Terri Schiavo to be Starved to Death

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:12 pm
Lash wrote:
If she can open her eyes, she cannot be brain dead. If she can breathe unassisted, she cannot be brain-dead.

Found an interesting link:

Quote:
There are two types of patients who exhibit Higher Brain Death who are not Brain Dead: Anencephalic infants and adults in a persistent (or permanent) vegetative state. [..] Someone who is in a Persistent (or Permanent) Vegetative State (PVS) is one whose neo-cortical functioning has been destroyed by disease or injury, so that she or he is in a "chronic state of wakefulness without awareness." Since the patient still has brain stem functioning respiration, digestion, reflex response, homeostatic mechanisms, circulation, and so forth all take place spontaneously. However, the patient has lost the ability to be conscious. The patient is incapable of consciously experiencing, although there are responses to stimuli. [..] There have been those in persistent vegetative states who have regained a rudimentary consciousness and low level of functioning, and this has led to extreme cautiousness. Though these events have taken place only with patients who have been in a persistent vegetative state for less than six months, current practice is to hold out on a diagnosis of irreversibility until someone has been in a Persistent Vegetative State for 12 months. [..]

By looking at confusions over the definition of human death, we can see some confusions over the essence of human life. Because of our desire to preserve human life, we have developed medical technologies to replace the functioning of the body with mechanical devices, transplants, and biochemical additives (hormone replacement, insulin injections, . . .). The essence of human life, however, is not the life of the organism so much as the life of the conscious mental processes that the organism supports. When we strive to prolong life, we are striving to prolong those mental processes. Nevertheless, we are very far from adopting the Higher Brain definition of death. [..] When we later read about Karen Ann Quinlan, we will learn that her family fought to have her removed from a respirator (essentially euthanasia), because she was in a persistent vegetative state. When the nurses in the Catholic hospital where she was a patient predicted the court would rule in favor of the family, they took steps to wean her from the respirator, so that cardio-pulmonary activity did not cease with her removal. Her parents took her home, where she died seven years later. They kept her human organism "alive" through naso-gastric feeding, changing of bedclothes, regular massage and movement of limbs, etc., although her consciousness was irretrievably absent. Those who are in a Persistent Vegetative state look like living organisms, metabolize like living organisms, and maintain homeostasis like living organisms. Our culture would have a very difficult time coming to treat them as living organisms, but dead human persons.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:14 pm
ok for starters:
Quote:
The legislation would give Schiavo's parents the right to file suit in federal court over the withdrawal of food and medical treatment needed to sustain the life of their daughter.

In simple terms this bill over-rules Florada state law (and all 50 state laws defining legal next of kin as spouse and goes on to specifically name Terri's parents as legal next of kin (could just as easily name Fred Swartz) do you think the US Congress has this authority?

Quote:
It says the court, after determining the merits of the suit, "shall issue such declaratory and injunctive relief as may be necessary to protect the rights" of the woman. Injunctive relief in this case could mean the reinserting of feeding tubes.

Here again the amazing hubris of the DeLay/Frist Repubs to not only demand the courts accept jurisdiction which the Supremes have already rejected but go on to order the court to make a finding specified by an act o f congress with out Constitutional authority. Ypu can hardly bemoan "judicial activisism" when we have this "legislative" demand to a for a judicial finding. I'm not a lawyer but I play one on a2k...

legislative demand of a court finding>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:22 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:
Viewing all of the evidence as a whole, and acknowledging that medicine is not a precise science, the court finds that the credible evidence overwhelmingly supports the view that Terry Schiavo remains in a persistent vegetative state. Even Dr. Maxfield acknowledges that vegetative patients can track on occasion and that smiling can be a reflex.

