Where is the US economy headed?

roger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 11:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Yes, it is a complicated formula. If taxes rise on all income, then there is little to no reason to change investment based solely on the increased tax. If taxes rise on only one form of investment income then it changes the risk/reward per investment which may drive people to another investment.

Good point. I hadn't considered that.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:20 pm
@roger,
What would be wrong with having one income category with a graduated tax rather than 20 income categories and tax categories. And if they taxed the 1% as they should I would be willing to pay a higher rate. Bush proved that lowering the tax on the rich dosent improve the economy for the majority, only the 1%.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:56 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
But you do seem defensive. Almost as if you consider it a fault to be influenced by your choice of reading material. Especially a site claiming to be seeking alphas.
Yes. But that's because you'd have offered the same criticism no matter what 'choice of reading material' was mentioned.

And this is purely my opinion, but I don't believe you're interested in expressing your own views on the subject matter; rather, you attempt to manipulate an audience.

None of this has anything to do with the subject of this thread, though, so I'll stop here.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 05:20 pm
So-so news on unemployment. The economy added 120,000 jobs this month---not enough to keep up with the growth of population and productivity. As a consequence, discouraged workers are dropping out of the labor force again, pushing both employment and unemployment down a little. People with a political axe to grind on either side will be able to spin the data in plausible-sounding talking points. But the truth, I think, is that March has been a month of treading water for the American labor market.

Read the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Employment Situtation Summary.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
They already did didn't they?

Yep... and that was a good landing you done on the pub bar.
0 Replies

ninasen

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Any county has the ficancial crisis today. It's a global problem.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:47 am
The U.K. is officially in a double-dip recession. It will be interesting to see US numbers over the next few months.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 06:11 am
@JPB,
I made a journey yesterday which took in 3 motorways and a couple of urban areas and I must say that if this is a DDR I shudder to think what the next boom will be like.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:39 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

The U.K. is officially in a double-dip recession. It will be interesting to see US numbers over the next few months.

I think the lessons are pretty clear at this point: Austerity does NOT WORK. It does not help an economy recover from a recession or period of instability. It does not lead to job growth or restore confidence in the country.

Cycloptichorn
Marie Colvin

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:40 am
@au1929,
Hello friends,

Just wait until you see what happens in 2012. The U.S. and Europe are both dealing with unprecedented debt problems, the financial markets are flailing about wildly, austerity programs are being implemented all over the globe, prices on basics such as food are soaring and a lot of consumers are flat out scared right now. Many analysts now fear that a "perfect storm" could be brewing and that we could actually be headed for an economic apocalypse in 2012. Hopefully that will not happen. Hopefully our leaders can keep the global economy from completely falling apart. But right now, things don't look good. After a period of relative stability, things are starting to become unglued once again. The next major financial panic could literally happen at any time. Sadly, if we do see an economic apocalypse in 2012, it won't be the wealthy that suffer the most. It will be the poor, the unemployed, the homeless and the hungry that feel the most pain.

Best regards
Marie Colvin
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:09 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

JPB wrote:

I think the lessons are pretty clear at this point: Austerity does NOT WORK. It does not help an economy recover from a recession or period of instability. It does not lead to job growth or restore confidence in the country.

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps then the Greeks should change their policies and resume issuing bonds to stimulate their economy.

The problem is the government spending didn't create sustainable, productive economic activity in Greece. It merely made the Greeks dependent on handouts. More to the point though is the fact that no one wants to buy their bonds.

Deficit spending works well up untiol the moment when it ceases to work at all. Catastrophe follows.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:19 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

JPB wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps then the Greeks should change their policies and resume issuing bonds to stimulate their economy.

Greece's problems cannot be solved by Austerity or by the issuance of bonds; they are cultural problems that go far deeper than mere economic prescriptions.

Quote:
Deficit spending works well up untiol the moment when it ceases to work at all. Catastrophe follows.

That's an interesting philosophical point, but it has no relevance to what we are currently seeing in England.

I would point out to you that the US is performing FAR better than Europe or the UK, both of which are currently mired in aggressive Austerity budgets. Far better. The GDP growth that we see will serve us much better in the long run than the stagnation they have - even if we have to run larger short-term deficits than they do.

