choose a sentence..give me your view

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
Hi, I have the following questions as usual:

1)How can we use these words to give a perfect meaning,
throwing up, vomit, barf, buke.

2)Which grammatically better to say,

It was a feeling I went through / had been through years ago.

3)How can we use these words,

ring, tinkle, toll

And can I say bong to describe any clanging sounds?

4)The house has the same oddness/strangeness.

5)I heard him saying that politely/civilly/mannerly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 690 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Waldo2

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
1) I don't know quite what you are asking.

2) These are relatively interchangeable, but I'd probably choose had been through, because it uses the past participle of the verb. Most English words take the same form in the preterite and past participle. However, when they do not, the participial form is preferable for referring to an experience that took place over time and which was concluded in its entirety in the past.

Still, that's nitpicking, and you can choose either one.

3) Ring, tinkle and toll all have multiple meanings. However, it seems fairly clear that you are referring to each word as it pertains to sound.

Just look up the definitions of each type of sound.

Off the top of my head:
A tinkle is the sound of a tiny bell.
A ring is the sound of a larger bell, and to ring is to strike a bell.
To toll is an infinitive that means to strike a bell to signal an event, such as the arrival of the hour.

Bong is not a suggested word for describing the sound of clanging. It is somewhat onomatopoetic, meaning that the any sound described by the word "bong" should sound somewhat like the word "bong".

4) I don't think it matters much which one you choose. They are synonyms and both are commonly used.

5) One can be civil but not polite. Civil denotes an attitude that is not hostile. Polite denotes an attempt to show courteousy.

While mannerly is an adverb, it doesn't sound quite right in this context. I suppose it would fit if the manners of the subject were in question or were the topic of conversation.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:27 pm
I don't understand your question or what you want.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm
Hi navigator,
As far as the first example, they all refer to the same thing, but "vomit" is the most formal, and would be used in most written communication. "Throw up" comes next, then it's a tie between "barf" and "puke"... those would only be used in the most casual conversation. There are more euphemisms for the same thing (aren't there always?) but the ones you mention will cover any conceivable situation.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 09:15 am
Thanks everybody, thanks Wy.I was asking about the precise using of these words as I always do.

Sorry for replying late
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:51 pm
Re: choose a sentence..give me your view
navigator wrote:
Hi, I have the following questions as usual:
2)Which grammatically better to say,

It was a feeling I went through / had been through years ago.

They're both grammatically good, but they mean different things. Had been through years ago means that years ago, you had already been through it...whereas I went through it [years ago] means that the feelings actually occured years ago. Since years ago is inspecific, they "evaluate" to the same meaning in this particular case.

Quote:
3)How can we use these words,

ring, tinkle, toll

ring - like a bell? this can be used as a metaphor as well, as in "her story rang true"

tinkle - a weak/small sounding bell, or a whiz

toll - a tax, monetary of physical

Quote:
And can I say bong to describe any clanging sounds?

"bonk" would make more sense, although it describes to the clanging/bashing action instead of the noise...I've never heard bong used that way. You know that a bong is for smoking weed right?

Quote:
4)The house has the same oddness/strangeness.

I would try to avoid using those forms of the word (oddness/strangeness). Odd and strange are pretty much equivalent words.

Quote:
5)I heard him saying that politely/civilly/mannerly.

examples of most common ways to use those words:

he was very mannerly

he spoke politely

he was very civil
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:28 am
Thanks stuh.It's new for me to know that bong is a kind of smoking thingy, but I understand that the verb means something like ringing or sound of a clang maybe.I know about bonk which means bash or hit.

Also, bonkers means crazy or nuts ( colloquial ).
0 Replies