Can an "Independent" win a Presidency?

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 06:56 pm
Kasich's team gears up for possible 2020 bid

A primary challenge to Trump is under discussion, though supporters say the outgoing governor is more likely to run if Trump doesn't.

By GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI 02/23/2018 05:01 AM EST

Ohio Gov. John Kasich has heard from friends who see a real chance for him to become the first successful independent candidate. | Evan Vucci/AP

John Kasich’s inner circle is gearing up for a possible presidential run in 2020 — actively weighing the prospect of a Republican primary challenge to President Donald Trump against the feasibility of a long-shot general election campaign as an independent.

And there’s one consideration driving their thinking perhaps more than any other: what some of his advisers consider the very real, maybe even likely, possibility that Trump doesn’t run again — by choice or not — or that the president becomes so politically hobbled by late next year that the political landscape fundamentally shifts in Kasich’s favor. That’s one reason Kasich has yet to decide whether to pursue an independent bid or a primary challenge.

Nine Republicans in or close with Kasich’s political operation told POLITICO that the departing Ohio governor has been working with a tight clutch of advisers and informally surveying donors and fellow pols about the shape of his next steps. So far, he has solidified his role as a go-to commentator for national news shows while stacking his schedule with trips including an April return to New Hampshire.

None of this is to say Kasich is a go for 2020. But his activity has undergone a marked shift from just a few months ago, when Kasich and his allies repeatedly denied any interest whatsoever in the White House, even as he embarked on a book tour.

Now, more eyes than ever are on Kasich as he re-emerges in Washington for the National Governors Association meeting less than 2,000 feet from the White House this weekend.

Far from sitting in a holding pattern, Kasich has been signing up for a wide range of events around the country in the coming months likely to put him in small rooms with even more of the influential activists and thinkers who he might eventually need.

That includes hearing from longtime advisers who want him to challenge the president, and others who insist his best option is to position himself to step in if Trump isn’t around in two years — a path that, in private conversations, Kasich now seems inclined to follow, according to multiple Republicans who’ve talked with him recently about his future. They point to Kasich’s acknowledgment to CNN last month that he would consider a run “if I felt my country called me and it was practical."

“He’s actually been pretty straightforward about it: He would like to run again if he sees an opening. And if Trump runs again, there’s no opening. But if Trump doesn’t run, there is one,” said Charlie Black, the veteran Republican operative and Kasich 2016 campaign adviser who said he still speaks with him.

But Kasich has also heard from friends who see a real chance for him to become the first successful independent candidate.

“There is, I think, among this electorate, much less party discipline, and much more willingness to accept something out of the usual. And ’18 is going to make that even worse. So is there an opening? Yes, but you have to be smart about it,” offered Tom Rath, the former New Hampshire attorney general and long-time influential early voting state strategist who helped guide Kasich’s early efforts to a second-place primary finish there last time.

Still other allies find this whole exercise ridiculous, especially given the governor’s notorious aversion to traditional fundraising. They want Kasich to just admit he’s not running already.

Kasich and his closest advisers insist he hasn’t yet made up his mind about what comes next: “He’s made no decision whether to run in 2020, he’s made no decision whether to run as an independent, in a primary, or not. There’s been no decision to run, but no decision not to run,” said John Weaver, Kasich’s top political adviser.

Even longtime Kasich friends and advisers acknowledge that his inner political sanctum now doesn’t extend far beyond Weaver and Beth Hansen, his 2016 campaign manager-turned-chief of staff. Their contact with most Republicans on Capitol Hill has almost fizzled out entirely.

But that hasn’t stopped the rest of the political world from assuming he’s running, and planning accordingly. The Democratic National Committee has an active opposition research project tracking him, and back in Ohio Republicans pursuing both the governor’s mansion and a U.S. Senate seat have run from him, not wanting to be seen as cozying up to a Trump enemy.

