Where is the US economy headed?

spendius

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
No. Christian belief. A Christian, a godson of QE1, Sir John Har(r)ington KCB, invented the flush toilet without which cities such as New York are unthinkable as you might readily imagine.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Talking about Bain Capital do you ever follow what Rachel Maddow has to say on such issues?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 09:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes, I understand all that; he left Bain Capital in 1999, and had no part in Bain Capital since then. Romney, "They were only titles, and I owned 100% of the company, and listed as the Chief Executive Officer, and Director of the company, but I left Bain Capital to run the Olympics, and I personally had nothing to do with the company."

So, in January 2016, he says:
"As President of the US, I was not responsible for the mess created by 'my' administration since 2013, because I was working full time at Bain Capital beginning in January of 2013. It doesn't matter what my title was, I left the responsibility to run the country to my administration. My title of President has no meaning."

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Yes, I understand all that; he left Bain Capital in 1999, and had no part in Bain Capital since then. Romney, "They were only titles, and I owned 100% of the company, and listed as the Chief Executive Officer, and Director of the company, but I left Bain Capital to run the Olympics, and I personally had nothing to do with the company."

I wonder if some republicans will consider that logic and do the right thing.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 09:50 am
@reasoning logic,
What logic would that be? They already know he's one of the biggest liars ever to run for the office, and all the GOP heads are supporting him.

He's been caught in so many lies, how do people wrap their brains around it?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 10:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They already know he's one of the biggest liars ever to run for the office,

I think that there are many misinformed people out there because they do not do their own investigation but rather listen to some of their republican friends like the ones at church or if they do not go to church they may still listen to people like Rush, Shawn, Neil and so forth.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@reasoning logic,
As I've mentioned oftentimes before, I've written to President Obama that the only way he's going to win the next election is by communication - and not money. He needs to challenge every lie Romney tells the American people, and do it quickly.

He's never going to out-raise money against Romney. His only chance is to communicate all the lies Romney tells the American people.

mysteryman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So then lets look at one of the lies that Obama keeps telling about how the rich need to pay their "fair share" of taxes...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/11/obama-camp-focuses-on-answering-what-fair-share-taxes-looks-like/

Quote:
IRS figures show the top 1 percent of earners take home 16.9 percent of the nation's total income, but pay 36.7 percent of the nation's income taxes.

The top 5 percent take home a little more than 31 percent of total income but pay almost 59 percent of all income taxes.

And the top 10 percent earn just over 43 percent of the total income but pay more than 70 percent of all income taxes.

So, since the wealthy already pay so much of the income taxesm paid, how would you make it more "fair" for everyone else?
To be truly fair, wouldnt everyone else have to pay more income taxes so that the wealthy areny paying most of it?
And what about those that pay no income tax at all?
Shouldnt they be forced to pay income tax, to make it "fair" for everyone else?

It seems to me that you and others on the left only think its "fair" if you can get the wealthy to pay more and everyone else can pay less. Doesnt "fair" mean that everyone pays the same?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mm, It's people like you who fails to understand simple economics. Since about two decades ago, the middle class workers wages and benefits failed to keep up with inflation, while the rich got richer.

It doesn't matter what the top 1 percent earners take home or how much they pay in taxes now. They are able to pay more in taxes without hurting their standard of living, while the middle class and poor continues to struggle.

The conservatives advocate for national defense, but are not willing to pay the price for them. GW Bush started two wars that were never paid for by taxes, and our deficit only grew.

Where's you brain? In the toilet like all other conservatives who think the rich pay too much in taxes, while the growing deficit must be paid by our children and grandchildren.

Your use of FOX News only shows how ignorant you are.

People like Romney, the top runner for the conservatives not only offshored jobs, but also his money to pay less in taxes.

You're too dumb to understand that the greed of the rich has won your brain.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From today's NYT's article.

Quote:
Ed Gillespie, a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, was equally scathing, however, in describing what he said were the “completely reckless and unfounded allegations” coming from the Obama side.

“We now know that this president will say or do anything to keep the highest office in the land,” Mr. Gillespie said on CNN’s “State of the Union,” “even if it means demeaning the highest office in the land.”