Here's a great post by Krugman, who is understandably preening over the fact that - once again - the Keynesians have essentially been proven right.

Quote:
The Big Wrong

It’s Official: Keynes Was Right, says Henry Blodget. Recent election results in Europe seem to have raised consciousness in a way literally years of economic data couldn’t: the austerity doctrine that has ruled European policy is a big fat failure.

I could have told you that would happen, and sure enough, I did. Did I mention that after three years of dire warnings that the bond vigilantes are attacking, the interest rate on US 10-years remains below 2 percent?

It’s important to understand that what we’re seeing isn’t a failure of orthodox economics. Standard economics in this case — that is, economics based on what the profession has learned these past three generations, and for that matter on most textbooks — was the Keynesian position. The austerity thing was just invented out of thin air and a few dubious historical examples to serve the prejudices of the elite.

And now the results are in: Keynesians have been completely right, Austerians utterly wrong — at vast human cost.

I wish I could believe that this would really be enough for us to move on and consider what can be done, now that we know that the ideas behind recent policy were all wrong. But that’s wishful thinking, I suppose. Nobody ever admits that they were wrong, and Austerian ideas clearly have an emotional and political appeal that is resilient to any and all evidence.

Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/the-big-wrong/

If Romney wants to run on Austerity this Fall, it's going to be a disaster - Obama can just point to countries who are actually doing that and compare our performance to theirs.

Krugman is exactly right above, that those who have been predicting disaster from the bond vigilantes have now been completely and totally wrong for years. At some point you should consider admitting that you were wrong; or, are you just continually right, always waiting for the Big Collapse that's around the corner, but never quite here?

Cycloptichorn
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
When George Osborne became Chanceller he inherited Alastair Darling's economic plan. Britain was slowly emerging from recession, and continued to do so until Osborne's policies started to bite, then the economy slowed, and now we're back in recession. Labour warned the ConDems that this is exactly what would happen.

To quote a 1980's lapel badge, 'Don't blame me, I voted Labour.'
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's an interesting philosophical point, but it has no relevance to what we are currently seeing in England.

What we are currently seeing in Britain, Scotland and Wales are similarly affected.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:54 am
@georgeob1,
That's right; the Greeks should spend more, not less to revitalize their economy. What the enforced austerity program is doing to Greece is a slow death.

The US deficit grew over 100% of GDP during WWII; not much of consumer goods and services were being produced - mostly war machines.

Not many people complained about the spending back then, because spending was necessary to survive. It's the same today as it was 70 years ago.

But Cyclo hit the nail on the head; Greek's problems far exceeds what is normal in any economy. They don't have the wherewithal to stop all the fraud that's been going on for too long.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:05 pm
One more thing about the US economy; it's still the strongest in the world, and it's what Americans must rely on for our future. At current interest rates on savings, most of my money is invested in American equities that's produced enough income during the past eleven (11) years where our retirement savings is at the same level. That's after withdrawing over $337,000. I've been withdrawing funds since 1998, and my wife started withdrawing funds in 2007.

I'll continue to trust in the US economy for the duration.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The US economy is and for a long time has been juiced by the federal government borrowing over 25 cents for every dollar it spends. This is not sustianable, nor is it smart except during extraordinary conditions such as depression or war. The "strong" economy is an illusion. In point of fact the American economy is rotten to the core, like so much of America.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:22 pm
Quote:
Double dip recession proves Osborne wrong

Apr 252012

The UK is on double dip recession.

Osborne offered us his vision two year ago. It was of “expansionary fiscal contraction”.

His argument was that the more he cut government spending the more people would spend, liberated by knowing that if he succeeded in his aim of balancing the budget tax cuts would follow, letting them repay debt they’d take on now to spend. It hasn’t happened. People who face the prospect of unemployment, increased cost for things that were previously provided by the state, lower pensions, higher cost of childcare and the uncertainty of recession have simply stop spending.