For now, Kasich’s national moves are centered around building his political muscle while advocating for values of bipartisanship and respect that he believes are absent from today’s politics. That’s why his 2017 book was called “Two Paths” — named after his April 2016 anti-Trump speech — and why its back cover features the quote, “I will not take the low road to the highest office in the land,” a nod to Arizona Sen. John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign.

Yet with McCain ill and with Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) retiring, Kasich feels a responsibility to fill the role of the conservative conscience. At McCain's request, Kasich was scheduled to attend this month’s Munich Security Conference to advocate for international cooperation, but had to cancel his trip after two Ohio police officers were killed. He’s set to appear with members of the Bush family in Houston later this year after being invited for an event with Barbara Bush’s literacy foundation.

Kasich is aiming for as wide — and young — an audience as possible, to combat his toxic reputation among the party’s pro-Trump base. When some local Republicans briefly floated the possibility of Kasich challenging Ohio’s Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown this November, he quickly shot down the notion of sticking to Ohio and Washington.

Fanning the presidential flames can only help him spread his message, allies of Kasich acknowledge. That’s one reason his upcoming trip to Henniker, New Hampshire, will be his third to the state since he dropped out of the 2016 presidential contest. And Kasich has kept his campaign committee, super PAC, and political nonprofit active as he travels the country: The 501(c)(4) is now scheduled to host policy conferences this spring in California and New York.

Traveling to such events provides him with built-in opportunities to survey the moguls and celebrities he may need to rely on if he runs. Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who himself toyed with an independent run in 2016, hosted a book party for Kasich last year. And Kasich frequently talks with former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has made clear that he wants to see Kasich run.

Still, the obstacles to running a serious campaign are significant.

Kasich’s returns to New Hampshire — which launched his 2016 campaign into national legitimacy — have sparked speculation that he’s reactivating his team there, especially since no other GOP figure is moving toward a potential run as openly as he is. But Kasich is not making the kinds of personal calls to influential figures in New Hampshire or Iowa that might be expected of him, even as his New Hampshire backers remain in touch and organized.

“There’s no incipient sort of secret coven of Kasich people,” said Rath. “But he’s got an awful lot of friends, and I would think if anything is happening here, it’s stronger than it was three years ago, when he had to reintroduce himself.”

Yet the window for launching a primary challenge to Trump — who beat Kasich in the New Hampshire primary two years ago, and crushed him in Iowa — is likely closing, said Jennifer Horn, the former New Hampshire Republican Party chair.

“Anybody on the Republican side who’s even imagining themselves possibly being in some kind of a race in 2020 has to start taking action sometime really soon,” she said.

Kasich’s advisers acknowledge that the legal and fundraising path to a nationwide independent bid is just as forbidding as challenging an incumbent president in a primary.

“I don’t think there’s an opening as an independent, and neither does he,” said Black, pointing to the filing fees and immense name recognition challenges that plague any non-major-party contender.

Still, Kasich’s team sees a path if Trump were matched up against someone it perceives to be too far left, like Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders or Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren. Some of Kasich's longtime friends saw his calls for stricter gun laws last week as a step toward the independent side, since such a stance is unlikely to play well in a GOP primary.

His moves in that direction, though, have so far been halting. He has worked closely with Colorado’s Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper on health care issues — they’re unveiling a new plan Friday — but an August float of a joint ticket between the two fell flat, including among Hickenlooper allies.

For now, Kasich is still waiting for the right moment to decide which route to take, watching Trump from afar.

"I don’t think anyone knows" what Kasich will do, said Rath, "because we don’t know what the circumstances are. Anybody who thinks they know what’s going to happen in 2020? All I can tell you is they’re going to be wrong.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 6,969 • Replies: 53

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 07:50 pm

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 08:02 pm
Interview

‘It’s pretty lonely out here’: why John Kasich is willing to criticize Trump

Ben Jacobs in Colombus, Ohio

The Ohio governor discusses being a prominent critic within the Republican party and the patterns he sees as midterms approach

Ben Jacobs @Bencjacobs
Fri 20 Jul 2018 06.00 EDT Last modified on Mon 23 Jul 2018 09.04 EDT

John Kasich: ‘Most of the people have been upset with him, and then endorse him and then they get upset with him. I just have not operated that way.’

