Where is the US economy headed?

talk72000

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:21 pm
@ican711nm,
You have the trademark Massagato skills. Just paste prepared text or copied texts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:22 pm
@talk72000,
And repeat them a million times.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:37 am
Quote:

Greenspan says he's in favor of raising taxes
Former Fed chief: U.S. needs to cut deficit to allow more private investment

NEW YORK — Taxes must rise while fiscal stimulus needs to be wound down in order to reduce the U.S. budget deficit and allow private investment to expand, said former Chairman of the Federal Reserve Alan Greenspan on Wednesday.

"I am in favor for the first time in my memory of raising taxes," Greenspan told an audience at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.

He warned that the deficit, swollen by massive stimulus spending, was crowding out capital investment. We "must find a way to simmer down fiscal activism and allow the economy to heal," he said, adding that that stimulus spending had been far less successful than anticipated.

Bush era tax cuts are set to expire at the end of this year. President Obama says he wants to cap taxes on middle and lower income households but allow taxes rates to revert to higher levels for the wealthy.

The issue is key in the forthcoming mid-term elections in November, with the Republicans pushing for tax cuts to remain in place across the board, claiming that higher rates on the wealthy would hamper the recovery.

Greenspan said that the chances the U.S. economy would slide back into recession were receding but warned that "all bets were off" if house prices started to fall further due to high levels of unsold inventory.

Greenspan, who was the head of the Federal Reserve for almost 19 years until he retired in 2006, said new rules to impose capital increases on banks were unlikely to cause a credit crunch as bank rushed to raise capital as some have suggested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39192044/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

Conservatives have long lauded Greenspan as a sober voice on the economy, and respected and followed his advice. Will they prove to all now that this wasn't a coincidence? Or ignore him now that he doesn't agree with them?

Guess.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:56 am
To go with the above, here's a great piece from Matthew Yglesias highlighting just how hollow Conservative Rhetoric regarding the Deficit really is:

Quote:
Conservatives Still Don’t Care About the Deficit

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mitch-mcconnell-09081-1.jpeg

Back earlier in the summer I did a series of posts on the theme about how conservatives don’t care about the deficit. Conservatives tried to push back on this in a number of ways, but you can really only generate the conclusion that conservatives care about the deficit if by “deficit” you mean “reducing the quantity of federal revenue.” It’s certainly true that conservatives care—a lot!—about reducing the quantity of federal revenue. But of course this is just redefinition.

Consider, for example, Lori Montgomery’s reporting for The Washington Post:
Quote:

Even as they hammer Democrats for running up record budget deficits, Senate Republicans are rolling out a plan to permanently extend an array of expiring tax breaks that would deprive the Treasury of more than $4 trillion over the next decade, nearly doubling projected deficits over that period unless dramatic spending cuts are made.

The point I would make here is that we don’t need to talk about blah blah unless spending cuts. The Affordable Care Act contained spending provisions that would dramatically increase the budget deficit unless paired with tax increases, and since the White House cared about the deficit those spending provisions were paired with tax increases, thus generating a bill that, unless repealed, will reduce the deficit.

Conservatives, by contrast, don’t care about the deficit so they’ve written a bill that will increase the deficit. By a lot. It’ll double it! It’s true that many conservatives say they separately favor spending cuts that would offset this affect. But if conservatives in the Senate wanted to pair tax cuts with spending offsets, they could have written a bill that does that. Conservative Senators are currently saying that they will filibuster a middle class tax cut unless that tax cut is paired with tax cuts that exclusively benefit rich people. That’s because they care—a lot—about reducing taxes on rich people. If they cared about reducing the deficit they could threaten to filibuster tax cuts unless paired with spending cuts. But they’re not doing that because they don’t care about the deficit.

What’s more, conservative columnists could urge them to do this. So could Fox News hosts and conservative talk radio stars. So could the Heritage Foundation, the American Action Network, the American Enterprise Institute, or the Cato Institute. But none of them are doing so. It’s true, again, that they separately say they favor cutting spending but none of them are urging members of congress to make tax cuts contingent on offsetting spending reductions. Because, again, conservatives don’t care about the deficit and not caring about the deficit is sufficiently foundational to their ideology that there’s essentially no dissent from this posture.