Quote:
The Mandate requires something more than a belief, hope or "some" improvement. It requires this court to find, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the treatment offers such sufficient promise of increased cognitive function in Mrs. Schiavo's cerebral cortex so as to significantly improve her quality of life. There is no such testimony, much less a preponderance of the evidence to that effect. The other doctors, by contrast, all testified that there was no treatment available to improve her quality of life. They were also able to credibly testify that neither hyperbaric therapy nor vasodilatation therapy was an effective treatment for this sort of injury. That being the case, the court concludes that the Respondents have not met the burden of proof cast upon them by the Mandate and their Motion.

http://www.libertytothecaptives.net/order_nov_22_2002.html

Maybe the courts should have consulted Lash before their
ruling was finalized.

Maybe Calamity Jane should consult Lash before posting crap that doesn't contradict Lash's post. Anyway, that would be my first suggestion for her. However, not my favorite.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:27 pm
Actually Lash, the thread went quite well so far,despite
different opinions. The minute you show up, it's down hill
from thereon.

If you cannot keep your countenance, you shouldn't post.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:31 pm
husker wrote:
I wish Colbalt was around cause I think her son was born with no brain matter - would wonder about her thoughts here.

That is incorrect.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
Nimh--

People in different times, and under different circumstances seek to rewrite language.

The first time I heard someone say Shiavo was in a Persistent Vegetative state, I disagreed. I see now that Persistent Vegetative state has been coined as a legal term--and now has taken on a different meaning than the words, without that new legal definition, convey.

So, legally, Shiavo is in a PVS. In reality, since carrots nor broccoli breathes, smiles or defecates, she bears no close resemblance to any vegetables I've seen.

Now, reading your article above, it appears that people are trying to rewrite what "life" is.

I don't believe I'll be getting my definition on this from them.

I know what life is, and what death is.

She is alive. Taking food and water from her will make her dead.

No matter what legal jargon forwarded will change that reality.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
husker wrote:
I wish Colbalt was around cause I think her son was born with no brain matter - would wonder about her thoughts here.

That is incorrect.

I could be wrong on that so - on offense or foul to her
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:37 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:
Viewing all of the evidence as a whole, and acknowledging that medicine is not a precise science, the court finds that the credible evidence overwhelmingly supports the view that Terry Schiavo remains in a persistent vegetative state. Even Dr. Maxfield acknowledges that vegetative patients can track on occasion and that smiling can be a reflex.

Quote:
The Mandate requires something more than a belief, hope or "some" improvement. It requires this court to find, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the treatment offers such sufficient promise of increased cognitive function in Mrs. Schiavo's cerebral cortex so as to significantly improve her quality of life. There is no such testimony, much less a preponderance of the evidence to that effect. The other doctors, by contrast, all testified that there was no treatment available to improve her quality of life. They were also able to credibly testify that neither hyperbaric therapy nor vasodilatation therapy was an effective treatment for this sort of injury. That being the case, the court concludes that the Respondents have not met the burden of proof cast upon them by the Mandate and their Motion.

http://www.libertytothecaptives.net/order_nov_22_2002.html

Maybe the courts should have consulted Lash before their
ruling was finalized.

Actually, if you can't refrain from personal negative remarks--or at least be able to bear up under what follows when you do--perhaps you shouldn't post.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:14 pm
Lash wrote:
People in different times, and under different circumstances seek to rewrite language.

Let me start out by noting that my copy/paste foremost confirmed your point about her not actually being brain dead. Thats how I came to it. I thought she was - but apparently PVS does indeed not equate with braindead.

The article then makes the case that being "higher brain dead", rather than "brain dead", is already a form of death; a provocative philosophical view on, indeed, "what "life" is" that I found interesting enough to include that second paragraph I quoted, but about which I otherwise don't know what to think, really.

The article was, however, quite clear about what PVS entails, I thought. And I thought the description lined up pretty neatly with what the article c.i. posted quoted in terms of the medical definition:

Quote:
According to the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke people in PVS "have lost their thinking abilities and awareness of their surroundings, but retain non-cognitive function and normal sleep patterns. Even though those in a persistent vegetative state lose their higher brain functions, other key functions such as breathing and circulation remain relatively intact. Spontaneous movements may occur, and the eyes may open in response to external stimuli. They may even occasionally grimace, cry, or laugh. Although individuals in a persistent vegetative state may appear somewhat normal, they do not speak and they are unable to respond to commands."

