Where is the US economy headed?

Irishk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:15 am
@Thomas,
I saw the news briefing. Wow. He sure has a lot of accomplishments to his credit, though. Maybe he'll surprise us.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Another disappointing action by Obama. That doctor must have donated thousands to his campaign, and for no other reason got that appointment.

Posted a few minute later. I found this.
Quote:
The White House on Friday named Jim Yong Kim, the president of Dartmouth College and a global health expert, as its nominee to lead the World Bank.

Health expert = money. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's an article by Felix Salmon on the potential picks the prez could have made:

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/03/22/the-ideal-nominee-for-world-bank-president/

He points out that the other 'short list' candidates would have been dreadful choices, and specifically says that the primary requirement for this position is diplomacy skills, as the leader of the bank is just going to do whatever the shareholders say anyway.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 12:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good article, and the idea of Hillary is a good one - even IMHO.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 12:24 pm
@Thomas,
Hasn't Jefferey Sachs already been nominated by a couple other countries? He could still get the votes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I wish. But the US and the Europeans have a gentlemen's agreement to support the European nominee for the IMF and the US nominee for the world bank. I don't think the rest of the world has enough of the vote to change that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't see where the article says that Sachs would be a terrible choice. Then again, I also don't see where it says Sachs is on the short list. Obama's judgment is even worse than I thought.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:21 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I don't see where the article says that Sachs would be a terrible choice.

It didn't say anything about Sachs at all. The fact that you think he would have been a good choice doesn't place him on Obama's short list.

Quote:
Then again, I also don't see where it says Sachs is on the short list. Obama's judgment is even worse than I thought.

The people quoted as being on Obama's short list were Larry Summers, U.S. Senator John Kerry and PepsiCo’s CEO Indra Nooyi. I don't know anything about Nooyi but the other two would have been terrible choices.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:49 pm
Good evening.
U.S. crude oil prices fell $2 a barrel today (about 2%) compared to yesterday. That is after a similar drop on Wednesday.
$107.30 at the start of Wednesday to $103.15 at the end of today.
> There seems to be reduced concern about the situation in Iran.
> Saudi Arabia has indicated that it will increase production if there is a disruption in Iran.
> There is concern about the lack of growth (or worse) in Europe which could result in reduced oil demand.
> There is chatter about the U.S. along with Europe about tapping the Strategic Oil Reserves. It is, to me, a stupid idea, but there are some elections coming up in Europe as well as the U.S. and politicians may be tempted to push for this.
> Saudi Arabia seems to say today that they would not decrease production to keep the price from falling if countries tap their SOR's.
> Finally, the 1st quarter ends tomorrow. Oil investors/speculators will likely want to end the quarter with locked in profits.
I could see tomorrow with oil down another 50 cents a barrel.
spendius

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 04:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
I thought you didn't watch TV John. Everybody who does knows all that. What makes you think it worth bringing to us.
0 Replies

NeroCat9999vr

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 08:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
ok then, its heading for a deeper well...
o.o ...
i hope we get a new president soon, obama isn't doing nothing for us.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:01 am
@NeroCat9999vr,
Yes we need a Republican in power to complete the destroy of the economic and the middle class that Bush started.

Not to mention making this fine government a complete safety net for the super wealthy.

Oh and we also need to have a GOP president to help place women in their correct place in society.

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 05:15 pm
@BillRM,
What is the correct place for women Bill?
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 05:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What is the correct place for women Bill?

LOL that would depend if we are talking about my opinion or the US version of the Talban better known as the GOP.

Footnote any cute sexual answers I will leave to the unmarried men who does not have a wife you might read their postings.
Below viewing threshold (view)
sumonht1990

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:33 am
The world economy is not good at all , also the US economy it is certainly a worrying concern.The political parties continues the play with the population like Democratic party, Republic party, etc,....and continue in the whole worldwide . now the people of the world is a part of this game.The good news is that....., Boss
please get lost ......
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:18 pm
It was a brutal day in the markets. For those of you who don't follow it all closely:
> Dow and S&P in the U.S. down 1%
> European stock markets down about 2.5%
> Gold down $50 an ounce (3%)
> U.S. crude oil down $2 bbl to $102
The culprits are the U.S. Federal Reserve seemingly stepping back from earlier statements that it might step in with actions to stimulate the U.S. economy. And a sale of bonds by economically strapped Spain did not go very well.
The net results suggested to investors that any world-wide economic recovery could be stalling.
Did I write that analysis reasonably accurately?
Thanks. rjb.
parados

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The culprits are the U.S. Federal Reserve seemingly stepping back from earlier statements that it might step in with actions to stimulate the U.S. economy. ...

Except for the GOP meme that the fed stepping in would be BAD for the economy. I find it funny how the market responds the opposite to what they claim would be good.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 07:42 am
@parados,
I leave the country for a couple of weeks, and the market drops hundreds of points. Whatćs going on. Sorry, the keyboard in Dubrovnik is not the same as at home.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 01:12 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
The culprits are the U.S. Federal Reserve seemingly stepping back from earlier statements that it might step in with actions to stimulate the U.S. economy. ...

Except for the GOP meme that the fed stepping in would be BAD for the economy. I find it funny how the market responds the opposite to what they claim would be good.

Alert financial managers and investors are indeed able to profit in the short term when the Fed pumps more money into the system. That however shouldn't be taken as evidence that printing money won't lead to accelerating inflation later on. The value of our currency is declining. That's a tax on savers and it is the real reason why the prices of oil and food products are rising.