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/2010/09/conservatives-still-dont-care-about-the-deficit/

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You and your source are confusing RINOS (i.e., Republicans In Name Only) and CINOS (i.e., Conservatives In Name Only) with REAL Conservatives.

Every Conservative and TEA Party member (I call us Rightist Liberals like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Benjamin Franklin, John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, et al) that I've talked to, or read, or heard care very much about the Deficit. We want it reduced and reduced rapidly to zero.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@ican711nm,
In that case, the entire Senate and House leadership is made up of Rinos.

In that case, you agree with me that it's irresponsible to suggest a tax cut with a price tag of 4 trillion dollars over 10 years, when we are deeply in debt and deficit. Right?

In fact, if you truly want it 'reduced and rapidly reduced to zero,' then I'm sure you agree with me that we must in fact raise taxes - on everyone.

I would add that every single thing Obama has done - every proposal, including the Stim bill, Financial reform, the auto bailouts and HC bill - all those things, combined, add MUCH less to the debt than the Republican tax plan. Much less. So are you going to argue against this plan with the same vehemence that you argued against everything else Obama has done, Ican?

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:32 am
Quote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19818&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD
The Naked Stimulus: Why Savings Stimulate More Than Spending

Despite the struggling economy, President Obama argues that his stimulus package is producing gross domestic product (GDP) growth that is far better than the disaster that would have ensued without the $862 billion in emergency spending. The reason, he and his advisors maintain, is that what really counts is spending -- the more the better, at least for now, says Shawn Tully, Fortune Magazine's senior editor-at-large.

But the administration's policy has a fundamental flaw. It's impossible to raise GDP by borrowing from one group of people, who would otherwise save that money, and transfer it to another group of people (and the government) to spend. Savings, in the short term, have precisely the same impact on national income as spending, says Tully.

GDP measures all spending on all the goods and services that America produces.

Savings translate, dollar for dollar, into a major component of that total spending: investment.

All the money that the administration successfully moves from savings to consumption simply channels one type of spending to another, in precisely offsetting amounts.

The GDP does not change when the government drains investment to lift consumption.

Over long periods, savings -- not consumer spending -- finance the investments in mainframes, robots and other capital equipment that enhance productivity and drive economic growth.

So what would have happened if we'd had no stimulus at all?

First, private investment would be higher, because of the bigger pool of savings -- a positive sign for the future.

Second, the United States wouldn't have to borrow nearly as much from abroad.

Source: Shawn Tully, "The Naked Stimulus: Why Savings Stimulate More than Spending," Fortune, September 9, 2010.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:36 am
@ican711nm,
Quote:
First, private investment would be higher, because of the bigger pool of savings -- a positive sign for the future.

What bigger pool of savings? This is totally false, because the money that is being spent on the stimulus isn't COMING from people's savings. That's the entire point of Stimulative spending.

The Stim bill didn't lower the amount that is saved by any citizen one single dollar; and in fact, it increased the amount saved considerably, because it allowed many to keep their jobs instead of losing the, and those people are continuing to save - instead of tapping their savings to pay for short-term costs.

I swear, you couldn't have posted a dumber idea if you'd tried.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
A typical dollar spent by the feds helps the economy--total employment in particular--far less than a typical dollar spent by the private economy.

Consequently, it's irresponsible to suggest a tax INCREASE--ON ANYONE--with a price tag of 4 trillion dollars over 10 years, when we are deeply in debt and deficit SPENDING. Right?

I would add that every single thing Obama has done - every proposal, including the CONTINUATION OF TARP, Stim bill, Financial reform, the auto bailouts and HC bill - all those things, combined, add MUCH MORE to the debt than the Republican tax plan. Much MORE. So I AM going to argue against OBAMA'S TAX INCREASE PLAN with the same vehemence that I HAVE argued against everything else Obama has done.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:46 am
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

A typical dollar spent by the feds helps the economy--total employment in particular--far less than a typical dollar spent by the private economy.

False. There is no evidence to show this is true. In terms of employment and other factors, the economy doesn't care at all where the money comes from.

Quote:
Consequently, it's irresponsible to suggest a tax INCREASE--ON ANYONE--with a price tag of 4 trillion dollars over 10 years, when we are deeply in debt and deficit SPENDING. Right?