In that sense, I'm not quite sure what you're on about with how PVS "has been coined as a legal term", with "a different meaning than the words, without that new legal definition, convey". How so "legal" and "new"? It's just the medical definition, isn't it? I mean, how was the description quoted in the article I linked different from that of the National Institute for Neurological Disorders?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:40 pm
I am glad you did read it, and accept it although it wasn't your previous opinion.

I wish others would do the same.

What I meant about the language--what would you consider a "persistent vegetative state"...not having someone else define the term for you?

To me -- it denotes the inability to do anything independantly--and this situation being true, unchanging, for a long time, and further adjudged incapable of change. What is the last feat accomplished by a vegetable? That collection of words could mean different things to different people. Your interpretation may be different than mine. But, in 1972, two doctors sat down and gave those three words a specific, measurable definition.

So. <-- my point. Sounds like a couple of doctors, too restrained by the brain-dead definition--came up with a watered down version that would assuage some families and medical facilities, who preferred to dispatch people, who didn't quite make the brain-dead cut.

This troubles me. Kill Terry Shiavo, and the retarded, mentally handicapped...then, maybe the poor, prisoners...are next. We cannot sanction this murder.

But, please God, if we do. Don't do it like abortion and say she's not really alive with disgusting, cowardly language. Just do it, and call it what it is.
(general rant, not directed)

She is alive.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:52 pm
Didn't address "legal".

Since those doctors came up with the term, and the criteria--it is now an accepted legal definition, by which people can legally seek remediation.

Hence the wrangling to find enough doctors, who back the PVS term--to trump those who disagree with the term.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:06 pm
Lash wrote:
What I meant about the language--what would you consider a "persistent vegetative state"...not having someone else define the term for you?

I dunno. Had never thought about it, really. Someone who is unconscious, for good, without any chance of change? Someone who can neither feel nor think anymore?

I realise those are the two different definitions we're talking about here. Somehow they both make sense to me.

Lash wrote:
But, please God, if we do. Don't do it like abortion and say she's not really alive with disgusting, cowardly language. Just do it, and call it what it is. [..] She is alive.

From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she is alive - and in a vegetative state. For good.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:20 pm
I don't think she'll get any better, either. And, it seems she may meet the PVS criteria--if what I read is accurate. Should one be starved if they meet this criteria? That's the question. There are a lot of people who meet that criteria.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:07 am
Lash wrote:
This situation is unspeakably cruel. Some people are grandstanding. Some are manipulating this situation. And, some can't stand the fact that this woman is being killed.
And some... me at least... think the wrong person is making the decision for the wrong reason. The folks who wrote the common-law marriage laws obviously didn't anticipate this situation. It is beyond doubtful that when they wrote the laws they intended that someone in Michael's shoes would become a polygamist. The man has obviously moved on and Terri's inability to speak for herself is the only reason he's still considered her next of kin. This is a a simple oversight by lawmakers.

While I personally would not wish to be dehydrated to death were I in Terri's position (having no God, I'd prefer to live as long as possible under any circumstances) if I wasn't a financial burden to any non voluntary person; I none the less would respect Terri's parent's decision if they concurred with her EX-husband. Unlike CJ, I don't accept that a piece of paper trumps reality in determining who Michael's wife is today. To claim he is the legitimate "next of kin" is to deny that common law marriage exists and that the law makers clearly didn't meant to create a polygamy situation which is, of course, ridiculous.

If Brooke is right about who Michael is; you all know my position there so I'll just skip that for now.

My hat is off to the Democrats who are, as I type, voting their conscience. Almost half at this moment have voted to save Terri's life until this is sorted out. I am once again happily surprised and humbled by the congress exceeding my expectations. I should note that prior to seeing the vote result, I didn't realize this was such a Party Line issue. I now agree with whoever said earlier that the idea that it would be is disgusting.

