Where is the US economy headed?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:15 pm
@okie,
It sure in hell isn't stimulating your brain any; you don't understand that in this kind of economy, it will not result in an immediate turn-around from a great recession into a growing economy. What it has done is to slow down the destruction of our economy, and the loss of jobs from over half million every month down to hundreds thousands less.

You have no concept about economics, politics, or history.

You have never provided any solutions for anything; your meme is ignorance and fear of something only imagined in your tiny brain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:17 pm
@okie,
Government jobs includes teachers needed by our children to learn how to retain our super-power status as the strongest economy in the world.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:04 pm
The great depression lasted from 1929 till 1940 or so when the second world war started. The economy slowly repaired itself untill the second world war kick started our present economy. Eleven yearsor so, why do people expect the economy to recover in 9 months. Stupidity is rampant among most people and emdimic among republican conseratives.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:16 pm
@rabel22,
actually WW II was just an amalgamation of the CCC and the WPA as a major make work project.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:21 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:
why do people expect the economy to recover in 9 months. Stupidity is rampant among most people and emdimic among republican conseratives.

I dont think anyone expects it to be fixed in 9 months, what they expect is truth telling and moves to address the problems, neither of which is happening.

Mean while, unemployment, foreclosures and thus home values, and family balance sheets as well as access to reasonably priced credit continue to deteriorate, with no end in sight. THIS is what has people pissed.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
no, actually it isn't.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Actually, many are expecting for Obama to fix our economy in nine months; most of those who have reality on their side know that nine months to repair the great recession is not realistic, but the jobless people have no patience. They want miracles.

The reason people have this expectation is because Obama made promises that he couldn't keep. Outside of god, there is no human who can repair a world financial crisis in nine months. Obama also made the mistake of saying he saved and/or created over 600,000 jobs; a lie. The unemployment number keeps increasing - although at a slower pace.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You said:

I'm hopeful too, but worry that too much has been spent to increase our deficit - some of it unjustified and sloppily spent. I think most financial pundits agree that the spending helped reduce the greater loss of jobs and stopped our economy from falling deeper into a worse recession. Some conservatives on these thread expect the Obama initiatives to turn around this world fiancial crisis on a dime that took Bush eight years to destroy. Most of us "reasonable" people know that they are are ignorant son of bitches who neither understand economics or reality. They kept claiming Obama was a "massiah" who walked on water, but there's no cure for stupid. Not all the of stim plan monies have been distributed or spend, and they want miracles to have happened yesterday. Most of these same yokels didn't say anything when Bush continued to increase our deficit and gave tax breaks to the wealthy. They neither understand fiscal management or common sense. They keep talking about wealth redistribution while our deficit continues to grow. Ignorance is their handicap.

No, there IS no cure for stupid, or questioning why some appointments in the Obama administration were made at all. It begs me to question: Why was Geitner appointed? I have to admit, I didn't really know who he is but I admired the way he shot down the criticisms of who else, the Repugs! Like Rove was Bush's Brain and Cheney was the engine that RAN everything even though he hides behind Libby as the "outer" picked to take the fall for him, thus wanting a "pardon" for sins uncommitted!

I also need to know why the "stim" is not being implemented to ease the suffering of the little people, on whose backs pay most of the taxes. The 2 wars that seem endless, especially if you have someone stuck in the service. I say that, because my husband was "stuck" for 2 extra years until he had to be discharged because he became 60, the magic number. It seems that this administration gets off on a tangent instead of tending the meat and potoato issues that affect us! Like all other admins, they took care of their friends, first!
teenyboone

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:25 am
@okie,
Shut up!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@teenyboone,
teeny, Actually, the wealthy already pay most of the taxes, but that goes in the face of our increasing deficit. Conservatives love to talk about wealth re-distribution, but they lack the common sense to understand that with bigger federal deficits, giving the wealthy tax cuts transfers these liabilities to our children and grandchildren. They can't see "this" wealth re-distribution with the rich getting richer on the backs of our children, because they're not paying their fair share of the current government's spending.

As I've said many times in the past, there's no cure for stupid. Conservatives want more tax cuts for the rich, so our children will have a bigger deficit to pay.
JPB

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 12:33 pm
Quote:
With the national debt now topping $12 trillion, the White House estimates that the government’s tab for servicing the debt will exceed $700 billion a year in 2019, up from $202 billion this year, even if annual budget deficits shrink drastically. Other forecasters say the figure could be much higher.

In concrete terms, an additional $500 billion a year in interest expense would total more than the combined federal budgets this year for education, energy, homeland security and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The potential for rapidly escalating interest payouts is just one of the wrenching challenges facing the United States after decades of living beyond its means. more

I simply can't fathom why people want the gov't to keep spending money we don't have.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 01:33 pm
@JPB,
That's the reason why I'm a skeptic when it comes to the rhetoric of Obama and the dems when they tell us it won't cost "a dime more." When our government expands social programs to the masses, the cost naturally goes up - at a time when our government can't control spending on anything, and tax revenues continues to drop!

They can play all the games they wish with the numbers, but common sense should tell us that the expansion of the deficit while tax revenues drops is not a good idea. Our economy cannot recover by increasing taxes on the middle class and the poor - now or in the future - when wages are being lost and remain stagnant. People are lucky just to have a job. Increasing demand for more taxes will not work, and will impact our economy in negative ways for the foreseeable future.

