Bring Back Prohibition

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
Well, I've been reviewing some old laws, and it turns out Prohibition in America was only informaly renounced. It's still a law, just sort of dormant and unacknowledged.

Amazingly, and somewhat offensively, therefor all that is required to reinact the law is a petition with but five signatures.

So what do you say? Who's with me on this?

Just give your consent, and once I get the permission of four individuals, besides myself, I'll rush this to Bush... or a state senator or something...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:13 am
Sounds fun. Unfortunately I'm not from the US, or you would have had my signature just for the hell of it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
Shocked

But what about the beer?? The new Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant has 15 different beers on tap. And plenty more in the cooler......
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:27 am
That is just what is needed a little more government interference in our lives.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:34 am
Re: Bring Back Prohibition
SCoates wrote:
Well, I've been reviewing some old laws, and it turns out Prohibition in America was only informaly renounced. It's still a law, just sort of dormant and unacknowledged.

Amazingly, and somewhat offensively, therefor all that is required to reinact the law is a petition with but five signatures.

So what do you say? Who's with me on this?

Just give your consent, and once I get the permission of four individuals, besides myself, I'll rush this to Bush... or a state senator or something...

Are you sure? I thought it was a repealed amendment. Off to search.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
I believe FreeDuck is correct. Prohibition amendment was repealed. It was a foolish law in the first place, created because of pressure from anti-immigrant, cultural conservative groups.

Such a thing could never happen again. Or could it???
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:40 am
If it happened once, I think it can happen again.
Unfortunatly.. Confused
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:41 am
So, I looked it up. Like D'art said, the 18th ammendment was repealed, but it was then left up to the states. So, theoretically, states can still have prohibition. But I guess once they figured out how much revenue there was to gain in the form of taxes, none of them chose to.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:42 am
Never say never.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
That's why they call them "amendments".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
OK, if it will bring back the roaring 20's with it's speakeasys, flappers and gang wars.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:05 am
Well, I believe there are still some "dry counties" out there. And states with some fairly arcane rules about buying the stuff. Makes life interesting when you're on the road...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:09 am
Lubbock is a dry county. It IS interesting how they keep that law in place, yet serve alcohol...... Confused
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:47 pm
So... do I have your signatures?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:48 pm
no, not me. sorry....l like my beer or my wine or my Tom Collins on a Saturday night .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
Not me, either. I grew up during the era of Blue Laws (no businesses open on Sundays, if you can believe that). The fewer restrictions, the better....
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:26 pm
I'll sign on...just as soon as I go get sh*tfaced drunk first. That way, nobody will recognize my signature.

> hic <

But if we prohibited alcohol again, then what's keeping us from becoming a stoner nation?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 06:51 pm
Sobriety?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 07:01 pm
Shove it back to pre-WW1. You could still smoke grass, buy medical-grade cocaine and morphine over the counter - probably OK to import hashish, peyote buttons, mushrooms, absinthe, khat, yohimbe, and ephedrine in commercial quantities.

It would then be the 'United Wastes of America'. Dude.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
You could still smoke grass

Hmmmm....>>considering<<
0 Replies