I have no idea really if prolonging this woman's life is a curse or blessing; but I am certain that the decision to kill her should not have been Michael's.

Both houses appear to have sided with Terri's parents. Good on them.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:48 am
Congress
Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Quote:
Schiavo’s husband, Michael Schiavo, said he was outraged that congressional leaders were intervening in the contentious right-to-die battle. He has battled for years with his wife’s parents over whether she should be permitted to die or kept alive through the feeding tube.

“I think that the Congress has more important things to discuss,” he told CNN, calling the move political and criticizing House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who helped broker the congressional compromise.

The bill passed in Congress applies only to Schiavo and would allow a federal court to review the case. The House passed the bill on a 203-58 vote early Monday after calling lawmakers back for an emergency Sunday session. The Senate approved the bill Sunday by voice vote.

“In cases like this one, where there are serious questions and substantial doubts, our society, our laws and our courts should have a presumption in favor of life,” President Bush said in a statement after signing the bill.

In Scott Peterson's case, the lifeless, armless, headless body of his wife washed ashore. Society first had a missing person, then had a dead body to definitively prove that a criminal act had played a role in the demise of Lacy Peterson. But . . . what if Scott had not succeeded in killing Laci? What if he had made the attempt, but failed . . . and Laci was now living in brain-damaged, semi-vegetative state . . . completely unable to tell us what Scott had done to her? Would we allow Scott to finish what he had started? Would we allow someone like Scott to have the right to withhold food and hydration from his wife . . . to kill his wife . . . and then simply go on with his life in the arms of his lover?

There are too many questions and doubts about Michael Schiavo. He's on a mission to end his wife's life, to immediately destroy/cremate her remains upon the moment of death, and to get on with his life. From the very beginning . . . he has acted like a person with something to hide.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
Michael Schiavo was interviewed by Larry King on 10/27/2003. Apparently, Michael claimed that his girlfriend (of many years) has done MORE for Terri than Terri's own mother. When asked what his girlfriend has done for Terri, Michael replied, "She washed her clothes."

The Interview That Wasn't

Quote:
There are a number of questions King should have asked Schiavo:

(1) Why did Schiavo tell a medical malpractice jury in 1992 that Terri would live a normal life span?

After Terri's collapse, Schiavo sued for medical malpractice. Under civil law, the longer Terri was expected to live, the larger the verdict would probably be. This fact of legal life could explain why Michael presented evidence to the malpractice jury not only that Terri would likely live a normal life span but also that he intended to be a good and loyal husband and care for her for the rest of his life.

(2) Why did Schiavo have a rehabilitation expert testify in front of the malpractice jury to present a detailed plan of therapy for Terri?

Schiavo and his lawyer claimed that Terri is incapable of improving physically, but during the 1992 trial, a rehabilitation plan and its anticipated undertaking provided one of the underpinnings for the jury's $1.3 million award. Of that money, Schiavo received $300,000, lawyers' fees were paid, and about $750,000 was put in trust to pay for Terri's rehabilitation.

(3) Given that the jury awarded $750,000 to be used in part for Terri's therapy, why hasn't Schiavo provided any rehabilitation for her since 1991?

When asked by King about the issue of rehab, Schiavo described some early efforts to help Terri, such as an experimental surgery in 1990. But he never identified when this rehab took place.

Which is an important point. The only efforts ever undertaken to improve Terri's condition took place in 1990 and 1991. They had ceased by the time of the malpractice trial in 1992 because her insurance coverage had run out. Indeed, the pressing need to restart therapy was an urgent part of the malpractice case. It could have--and should have--paid to restart the rehabilitation that had been abandoned due to lack of funds.

