Terri Schiavo to be Starved to Death

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 05:25 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
justa_babbling_brooke -Why is this all coming out NOW? If Michael was indeed an abuser, which he might very well have been, where were Terri's parents all that time? The whole thing stinks like week old fish!

Oh Phoenix ....... where were her parents during all that time? IF she was indeed abused - they could have been the same place my parents were. In the dark. Sad My parents would never have allowed me to be abused any more than I'm sure Terri's parents would have.

Bruises - yes. They saw - and they asked. And she lied - and they believed. Fear will make you do horrible things out of character, when you are abused. Sad

That's one of the reasons most victims will stay away from parents. Make up excuses not to go see them. When the bruises have healed or at least gotten less visible - then a visit becomes in order.

PS- Terri's parents DID try in the very beginning to get someone to listen to them about the possible abuse. They had no luck. Then when they finally did get to see the bone scan - they got shot down again. Seems the judge thinks too much time has passed to investigate Michael??? Rolling Eyes Brick wall - after brick wall - after brick wall.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
Brook you'll like this take note on her behavior when Michael was there

Quote:
AFFIDAVIT

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF PINELLAS

BEFORE ME the undersigned authority personally appeared HEIDI LAW who being first duly sworn deposes and says:

1. My name is Heidi Law, I am over the age of 18 years, and make this statement on personal information.

2. I worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant at the Palm Gardens nursing home from March, 1997 to mid-summer of 1997. While I was employed at Palm Gardens, occasionally I took care of Theresa Schiavo. Generally, I worked the 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift, but occasionally also would work a double shift, until 7 a.m. the following morning.

3. At Palm Gardens, most of the patient care was provided by the CNAs, so I was in a good position to judge Terri's condition and observe her reactions. Terri was noticeable, because she was the youngest patient at Palm Gardens.

4. I know that Terri did not receive routine physical therapy or any other kind of therapy. I was personally aware of orders for rehabilitation that were not being carried out. Even though they were ordered, Michael would stop them. Michael ordered that Terri receive no rehabilitation or range of motion therapy. I and Olga would give Terri range of motion anyway, but we knew we were endangering our jobs by doing so. We usually did this behind closed doors, we were so fearful of being caught. Our hearts would race and we were always looking out for Michael, because we knew that, not only would Michael take his anger out on us, but he would take it out more on Terri. We spoke of this many times.
5. Terri had very definite likes and dislikes. Olga and I used to call Terri "Fancy Pants," because she was so particular about certain things. She just adored her baths, and was so happy afterward when she was all clean, smelling sweet from the lotion her mother provided, and wearing the soft nightgowns her mother laundered for her. Terri definitely did not like the taste of the teeth-cleaning swabs or the mouthwash we used. She liked to have her hair combed. She did not like being tucked in, and especially hated it if her legs were tightly tucked. You would always tell when Terri had a bowel movement, as she seem agitated and would sort of "scoot" to get away from it.

6. Every day, Terri was gotten up after lunch and sat in a chair all afternoon. When Terri was in bed, she very much preferred to lie on her right side and look out the window. We always said that she was watching for her mother. It was very obvious that her mother was her favorite person in the whole world.
7. I worked side-by-side with another CNA named Olga and could tell that she and Terri were especially close. Olga took a definite personal interest in Terri, and Terri responded to her. I could tell that Terri was very satisfied and happy with Olga's attentions to her.

8. When Olga was talking with Terri, Terri would follow Olga with her eyes. I have no doubt in my mind that Terri understood what Olga was saying to her. I could tell a definite difference between the way Terri responded to Olga and the way she reacted to me, until she got used to my taking care of her. Initially, she "clammed up" with me, the way she would with anyone she did not know or was not familiar or comfortable with. It took about the fourth or fifth time taking care of her alone, without Olga, that Terri became relaxed and cooperative and non-resistant with me.

9. Terri reacted very well to seeing a picture of her mother, which was in her room. Many times when I came on duty it would be lying face down where she could not see it.

