Just Had the Flu

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
Hi everyone,

Mr. Kitten & I just got our first flu in many years, and WOW have we been sick! It started a week ago... at one point I spent 36 hours straight in bed, hardly able to make it to the bathroom.

We both ran very high fevers to the point of delirium, with the fever lowering nightly for several nights. Then coughing, nose runs, ear pain, body aches, backaches, exhaustion, the whole 9 yards.

After a full week we're still both very ill, but able to do things like walk to the mailbox and do the laundry. I imagine our cough/congestion stuff will last for a while yet.

We usually don't get flu shots-- I'm 43, he's 47, and we're not in the medical professions, but I'm sure considering it for next year! I got a shot one year & was ill for a day or 2. With the shortage this year I figured we weren't high on the list of priority people.

Anyway I was just wondering if any other A2Kers got the flu this year. Also, what's the backache about? Wow, does it hurt!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 991 • Replies: 18
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
Oh no, sorry you were so ill!

Glad you're feeling better now.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
Hi BorisKitten,

I am so sorry that you and Mr. Kitten are going through the flu this year. It's just plain miserable! I feel for you both very much as I had it start about 3 or 4 weeks ago and was very sick also with pretty much your exact symptoms. Definitely expect the cough and congestion to linger on and on and on...mine is still there and the backache (for me) just kind of comes and goes still instead of that intense one you described.

I didn't get a flu shot either, knowing there were a lot more in need of it than I. The only thing I ride it out with now is Tylenol and Nyquil and lots of decaf hot tea.

Hang in there, you two....it will get better....eventually! Sad
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
Feel better soon, BK. I haven't had it but Mr B had it all last week and I shared a hotel room and long car ride with someone who came down with it this weekend. I'm hoping I don't get it next week.

Take care!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Man, I was just going to post on the "what made you punch yourself in the groin, er, I mean, grit your teeth today" thread.

About 1 month ago, I was SO damn sick. Flu, cold, and completely lost my voice for 3 days(some may say this is a GOOD thing..unfortunately for you folks, I could still type). It lasted about 1 week, and I USED to think I had a great immune system: never get sick, and get over sickness really fast.

Well Friday night I started to feel some flu-symptons in my head, stayed in, felt OK yesterday, went out last night and drank like Slappy do. Today, not even hungover, but feels like the flu is in full affect.

Maybe it's the gym? Sales appointments? Sucks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
I hope you feel better soon, Slappy. A month is too long to be sick (I guess you've figured that out already).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 08:34 pm
Oooh, poor flu-ridden pals (cough the other way please). I had a whopper of flu several years ago, serious fever, nasty sinus pain, night sweats, delirium. That part lasted for days and then I was hacking for weeks. I feel for you (go wash your hands please).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
Oh, poor Mr & Mrs BK! Sad

I'm so glad you're on the mend! Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:23 pm
Mrs edgarblythe and I are just recovered enough from flu to go back to work tomorrow.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:31 pm
I wondered where you were BorisKitten.
Hope you feel better soon, and get a flu shot next year.

I get a flu shot every year (except this year due to the shortage of flu vaccinations) and toi toi toi haven't
had the in years. I get sometimes a cold while flying
overseas, but I usualy pump myself with OTC drugs
and within a couple of days, I feel fine.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:53 pm
Boris, sorry to hear your not feeling well. May you and the Mr. have a speedy recovery.

I haven't been sick with anything since last year, I shall knock on wood.

I don't get flu shots.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 05:53 am
Oh, so happy to hear such kind wishes from everyone! Now I'm down to feeling sort of "off," with a very bad cough & congestion, which is a big improvement.

The CDC claims you can transmit the flu for a day before and 7 days after showing flu symptoms. They say to stay at least 3 ft, preferably 5 ft away from everyone. We've been very careful to have no contact with people during this time... Mr. Kitten missed a whole week of work, I think it's the first time in his life!

Slappy, that's scary, since your flu started so long ago... that's the worst part, possibly getting pneumonia or worse when your immune system is down & out after the flu. Watch it, OK?

Hey, let's ALL get flu shots next year!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:24 am
This fall I received a flu shot. About three weeks ago, I started feeling ill, and spiked a fever of 103 degrees. I went to the doctor, and he told me that I had the flu. He also said that the shot only works completely with 60% of the people who recieve the shot. (This doc's specialty is infectious diseases.) I was given both an antibiotic, and Tamiflu, an anti viral made especially for influenza.

Anyhow, I had very severe chest congestion, and felt very weak. The symptoms lasted 2 1/2 weeks. The upside was that I did not have the body aches that plague people with this illness.I suppose that I could thank the flu shot for that.

In my area, a lot of people who have gotten the shot, have come down with the flu, which gets me to wondering! Confused
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:04 am
Phoenix, and here I was just reading on CDC's website how they're congratulating themselves on the excellent "coverage" this year's flu shots have provided! You know, every year they "guess" which strains of flu will be around and base the shots on those guesses. So much for that!

It does seem a bit late in the season to be seeing so much flu. Sorry to hear you got the darned thing anyway! That's got to be frustrating. But you're OK now, right?

CDC has some panicky stuff on their website about the latest Avian flu in Asia, which has a 75% fatality rate & which is resistant to 2 of the 4 anti-virals used for flu. They are so rarely panicky, it's scary. Last I read, 55 people had gotten it and 42 of them had died. I TRY not to worry about stuff in advance.... but it's worth keeping an eye on, I suppose.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:25 am
Quote:

It does seem a bit late in the season to be seeing so much flu.

BorisKitten- When I first got the flu, in February, I (naturally) checked it out on a few websites. Apparently, this year, the peak period for flu was later this year than is usual.

When I looked at one of the flu "maps" today, it seems that the illness is starting to cool down.

Here is a nice little site where you can determine the extent of flu in your area:

http://www.tamiflu.com/consumer_zip.asp

Although nationally, the flu has subsided a bit, in my area, it is at the top of the chart!

I am ok now, thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:34 am
Wow, it's a 10 here, too! Something wierd going on in Florida.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:41 am
Quote:
Something wierd going on in Florida.

Looks like Florida is the US capital for weird in many areas of life! Laughing
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:11 am
Teehee! Well, it always was... unless you count California.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:26 am
BorisKitten- You have to admit, that although California has held the honor of "weird" for many decades, Florida is quickly gaining on them! Very Happy
0 Replies