Once Terri's $750,000 was in the bank, however, Schiavo would not approve a single cent of it to be spent on rehabilitation. Not only that, but once the money was in the bank, Schiavo ordered a "do not resuscitate" order placed on Terri's chart so that if she had a cardiac event, the doctors would not attempt to save her. And within a few months of the money being deposited, Schiavo also refused to permit curative treatments, such as antibiotics for infections. If Terri had died during the early or mid-1990s, as Schiavo's orders were designed, he would have inherited somewhere around $700,000.

The issue of Terri's money did come up several times during last night's interview. Schiavo assured King he isn't in it for the money because there is only about $50,000 left in Terri's estate.

(4) Is it true that Terri's money has paid for attorneys to make her dead, instead of therapists to make her better?

The answer is, unquestionably, yes. According to court records, George Felos, the dutiful "right to die" attorney who sat at Schiavo's side on King's show, has been paid over $350,000 from Terri's trust fund. Another of Schiavo's attorneys, Debra Bushnell, has received about $90,000. These two lawyers alone have received more than half of Terri's entire trust.

According to court records, when Schiavo began his quest to pull Terri's feeding tube in 1998, she had more than $700,000 in the bank. This was primarily because Schiavo generally refused to authorize payments for any nursing home services on Terri's behalf beyond the basics of room and board. Thus, only about $50,000 was paid on her behalf in the five years following the jury verdict. Since 1998, about $650,000 (not taking into account any earnings from the fund) has gone out--not for therapy, but primarily for lawyers.

And yet on "Larry King" Schiavo went so far as to suggest that Bob Schindler, Terri's father, is fighting to save Terri's life because he wants her money.

(5) So how could Terri's father make any money off the case?

Schiavo's story is that once Schindler became Terri's guardian, he would get her a divorce, and then he would stop her food and fluids. The alleged point of such a scheme being that as next of kin, the Schindlers would inherit their daughter's money.

This sounds like a mighty stretch, particularly given that Bob Schindler has spent every nickel he has--including his entire retirement fund--desperately trying to save his daughter's life. If Bob Schindler is a venal man, he has a funny way of showing it.

Schiavo told King that his falling out with his father-in-law occurred in February 1993, when Schindler demanded a share of the proceeds in Terri's trust fund. But Schindler and his wife Mary tell a different story. They claim that the argument was over their insistence that the long-suspended rehabilitation recommence, since there was finally money available to pay for it. They contend that the breach of relationship occurred because Schiavo refused. The behavior of both parties since seems much more consistent with this story than with Schiavo's version of events.

Too bad Larry King didn't ask.

Well . . . once Terry is dead, Michael Schiavo will finally have a "dramatic" resolution and can sell his story in book and movie deals . . . the final scene of the television movie will be an actor . . . portraying the role of Michael Schiavo as Terry's long-suffering husband . . . placing a red rose on Terri's grave and whispering the loving words, "you're finally at peace, my love."

In that scenario, Michael Schiavo can walk away from Terri's death with a few million dollars in book and movie deals . . . something he probably can't do the same if he quietly divorces Terri and allows her parents to take over Terri's care. And, my goodness, what if by the slimmest of chances that Terri does recover some communication skills through proper care and rehabilitiation? What would Terri say about the bone scans that reveal the presence of a significant number of old injuries (broken bones) and what would she say about the night that she mysteriously collapsed?

Michael Schiavo should have divorced his wife years ago before he started a new family and allowed Terri's family to take over as her guardians. The fact that he steadfastly chooses to retain control and wants his wife (in name only) dead is highly suspicious. And then he has the audacity to claim that if he turned over control to Terri's parents, they would do exactly what he has been trying to do for years? That Terri's parents would withdraw her nutrition and hydration? If he truly believed that . . . and that's what he wants for Terri (for her food and water to be stopped so that Terri will die) . . . and he claims his position is not based on money . . . why didn't he divorce Terri and allow Terri's parents to be named as guardians?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:31 am
http://www.terrisfight.net/
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:03 am
CalamityJane wrote:
With being obsessed about torture, wife beating and what not,
you seem to forget brooke, that a bigger issue is here at stake:
government interference in private matters.