10. At least three times during any shift where I took care of Terri, I made sure to give Terri a wet washcloth filled with ice chips, to keep her mouth moistened. I personally saw her swallow the ice water and never saw her gag. Olga and I frequently put orange juice or apple juice in her washcloth to give her something nice to taste, which made her happy. On three or four occasions I personally fed Terri small mouthfuls of Jello, which she was able to swallow and enjoyed immensely. I did not do it more often only because I was so afraid of being caught by Michael.
11. On one occasion Michael Schiavo arrived with his girlfriend, and they entered Terri's room together. I heard Michael tell his girlfriend that Terri was in a persistent vegetative state and was dying. After they left, Olga told me that Terri was extremely agitated and upset, and wouldn't react to anyone. When she was upset, which was usually the case after Michael was there, she would withdraw for hours. We were convinced that he was abusing her, and probably saying cruel, terrible things to her because she would be so upset when he left.
12. In the past, I have taken care of comatose patients, including those in a persistent vegetative state. While it is true that those patients will flinch or make sounds occasionally, they don't do it as a reaction to someone on a constant basis who is taking care of them, the way I saw Terri do.

13. I witnessed a priest visiting Terri a couple of times. Terri would become quiet when he prayed with her. She couldn't bow her head because of her stiff neck, but she would still try. During the prayer, she would keep her eyes closed, opening them afterward. She laughed at jokes he told her. I definitely know that Terri "is in there."

14. The Palm Gardens staff, myself included, were just amazed that a "Do Not Resuscitate" order had been put on Terri's chart, considering her age and her obvious cognitive awareness of her surroundings.

15. During the time I cared for Terri, she formed words. I have heard her say "mommy" from time to time, and "momma," and she also said "help me" a number of times. She would frequently make noises like she was trying to talk. Other staff members talked about her verbalizations.
Code:Several times when Michael visited Terri during my shift, he went into her room alone and closed the door. This worried me because I didn't trust Michael. When he left, Terri was very agitated, was extremely tense with tightened fists and some times had a cold sweat. She was much less responsive than usual and would just stare out the window, her eyes kind of glassy. It would take much more time and effort than usual to work her hands open to clean her palms.

17. I was told by supervisory staff that Michael was Terri's legal guardian, and that it didn't matter what the parents or the doctors or nurses wanted, just do what Michael told you to do or you will lose your job. Michael would override the orders of the doctors and nurses to make sure Terri got no treatment. Among the things that Terri was deprived of by Michael's orders were any kind of testing, dental care or stimulation. I was ordered by my supervisors to limit my time with Terri. I recall telling my supervisor that Terri seemed abnormally warm to the touch. I was told to pull her covers down, rather than to take her temperature. As far as I know, Terri never left her room. The only stimulation she had was looking out the window and watching things, and the radio, which Michael insisted be left on one particular station. She had a television, and there was a sign below it saying not to change the channel. This was because of Michael's orders.

18. As a CNA, I wanted every piece of information I could get about my patients. I never had access to medical records as a CNA, but it was part of my job duties to write my observations down on sheets of paper, which I turned over to the nurse at the nurses station for inclusion in the patients charts. In the case of Terri Schiavo, I felt that my notes were thrown out without even being read. There were trash cans at the nurses stations that we were supposed to empty each shift, and I often saw the notes in them. I made extensive notes and listed all of Terri's behaviors, but there was never any apparent follow up consistent with her responsiveness.

19. I discussed this situation with other personnel at Palm Gardens, particularly with Olga, and another CNA, an older black man named Ewan Morris. We all discussed the fact that we could be fired for reporting that Terri was responsive, and especially for giving her treatment. The advice among the staff was "don't do nothin', don't see nothin' and don't say nothin'." It was particularly distressing that we always had to be afraid that if Michael got upset, he would take his anger out on Terri.