Now, this is real funny; the conservatives called the President a liar during a speech to congress, and a conservative newscaster interrupted the president during his speech.

Mr Gillespie has a short memory, or his accusations are baseless hogwash!

Respect for the president has been diminished by the conservatives during one Democratic presidential term. Gillespie is an idiot!

If what President Obama or other democrats are saying about Romney is false, untrue, or are outright lies, please have Romney produce more than one year's tax returns, and have him explain how he can own 100% of a company, be it's CEO, and not have any connection to it? His own SEC filings show him as the owner and CEO of Bain Capital. He also got paid for doing nothing? Give me a f...... break!

I would think filing false SEC documents, and tax evasion are against the law.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:26 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
o then lets look at one of the lies that Obama keeps telling about how the rich need to pay their "fair share" of taxes...

Quote:

So, since the wealthy already pay so much of the income taxesm paid, how would you make it more "fair" for everyone else?

I do not follow economics as much as cicerone imposter might but none the less I try to be informed. If you would at least consider what I say I would say that I wish cicerone imposter might tone it down a little when he talks to his opposition "like yourself because I think that he may have a greater chance at getting some of you to consider his points of view.

I would like to address your quote " the wealthy already pay so much of the income taxesm paid, how would you make it more "fair" for everyone else?" If I am not mistaken the majority of the rich have been poled by "American Express" or another bank if I am wrong and it seems that the majority of them think that they are paying less in taxes than they should. If we are going to be fair shouldn't the majority of them be able to pay more taxes if they wish? Should they and others be able to vote for a tax increase?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
Because there's not talking about "niceness, common sense, or fairness" when talking to people who claim the rich pay most of the taxes.

It doesn't matter to them that the majority of adults approve of increasing federal taxes on households making more than $250,000 starting in 2013.

Quote:
A full 72% of adults approve of increasing federal taxes on households making more than $250,000 starting in 2013, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

Fifty-five percent of Republicans want the tax hike, along with 74% of independents and 83% of Democrats.

When their own opinions contradict the majority of adults and common sense, I see no reason to be "nice," because nice will never change their position about taxes on the rich. They just learned to parrot the folks on FOX News without any thinking or research.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
When their own opinions contradict the majority of adults and common sense, I see no reason to be "nice," because nice will never change their position about taxes on the rich. They just learned to parrot the folks on FOX News without any thinking or research.

I am not saying that being nice to people has an empirical advantage but I think that it might have that advantage when you are talking to people who are not sociopathic but rather are misinformed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
A full 72% of adults approve of increasing federal taxes on households making more than $250,000 starting in 2013, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

It's understandable surely. Whether it is sensible is another subject.
roger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:37 pm
@spendius,
Of course it's understandable. In fact, it leads me to believe that ~ 72% of adults have incomes below $250,000. There has never been a shortage of people voting their own narrow self interest.

Sort of like the old saw about two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm
@roger,
When have two wolves and a lamb voted on what to have for dinner?

Analogy stinks; it's biased by about 100% which doesn't reflect human perceptions except for conservatives with great imaginations.

Wrap this around your imagination; Romney won't reveal his money based in foreign countries. Ever wonder why?
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I presume ci. earns less than $250,000.

Anybody want to bet on it?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:24 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Anybody want to bet on it?

He very well may, how about you, do you earn more than $250,000 per year?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@spendius,
spendi, I retired in 1998, but I'm willing to pay more in taxes. Our income for a retired couple is pretty good; it's in the upper range of income in our area and California. It's not necessary for anyone to be in the $250,000 or above income group willing to pay more in taxes. Warren Buffett is one of the richest in this country, and he's willing to pay more.

Only people like Willard Romney hides his money in other countries so he won't have to pay more taxes.

We're in the 13% group.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/img077.jpg

You think will your ass, and always will.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:14 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
IRS figures show the top 1 percent of earners take home 16.9 percent of the nation's total income, but pay 36.7 percent of the nation's income taxes.

Meanwhile personal income taxes make up less than 50% of Federal revenues

Only counting income taxes is a ridiculous way to compare taxes.

Or we could point out that
Income taxes have debt of 14 TRILLION
SS has a surplus of 2.5 TRILLION.

It seems the rich have not been paying their share for quite some time.