You don't know if Terri was indeed a victim of domestic abuse , I don't know either. Regardless, this is irrelevant to the case.

The hell it's irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad There has been enough suspicion and sworn affidavits in this case to at the very least warrant Terri's custody taken out of Michael's hands while the matter was looked into. If indeed she was abused - I guess to you, it makes no difference. Cause as you said - it's irrelevant. The main issue is what our government is doing. Rolling Eyes

And Calamity - please don't make remarks about me that you know nothing about. Saying I am obsessed with torture - wife beating - and what not. I will never stop fighting for women that are abused. If that bothers you....tough. One thing is correct in this case - nobody knows for sure. But I'd like to know why in the hell the judge has igonored this part of the equation.

Oh wait - never mind. He is the same judge that denied a woman in his court an order of protection - and two weeks later she was murdered by the man she was asked to be protected from. Not relevant to this case - but still something to think about.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:12 am
You are never too young to make a living will
You are never too young to make a living will.

I revised my living will today to comply with New Mexico law.

The following site is an excellent source for free living will forms for all states:

http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/forms.shtm

BBB
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:04 pm
clear and convincing evidence
CRUZAN v. DIRECTOR, MDH, 497 U.S. 261 (1990)

Nancy Cruzan's parents requested that the hospital remove nutrition and hydration. The hospital refused without a court order.

The Missouri Supreme Court held that the State Living Will statute embodied a state policy strongly favoring the preservation of life. The Missouri Supreme Court held that no person can assume that choice (to terminate food and hydration or medical treatment) for an incompetent in the absence of the formalities required by the Living Will statute or clear and convincing evidence of the patient's wishes.

The Missouri Supreme Court found that the hearsay evidence (Nancy's alleged statements to her friend/housemate) were unreliable for the purpose of determining Nancy's intent. The court also expressed its view that "road policy questions bearing on life and death are more properly addressed by representative assemblies" than judicial bodies. Id., at 426.

The United States Supreme Court held that Missouri could constitutionally require that evidence of an incompetent's wishes as to the withdrawal of food and water be proved by clear and convincing evidence.

[quote]At common law, even the touching of one person by another without consent and without legal justification was a battery. See W. Keeton, D. Dobbs, R. Keeton, & D. Owen, Prosser and Keeton on Law of Torts 9, pp. 39-42 (5th ed. 1984). Before the turn of the century, this Court observed that "[n]o right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded by the common law, than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law." Union Pacific R. Co. v. Botsford, 141 U.S. 250, 251 (1891). This notion of bodily integrity has been embodied in the requirement that informed consent is generally required for medical treatment. Justice Cardozo, while on the Court of Appeals of New York, aptly described this doctrine: "Every human being of adult years and sound mind has a right to determine what shall be done with his own body, and a surgeon who performs an operation without his patient's consent commits an assault, for which he is liable in damages." Schloendorff v. Society of New York Hospital, 211 N.Y. 125, 129-30, 105 N.E. 92, 93 (1914). The informed consent doctrine has become firmly entrenched in American tort law. See Dobbs, Keeton, & Owen, supra, 32, pp. 189-192; F. Rozovsky, Consent to Treatment, A Practical Guide 1-98 (2d ed. 1990). [497 U.S. 261, 270] . . . .

[F]or purposes of this case, we assume that the United States Constitution would grant a competent person a constitutionally protected right to refuse lifesaving hydration and nutrition.

Petitioners go on to assert that an incompetent person should possess the same right in this respect as is possessed by a competent person. . . .

The difficulty with petitioners' claim is that, in a sense, it begs the question: an incompetent person is not able to make an informed and voluntary choice to exercise a hypothetical right to refuse treatment or any other right. Such a "right" must be exercised for her, if at all, by some sort of surrogate. Here, Missouri has in effect recognized that, under certain circumstances, a surrogate may act for the patient in electing to have hydration and nutrition withdrawn in such a way as to cause death, but it has established a procedural safeguard to assure that the action of the surrogate conforms as best it may to the wishes expressed by the patient while competent. Missouri requires that evidence of the incompetent's wishes as to the withdrawal of treatment be proved by clear and convincing evidence. The question, then, is whether the United States Constitution forbids the establishment of this procedural requirement by the State. We hold that it does not.

