Where is the US economy headed?

georgeob1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I generally agree with you there. Remember though that Obama sees the war in Afghanistan as a "good" one.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@georgeob1,
And I have stated many times that I disagreed with Obama's expansion of that war. We shouldn't be spending that money on a war half way around the world when our own citizens are suffering, our infrastructure is deteriorating, and our schools are underfunded, and student loans are killing the opportunity for kids to go to college.

It's called "priorities."

More soldiers returning from Afghanistan are committing suicide. That's reason enough to stop funding that war with more deficits.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

More soldiers returning from Afghanistan are committing suicide. That's reason enough to stop funding that war with more deficits.

Amen preacher. More soldiers dieing from suicide than at the hands of terrorist, that is something that should be questioned. Do we really love our solders and our neighbors? Maybe we should study it a little more. I wonder what science has to say about any of this, "if I am not mistaken a lot.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Amen preacher. More soldiers dieing from suicide than at the hands of terrorist, that is something that should be questioned. Do we really love our solders and our neighbors? Maybe we should study it a little more. I wonder what science has to say about any of this, "if I am not mistaken a lot.
But your statement above is false. There are not more casualties involving suicide than from terrorists or battle with them among our forces in or latelyreturned from Afghanistan.

The first principle of science is to get your facts straight.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

But your statement above is false. There are not more casualties involving suicide than from terrorists or battle with them among our forces in or latelyreturned from Afghanistan.

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Ok I will admit that the data that I have reviewed could be false. Would you care to share the data that you are using to prove it incorrect?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
As of 3 June, 2012 active-duty suicides reached 154, compared with 130 in the same period last year, the Pentagon confirmed to the BBC.

The number far exceeds US combat deaths for the same period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18371377

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57494963/u.s-military-suicide-rate-doubles-for-july/
Quote:
Suicides among active-duty soldiers in July more than doubled from June,

At least 220 suicides through the end of July
Combat deaths total in Afghanistan through end of July - 204
http://icasualties.org/OEF/ByMonth.aspx - hostile fatalities
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 04:52 pm
@parados,
Those desk warriors judging Bradley Manning should bear that in mind.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 05:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Those desk warriors judging Bradley Manning should bear that in mind.

Exactly what do you think they should bear in mind or consider?
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 05:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
The pressures.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 05:07 pm
@spendius,
What pressures are you referring to? Would you care to go into detail?
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 05:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
No. It's too scary for A2K.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:06 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
No. It's too scary for A2K.

OK it maybe it's too scary for some A2k's and you as well, to share your reaction but if you were able to stand intellectually tall, "how would you react to this video?

I do not expect you to be responsible but I would like to hear your response regardless. Smile

RABEL222

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I found this some time ago. Not savy enough to post it but researched it and found out how to post this stuff

Quote:
Budget breakdown for 2012
Defense-related expenditure 2012 Budget request & Mandatory spending[21][22] Calculation[23][24]
DOD spending $707.5 billion Base budget + "Overseas Contingency Operations"
FBI counter-terrorism $2.7 billion At least one-third FBI budget.
International Affairs $5.6–$63.0 billion At minimum, foreign arms sales. At most, entire State budget
Energy Department, defense-related $21.8 billion
Veterans Affairs $70.0 billion
Homeland Security $46.9 billion
NASA, satellites $3.5–$8.7 billion Between 20% and 50% of NASA's total budget
Veterans pensions $54.6 billion
Other defense-related mandatory spending $8.2 billion
Interest on debt incurred in past wars $109.1–$431.5 billion Between 23% and 91% of total interest
Total Spending $1.030–$1.415 trillion
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:30 pm
@RABEL222,
Good info; thanks.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 12:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Does anyone have an idea how much the CIA's budget amounts to a year. I just realized that their budget wasent included in that list. It should be included under military spending.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 03:59 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
OK it maybe it's too scary for some A2k's and you as well, to share your reaction but if you were able to stand intellectually tall, "how would you react to this video?

I do not expect you to be responsible but I would like to hear your response regardless.

Those guys should have discussed how it comes about that your post passes the acceptability test. How do people who have had a very expensive education over nearly 20 years think fit to post such ridiculous words on an international forum and expect to be met with the approval of their fellow citizens. One assumes your remarks would not be guffawed at if blurted at a dinner party.

Ye Gods!!

The video is entertainment pure and simple. I prefer can-can girls kicking their legs up. Laurel and Hardy summed it up neatly.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 07:05 am
@spendius,
Quote:
The video is entertainment pure and simple. I prefer can-can girls kicking their legs up.

Well I do not have any videos of girls kicking their legs in the air but I do have one of a lipstick liberal.

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 07:56 am
@reasoning logic,
I cannot say that it surprises me rl. It seems to be the natural outcome if reasoning logic is applied to this---

Quote:
The success of Godey's and its imitators indicated that American women--the principle consumers of books and magazines--would soon dominate the cultural life of the nation. Their interest was indispensable (for the men were too pre-occupied with mundane affairs to have time for books), but it meant that they were able to impose a kind of petticoat tyranny over American letters and narrowly define the limits of literary propriety.

So it goes eh? That was written in 1957 by Prof Hofstadter & Co in the chapter America in Ferment of the book The United States which I recommend you read. It concerned the period in the early 19th century when Media first realised its proper niche in the wood pulp industry in providing a relief from boredom with lurid tales of robberies, thefts, murders, awful catastrophes and wondrous escapes and manifestations. Awful catastrophes being allusions to matters it is not considered decent to address directly.

Anyone remotely familiar with the best writing America has to offer will see the vision you offer us, Fox News has so many that I think it is a front for a harem, simply as the expected result of a progression taking place which, if I am not mistaken, is accelerating alarmingly.

There's a steely, sinew strained, determination in the physiognomy of the specimen which is not often so blatantly on view.

I always watch the hand movements. They seem to have progressed as well. Some of them I have seen seem to be conducting, in the orchestral sense, their own strident voices. Or maybe the vocal chords are conducting the hands. You decide eh? You're the neuroscientist aren't you?

Marghanita Laski could address a TV audience from an armchair in a private library for half an hour with only the most subtle shifts of one eyebrow and have half the intellectuals wanking themselves silly. I bet Nancy Pelosi couldn't do that.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 11:19 am
I just watched one of your heroes "The Mitt Romney Acceptance Speech and I have to say that I find it disturbing that people would chose faith in believing rather than understanding the nature of reality.