Guantanamo Sex Scandal

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
Sex Scandal At Guantanamo

Quote:
The colonel in charge of prison operations, a Lt. colonel who commanded the military police guarding the prisoners, and another lieutenant colonel who commanded the soldiers responsible for base security have all been relieved of duty. They are accused of committing adultery with a female Navy Lt. and a number of female civilian contractors. . . .

An Army general who was the deputy commander of the task force which runs Guantanamo is also under investigation for adultery, which is a violation of military law, Martin reports. That case has been turned over to the Army's inspector general at the Pentagon since it involves such a high ranking officer.

The investigation began after a soldier -- who himself had been disciplined for adultery -- blew the whistle on the officers. Once the investigation began, it turned up e-mails in which the officers were exchanging information about the women they were having sex with.

What were they doing? keeping score?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:56 am
It must be lonely out there in Gitmo, keeping democracy safe. I'm relieved to see that the libruls haven't managed to get anyone prosecuted for extra-judicial beatings, torture and deaths of inmates, but adultery!!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 03:50 am
LOL Stillwater. I don't think the liberals (in general) care too much about who is boinking whom . . . perhaps the conservatives (in general) are the ones who find adultery to be far more reprehensible than "aggressive interrogation" techniques . . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:02 am
Er - I confess I am finding the whole prosecution thing odd, too.

What is the story? (I have no idea if adultery is illegal in the Oz military, I must confess!)

Is it a morale thing?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:29 am
Is Adultery a crime in the military?

Quote:
Whether or not the military will prosecute adultery as an offense under the UCMJ depends upon the exact circumstances. In short, the particular circumstances of the case must be shown to be "prejudicial to good order and discipline," or "of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces."

Adultery in the Military

Quote:
There are three "Elements of Proof" for the offense of Adultery in the Military:

(1) That the accused wrongfully had sexual intercourse with a certain person;

(2) That, at the time, the accused or the other person was married to someone else; and

(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

Element #3, in many cases, can be the most difficult item to prove. The government must show that the individual's conduct had some direct negative impact on the military. This normally would include cases of fraternization (officer & enlisted) or a relationship with another military member, or a military spouse.

Some of you may remember the famous Lt. Kelly Flynn case of a few years back. Lt. Kelly Flynn was the Air Force's first female B-52 pilot. Unfortunately, Lt Flynn was an unmarried officer who was having an affair with a married civilian. Lt Flynn was advised by a First Sergeant, and later ordered by her Commander, to terminate the affair. She broke up with her "boyfriend," but later they got back together, and -- when asked about it -- Lt Flynn lied. Lt. Flynn was then charged with the offenses of adultery, giving a false official statement, conduct unbecoming an officer, and disobeying an order of a superior commissioned officer.

So, where was the "military connection" for the adultery charge? Well, the civilian "boyfriend," was the husband of an active duty enlisted Air Force member, stationed at the same base as Lt Flynn. Therefore, Lt Flynn's "affair" had a direct negative impact on the morale of that military service member (the enlisted wife is the one who originally complained about the inappropriate actions of Lt. Flynn).

Lt Flynn didn't face a military court, however; she was allowed to resign her commission in lieu of court martial (lots of media attention probably had something to do with this decision by the Air Force).
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:02 am
I guess the charge reads "making love not war"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:20 am
Adultery in the Military. Has that got anything to do with sleeping with the enemy?
0 Replies