Whether or not Missouri's clear and convincing evidence requirement comports with the United States Constitution depends in part on what interests the State may properly seek to protect in this situation. Missouri relies on its interest in the protection and preservation of human life, and there can be no gainsaying this interest. As a general matter, the States - indeed, all civilized nations - demonstrate their commitment to life by treating homicide as serious crime. Moreover, the majority of States in this country have laws imposing criminal penalties on one who assists another to commit suicide. 8 We do not think a State is required to remain neutral in the face of an informed and voluntary decision by a physically able adult to starve to death. [497 U.S. 261, 281]

But in the context presented here, a State has more particular interests at stake. The choice between life and death is a deeply personal decision of obvious and overwhelming finality. We believe Missouri may legitimately seek to safeguard the personal element of this choice through the imposition of heightened evidentiary requirements. It cannot be disputed that the Due Process Clause protects an interest in life as well as an interest in refusing life-sustaining medical treatment. Not all incompetent patients will have loved ones available to serve as surrogate decisionmakers. And even where family members are present, "[t]here will, of course, be some unfortunate situations in which family members will not act to protect a patient." In re Jobes, 108 N.J. 394, 419, 529 A.2d 434, 477 (1987). A State is entitled to guard against potential abuses in such situations. Similarly, a State is entitled to consider that a judicial proceeding to make a determination regarding an incompetent's wishes may very well not be an adversarial one, with the added guarantee of accurate factfinding that the adversary process brings with it. 9 See Ohio v. Akron Center for Reproductive [497 U.S. 261, 282] Health, post, at 515-516 (1990). Finally, we think a State may properly decline to make judgments about the "quality" of life that a particular individual may enjoy, and simply assert an unqualified interest in the preservation of human life to be weighed against the constitutionally protected interests of the individual.

In our view, Missouri has permissibly sought to advance these interests through the adoption of a "clear and convincing" standard of proof to govern such proceedings. "The function of a standard of proof, as that concept is embodied in the Due Process Clause and in the realm of factfinding, is to `instruct the factfinder concerning the degree of confidence our society thinks he should have in the correctness of factual conclusions for a particular type of adjudication.'" Addington v. Texas, 441 U.S. 418, 423 (1979) (quoting In re Winship, 397 U.S. 358, 370 (1970) (Harlan, J., concurring)). "This Court has mandated an intermediate standard of proof - `clear and convincing evidence' - when the individual interests at stake in a state proceeding are both `particularly important' and `more substantial than mere loss of money.'" Santosky v. Kramer, 455 U.S. 745, 756 (1982) (quoting Addington, supra, at 424). Thus, such a standard has been required in deportation proceedings, Woodby v. INS, 385 U.S. 276 (1966), in denaturalization proceedings, Schneiderman v. United States, 320 U.S. 118 (1943), in civil commitment proceedings, Addington, supra, and in proceedings for the termination of parental rights. Santosky, supra. 10 Further, [497 U.S. 261, 283] this level of proof, "or an even higher one, has traditionally been imposed in cases involving allegations of civil fraud, and in a variety of other kinds of civil cases involving such issues as . . . lost wills, oral contracts to make bequests, and the like." Woodby, supra, at 285, n. 18.