20. I recall an incident when Olga became very upset because Terri started to get a sore spot, because it might lead to a bedsore. Michael was told about it but didn't seem to care. He didn't complain about it all, in fact, saying "she doesn't know the difference." When Terri would get a UTI or was sick, Michael's mood would improve.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT.

Heidi Law, Affiant

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF PINELLAS

Sworn to and subscribed before me this day of September, 2003, by HEIDI LAW, who produced a Florida Driver's License as identification.
Notary Public

My Commission expires:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:03 pm
Put it where you want, husker.

The judge still ruled as he did.

The judge was presented with a considerable volume of evidence over the years. He assessed the evidence, and he made the decisions, as he is required to by law.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:05 pm
Quote:
ANATOMY OF HOPE
For Parents, the Unthinkability of Letting Go
By BENEDICT CAREY

Published: March 20, 2005

THE eyes flickered, it seemed. The head tipped, slightly. That look, the slant of the shoulders, something about the mouth: it was all so familiar.

Accepting that a loved one is brain-damaged beyond recovery, that he or she is in a "persistent vegetative state," incapable of thought or emotion, is all but impossible for many people, for reasons that go deeper than the fear of loss.

A lifetime of intimate familiarity with a person, unresolved feelings of guilt, psychological projection of personal needs - all of these conspire to reject a hopeless diagnosis, no matter how medically certain it may be, psychologists say. Religious convictions can also play an important role. And the nature of the vegetative state itself can be cruelly misleading.

On Friday, Congressional leaders intervened to block the court-approved removal of a feeding tube from Terri Schiavo, the critically brain-damaged Florida woman, though the intervention delayed the removal only briefly. Ms. Schiavo's parents have been fighting for some 15 years to continue life-support measures for her, and they object to doctors' conclusions that their daughter is in a persistent vegetative state.

Experts say that is not an unusual reaction in such cases, at least initially. "The vegetative state can be described as a state of wakeful unresponsiveness, and it's a very hard concept to get your arms around," said Dr. Joseph Fins, chief of the medical ethics division of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell hospital. "When the eyes are open, we associate that naturally with sentient awareness, when it is not. And this paradox feeds into the denial that a catastrophic medical event has taken place."

Especially when a patient's eyes open on emergence from a coma, Dr. Fins said, family members are likely to assume that this is evidence of recovery. In fact, he said, it can augur poorly for the patient. When the eyes open but there is no quick return to mental responsiveness, it suggests that the primitive brain stem is reasserting itself, without engaging the higher brain: the cortex and other parts that are involved in thought and emotion.

"It's far better to wake up and completely wake up," he said. "The eyes simply opening looks like a good thing, but may be bad."

In some rare cases, patients may indeed reach or pass through a state of minimal consciousness, where they are intermittently able to respond or move with purpose, say by reaching for a glass. Recent magnetic imaging studies have shown significant mental activity in such patients. But doctors have determined that this is not the case with Terry Schiavo.

Still, the heightened hope of open eyes, combined with memories of the patient when fully aware, can act to infuse any motion at all with meaning, psychologists say. A limp mouth may look like a concerned frown. A movement of the eyes may make a visitor gasp. Still alive in memory, and still living and breathing in body, vegetative patients seem sometimes to be on the verge of re-inhabiting themselves, like an old actor coming out of retirement to reprise a familiar role.

And if there any lingering regrets associated with the person, as there almost always are, then family members may feel tremendous guilt over giving up and accepting the label "vegetable," said Dr. Ellin Bloch, director of the clinical doctorate program at Alliant International University in Los Angeles.

"I think that is often what people are afraid of, that they may end up feeling horrible, like they murdered somebody, that they failed them in the end - perhaps because they think they failed them previously in their life," Dr. Bloch said. "And all the while, they're looking at this tangible human being, and having a very hard time believing they can hold on to a relationship if this tangible being is not present. For all our talk about souls and what is the essence of a person, we are far more attached to the body than we know, I think. It is kind of a physical fear, that the person will be out of sight and forever out of mind."

