Where is the US economy headed?

parados

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 08:28 am
@Builder,
Quote:

Everything the Nazi party did in their day was also legal. Legislating criminal actions to become legal didn't make the Nazi's crimes any less culpable in the eyes of the rest of the world, did it?

You are confused about some things. The Nazi's may have made what they did legal in Germany but it was still illegal under international law and under treaties Germany had signed.

Fund raising is not illegal under international law. In fact fund raising is legal in some form in every democratic country.

Quote:
You like this system, Parados?
I never said I liked it. I pointed out disagreeing with a policy doesn't make that policy illegal. Would I like to change the rules of fund raising? Yes. Does that desire make the current fund raising laws bribery? No.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 08:31 am
@Builder,
Quote:
That’s a big claim. In their conclusion, Gilens and Page go even further, asserting that “In the United States, our findings indicate, the majority does not rule—at least not in the causal sense of actually determining policy outcomes.

We are a Constitutional Republic. That means the majority doesn't get to decide every policy decision. We are governed by a system that the majority assented to when we approved our Constitution. There are many instances where the majority doesn't get to decide such as gay marriage where I am guessing you would agree with the policy to allow it.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 08:35 am
@Builder,
And just like gay marriage, the courts decided based on the US Constitution. We are free to amend our Constitution if we find the decision to be unacceptable. But as you have now pointed out, campaign contributions are not illegal which means they can't be corruption.

However, I would agree that the court erred when they decided that the campaign contributions couldn't be viewed as corruption.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 02:00 am
@parados,
Quote:
There are many instances where the majority doesn't get to decide such as gay marriage where I am guessing you would agree with the policy to allow it.

Looks like a red herring to me. As long as the issue divides and polarises the public, the admin will keep trotting it out as a tool of manipulation.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 02:40 am
It is very simple, The economy of the USA is going down, down, down!
So that there will be very very very poor people dependent on the state for food, and very litle extremely rich people who will cal the shots.
Communistic model comes to mind, or might call it fascism
(both created and paid for by the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
, both are the same!
But before that a LOT of people wil be killed by the government by food, vaccinations, shot by police and so on and so forth.

I know people don't want to believe this, but before one starts to ridicule do some research first thank you!

0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 04:44 am
@parados,
Quote:
You are confused about some things.

You're not a qualified psycho-analyst, so comments like this only make me chuckle.

parados

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 04:15 pm
@Builder,
What? I point out that the US doesn't allow the majority to decide issues and you call it a red herring? Our Constitution is hardly a red herring. It is rather important to the process of our government.
parados

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 04:16 pm
@Builder,
Confusion is now a physiological disorder? I think you are moving past confusion at this point.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 04:23 pm
@parados,
If the majority isn't allowed to decide on issues, why do we vote?
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 12:18 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
If the majority isn't allowed to decide on issues, why do we vote?

Because you live in a democratic republic, of course. Voting is not compulsory, so why should it count for anything important?

Smoke and mirrors, and lots of feel-good divisive flag-waving allowed.

Oh, and he (or she) who "raises" the most money wins the race.
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 12:24 am
@parados,
Quote:
Our Constitution is hardly a red herring. It is rather important to the process of our government.

Quote:
GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

"I don't give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I'm the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's just a goddamned piece of paper!"

I've talked to three people present for the meeting that day and they all confirm that the President of the United States called the Constitution "a goddamned piece of paper."

Article here.

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - A coalition of seventeen states joined together today to file suit against the Obama administration, arguing that President Obama swept aside the constitutional limits on his power and violated his constitutional obligation to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed” when he moved to unilateral dismiss enforcement of the immigration laws against 4 million illegal aliens.

Article here.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 01:59 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Because you live in a democratic republic, of course

Nope! Alas!
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:06 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Nope! Alas!

Much like "Citizens United" it's all about sound bytes.
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 05:09 am
@parados,
Quote:
I think you are moving past confusion at this point.

I think that your role here is to muddy the waters.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 05:40 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Much like "Citizens United" it's all about sound bytes.

Yeah, sure!
But if the USA is a democracy how come most presidents are family , mate!

You see, presidents aren't elected at all, but Selected ( by their bloodline!)

Saying that the usa is a democracy is an oxymoron!

Researc h!!
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 06:44 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Saying that the usa is a democracy is an oxymoron!

Shhhhh, I'm trying to ease them into this understanding.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 06:50 am
@Builder,
oh ok ok ok ok shhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 01:15 am
I can't see a date on this headline, but it's an interesting read. From a time near the last presidential election.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Ron Paul’s bill to audit the Federal Reserve was overwhelmingly passed by the U.S. House of Representatives. The vote was 327 to 98. You would think that a bill with such overwhelming support would easily become law. But it won’t, because Barack Obama and the Democrats plan to kill it. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has already said that the Senate will not even consider the bill. But of course if Barack Obama called Harry Reid and told him that he wants this bill to get through the Senate so that he could sign it then Harry Reid would be singing a much different tune. Sadly, we all know that is not going to happen. Barack Obama’s good buddy Ben Bernanke called the Audit the Fed bill a “nightmare scenario” last week, and Obama is certainly not going to do anything to upset Bernanke – especially this close to the election. Obama needs Bernanke to do everything that he possibly can to stimulate the economy so that Obama will look as good as possible in November. The sad truth is that there is absolutely no chance that the Audit the Fed bill will become law and that is a crying shame.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:13 am
@Builder,
The fed is a murky operation to be sure, but these super smart people have their hands on the global leavers of power, and when crisis hit they jumped it, tore up all the rules because they had to to be supermen, saved the companies that should be saved and combined or let fail the rest, and through spending a few trillion dollars of our kids and grandkids on the charge card saved the day.

Right?

*sarcasm*
Builder

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 03:53 am
@hawkeye10,
The "crisis" didn't actually "hit". It was orchestrated. And when you say that companies were "combined", that's exactly what the plan was; for fewer people to have more control, and for them to be considered too big to fail.

Shut the gate, the horse has bolted.