Where is the US economy headed?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:24 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

spendius wrote:

Aldous Huxley did say that California was a new experiment in human affairs.
he said that while living in New Mexico with DH Lawrence ingesting peyote buttons.

Sounds fun!

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
dyslexia wrote:

spendius wrote:

Aldous Huxley did say that California was a new experiment in human affairs.
he said that while living in New Mexico with DH Lawrence ingesting peyote buttons.
Sounds fun!

It doesn't really matter what he had been ingesting to the meaning of what had been said. The idea that the words cease to have meaning simply because peyote is in the system is ridiculous. You could get somebody on peyote to state that two plus two equals four and- hey presto- it doesn't.

Actually, when I thought about it, I think I might have been incorrect and it was Geoffrey Gorer who said it in The Americans. Maybe they both said it.

I'll say it. California does look to be something of an experiment. Living on an earthquake faultline is rather odd. It could induce a certain carelessness not really knowing there's going to be a tomorrow the same shape as today.

PS to Cyclo- I have been informed that the signature line you have borrowed from me is "notorious".

I might say that if you Google "Veblen The Theory of the Leisure Class" and select Chapter 13; Survivals of the Non-Invidious Interest you will find a more elaborate expression of the idea. It is one of America's most famous works of erudition.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:27 am
It is also useful for seeing where the US economy is headed.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:49 pm
President Obama is incompetent. I wish we had a black president like Herman Cane, Thomas Sewell, Walter Williams, or Clarence Thomas, and many more who are clearly competent now and would make competent presidents.

Those white people who think disapprovers of Obama are racist are actually racists themselves. Apparently, their primary reason for supporting Obama is because he is black. OK! But for God's sake, support one of the thousands of conservative blacks who know how to accomplish more than merely declarations of contradictory goals.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:11 pm
@ican711nm,
I voted for Obama because he is black and also because he said he was a liberal but he lied.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:28 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, You got it all wrong again! It's not because Obama is black that most people voted for him. It's because Obama actually speaks proper English, and we can understand what he's saying. The problem now is that he's broken many of his campaign promises, so we can now identify him as a liar. A black liar, if you wish.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The DOW just hit 10,000.
teenyboone

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI:
It's like banging your head on a wall!
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:34 pm
@teenyboone,
A metallic mountain I would have said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, we understand the words, and they make nice sentences. I'm not sure anyone ever really understands what he means.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:46 pm
@roger,
That's become one of Obama's biggest problem; we don't know what he "really" means when he says anything.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Well, we understand the words, and they make nice sentences. I'm not sure anyone ever really understands what he means.

It means they make nice sentences. The medium IS the message.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

It means they make nice sentences. The medium IS the message.
Marshall McLuhan, what are you doing?
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:13 pm
@dyslexia,
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:07 pm
@teenyboone,
teeny, I will say this much, at least your posts are interesting, and I believe they are totally honest and from the heart. I think you believe everything you say, and you are open about your beliefs, that is a breath of fresh air here.

We have had alot of back and forth, but I go back to the same old point, you seem to categorize every hint of disagreement, disappointment, or failure as due to racism. Surely you must realize there are other factors in life, in jobs, in politics, than that? It seems like racism and your pre-occupation with it so permeates you that you cannot or will not look at any issue as having other more important factors than that. I think it is from that warped view of life that you now interpret any opposition to Obama and his policies as racist, and you are totally wrong. Every politician has support and opposition, and Bush is an excellent example of a guy that had good support but it dwindled until his approval ratings were pretty low, but obviously it was not due to race. We could argue what it was due to, but suffice it to say that I think we could hopefully agree that political opposition to Obama would happen to him no matter his color, black, brown, green, or yellow?

Please do not take offense, but I do not think I am alone in my opinion here that your mindset is way too dominated by your obsession with race. You are an individual, and I think that is how conservative black folks view themselves, as individuals with their own opinions and they are tired of being told how to think by the race hustlers in this country. They got off the plantation, and you can too, teeny, it takes courage, but you don't have to continue to wallow around in self pity and blame forever.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:12 pm
@okie,
okie, It's too bad you put me on Ignore, because I've written several negative posts against Obama, and teeny responded with grace and level-headedness.

You're the one who sees everything as race-related; not teeny. Otherwise, you would never have arrived at the conclusion that teeny is "pre-occupied" with racism.

You are a dork who fails to see your own racist beliefs; get over yourself. You think you are a superior white guy who has all the answers, but your responses reveal who you are. Your condescending tone to teeny tells us everything we need to know about you.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:13 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

President Obama is incompetent. I wish we had a black president like Herman Cane, Thomas Sewell, Walter Williams, or Clarence Thomas, and many more who are clearly competent now and would make competent presidents.

Those white people who think disapprovers of Obama are racist are actually racists themselves. Apparently, their primary reason for supporting Obama is because he is black. OK! But for God's sake, support one of the thousands of conservative blacks who know how to accomplish more than merely declarations of contradictory goals.

Good post. It is not the color of skin that determines a good president, it is content of character. I don't care if an inexperienced and incompetent politician that cut his teeth in corrupt Chicago street organizing was green or purple or was a hayseed from Oklahoma originally, I still would not vote for him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:47 pm
You guys really know how to hang it out in the open! If the present president is incompetent, why does it matter whether his replacement is white or colored?

You guys are so ignorant!
0 Replies

Brand WTF

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Unemployment just hit 10.2.
okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:10 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Every politician has support and opposition, and Bush is an excellent example of a guy that had good support but it dwindled until his approval ratings were pretty low, but obviously it was not due to race.

I think this statement that I made needs some further explanation. Although I think Bush's approval ratings had very very little to do with race, I would point out that the black population voted against Bush in much much greater percentages than did the white population against Obama, and I would dare to speculate as well that when Bush's opposition or approval ratings hit the lowest at the end of his presidency that the percentage of the black population that supported Bush was probably very miniscule when compared to the percentage of the white population that supports Obama now. So to be clear, I do not see it as a racial thing, but if you really want to look at politics through the prism of race, I would suggest that if you really wish to be consistent, you would then have to conclude that the racism residing in the black community toward Bush and for that matter, toward Republicans in general, is much more extreme.

To be clear, I do not wish to make politics into a racial things, it was in fact you, teeny, that has argued race here and has pretty much concluded the opposition to Obama was due to his race. And as bizarre as it is, you even go so far as to accuse other blacks that happen to be conservative, of being racist against themselves or against blacks because as you put it, they are white on the inside.

I really think that as much as you seem reasonable in some ways, you are really really screwed up in your thinking about race, and somebody has really indoctrinated you or has raised you into believing alot of the stuff that you apparently believe. Dare to break out of it, teeny, and denounce the same old stuff that the race hustlers preach and the Democrats preach. They do it because they make their living off of it, and also because you keep voting for them, not because they care about you or the truth.
0 Replies