Terri Schiavo to be Starved to Death

Debra Law

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:02 am
Baby dies
Apparently, in Texas, the hospital can terminate life support without the family's consent. The hospital merely gives the family ten days notice to find another health care facility, and if they don't, life support will be withdrawn.

Baby at center of life support case dies
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:19 am
Hmmmmm. I guess I see their point, but oooooh.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:54 pm
Schiavo feeding tube removed

It is expected that it will take one to two weeks for Schiavo, 41, to die, provided no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:12 pm
a simple sleeping med overdose would be humane, we can't allow that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
So, now we wish we had legalized assited suicide, don't we?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:22 pm
The difference with assisted suicide is the person is able to say that is their wish. This case is just wrong.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
BBB
This case is a threat to separation of church and state:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47724&highlight=
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I want to explore the boundary a bit...

If the husband and the parents both agreed that it was her wish to end her life, would this, in your view, meet the moral bar to allow here to die? Would it meet the legal standard?

Or does this require the legal paperwork (which many of us haven't taken the time to do)?

I do not think this is an appropriate description, since she will be denied food and water. That is more like being killed than like being allowed to die.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:37 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
This case is a threat to seperation of church and state:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47724&highlight=

No bill I know of introduced in this case is remotely related to religion. Just because some people may draw much of their ethics from religion doesn't mean that they are automatically disqualified from participation in deciding how their country will be governed. This is supposed to be a government of all of the people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:00 am
This truly has me torn up inside. This should not be happening!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:16 am
husker wrote:
Picture of Terry

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/LAW/11/05/schiavo.case/story.terry.schiavo.ap.jpg

http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/images/terri11.jpg

link to article
link

Shocked That is a truly scary link. I hadn't read that before writing this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:23 am
Bill- If Terri's parents believed that there had been foul play at the time, why did they not go to the police?

All the conspiracy theorists are out in force. Whether foul play is true or not, it is probably a moot point, because of statute of limitations.

I don't know whether she had beeen abused, as has been alleged, or not,
and I think that is besides the point, and an entirely separate issue.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
What about Terri's husband? His life has been on hold for
over 15 years. He doesn't have a wife in the traditional sense,
and he is not allowed to continue his life as a normal human
being with specific needs and wants.

Personally, I see that Terri's family is manipulating this into
a media frenzy and disregard the wishes of their daughter.
I'm sure she must have expressed to them her wishes, as
she did to her husband.

I certainly would not like to be kept alive under these
tragig circumstances, and luckily I picked up my living
will last week from my lawyer.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
I find this bit difficult to ignore.
Quote:
Terri was found face down with an extremely rigid neck. Her neck injuries indicate that she was strangled:

Dr. William Hammesfahr, Nobel prize nominee and neurologist, testified that Terri's neck injuries are consistent with only one type of injury: that of strangulation.

That's quite a reputation behind that statement. Idea In attempted murder; there's no statute of limitations. I'm not suggesting anything more than the case is at least as worthy of an appeal as any Death Row case I've read. It seems only fitting that a venue for such an appeal be created before the State of Florida is potentially an accomplice to murder. Why the rush to kill her? Who benefits by her being killed today instead of after all legal and medical questions have been answered? Hell, who benefits period?

CJ, her husband's life has hardly been on hold. He has a new wife and family (understandably so) and could simply divorce if he wished. Why wouldn't he want every effort made towards potential rehabilitation? My guess is money. Sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:50 am
Hm Bill, can a divorce be granted without Terri's consent, even though she's incapable of responding to it?

I understand that her parents filed for a divorce in her name, in order
to gain "custody", however the courts have dismissed such a request.

Yes it is understandable, that Michael wants to get on with his life,
and who would fault him for committing "adultery", as Terri's parents
put it. He has 2 children and needs to find closure to his marriage
with Terri.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:11 pm
I can't answer definitively but I would be surprised if he couldn't easily, legally divorce her if he so wished. IMO, it is a failure of law that her parent's attempt failed. If she woke up cognitive tomorrow the court would grant the request at it's earliest convenience, regardless of her husband's testimony, no?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:26 pm
Yes Bill, if she woke up cognitive, however, that's not an option here. This is an emotional case, no argument here, yet,
we cannot allow the courts to infringe into one's personal life,
just because family members are feuding over who has rights
over an adult that is mentally incapacitated.

Terri's parents - as emotionally as this might be - have no
rights over their adult daughter who has been married to
Michael. Legally, it is he who can make decisions in her best
interest.

Emotionally, you can argue this case, legally it is clearly
defined, and we should not forget this, and most importantly,
we should not allow a government entity to override private
decisions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
It's an odd discussion to see happening in the U.S.
I always expect people on the right side of the political spectrum (American republicans and democrats) to argue against government involvement in any case like this.
I'd have thought that countries like Canada - which is based on more government to have this debate.
But it's the reverse.
The debate here is pretty much done - government out, for the most part.
And Americans are increasingly involving the government in personal decisions.

What would Herbert Hoover think?

Quote:
Now more than four decades old, Herbert Hoover's 1959 statement to the Board of Trustees of Stanford University on the purpose and scope of the Hoover Institution continues to guide and define its mission in the twenty-first century:

"This Institution supports the Constitution of the United States, its Bill of Rights and its method of representative government. Both our social and economic systems are based on private enterprise from which springs initiative and ingenuity.... Ours is a system where the Federal Government should undertake no governmental, social or economic action, except where local government, or the people, cannot undertake it for themselves.... The overall mission of this Institution is, from its records, to recall the voice of experience against the making of war, and by the study of these records and their publication, to recall man's endeavors to make and preserve peace, and to sustain for America the safeguards of the American way of life. This Institution is not, and must not be, a mere library. But with these purposes as its goal, the Institution itself must constantly and dynamically point the road to peace, to personal freedom, and to the safeguards of the American system."

The principles of individual, economic, and political freedom; private enterprise; and representative government were fundamental to the vision of the Institution's founder. By collecting knowledge, generating ideas, and disseminating both, the Institution seeks to secure and safeguard peace, improve the human condition, and limit government intrusion into the lives of individuals.

I like (?) to read the research and essays found at the Institute site. Often thought-provoking, even when I don't want to be provoked.

http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Emotionally, you can argue this case, legally it is clearly defined, and we should not forget this, and most importantly,
we should not allow a government entity to override private decisions.
Emotionally? That must be the buzz word of the day today. Legally, Terri is only married to this man because she isn't cognitive. Legally, is the only way this man is still her next of kin. Only this flaw or oversight in Florida Law grants him the power to kill her against her parent's wishes. Meanwhile, Terri has a right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America. The United States is doing everything in her power to ensure that Terri doesn't have her most fundamental constitutional right taken away by a flaw in State Law. Good on them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 12:59 pm
Well ehBeth, unfortunately this has been the modus operandi
of the present government: to play up to peoples emotions
and take advantage of it.

9/11 and the aftermath i.e. Homeland Security, constant
panic alerts and so on, have kept their agenda alive and will
allow them to implement more rigorous surveillance measures
towards the american citizens and tourits alike.

Having the government interfere in private matters is the
ultimate control, and Terri's family is playing right into it
with their media frenzy. Both Bush brothers have intervened
in 2003, when the feeding tube was reinstated. Later, the courts found it to be unconstitutional, yet Bush & Bush are
trying again. I just hope the FL courts will uphold their
decision.
0 Replies