helped kill tens of thousands of people in a poor country most Americans couldn't find on a map before getting the job.

2. It helps to be a good liar when you run an institution with employees who earn over $100,000 a year to pretend to help billions of people who live on less than $1 a day.

3. With all his experience helping U.S. companies grab Iraq 's oil profits, he's got just the right experience for doling out lucrative World Bank contracts to U.S. businesses.

4. After predecessor James Wolfensohn blew millions of dollars on "consultations" with citizen groups to give the appearance of openness, Wolfowitz's tough-guy style is just what's needed to rid the World Bank of those irritating activists.

5. Unlike former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, another one of the four leading candidates, at least Wolfowitz hasn't failed at running a Fortune 500 company.

6. Unlike the Treasury Department's John Taylor, another leading candidate, at least Wolfowitz doesn't want to get rid of the institution he would head.

7. While earning a University of Chicago Ph.D. , he was exposed to the tenets of market fundamentalism that have reigned at the World Bank for decades.

8. He has experience in constructing echo chambers where only the advice he wants to hear is spoken.

9. He knows some efficient private contractors who build echo chambers for only a few hundred billion dollars (cost plus, of course).

10. He can develop a pre-emptive poverty doctrine where the World Bank could invade countries that fail to make themselves safe for U.S. business, modeled on the U.S. pre-emptive war doctrine he helped craft.

By John Cavanagh / Institute for Policy Studies

Don't you always talk about the hatemongers on the right? What do you call this kind of stuff from the left? Double standard!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:24 am
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8210-1529470,00.html

COMMENT

Behind the neocon nomination
By Rhys Blakely, Times Online

While Africa battles to keep the wolf from the door, Europe's leaders are lining up to keep Wolfowitz from the World Bank.

Germany and France are "underwhelmed" at the prospect of the US Deputy Secretary of Defense - widely regarded as the architect of America's war in Iraq - taking the helm of an institution which is supposed to be battling only poverty. The 2 billion who, according to the Bank itself, live on less than $2 a day deserve a champion with the relevant know how, say the dissenters.

"We need someone with professional experience in helping people to escape from poverty, which Mr Wolfowitz does not have," said Professor Jeffrey Sachs - the Nobel Prize-winning director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, and adviser to Kofi Annan.

Dig a little deeper, however, and the resistance to Paul Wolfowitz's nomination for the World Bank post by US President George W Bush involves more than an objection to an amateur taking the post.

Earlier this year, James Wolfensohn, the outgoing chief of the Wold Bank, told Times Online that it was the organisation's job "to enhance security for poor people by reducing their vulnerability to ill health and economic shocks".

But parts of what he might term "old" Europe will always associate Mr Wolfowitz with the "shock and awe" tactics that were used to break the will of Baghdad. The creative role the World Bank aspires to, in crafting hope and a future for the impoverished, does not sit easily with memories of the terrible destructive forces wrought on Iraq.

Today, prominent voices in Washington even suggested that the appointment of the new head of the World Bank should indeed be part of the "War on Terror". So counter-intuitive is President George Bush's nomination of Mr Wolfowitz, fair-minded analysts are calling it the "mother of all wind-ups". But Mr Bush, fresh from the appointment of John Bolton, the fiery State Department hawk, as the US Ambassador to the United Nations, is deadly serious and on something of a roll.

Aiming to thwart this, Europeans are raising the spectre of Caio Koch Weser, the former World Bank official - and aide to Robert McNamara, no less - who five years ago was blocked from heading the IMF. Sauce for the goose will do for the gander, say Mr Wolfowitz's opponents. Even the American-friendly press department at No10 was moved yesterday to point out that Mr Wolfowitz's nomination was just that, a nomination, and that there may be others on the way.

But should Mr Wolfowitz's billing as the neocons' necon preclude him from taking the job?

It is plain that the world is failing Africa. An audit last year of the UN Millennium Development Goals Project, an ambitions plan launched in 2000 that called for the eradication of extreme poverty and hunger, uncovered a disturbing lack of progress. Not one part of the scheme was judged to be "on track" in sub-Saharan Africa. In some areas the situation had worsened. The number of Africans suffering from tuberculosis, for example, had actually increased since the scheme's launch.

Prof Sachs recently heaped praise on Gordon Brown's proposal for a "New Marshall Plan" for Africa. The analogy with the US aid programme directed at Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War was, he said, spot on.