Wrong. The current taxes are set to expire, period. It was Bush and the Republicans who set them up that way. It is false to look at the current situation as a tax increase; the Bush cuts are simply ending. They were never designed to be permanent.

Quote:
I would add that every single thing Obama has done - every proposal, including the CONTINUATION OF TARP, Stim bill, Financial reform, the auto bailouts and HC bill - all those things, combined, add MUCH MORE to the debt than the Republican tax plan. Much MORE. So I AM going to argue against OBAMA'S TAX INCREASE PLAN with the same vehemence that I HAVE argued against everything else Obama has done.

This is a total falsity. You are simply 100% incorrect. If you think you are not, then go ahead and post evidence showing that the cost of the plans Obama has done exceed 4 trillion dollars over the next 10 years. You will be perfectly unable to do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The Stim bill LOWERED the amount that is saved by any citizen MANY DOLLARS; and in fact, it REDUCED the amount saved considerably, because it CAUSED many to LOSE their jobs instead of GAINING THEM. and those people are continuing to SAVE LESS, BECAUSE THEY ARE tapping their savings to pay for short-term costs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:51 am
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

The Stim bill LOWERED the amount that is saved by any citizen MANY DOLLARS

How? Your taxes didn't go up. Why was the amount lowered by 'many dollars?'

Quote:
and in fact, it REDUCED the amount saved considerably, because it CAUSED many to LOSE their jobs instead of GAINING THEM.

This is 100% false. The stim bill caused nobody to 'lose their job.' And if you think it's true, provide the evidence that it is.

Not only that, there's not a single economist that claims what you write is true. Universally it is agreed that the Stim bill lead to some people KEEPING their jobs, and some people getting jobs CREATED by the bill.

Quote:
and those people are continuing to SAVE LESS, BECAUSE THEY ARE tapping their savings to pay for short-term costs.

You're just full of ****. Provide evidence.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:56 am
While you guys are arguing about taxes, I thought I would throw a little more fuel on the fire.

I found this article, done by the folks at CNN Money...

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/15/news/economy/bush_tax_cuts_faqs/

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:59 am
@mysteryman,
Word. They make the good point that ending the tax cuts for the top brackets doesn't mean that you end all tax cuts for the rich - they still have lower taxes on everything up to that bracket.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You're just full of ****. Provide evidence.

I was waiting for this inevitable claim--based on your previous behavior--by you.

Where is your evidence for what you have been claiming, and I have been rebutting?

Here's some of my evidence again; where's yours?
Quote:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2009/pdf/hist.pdf
Year.......FEDERAL RECEIPTS FINAL FULL YEAR OF TERM
1980......$0.517 trillion [CARTER]
1988….…$0.909 trillion [REAGAN]
1992.......$1.091 trillion [BUSH41]
2000......$2.025 trillion [CLINTON]
2008......$2.521 trillion [BUSH43]
2010.......$2,931[OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year.......FEDERAL OUTLAYS FINAL FULL YEAR OF TERM
1980.......$0.591 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$1.064 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$1,.382 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......$1.789 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$2,931 trillion [BUSH43]
2010........$3,399 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year………FEDERAL DEFICITS
1980.......$0.074 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$0.155 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$0.291 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......SURPLUS $0.236 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$0.410 trillion [BUSH43]
2010........$0.160 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year………GROSS FEDERAL DEBT
1980.......$0.909 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$2.601 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$4.002 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......$5.629 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$9.654 trillion [BUSH43]
2010.......$10.954 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt
Year……TOTAL US CIVIL EMPLOYMENT
1980……………..99 million [CARTER]
1988…………… 115 million [REAGAN]
1992…………….118 million [BUSH41]
2000……………137 million [CLINTON]
2008………….. 145 million [BUSH43]
2010.……………139 million [OBAMA] (as of August 2010 and not final year of term)

Year.…….PERCENT OF CIVILIAN POPULATION EMPLOYED
1980…………………………………….59.2 [CARTER]
1988…………………………………….62.3 [REAGAN]
1992…………………………………….61.5 [BUSH41]
2000…………………………………….64.4 [CLINTON]
2008…………………………………….62.2 [BUSH43]
2010…………………………………….58.5 [OBAMA] (as of August 2010 and not final year of term)

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm
@mysteryman,
My only question is this; has Bush's tax cuts created jobs or improved our economy?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:33 pm
@ican711nm,
Evidence of changes in total employment do not constitute evidence that your position is correct, Ican. The Stim bill could have added or saved jobs, while the entire economy still lost them as a whole, because it only softened the impact of a bad situation, not reversed it.

