Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:12 am
@Brand WTF,
Brand WTF wrote:

Unemployment just hit 10.2.

Yes, the economy is the subject, I almost forgot, teeny had spurred an interesting conversation, but the economy is no way in a recovery. The only way we are going to get out of this is to fix the underlying problems, and Obama is not even recognizing what they are, let alone fix them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@okie,
okie, I'm sure you have all the right solutions for this economic and war crisis. Why don't you spell out for us how to get it done?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:37 am
The gradient on the curve still looks pretty steep, folks, not a pretty picture. And of course the curve continues to outpace the curve projected even without any stimulus, let alone what Obama predicted with the "stimulus." Obviously "stimulus" was mis-named. Not only that, the U6 unemployment is now up to 17.5%, seemingly on the way to 20%? The U6 is defined as:
U-6 Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t12.htm

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/stimulus-vs-unemployment-october-dots.gif?w=460&h=280
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:39 am
@okie,
Quote:
Obviously "stimulus" was mis-named.

This is actually not at all obvious, and you'll be hard-pressed to find actual economists who think that the Stim bill didn't actually stimulate our economy somewhat.

Do you know what 'lagging indicator' means?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The only thing "lagging" is okie's ability to understand economics and politics at the most fundamental levels.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:44 am
What happens when the stimulation pot is empty?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:48 am
@spendius,
As with all government spending, it's normal for the pot to empty at some point.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
well at this moment I'm watching the news of another shooting (Orlando Fla) so it seems the obvious economic recovery should be based on the retailing of firearms. If every household adds 2 guns to every home (with necessary ammo) the sales would incite plenty of jobs. GUNS FOR RECOVERY.....
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:51 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

well at this moment I'm watching the news of another shooting (Orlando Fla) so it seems the obvious economic recovery should be based on the retailing of firearms. If every household adds 2 guns to every home (with necessary ammo) the sales would incite plenty of jobs. GUNS FOR RECOVERY.....

Aw jeez

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
We all know that ci. like we all know already everything you spout.

I asked what happens when the pot's empty. It might be similar to what would have happened without the stimulus plans except that the pot would still be full.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:59 am
@spendius,
Something you can't prove. Most economists believe otherwise; that it has kept the recession from falling deeper.

What's your source? okie?
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cunning and stealth.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:06 pm
Let's see -- in 1983 the unemployment was 11.5 during Reagan, two years into Reagan's "command." His job approval was 35%. Obama hasn't even made it to a year but those who worship Reagan will have a selective memory. Blame it on Carter, but, oh, no -- don't put any blame on the putz who preceded Obama and is giving motivational speeches for peanuts. There's no book by the putz yet --there's just simply nothing positive to put into it. A passenger on an airplane asks for something to read. The flight attendant fills the request, "Here's this pamphlet on George W. Bush's Presidency."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

We all know that ci. like we all know already everything you spout.

I asked what happens when the pot's empty. It might be similar to what would have happened without the stimulus plans except that the pot would still be full.

The pot doesn't run empty - ever. I don't think you really understand how finance works on the National level.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@spendius,
You're not "cunning" and "stealth" in your case means "flash in the pants."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I know that I don't own anything. Not even my blood.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:12 pm
@spendius,
Yes, you own your blood, because you're a "bloody" shame.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
@Brand WTF,
Brand WTF wrote:
Unemployment just hit 10.2

That jump to 10.2% unemployment within the last couple of weeks is a consequence of several hundred thousand people losing their jobs within the last couple of weeks.

Obama has declared, and probably will declare again, that his policies have saved jobs! Obviously his policies haven't saved enough jobs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, When you are ignorant about any subject, it's best to just shut up!

Prove to us from any reliable source where the stim plan didn't save jobs?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From http://askville.amazon.com/jobs-California-Governor-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-claim-saved-created-federal-stimulus-bill/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=61167120
Quote:
More than 100,000 jobs have been saved or created in California from the $5.3 billion in federal stimulus money state agencies have spent so far, according to a preliminary report released Saturday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration.

The report from the California Recovery Task Force was based on nearly 6,000 reports it submitted to the federal government on behalf of state agencies and their grantees detailing their job creation through Sept. 30. The reports were due by midnight Saturday.

They indicate that more than 62,000 of the jobs saved or created to date have been in education programs, including 34,000 jobs in the University of California and California State University systems and 28,000 jobs that fall under Department of Education programs such as public school teachers and special education workers. Together they reported spending more than $5 billion.