Where is the US economy headed?

mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:22 pm
@parados,
And like I said, if you want to change the tax laws, I have no problem with that.
My whole problem is with people saying that the rich need to pay more, or how the rich are being greedy or "immoral", when they are simply following the rules.

Why is it wrong for the wealthy to take every deduction they are entitled to, but not wrong for anyone else to do the same thing.

Change the tax laws if you can, but dont display blatant hypocrisy by demanding the wealthy do something you wont do.

BTW, that "you" is generic, not specific.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:33 pm
@mysteryman,
Your problem is unique in this country, because the majority of republicans and democrats want to see the rich pay more in taxes.

They "are" following the rules, but that doesn't mean they are moral or fair.

Telling people who disagree with you to "change the tax laws if you can," is about the most ignorant statement one can make in this political environment.

"Demanding" that the wealthy pay more in taxes is not hypocrisy. It's about the health of this country; schools, police, and fire departments are being cut back.

Your blindness to the reality of taxation belongs on the laffer curve.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If the rules arent "moral" or "fair", then change the rules. Its that simple.
However, dont attack those who are following the rules.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:56 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

If the rules arent "moral" or "fair", then change the rules. Its that simple.

Hard to do when the guys who profit the most off of the immoral and unfair rules, have the most money with which to influence the governing body who writes the rules. Influence that the SC just increased tremendously with the recent Citizen's United decision. This is sort of a ridiculous statement.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:01 pm
@mysteryman,
You are really stupid. It also proves you know nothing about US politics.
parados

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:07 pm
@mysteryman,
Saying the rich need to pay more is an indictment of the tax laws that people want to change. Now you are claiming we can't list reasons to change those laws?

Quote:
Change the tax laws if you can, but dont display blatant hypocrisy by demanding the wealthy do something you wont do.
It's nice that you have decided I won't do something in spite of my statements to the contrary. Would you like to make any other arguments for me before you beat them to a pulp? There is no "generic" you in that statement. I don't know of anyone that has proposed someone making $1 million pay a certain tax rate while they don't have to pay that rate if they make $1 million. (Other than those on the right that pushed through the lower capital gains rates.)
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You are really stupid. It also proves you know nothing about US politics.

Aaah, but Mysteryman is not a pathetic, patronising, simpering pretender, so he's at least ten leagues in front of your sorry arse.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:46 am
“If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.”

President Obama.

Obviously true.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:34 am
@spendius,
You, like many conservatives, misses the whole point of his statement. What he is saying is that the US has established the right kind of environment in which one can succeed. Without the educational system, the infrastructure, and the other government assistance, nobody could have succeeded in business.

They did not do it alone.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
The San Francisco Bay Area added 17,000 jobs last month. The US added 80,000 jobs last month.

Another fact that conservatives fail to see or understand.
Quote:
In total, 633,000 government jobs (in seasonally adjusted numbers) were LOST from the time Obama took office until now, June 2012. That's a decrease of 2.8%.

From http://mollysmiddleamerica.blogspot.com/2012/07/private-govt-jobs-gained-lost-obama.html

If we net the current unemployment rate by deducting government jobs that have been lost, the net unemployment rate would have been 5.4%. That's almost full employment.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Are you kidding? THey are cheering, as they think most government workers are useless goldbricks. The less the better.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:51 am
@hawkeye10,
You're the one who's kidding; they're cutting teachers, public libraries, firefighters, and police. Even the national parks are being cut.

The conservatives are decimating our country with their foolish demands to cut more government spending without increasing taxes.

Myopia is dangerous when they know not what they do.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
for you CI

http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/user/17/state_graph_losses_1_final(1).png
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk, That you don't understand simple numbers is not my problem;

Quote:
Quote:
In total, 633,000 government jobs (in seasonally adjusted numbers) were LOST from the time Obama took office until now, June 2012. That's a decrease of 2.8%.

The only useless gridlock is the GOP congress; they're rating is 12% approval.

CNN poll:
Quote:
CNN Poll: GOP favorable rating lowest in a decade

Posted by
CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser
WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican Party's favorable rating among Americans is at lowest level in at least a decade, according to a new national poll.

Thirty-six percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Friday say they have a favorable opinion of the Republican Party, with 54 percent viewing the GOP negatively.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
hawk, That you don't understand simple numbers is not my problem;

I give you a chart which supports your argument and THIS is your response??!

Dementia?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Charts are misleading - depended upon one's ability to "read" charts.

Not only that, but your chart leaves out "all the other states," and is incomplete.

It also doesn't show federal job cuts, and the impact of federal revenues being cut to states that impacted state government job cuts.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Conservative Republicans have long clamored for government downsizing. They're starting to get it – by default.

Crippled by plunging tax revenues, state and local governments have shed over a half million jobs since the recession began in December 2007. And, after adding jobs early in the downturn, the federal government is now cutting them as well.

States cut 49,000 jobs over the past year and localities 210,000, according to an analysis of Labor Department statistics. There are 30,000 fewer federal workers now than a year ago – including 5,300 Postal Service jobs canceled last month.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think your math is wrong CI. 633,000 jobs won't change the employment rate by 3 percentage points. 250,000 jobs only changes it by about .1%.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Translate your chart for us as it impacts US total employment/unemployment?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@parados,
It's not my math. It comes from http://mollysmiddleamerica.blogspot.com/2012/07/private-govt-jobs-gained-lost-obama.html
spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 04:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
THey are cheering, as they think most government workers are useless goldbricks. The less the better.

ci. doesn't care what anybody is doing hawk, As long as they have a job. I have challenged him to define a job numerous times but he has very pointedly refrained.

You could fit what he knows about economics on a collar stud using a bill-poster's brush.