These feelings are especially intense in parents who take care of a brain-damaged child. For mothers in particular, said Dr. Elaine Rodino, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif., there can be genuine comfort in sustaining even so one-sided a relationship.

"Mothers are so used to doing a lot of caretaking, it comes so natural," Dr. Rodino said. "It can be filling their time so much that, to them, it really does feel like another person is there - someone they love, someone they remember caring for dearly. And to admit they're gone, well, it really does change the mother's life."

This was an interesting find. I was going to ask Brooke if she thought the parents were resisting Ms. Schiavo's death due to guilt. Apparently, that could well be a component of what has been going on for them.

Rough stuff for any family.

Sign your living wills, everyone.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:22 pm
What about Christopher Reeve? Should he have been left to starve to death?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:23 pm
Husker.....thank you for posting that. It just enforces even further, the tragedy of all this - if it does indeed go to the end. Sad

No parent should have to ever go through what her parents are. Thank God they have a strong enough love for her - to not give up the fight.

This whole case, I think, has been full of corruption from the very beginning.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
I must admit to some ignorance regarding the economics of this case. Who is financially responsible for Terri's upkeep? Who pays the bills?

I heard this morning that her parents are willing to accept responsibility for her care. What does this mean? Will they use their own financial resources? Will they actually do the care themselves? Given the latter, what happens to Terri upon their inevitable death--back to square one? Does the parents' idea of responsibility include the day to day maintenance of her body and exclude their private financial responsibility? In short, will the state pay for Terri's care, no matter who actually performs this maintenance?

Terri may have a right to life but not at the expense of those who are not deemed responsible for her life condition. Arguments against these economic concerns that employ "moral obligations" insisting that we must care for every soul, no matter how destitute, are problematic--what about all those hungry children in India? How are we doing there? Geographic relocation of the moralist's argument by citing we should take care of our own first is also unconvincing simply because we have plenty of people in Appalachia or intercity environments that we ignore on a daily basis. The responsibility for the continuance of an individual's life lies with that individual alone. The enlistment of other's help in this regard should only be expected on a voluntary basis and certainly not involve any member of a governing body such as congress. Even Terri Schiavo's Mom would seem to agree with this when stating that those who might vote against a bill to save her daughter's life "have a personal agenda". Perhaps, but if so, those politicians that initiated this congressional meddling might be accused of the same agenda maintenance.

Respectfully,

JM
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:

I was going to ask Brooke if she thought the parents were resisting Ms. Schiavo's death due to guilt.

No. Not at all, ehBeth.

They know she is not brain dead. They know she reacts to their voice - their touch - their love. They are simply fighting for the life of a daughter that has been unjustly sentenced to death.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:34 pm
ok I'm not getting any responses on the other thread where I posted this question, perhaps here?
Quote:
ok for all you lawyers out there, here is my understanding of the current situation, congress is about to pass a bill specifically ordering the fed courts to accept jurisdiction if/when a petition for review is submitted to the court specifically by the parents of terri schiavo to which the court is ordered to accept the petition which in effect means that the court must accept defined petition-open the proceedings and then reject such petition on the grounds of consitutiional violation of separation of powers between the judicial branch and legislative branch, correct or not?

in effect what I understand to be true re this congress bill will result in Terri being feed again and then having the court reject the jurisdiction on the basis of separation of powers thereby having her un-fed once again. Anyone with actually knowledge please refute my understanding because if this is correct then the Repubs with dem passive acceptance have perpetrated a severe injustice including extremely cruel and abusive actions for only political gain. thank you in advance.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:35 pm
With being obsessed about torture, wife beating and what not,
you seem to forget brooke, that a bigger issue is here at stake:
government interference in private matters.

You don't know if Terri was indeed a victim of domestic abuse , I don't know either. Regardless, this is irrelevant to the case.

He said, she said, is an old game and who you choose to believe is your prerogative. No doubt, this is an emotional case, but
we cannot allow the current President and legislatures to use
such emotional family affairs for their own political agenda.

I'm repeating myself, but legally, Terri's guardian is her
husband and he has the right to decide for his guardian.