We think it self-evident that the interests at stake in the instant proceedings are more substantial, both on an individual and societal level, than those involved in a run-of-the-mine civil dispute. But not only does the standard of proof reflect the importance of a particular adjudication, it also serves as "a societal judgment about how the risk of error should be distributed between the litigants." Santosky, supra, at 755; Addington, supra, at 423. The more stringent the burden of proof a party must bear, the more that party bears the risk of an erroneous decision. We believe that Missouri may permissibly place an increased risk of an erroneous decision on those seeking to terminate an incompetent individual's life-sustaining treatment. An erroneous decision not to terminate results in a maintenance of the status quo; the possibility of subsequent developments such as advancements in medical science, the discovery of new evidence regarding the patient's intent, changes in the law, or simply the unexpected death of the patient despite the administration of life-sustaining treatment, at least create the potential that a wrong decision will eventually be corrected or its impact mitigated. An erroneous decision to withdraw life-sustaining treatment, however, is not susceptible of correction. In Santosky, one of the factors which led the Court to require proof by clear and convincing evidence in a proceeding to terminate parental rights was that a decision in such a case was final and irrevocable. Santosky, supra, at 759. The same must surely be said of the decision to discontinue hydration and nutrition of a patient such as Nancy Cruzan, which all agree will result in her death. [497 U.S. 261, 284]

It is also worth noting that most, if not all, States simply forbid oral testimony entirely in determining the wishes of parties in transactions which, while important, simply do not have the consequences that a decision to terminate a person's life does.

At common law and by statute in most States, the parol evidence rule prevents the variations of the terms of a written contract by oral testimony. The statute of frauds makes unenforceable oral contracts to leave property by will, and statutes regulating the making of wills universally require that those instruments be in writing. See 2 A. Corbin, Contracts 398, pp. 360-361 (1950); 2 W. Page, Law of Wills 19.3-19.5, pp. 61-71 (1960). There is no doubt that statutes requiring wills to be in writing, and statutes of frauds which require that a contract to make a will be in writing, on occasion frustrate the effectuation of the intent of a particular decedent, just as Missouri's requirement of proof in this case may have frustrated the effectuation of the not-fully-expressed desires of Nancy Cruzan. But the Constitution does not require general rules to work faultlessly; no general rule can.

In sum, we conclude that a State may apply a clear and convincing evidence standard in proceedings where a guardian seeks to discontinue nutrition and hydration of a person diagnosed to be in a persistent vegetative state. We note that many courts which have adopted some sort of substituted judgment procedure in situations like this, whether they limit consideration of evidence to the prior expressed wishes of the incompetent individual, or whether they allow more general proof of what the individual's decision would have been, require a clear and convincing standard of proof for such evidence. See, e.g., Longeway, 133 Ill.2d at 50-51, 549 N.E.2d at 300; McConnell, 209 Conn., at 707-710, 553 A.2d at 604-605; O'Connor, 72 N.Y.2d at 529-530, 531 N.E.2d at 613; In re Gardner, 534 A.2d 947, 952-953 (Me. 1987); In re Jobes, 108 N.J. at 412-413, 529 A.2d [497 U.S. 261, 285] at 443; Leach v. Akron General Medical Center, 68 Ohio Misc. 1, 11, 426 N.E.2d 809, 815 (1980).

The Supreme Court of Missouri held that, in this case, the testimony adduced at trial did not amount to clear and convincing proof of the patient's desire to have hydration and nutrition withdrawn. In so doing, it reversed a decision of the Missouri trial court, which had found that the evidence "suggest[ed]" Nancy Cruzan would not have desired to continue such measures, App. to Pet. for Cert. A98, but which had not adopted the standard of "clear and convincing evidence" enunciated by the Supreme Court. The testimony adduced at trial consisted primarily of Nancy Cruzan's statements, made to a housemate about a year before her accident, that she would not want to live should she face life as a "vegetable," and other observations to the same effect. The observations did not deal in terms with withdrawal of medical treatment or of hydration and nutrition. We cannot say that the Supreme Court of Missouri committed constitutional error in reaching the conclusion that it did. 11

[/quote]

Like the State of Missouri, the State of Florida requires clear and convincing evidence of the incompetent person's wishes BEFORE nutrition and hydration can be withheld. Michael Schiavo has not presented clear and convincing evidence that Terri would want food and water withheld.
0 Replies