Drinking water

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:40 am
Ive just been handed a leaflet with my health insurance at work.

In the leaflet it says
'Dehydration can cause headaches,dizziness,lethargy,reduced concentration,and impaired co-ordination'.

I regularly have these symptoms.
Only a couple of weeks ago I drank a 1.5 litre bottle of water in about 30 minutes but did not notice any benefits from it.
Yes it quenches my thirst and, as I sit here sipping my big bottle of water, im sure it is doing my 'inerds' alot of good, but I never notice any help in the above symptoms.

Whats goin on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,341 • Replies: 20
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:46 am
Your guess is as good as mine, material girl.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:48 am
So whats your guess??Dont leave me hangin!!Hehe.

Im wondering exactly how much I need to drink in order to catch up on what my fluids should be in order to function normally.

The trouble is Im in constant need of toilet visits.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:50 am
I think drinking water is vastly overrated. I might drink one or two glasses a year and I am one of the healthiest individuals you will ever encounter.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
Are you sure you're not just naturally dizzy, material girl?

Are you blonde?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:56 am
Quote:
'Dehydration can cause headaches,dizziness,lethargy,reduced concentration,and impaired co-ordination'.

Material girl- And so can many other conditions, some physical, some psychological. If you are suffering from these symptoms, I would suggest a complete physical checkup from your MD, with blood work. ( The blood work is very important. It can "solve" a lot of mysteries!) Don't wait, and good luck!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:17 am
Cripes, I seem to be a walking disater area!!

Nope Gust, Im a true chestnutty brunette.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:23 am
Water is a swell cure. Ya just gotta have the right problem.

Get that bloodwork. Could be serious. Could also be easily treated.

Chestnutty brunette Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:19 am
Oh yes,brunettes are best baby!!None of that Pamela Anderson stuff going on here!!
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:29 am
She's a fake blon... I mean... everything.

I have heard that 90% of headaches are caused by dehydration...

That's all I know.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:50 am
It could also because you're not eating properly, or enough. If you only eat a couple times a day, your energy levels are going to go through ups and downs...spread meals out over 4-6 times during a day. Keeps your metabolism going, and you'll have steadier energy levels.

And you should be drinking more than a liter of water a day. Not like you can just chug down some water and all your problems disappear.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:02 am
Have you consulted a physician about your symptoms?

2 Cents
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
I dont like going to doctors.i feel like im just causing them problems(silly I know).
Id like ot eat smal meals a few times a day but I never know what to eat at meal times and thats only 2/3 times a day so Id be useless thinking of 6 meals.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:30 am
Eating twice a day just isn't healthy, and may be part of the reason you're feeling like crap. It slows down your metabolism as well, because your body has to adjust to using those two meals to provide energy for the whole day. This can lead to the dizziness and lethargy you're talking about.

When I say 4-6 "meals," this doesn't mean full blown dinners. Even if you just have a nutrition bar, or some yogurt and fruit, it will help. It's not that hard to adjust to a well rounded diet.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
Yep, your right.Ive come to like peppers(especially red ones)I could snack on them, and carrots and apples.
Im lactose intolerant so yoghurt is a no no.

After I eat my tummy goes doolally and I have to sit in discomfort for hours which I dont like doing which is why I havnt done it before, but time for a change.

Why do we only eat twice a day??Whose silly idea was that??!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:49 am
I agree with Slappy re: eating 4-6 small meals during the day. You should try to have a small amount of protein at each of those mini-meals to help stabilize any blood sugar spikes. Good protein sources include low-fat dairy, nuts, beans and lean meats. Hummus is a good snack because it has a good mix of carbs, protein and mono-unsaturated fat. The water you take in should be spread out over the course of the day - 8 oz or so every couple hours.

The symptoms you listed can also all be the result of anemia (low iron) which is another manifestation of not eating right. They can also be caused by a number of other things.

I'd suggest a visit to the dr. for some blood work to help differentiate dehydration from anemia from ???? Also, you should be taking a good multivitamin with iron each day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:57 am
Good point.

Women in particular should take a multivitamin, considering most don't eat properly(well most people in general don't). A women's multi will have iron and calcium, two things they usually don't get enough of through their diets, since iron is from red meat(and women lose blood), and calcium through dairy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:06 pm
Thank you, Dr. Slappy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:01 am
Hmm, i did take iron tablets a few months back for about a mnth as I heard it was good for the skin but again, I didnt see any benefits.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Thank you, Dr. Slappy.

You're very welcome.

By the way, did that cream I gave you clear up your ass herpes?
0 Replies