Thankfully I have my living will drawn up, and I would
be doomed if the government decides against my wishes,
should I ever become incapacitated.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:36 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

I was going to ask Brooke if she thought the parents were resisting Ms. Schiavo's death due to guilt.

No. Not at all, ehBeth.

They know she is not brain dead. They know she reacts to their voice - their touch - their love. They are simply fighting for the life of a daughter that has been unjustly sentenced to death.

Sorry, Brooke, but the neurologists (on this site) and elsewhere will tell you the truth. It is difficult to hear, difficult to accept, but reactions are not brain function.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:38 pm
dyslexia wrote:
ok I'm not getting any responses on the other thread where I posted this question, perhaps here?
Quote:
ok for all you lawyers out there, here is my understanding of the current situation, congress is about to pass a bill specifically ordering the fed courts to accept jurisdiction if/when a petition for review is submitted to the court specifically by the parents of terri schiavo to which the court is ordered to accept the petition which in effect means that the court must accept defined petition-open the proceedings and then reject such petition on the grounds of consitutiional violation of separation of powers between the judicial branch and legislative branch, correct or not?

in effect what I understand to be true re this congress bill will result in Terri being feed again and then having the court reject the jurisdiction on the basis of separation of powers thereby having her un-fed once again. Anyone with actually knowledge please refute my understanding because if this is correct then the Repubs with dem passive acceptance have perpetrated a severe injustice including extremely cruel and abusive actions for only political gain. thank you in advance.

a most complicated situation
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:46 pm
While I agree that reactions are not brain function - that is NOT all that Terri has exhibited.

It is not a simple reaction to say "Mommy" or "Momma" or "help me"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
It is impossible for me to accept that someone as intelligent as ehBeth can see a pic of Shiavo, and still say she is brain dead.

Please read the definition. She is most certainly not brain-dead, nor could anyone with the most minor medical knowledge say she is.

If she can open her eyes, she cannot be brain dead. If she can breathe unassisted, she cannot be brain-dead.

If you have other arguments against this intervention, feel free to make them--but this continual lie about her being brain-dead is disgusting.

And, if anyone could produce a document or tape wherein Shiavo said or wrote she'd rather not be in this situation, most people would have no problem with her being starved to death--including me. When a person makes that choice, I agree completely they have that right.

This isn't about the state overriding her wishes. This is about the state not finding evidence of her wishes, and not trusting her husband to have her best interests at heart.

-----------------
Brain death is defined as a complete and irreversible cessation of brain activity. Absence of apparent brain function is not enough; evidence needs to be available that the condition is irreversible.

Traditionally, death was defined as the cessation of all body functions, including respiration and heartbeat. Since it became possible to revive some people after a period without respiration, heartbeat, or other visible signs of life, as well as to maintain respiration and blood flow artificially using life support treatments, an alternative definition for death was needed. In recent decades, the concept of "brain death" has emerged. By brain death criteria, a person can be pronounced clinically dead even if the heart continues to beat due to life support measures.

A brain dead individual has no electrical activity and no clinical evidence of brain function on neurologic examination (no response to pain, no cranial nerve reflexes (pupillary response (fixed pupils), oculocephalic reflex, corneal reflexes), and no spontaneous respirations). It is important to distinguish between brain death and states that mimic brain death (eg. barbiturate intoxication, alcohol intoxication, sedative overdose, hypothermia, hypoglycemia, coma or chronic vegetative states). Some comatose patients can recover, and some patients with severe irreversible neurologic dysfunction will nonetheless retain some lower brain functions such as spontaneous respiration.

In a brain dead individual, the brain tissue itself is necrotic (dead). Conditions leading to brain death result in swelling of brain tissue and a rise in intracranial pressure, eventually shutting off all blood flow within the skull. Although some have proposed that loss of neo-cortical function should be termed "brain death", the term as used clinically includes loss of both cortex and brainstem function. Thus anencephaly, in which there is no higher brain present, is generally not considered brain death, although it is certainly an irreversible condition in which it may be appropriate to withdraw life support.

