If end is near, do you want to know?

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:41 am
If end is near, do you want to know?
(CNN) -- If scientists detect a killer asteroid shortly before it slams into Earth, should the public be informed?
One researcher, Geoffrey Sommer of the Rand Corp., a Santa Monica, California-based think tank, believes the best answer in some cases is no.

If astronomers detect a planet-killing asteroid right before it hits Earth, would you want to know? I think in that situation as the saying goes"Ignorance is bliss" Rolling Eyes

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/28/asteriod.alert/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,569 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
to be aware of impending finality would, i think, cause great chaos for most of us as we pondered our own values and how we have not lived our lives consistent with our beliefs, how much we have tossed aside for convience.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
Oy.

I wonder about this re: the shuttle, by the way. Everything I've read indicates that there was nothing they could have done, and that they may have been really concerned about what would happen. But if nothing could be done...?

You don't know anything you aren't telling us, do ya, au? Wink

I think if it were an individual thing -- I personally will die in 24 hours, or whatever -- I'd want to know. If it is a whole-world catastrophe, though, I don't think I would, because of what would happen to the world in those last 24 hours. It would be insane, and horrible, and I'd prefer to just go about our daily lives and then go poof.

That said, I also want to make sure that I do things like make sure my daughter knows how much I love her every minute of every day.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:30 am
Can you imagine the riots and suicides and murders and.....? I would say definately no. However, keeping it a secret would be impossible. If a bunch of scientists knew it they would change their behavior, tell their families, leak it to the media. I would guess that eveyone would know.

I'd rather live my last few hours in peaceful ignorance as life is hard enough. I could think of a million arguments for this on a large scale, and I wouldn't want to control other peoples want for knowledge - but if it were just a choice fo me - still no.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:41 am
sozobe

Quote:

You don't know anything you aren't telling us, do ya, au?

I will let you know in 24 hours Twisted Evil
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 11:03 am
au1929: what a hoot you are Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
I would certainly want to know.

I have already been through this once. I have been made aware that I am going to die in the next 100 years. This is a terrible tragedy.

Considering that the world has been here for 5 billion years and the universe 12 or 13, 100 years is nothing. The Universe owes me more than this. I am being cheated.

That being said I am glad I know of my certain impending fate. At least I can make the most of the incredibly short time I have left.

If my time here were shortened by this mere 99 years and 364 days that you are suggesting, it wouldn't make much of difference in the big scheme of things.

But I would still want to know.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 06:58 pm
I need to know ASAP, so I can call up Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron and finally have that threesome we've dreamed so much about... Well, I have, anyway.

Plus, I have to empty my bank account, run up my credit cards and then hope the asteroid doesn't miss!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:58 pm
No.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:14 am
Yes ..<sigh>
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:36 am
Yes, I would want to know. I want a chance to say goodbye and make our last days together memorable. I do not think that there would be any riots or murders (what would be the point?), but people should have the choice to end their lives on their own terms instead of being vaporized.

And if we knew of our impending doom, billions of people would turn to God and pray. Perhaps he would be moved to intervene and divert the asteroid.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:02 am
Terry

Quote:
I do not think that there would be any riots or murders (what would be the point?),

I must say you have a lot more confidence in the nature of man than I do. Having lived through a greater part of the last century and witnessed man's inhumanity I have no doubt that riots, mayhem, looting and, etc., will accompany the announcement.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
Of course I would want to know, whether it is a global catastrophe, or my own demise.
0 Replies