What superstitions won't you break?

booman2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:05 pm
Noddy24 ... As a gag, I tap my head a few times. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:00 am
I break them all cause I don't know what they are.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:07 am
Ive started to salute magpies again!!I dont know why.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:36 pm
http://www.wulfie.co.uk/magpie.htm

The Lone Magpie Page
I'VE become aware of some curious customs associated with lone magpies. A member of the Corvidae or crow family, it is a commonly held superstition throughout the British Isles that it is unlucky to look upon a lone magpie and there are some interesting regional beliefs about what you should do to ward off any bad luck.
Here are some. . .

In Scotland and Northern Ireland one should salute the lone magpie. . .

In some parts of England one should wave to the lone magpie. . .

A Yorkshire superstition has it that the magpie is associated with witchcraft and therefore an ill omen - one should make a sign of a cross or take off your hat in respect to ward off any evil.

Apparently the magpie has significance overseas as well - in Korea, a popular folk belief has it that the magpie is a bird of inspirational instinct, which can foretell people that they will have visitors or house guests in the near future.

But the best so far is this. . . apparently, in parts of Yorkshire, one must imitate the lone magpie's missing partner - loudly.

The last one made me laugh and prompted me to put out a web appeal for more lone magpie customs and beliefs. I'm interested to hear from anyone who knows of a lone magpie custom or folk tale and which part of the world they come from. Moreover, is it peculiar to the British Isles or does the lone magpie stir similar superstitions abroad?

If you can help with any stories or customs, please complete the magpie mail form

Magpie contributions
Mike from the Oxfordshire/Berkshire border writes: "In my area we generally say 'Hello Mr Magpie, How's your lady wife today?'."
James Methven says he was brought up in Essex and writes: "I always say 'Good morning Mrs Magpie, how are you and your children today?'."

Allan Foster wrote in with a custom from the Isle of Man, he says: "Good afternoon Mrs Magpie, how are you and your three children?" Then you should nod your head three times.

Laura of Derbyshire writes: "My mum's best friend always says 'Good morning, good morning, good morning, Mr Magpie, go home to your wife and kids'."

James Clarke writes: "I've always saluted the magpie, and held my collar until I've seen a four-legged animal. This is either a custom or a wind-up told to me 20 years ago when I was at college in South Devon, yet something I still do, even whilst driving!"

Jan advises: "Say 'Hello magpie, how are your children?' three times".

Vicky Harrison writes: "I say when I see a single magpie 'Good morning Mr Magpie, good morning Mr Magpie, good morning Mr Magpie, how's Mrs Magpie?' I have also heard that you should turn around three times when you see one."

Pete writes: "My nan always told me to say 'Good morning Captain' and salute it but I've never heard anyone else say it."
That's a new one on me as well, Pete. Has anyone else heard this one?

Tiriel writes: "You have to say 'Seek thy mate' as soon as the lone one appears. If you then see it with its mate, this confers luck in love on you too!
I'll try that one - I could do with some luck in the love department!

Helen writes: "I was told at school that when you see one magpie you should say 'Good morning Mr Magpie' three times while saluting it three times and turning around!ÊDoes anyone know if there are any rules on the rhymes - one for sorrow etc -Êand what happens after four?"
Good question, Helen. Anyone got any thoughts on that one?

Tom writes: "My mum has always told me that when she was a girl living in the New Forest there was a very long rhyme to be said while tugging the forelock in salute; something along the lines 'Good day Mr Magpie, how's your wife and children? And your auntie Flo?' There's an uncle in there as well and I think the children are even named. Unfortunately my mum can't remember all of it so now I just say 'Good day Mr Magpie' three times, tugging my forelock.
This one sounds fantastic - does anyone know any more of this rhyme?

Rosie Lomax of Watford writes: "I always say Good Morning Mr Magpie and have done so since a child - my highly superstitious Welsh mum told me all sorts of things like this and a lone magpie being unlucky was one of them. If you acknowledge his presence, he is said not to make bad things happen to you."

Lindy writes: "I salute and spit three times. However, I am very dry lately as I have a pair of the thieving rascals nesting in a tree nearby. They are tormenting the life out of my poor rabbit - they have learned how to open his hutch and steal his food."
Wow, I have to confess to being impressed by the intelligence of this pair. It sounds like you need to invest in a new catch of the hutch door or else a camcorder since you might at least make some cash on one of the home video programmes on telly from this cheeky pair.

Nick wrote in with a request for advice following a curious magpie encounter: "A lone magpie was trying to get through my slatted windows the other day. I did nothing at the time but have since spat over my shoulder three times and muttered 'Devil devil, I devile thee.' What could be the meaning of my visit please?"
Curious, no idea what to suggest - apart from locking up all shiny objects - perhaps some other visitors might have an idea?

Bernie wrote in with another curious encounter: "I was woken up at 4.30 am this morning to find a lone magpie sitting on my kitchen worktops. Having four dogs in the house my main concern was to avoid the bird becomeing scared and pecking my dogs but on reflection I should have remembered to say Good morning Mr Magpie. After containing my dogs I have just sat there feeling like the bad luck had entered my house and couldn't remember what to do. What can I do now???? I am sure that the same magpie is now back in my garden."
Even more curious. Well, apart from checking the jewellery box, why not put some crumbs out in the garden for it to eat? It might bring its mate along as well so at least it won't be a lone magpie then."

Finally, Marin Bevan wrote in with this extreme comment: "When I see a magpie I'm usually waiting for it and I say "Hello Mr Magpie" and then put a bit of lead through its head."
Hmm, sounds like a case of bad luck for the magpie. Don't try that one at home, kids.

Many thanks to everyone who wrote in - all contributions are very welcome and much enjoyed!

If you can help with any stories or customs, please complete the magpie mail form

Magpie Blog
For general information about the Corvidae (crow) family in general, visit The Raven's Aviary. There are lots of pictures, links and even sound samples of bird calls.
0 Replies