Note that brain electrical activity can stop completely, or apparently completely (a "flat EEG") for some time in deep anaesthesia or during cardiac arrest before being restored: brain death refers only to permanent cessation of electrical activity. Numerous people who have experienced such "flat line" experiences have reported near-death experiences, the nature of which is controversial.

It is presumed that a permanent stoppage of electrical activity indicates the end of consciousness. Those that view that only the neo-cortex of the brain is necessary for consciousness, however, sometimes argue that only electrical activity there should be considered when defining death. In many cases, especially when elevated intracranial pressure prevents blood flow into the skull, the entire brain is nonfunctional; however, some injuries may affect only the neo-cortex.

The diagnosis of brain death needs to be made quite rigorously to be certain the condition is truly irreversible. Legal criteria vary from place to place, but generally require neurologic exams by two independent physicians showing complete absence of brain function, and may include two isoelectric (flat-line) EEGs 24 hours apart. The Uniform Determination Of Death Act in the United States is an attempt to standardize criteria. The patient should have a normal temperature and be free of drugs that can suppress brain activity if the diagnosis is to be made on EEG criteria. Alternatively, a radionuclide cerebral blood flow scan that shows complete absence of intracranial blood flow can be used to confirm the diagnosis without performing EEGs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:23 pm
She is brain-damaged. It is likely irreversable.

That's not brain-dead. It is a freaking far cry from brain-dead.

Let's off all the brain-damaged people, shall we? Might as well get the old folks in nursing homes. They need help, too.

This is disgusting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:39 pm
Lash wrote:
She is brain-damaged. It is likely irreversable.

That's not brain-dead. It is a freaking far cry from brain-dead.

Let's off all the brain-damaged people, shall we? Might as well get the old folks in nursing homes. They need help, too.

This is disgusting.

So, I can then assume you support the reps congressional act (in violation of constitutional law) that will result in Terri being fed only to have the bill overturned resulted in Terri no longer being fed? This situation was horrendous in the beginning for all the members involved and has become unspeakably cruel following the repubs legal moves and the dems passivity. I suggest you read the intended rep legislation and then tell me who is being inhumane. Just a little brain-damage you say? I say the brain-damage is in the rep party with attending ethics damage in the dems.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:49 pm
Quote:
Viewing all of the evidence as a whole, and acknowledging that medicine is not a precise science, the court finds that the credible evidence overwhelmingly supports the view that Terry Schiavo remains in a persistent vegetative state. Even Dr. Maxfield acknowledges that vegetative patients can track on occasion and that smiling can be a reflex.

Quote:
The Mandate requires something more than a belief, hope or "some" improvement. It requires this court to find, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the treatment offers such sufficient promise of increased cognitive function in Mrs. Schiavo's cerebral cortex so as to significantly improve her quality of life. There is no such testimony, much less a preponderance of the evidence to that effect. The other doctors, by contrast, all testified that there was no treatment available to improve her quality of life. They were also able to credibly testify that neither hyperbaric therapy nor vasodilatation therapy was an effective treatment for this sort of injury. That being the case, the court concludes that the Respondents have not met the burden of proof cast upon them by the Mandate and their Motion.

http://www.libertytothecaptives.net/order_nov_22_2002.html

Maybe the courts should have consulted Lash before their
ruling was finalized.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
I didn't say just a little brain-damaged.

And, no. You shouldn't assume anything. However, assuming something, and suggesting reading material based on that erroneous assumption is strictly verboten. <that's one super-sized demerit!>

This situation is unspeakably cruel. Some people are grandstanding. Some are manipulating this situation. And, some can't stand the fact that this woman is being killed.

Whether this circus is right or wrong doesn't change the status of Shiavo's brain activity.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:59 pm
I wish Colbalt was around cause I think her son was born with no brain matter - would wonder about her thoughts here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:04 pm
What does 'no brain matter' mean?
0 Replies