Bring Back Prohibition

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:09 am
I would sign, but my alcoholic Christian fundamentalist neighbor would stone me to death.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:18 am
But as mentioned, pre WWI, or even in the 50's, we had some other oddities. All stores closed when I was a kid in Florida - except drug stores. Huh!!!? Now, my drug store is open Monday - Saturday. The supermarket sells the booze Monday - Monday.

Hang in there SCoates. April 1 is for amatures; you just keep working at random.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:56 pm
Close to where I live there is a gas/petrol station with a bottle shop next door - they aren't the same business tho. Now the shopping chain that the booze store is connected to has a deal that allows you to get cheap fuel when you purchase from them - the receipt is the voucher to be presented at the counter when buying the fuel.

'Bewdy!', says I, 'so you CAN drink and drive!'.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:11 pm
There are too many drive thru liquor stores in Arizona for prohibition to be passed.

Can you believe it. DRIVE THRU LIQUOR STORES!!!!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:29 pm
maporsche wrote:
There are too many drive thru liquor stores in Arizona for prohibition to be passed.

Can you believe it. DRIVE THRU LIQUOR STORES!!!!!

Yeah, there's like a gazillion where I'm from. I feel that it adds a frission of danger to purchasing - I could get run over by some booze-hungry driver talking on a cell-phone to his friends about what to pick up*.

And if that is the case (Arizona = drive-thru booze) why do they say that West Virginia is 'almost Heaven'??

*the 'Paula-Abdul-Defense'
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:18 am
Of course I can believe it, maporsche. Exactly the same in New Mexico - except the Big Rez, of course, which is dry <snicker> by decree of the Navajo Nation.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:28 am
You would certainly have mob support for any effort to return to prohibition, their Golden Age. Things have been a bit tougher lately. Legalized gambling run by large corporations has put such a squeeze on the numbers racket that it faces extinction. Floating crap games have sunk as Celebrities play high stakes poker on television for mass entrainment. The Asian gangs have taken over extortion insurance, and the latinos control the flow of illicit drugs. We need to restore prohibition as a means of returning profit to those patriotic guys whose folks came from Sicily. The God Father resurrected, hallelujah!

Though some of the morally self-righteous would like to legislate morality, that is of more danger to liberty than the evils they would like to ban. There will always be some who destroy themselves and bring suffering to others through their own selfishness and destructive behavior. Most folks though either will either totally avoid sex, drugs and rock'n roll, or take them in moderation. Its pretty hard to enforce laws that significant numbers of people don't agree with.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:34 am
In re. drive through liquor stores in Arizona

In Louisiana Daquries (probably spelled wrong, a strong alchololic drink whose ingredients are not known to me ... rum, I think) are openly sold and consumed on the roads and streets.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:32 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Close to where I live there is a gas/petrol station with a bottle shop next door...'.

Due to our laws re opening shops (= closed from 20:00h onwards and not open on Sundays) petrol stations earn the most money with selling spirits, liquors, beer.
0 Replies