This is Freshman-level stuff, and you are completely and totally failing at it.

Finding evidence that massive government spending created jobs is child's play, Ican. I didn't even expect you to demand it. But here you go:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-08-30-stimulus30_CV_N.htm

Quote:
Economists agree: Stimulus created nearly 3 million jobs

...But to estimate the answers to such questions, economists rely on models based on historical relationships between various policies and real-world results. Earlier this month, Zandi and co-author Alan Blinder, former vice chairman of the Federal Reserve, released the most detailed assessment of the government's efforts to combat the so-called Great Recession. Neither economist is regarded as a partisan firebrand. Zandi, for example, backed John McCain in the 2008 presidential campaign and has advised members of both parties.

Their conclusion: The fiscal stimulus created 2.7 million jobs and added $460 billion to gross domestic product. Unemployment would be 11% today if the stimulus hadn't been passed and 16.5% if neither the fiscal stimulus nor the banks' rescue had been enacted, according to Zandi and Blinder. "It's pretty hard to deny that it had a measurable impact," Zandi said.

Hard to deny, unless you are completely divorced from reality.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:41 pm
A press release today from the GOP:

http://images2.dailykos.com/images/user/191280/ransomnote.png

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bush's tax cuts CREATED OPPORTUNITIES FOR THOSE WHO ACTUALLY CREATED JOBS WITH THEIR TAX SAVINGS. THAT improved our economy.

However, when Bush signed TARP AND OBAMA CONTINUED AND EXPANDED IT, THAT PLUS STIMULUS caused our economy to decline.

HERE'S SOME EVIDENCE.
Quote:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2009/pdf/hist.pdf
Year.......FEDERAL RECEIPTS FINAL FULL YEAR OF TERM
1980......$0.517 trillion [CARTER]
1988….…$0.909 trillion [REAGAN]
1992.......$1.091 trillion [BUSH41]
2000......$2.025 trillion [CLINTON]
2008......$2.521 trillion [BUSH43]
2010.......$2,931[OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year.......FEDERAL OUTLAYS FINAL FULL YEAR OF TERM
1980.......$0.591 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$1.064 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$1,.382 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......$1.789 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$2,931 trillion [BUSH43]
2010........$3,399 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year………FEDERAL DEFICITS
1980.......$0.074 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$0.155 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$0.291 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......SURPLUS $0.236 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$0.410 trillion [BUSH43]
2010........$0.160 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

Year………GROSS FEDERAL DEBT
1980.......$0.909 trillion [CARTER]
1988….….$2.601 trillion [REAGAN]
1992........$4.002 trillion [BUSH41]
2000.......$5.629 trillion [CLINTON]
2008.......$9.654 trillion [BUSH43]
2010.......$10.954 trillion [OBAMA] (current estimate for year not end of term)

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt
Year……TOTAL US CIVIL EMPLOYMENT
1980……………..99 million [CARTER]
1988…………… 115 million [REAGAN]
1992…………….118 million [BUSH41]
2000……………137 million [CLINTON]
2008………….. 145 million [BUSH43]
2010.……………139 million [OBAMA] (as of August 2010 and not final year of term)

Year.…….PERCENT OF CIVILIAN POPULATION EMPLOYED
1980…………………………………….59.2 [CARTER]
1988…………………………………….62.3 [REAGAN]
1992…………………………………….61.5 [BUSH41]
2000…………………………………….64.4 [CLINTON]
2008…………………………………….62.2 [BUSH43]
2010…………………………………….58.5 [OBAMA] (as of August 2010 and not final year of term)

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:48 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, You're about as stupid as the less educated of us. Government receipts and spending doesn't equate to a better economy.

CLUE: Tax receipts have been decreasing while government spending has been increasing. DUH!

Most economists use GDP to measure how any economy is doing. However, one must also understand what, why, and how the GDP increases or decreases for any year. There are always outside influences as well as internal influences that impacts GDP.

Have you ever studied Economics? How about Macro Economics?

Before you make a further ass of yourself, quit posting bull **** that is dreamed up in our own brain. It makes you look more stupid than you are.