Threat level for every flyer

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:49 am
U.S. plan: Threat level for every flyer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Civil liberties groups are objecting to a government plan for a new system that would check background information and assign a threat level to everyone who buys a ticket for a commercial flight.
Activists see the potential for unconstitutional invasions of privacy and for database mix-ups that could lead to innocent people being branded security risks.
"This system threatens to create a permanent blacklisted underclass of Americans who cannot travel freely," said Katie Corrigan, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union.
I can't quite make up my mind whether the implementation of this system is the right way to go or if it is too intrusive and will be subject to many errors. What color do you think you will fall under?
What is your opinion? Needed/not needed? Too Intrusive? Prone to mistakes and will lead to mislabeling people? Another color coded fiasco?
Overkill?
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/02/28/airport.security.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,585 • Replies: 32
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:24 am
the potential for error and abuse are frightening.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:19 am
Ditto dys. Betting there is no established procedure for removing oneself from the lists, or even knowing if one is on it, without actually tripping over it.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:33 am
Scares me very much.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:11 pm
There is way too much history for this kind of thing. From blacklists to Dr. King you would think we would of learned by now.

But, for the bright side look at Daniel Schorr (the NPR news analyst). He was on Nixon's enemies list. Now they use this fact to full advantage whenever they promote him.

When the country is a bit more sane, it might turn out to be a point of honor. I hope I speak out enough to warrant my inclusion. I may start being suspicious of those people whose shoes aren't checked when they get on board.

Incidently the last time I flew (a little less than a year ago) I had to take off my shoes 3 times on one trip to Florida. I don't know what it was about me that warranted so much attention.

Eric "I'm Sparticus" Brown-Muñoz
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:29 pm
Does the little old lady with rhinestone rimmed glasses pose the same threat as a young male student who recently arrived from Yeman?

Is a forty year old banker from Little Rock pose the same risk as a convicted felon who converted to Islam while serving 20 years on weapons charges?

By focusing security attention on those who pose the greatest threat, travel might be less burdensome and time consuming. The narrower focus would also be more efficient and effective in reducing the overall threat to airline passengers.

Certainly there is some risk of abuse, just as there is some risk that a bomb might be carried aboard an airplane by a Valley Girl.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:18 pm
I've never been able to make sense of any airline/airport security measures. Last year, when I was returning from Tucson to Toronto, they did an extremely thorough inspection of my sandals, which were so old and thin as to be almost transparent.

The screeners in Toronto were intrigued by 2 cat-shaped hair clips i was taking littlek as gifts last fall, and i had to dig them out of my knapsack to be examined.Then, when I was flying from Boston back to Toronto, I reached into my purse to find my house keys - almost flipped when I had to move my large swiss army knife aside to get to the keys - that purse had been searched 3 times (once right at the gate), and they'd taken the keys out in 2 of the searches. I've got to say, that's probably the most nervous I've ever felt on a flight - and i was the one with the knive!

For the amount I was searched, I clearly seem to be a risk. Regrettably, the one time i had something worth commenting on, they missed it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:43 pm
flying home from Sydney this past spring, 5 security people spent over 30 mins taking apart and examing my zippo lighter, including removing the wick and flint.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:56 pm
You are obviously a suspicious character. Poets are especially dangerous with all those dreamy visions.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:58 pm
I use a cane to walk with and great difficulty and some assistance. Am also in my seventies. When I flew to Wis. to visit my son last year I had to remove my shoes because they set off the alarm. I should note that the inspector knew they would because all Rockport pro walkers are made with metal lasts. I got even though he had to get a chair and both take off and put on my shoes.
I should note however, this system will not change that procedure they will still perform the electronic sweep.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:02 pm
Asherman your probably right Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:04 pm
Some of the best shoes use a steel shank under the arch. I suppose a2kers can be expected to be well shod.

Point taken, Asherman, but what are the criteria for being included, and how does a legitimate traveler get off the list?
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:52 pm
I had my revenge at Honolulu Interntional. After Wackerhut Security put me through it a couple of times in Hilo causing me to miss one flight Christmas a year ago I was ready for them on my return.

I bought a beach mat, took it down to Wakiki Beach and filled the center area with sand. LOTS. At the airport, and as usual I was asked to step out of line he eyed my rolled beach mat and he asked me to open it. I accomodated him, I undid the little strings and let it roll. Sand went all over him. I can still hear the laughter in the terminal. People were practically rolling on the floor.

REVENGE OF THE HILO WAHINE
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:18 am
seaglass- I loved your story! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:23 am
Not bad, seaglass. Not bad at all. Personally, I dread the security checks. The implant in my left shoulder is only slightly less massive than an S&W Chief Special and just a little high for a shoulder holster.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 07:47 am
ehBeth,

It is a good thing that you are confused by the security checks. This is the idea. If you know what to expect, any terrorists will certainly know as well.

Asherman,

This is a common theme in our discussions, but I want to state it again in this context.

Our country has a deep-rooted and persistant problem with racial discrimination. Racial profiling has been a consistant problem. We see this in the current controversy where states are suspending the death penalty. A few years ago in Boston the truth about racial profiling came to light when a prominent basketball player was stopped in a wealthy suberb while looking at houses because it was suspicious for a black man to be there. This kind of discrimination is injust and damages our society.

Don't tell me this is not a racial issue. People are being treated with suspicion becuase of the country they are from, or even the color of their skin. This is by definition a race issue.

There are two objections I have to your point of view.

First, If the terrorists know what criteria we are using to single people out for harsher treatment, they will simply avoid these stereotypes. Couldn't a smart terrorist find a well-dressed light-skinned older person that they could give a rhinestone necklace? Remember that not all terrorists are Muslims. Are we willing to forget the other fanatics who have done us harm?

Second, and I want to make this clear, claims that pur country is in imminent danger of being wiped off the face of the Earth are exagerrated. We have had two large terrorist attacks in the past 10 years. These tragedies have been horrible, but they are not even in the top 10 causes of premature deaths in this country.

I doubt that your efforts to base security on stereotype would work. But, even if it did, the slight increase of security is not worth sacraficing our most sacred national values.

"They that can give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
-Benjamin Franklin
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:44 am
Roger, my own stainless steel war souvenirs get special attention from airport security folk. I've heard tales of significant inconvenience experienced by women foolish enough to wear an underwire bra to the boarding gate. I note too the screening personnel still appear to be the same officious, slightly bored, lower-socio-economic sort who, even if native speakers, seem to have trouble with American English. There is a distinct lack of clean-cut, bright-eyed, eager young college types in that roster. The current system is deeply flawed. On the other hand, an elderly sort with man-made skeletal work is picked out every time.

timber
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:48 am
ebrown p - what confuses me most is that they missed the knife they HAD to move to pull out my house keys.

if i had been a terrorist with 'intentions', i'd have been ready to go.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
Great stuff here. I love passive-aggressive behaviors, seaglass. And ehBeth, puzzling indeed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:10 pm
Why do they check all shoes except sneakers? Wasn't the guy trying to set fire to his shoes wearing sneakers?
0 Replies