"There are several reasons why it is right to invoke the original Marshall Plan," Prof Sachs told Times Online. "First, it was intensive, second it was successful, third it may remind the United States of a time when it showed a greater interest in its global role."

On two of these scores, Mr Bush's nomination has shown himself to be adept. Like it or not, in sending its troops to Iraq, the US executive, following a plan of action advocated primarily by Mr Wolfowitz, has shown that it is prepared to assume a global role in an intensive fashion.

But America's execution is open to criticism. A report by Gareth Evans, the former Australian foreign minister, recently warned that "bad or corrupt" business practices have contributed to poverty and human rights abuse. The various debacles in Iraq involving Halliburton and US Army contracts and the spectacle of Abu Ghraib have raised a massive question mark over the executive abilities of those who run the US Defense Department. There is simply no room for such doubts, many will argue, at an international institution as important as the World Bank. In many ways, the organisation does not need the baggage borne by Mr Wolfowitz.

Finally, there remains from Prof Sach's development triptych the prickly question of success. For some, the Wolfowitz-designed war will forever represent an indefensible and illogical act of aggression that rode roughshod over international law. Others see the episode as a profound military blunder. And then there are others for whom the possibility of a "cedar revolution" in Lebanon justifies the strategy of pre-emptive action that toppled an evil dictator in a nearby state.

Such debate could rage for decades. Africa cannot wait.
0 Replies

Thomas Hayden

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:08 am
What's the matter? Wolfowitz's performance in Iraq doesn't mean he'll do badly running the World Bank. If his appointment is due to political reasons, there' nothing to complain about it... the chairmanship of the WB is a political post, not a technical one. Common sense, self-confidence and instinct are the most valuable tools when negotiating the payment of foreign debt, or granting a billion dollar loan... And I think Wolfowitz has plenty of them.

Being able to create a macroecomic model, explain interaction between different markets or countries or understand how demand and supply adjust along the time is his advisors' task... As it is happening with GW and has happened with the majority of American presidents. Would you require the President to be an expert in Constitutional Law? The same applies to the World Bank.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:06 am
Good point, Thomas. Why require any expertise at all when you can have someone who is confident? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:52 am
Or, better yet, in lock-step with your ideology.

The world bank is a tool of control for developing countries. Oh, they may say the goal is to help these countries industrialize, but it isn't.

Check it out:

http://www.econjustice.net/wbbb/docs/WBfactsheet0303.pdf

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 12:26 pm
Thomas Hayden wrote:
What's the matter? Wolfowitz's performance in Iraq doesn't mean he'll do badly running the World Bank. If his appointment is due to political reasons, there' nothing to complain about it... the chairmanship of the WB is a political post, not a technical one. Common sense, self-confidence and instinct are the most valuable tools when negotiating the payment of foreign debt, or granting a billion dollar loan... And I think Wolfowitz has plenty of them.

Being able to create a macroecomic model, explain interaction between different markets or countries or understand how demand and supply adjust along the time is his advisors' task... As it is happening with GW and has happened with the majority of American presidents. Would you require the President to be an expert in Constitutional Law? The same applies to the World Bank.

He. he. he. Ha.

I thought Bernie Ebbers was the only one who thought it didn't take any knowledge of anything to run an organization. Not that jury believed it, but he seemed to be claiming the same thing that Thomas is doing here, yuh just has to show up and grin and things will flow from there. I am starting to believe that Dyslexia is passing up a chance here to run a pretty cool outfit. Come on, Dys, it's the World Bank, man.

Hey, maybe if Ken Lay does better with his jury, he can come on over and help Paul with the sitting in the big office but not knowing much about nothing situations.

Quote:
As it is happening with GW and has happened with the majority of American presidents. Would you require the President to be an expert in Constitutional Law? The same applies to the World Bank

I think it would be a splendid idea if we had some kind of assurance that our President had at least read about the Constitution before taking the oath to defend it. And yes, I would prefer that my President would offer candidates for office who had some semblance of credibility, but then look to who he awards the Medal of Freedom for some reference to his ability to judge competence. (See also Dr. C. Rice on the Prevention of Terrorist Attacks in the USA>)

Joe(Let us try to achieve the dumbdown without acrimony)Nation
0 Replies