We need to begin increasing the work force before any consideration can be made for more government spending. It's called "living within our means."
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:20 pm
@teenyboone,
teenyboone wrote:

Shut up!

Sorry teeny, I am not going to quit speaking out against what is bad for the country, and how Obama and his flunkies are screwing up things royally.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@okie,
Nothing wrong with speaking out against what is bad for our country, but you just can't make **** up and think it'll stick.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 03:20 pm
Like FANNIE, FREDDIE, TARP and STIMULUS, Obama healthcare will cause significant increases in costs to the economy, and significant decreases in the number of people employed, BOTH due to its resulting increase in taxes/fees/charges/penalties on individuals, and on small as well as large businesses.

THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION IS REPEATING & AMPLIFYING THE MISTAKES OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION CAUSING A CONTINUATION OF DECREASES IN TOTAL EMPLOYMENT BY INCREASING RATES OF:
(1) government expenditures;
(2) increases in budget deficits;
(3 giveaways of government revenues.

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.cpseea1.txt
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS

2008: ............Employed
August.......145,273,000
September....145,029,000
October......144,657,000
November.....144,144,000
December.....143,338,000

Decrease August 2008 to January 2009 = 3,174,000

2009: ............Employed
January......142,099,000
February.....141,748,000
March........140,887,000
April........141,007,000
May..........140,570,000
June.........140,196,000
July.........140,041,000
August.......139,649,000
September....138,864,000
October......138,275 ,000

Decrease January 2009 to October 2009 = 3,824,000

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 03:28 pm
@okie,
"Sorry teeny, I am not going to quit speaking out against what is bad for the country, and how Obama and his flunkies are screwing up things royally."

Really? Like Bush Effed up? Like Bush ran this country into the ground? Is that why the bridges are crumbling, levees bursting, middle class losing their jobs? Why the military families are on food stamps? Is THAT why?

Hey Obama looks GOOD to me! Like a sigh of relief, compared to the last 8 years of Bush & Co.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

teeny, Actually, the wealthy already pay most of the taxes, but that goes in the face of our increasing deficit. Conservatives love to talk about wealth re-distribution, but they lack the common sense to understand that with bigger federal deficits, giving the wealthy tax cuts transfers these liabilities to our children and grandchildren. They can't see "this" wealth re-distribution with the rich getting richer on the backs of our children, because they're not paying their fair share of the current government's spending.

As I've said many times in the past, there's no cure for stupid. Conservatives want more tax cuts for the rich, so our children will have a bigger deficit to pay.

Perhaps some do. However most of them want to starve an already bloated government brueaucracy, reduce the size of government itself, and limit its reach into our lives. Congress has certainly demonstrated its willingness to spend all of our money it can get its hands on - there seems to be no other way to limit its mischief but starving them of funds. Even that doesn't work very well.

Consider our own state- one of the most heavily taxed in the nation. The Legislature is apparently incapable of acting reasonably to limit wasteful government expenditures. It is controlled by the various constituent groups (labor unions, advocacy groups, etc. that fund its elections (and pocket money) and apparently incapable of reform even in a crisis.

Nationally, we have instituted repeated layers of government regulation on major aspectsd of our lives, in most cases to reduce or deal with the unexpected adverse side effects of earlier regulations. It is too often a sell-fulfilling and unbounded process that ends up producing little or no improvement in anything and major restrictions to our freedom.
roger

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:34 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

teenyboone wrote:

Shut up!

Sorry teeny, I am not going to quit speaking out against what is bad for the country, and how Obama and his flunkies are screwing up things royally.

C'mon, Okie. That's as good as you're going to get.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
I agree. It isn't "conservatives" or "liberals". It's naively believing that those we elect to represent us are actually going to do just that. The American voter is a patsy. He thinks those running for office give two shits about what his needs and preferences are. The prime focus of most elected officials is to get reelected. Talk is cheap. Getting elected isn't. Politicians tell voters whatever it is that gets them the most votes, but once in office they vote on behalf of those who pay the cost of getting them there.

It doesn't matter which party they represent. They're all willing to spend money we don't have in order to get reelected.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:48 pm
@georgeob1,
That's true, but that doesn't excuse anybody from transferring current debt onto our children. During the past nine years, the wealthy became wealthier while the middle class and poor lost buying power - and their jobs. With some of that wealth, it was justified that they pay more in taxes to reduce the deficit - especially during times of war that Bush started. I remember some in the Bush administration telling us the Iraq war will cost $50 billion, and Bush cut taxes for the wealthy. Bush didn't reverse those tax cuts even as the war expanded into six years with the cost exceeding $2 billion every week.

That increased cost and deficit will have to be paid by our children; it's not fair nor ethical. It also creates a bigger handicap for our children to grow our economy with such a huge debt load on their backs.

Their higher tax base will take away from consumer consumption and the necessary investments to grow our economy.

How do you excuse the bigger debt under Bush while he gave tax breaks to the wealthy? Do you really believe that is fair to our children?

If you've bothered to read my posts on UHC, I have been very skeptical about the Obama administrations promises to keep cost under control. I've not seen anything yet that show how they plan to increase health benefits for 30 million more people without incurring more cost and debt - especially during a time when more thousands are losing their jobs and the tax base continues to deteriorate.

To that extent, I agree with JPB's opinions about our elected officials being self-serving SOBs no matter which party they belong to.
0 Replies