And Osborne argued that as government cutback business would rush to fill the space that he would create in the economy because they would be liberated from the yoke of government interference in their activity. It hasn’t happened.
Businesses have seen that their biggest customer is not spending and have cut their investment, reduced their employment plans, closed their premise, withdrawn from the High Street and battened down their hatches in the hope of survival: the last thing that they have done is expand.

Of course, all of this was completely predictable, and was predicted. I was one of those who did so. With the Green New Deal group I suggested an alternative approach to fending off recession as long ago as the summer of 2008, before the banking crisis developed. Osborne ignored us then, and I have little doubt that he will ignore us now but the price that we will pay for that will be an enormous one.

I suspect that during the course of this year we will come out of recession, but only just.

Much more importantly, I think unemployment will continue to rise as this year progresses, with there being no prospect of any real reversal in site at any time in the foreseeable future as the government continues its programme of reckless cuts that guarantee a continuing downward spiral in confidence that will reduce investment for years to come, and at the same time will destroy any hope of creating a balance in our economy, or, just as importantly, a balance in our budget.

There is only one way to restore that balance in our economy and that is for the government to spend now on the creation of new infrastructure projects, new green energy projects, on the backlog of repairs that need to be undertaken in our public sector properties, in providing services that people need, and in investing with business in our future in sectors such as non-carbon energy.

This spending will, of course, require additional funding, but there is over £2 trillion invested in pensions at present in this country with more than £900 million (or thereabouts) in the larger pension funds. In that case money seeking a proactive home on which a positive return can be paid does exist. In addition, business itself has £750 billion of cash on its balance sheets right now, none of which is being spent. It is this combined cash that has to be brought into use in our economy if we are to get out of recession and nothing George Osborne is doing will achieve that goal.

We don’t, as a result, need corporation tax cuts for big business right now: we need them to pay more tax now so that investment can take place to fund demand for their products. That gets the business cycle going again.

And we need a condition to be placed on pension tax relief saying that 25% of all money going into tax funded pension arrangements has to be invested in projects that can create jobs in the UK right now.

Simple measures like that could get us out of recession. Nothing Osborne is doing can.

It is time for change.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2012/04/25/double-dip-recession-proves-osborne-wrong/

I know this is a thread about the US Economy, and not the UK, but I think the bolded part above is really important: it's long been argued by Conservatives that lowered gov't spending will lead to increases in private spending and investment. But this is, perhaps unsurprisingly, turning out to be totally wrong. Cutting gov't spending has NOT raised investor confidence in the UK or Europe. It has NOT lead to an expansion of private spending or investment. In fact, the opposite has happened - spending and investment on the private level have stagnated while unemployment has risen.

Why should anyone believe that the US would be any different? It wouldn't be. Our current weak job growth is caused in large part by the million-plus jobs that have been cut from gov't over the last two years, due to budget cutbacks and a complete unwillingness to consider reasonable tax rates.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's right; the Greeks should spend more, not less to revitalize their economy. What the enforced austerity program is doing to Greece is a slow death.
But whare will the Greeks get the money for this spending? They're broke and no one wants their bonds, except at unsustainably high interest rates.

cicerone imposter wrote:

The US deficit grew over 100% of GDP during WWII; not much of consumer goods and services were being produced - mostly war machines.

Not many people complained about the spending back then, because spending was necessary to survive. It's the same today as it was 70 years ago.
You are dead wrong here ! It's not the same at all. In 1945 we had the only physically intact modern industrial plant in the world and almost no economic competition for our products. We were then still self-sufficient in energy and most required mineral resources. None of that is true today.

cicerone imposter wrote:

But Cyclo hit the nail on the head; Greek's problems far exceeds what is normal in any economy. They don't have the wherewithal to stop all the fraud that's been going on for too long.
Cyclo merely stomped his foot (figurtively) and, in his usual manner, insisted that he is right and that the Greeks are different. Unfortunately he didn't specify in what way tyhey are different or that the cultural problems that resulted were unconnected to the deficit spending and handouts provided by a reckless government
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:56 pm
@georgeob1,
They need to leave the Euro and produce their own currency. They need to have a government that understands fiscal management and responsibility.

Otherwise, there's no other option.