Snap, crackle, cough. Can ear problems make you cough?

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
Holy cow, Lady J!

I really had no idea that they were much more than a nasty inconvenience. All of you helped change my mind on that. Thank you.

I did call the doc this morning and, as they have seen me for such things before they called me in some perscriptions that I'm due to pick up this afternoon.

Isn't it strange how when you have repeated complaints on the same thing that you stop worrying about it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:10 pm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sinusitis.html

more than you've probably ever wanted to know about sinusitis
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:13 pm
from a mayo clinic link at the above link

Quote:
Chronic sinusitis

Signs and symptoms

Chronic sinusitis is not typically accompanied by fever. You may have chronic sinusitis if you have two or more of these major signs and symptoms:

* Pressure-like pain on your forehead, temples, cheeks, nose, or around or behind your eyes
* Difficulty breathing through your nose
* Thick, yellow or greenish discharge that drains into your nose or down the back of your throat
* Reduced sense of smell

You may also have chronic sinusitis if you have one major sign or symptom and at least two of these minor signs and symptoms:

* Aching in your upper jaw and teeth
* Headache
* Bad breath
* Ear pain
* Fatigue
* Cough

* Bad breath
* Smell and taste disorders
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:28 pm
Here's what I'd come across, not sure how authoritative it is:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/weeklyquestion/a/051502_ask.htm

It's specific to kids, though.

Anyway, main recommendation is have a doc look -- sounds like you have, past tense, and doc thinks it's the same thing now. Glad you're taking action. Hope you feel better soon!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:41 pm
Soz, there's a neat link on that about.com page - further link

Quote:
Clinical Practice Guideline: Management of Sinusitis

[ Technical Report: Evidence for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute Uncomplicated Sinusitis in Children: A Systematic Overview ]

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS

Subcommittee on Management of Sinusitis and Committee on Quality Improvement

lots of interesting stuff
and down the page

(within recommendation 3)

there is a reference to slightly more aggressive treatment for kids in daycare. interesting (to me) that they've not just identified the difference, but suggested a slightly different treatment protocol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:53 pm
Doc confirmed that sozlet didn't have sinusitis, btw -- that link is just what I came across between the visit and follow-up.

But always appreciate your medical input -- you're a crack researcher.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:41 pm
There is some very interesting information on those pages eBeth. Thanks.

I didn't have the typical pressure thing happen this time but my right eye was very tender. I'm usually a complete nut-job when anything at all is wrong with my eyes so it was kind of strange that I didn't call the doc about it right off.

Making any kind of appointment these days is lunacy for me. I'm really glad my doctor took my word for it this morning and gave me the meds without the visit!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:48 pm
Yep, the first appearance of green gunk means an immediate call to the doctor for me. I've only had a few, but sinus infections are really nasty and hard for me to get rid of.

The doctors scoff, but I also swear that I can taste the infection. There just a particular kind of sweet but not pleasant taste - but I wait for the green stuff 'cuz I know they won't believe me about the taste...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:47 pm
Oh good. I'm glad you called the doc and got your meds before it got real bad. The longer you wait, the harder it is to get rid of it.

Happy Trails :-D
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
I am very, very grateful and happy that you called your doctor Boomer. Smile

We've luckily had the same MD for 24 years. We were one of his inaugural patients! My son was only 18 months old and my daughter was still just a twinkle in dad's eye. He delivered my daughter so he literally knows us inside and out. Smile He rarely messes around with appointments for us as well. He knows that if we call, it's because he knows what we are talking about and never fails to call in a 'scrip for us. We never abuse that privilege though either and luckily very rarely have to call.

I feel SO much better that you have your prescription now!! Thank you for taking care of yourself!!
0 Replies