As one of the most prominent critics of Donald Trump within the Republican party, John Kasich, the governor of Ohio, admits: “It’s been pretty lonely out here.”

Though he does say he would like more company in a Republican party that still seems loath to ever break with the president, even as he endangers traditional alliances or cozies up to the Russian president, Vladimir Putin. “Not that I mind walking a lonely road, I’ve done it most of my career, but always would be good if you had more people who are willing to stand up and say that’s the wrong direction,” Kasich said.

The iconoclastic governor leans back in a chair in his office on the 30th floor of a skyscraper overlooking Columbus, Ohio, and the sprawling suburbs beyond. The former Republican presidential candidate did not endorse Trump after losing the nomination to him and has been one of the few members of his party willing to consistently and frankly criticize the administration.

He didn’t see the benefit of being contrarian for its own sake, but as a point of political principle. “You don’t want to become a nihilist, you don’t want to be Ron Paul where nothing is ever good,” Kasich said. “But you don’t want to be a robot for the party.”

Speaking to the Guardian two days after Trump’s Helsinki summit with Putin, Kasich dismissed Trump’s attempt to clean up his already infamous press conference on Tuesday.

“To me it doesn’t explain away what happened,” Kasich said about Trump’s White House statement that he meant to say “wouldn’t” and not “would”. “That was just some short little thing, I just don’t know, I mean maybe he does not understand the consequence or totally disagrees with the vitalness of Nato or the EU.”

You don’t want to become a nihilist ... But you don’t want to be a robot for the party.

Kasich noted his longstanding willingness to speak out when he thought Trump erred. “I’m not a Johnny-come-lately to this.” In contrast, the Ohio governor pointed out “most of the, people have been upset with him, and then endorse him and then they get upset with him. I just have not operated that way,” Kasich, who wrote in John McCain for president in 2016, said.

“I did not feel public pressure to have to go and support somebody that I was not convinced was going to pull the country together,” he added.

A two-term governor of Ohio who ran for office by noting “I think I was in the Tea Party before there was a Tea Party”, Kasich is now more popular with Democrats than Republicans in the Buckeye state as he has made Ohio’s expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act a key part of his legacy. A former nine-term congressman, Kasich chaired the budget committee and made his name as a fiscal hawk unafraid to take anyone in his party, including George HW Bush, who didn’t share his zeal for balanced budgets.

However, Kasich says he saw a country increasingly pulled apart by partisanship with two parties where politicians were increasingly marching in lockstep with their leadership and leaving little room for independent thinking as elected officials simply toed the party line and followed orders.

As Kasich put it: “And now if you’re Democrat, I can predict what you’re going to be. If you’re a Republican, I can predict what you’re going to be, and let’s not mingle the two.” As a result, he saw the United States moving “more and more towards a parliamentary system”, a feature he noted that was not what the founding fathers intended. After all, noted Kasich, “if they wanted that they would have copied the British system”.

Kasich did see some practical solutions to curb this trend, pointing to Ohio’s recently passed redistricting reforms to curb gerrymandering by requiring both parties to have input in future congressional maps. “I like that,” said Kasich, “because as districts become less gerrymandered and more balanced then you can’t just pay attention to your base, you can win a primary and lose a general. Right now it’s just about the primary baby in both parties.”

Kasich’s desire for independent thinking was expressed in his reluctance to support the Republican running in his old congressional seat in highly contested special election. In a looming 7 August contest between Danny O’Connor, a Democrat, and Troy Balderson, a Republican, Kasich was not yet ready to fully commit to support the Republican candidate.

“I like Troy a lot as a person,” said Kasich. “He helped me to get elected but I’m looking for some independence in a Republican. The other day I read positively that he disagreed both with the trade policies and the family separation policies [of the Trump administration] at the border.”

Both parties are moving further and further away from each other

Kasich said: “That was encouraging to me that he said those things because I would be inclined to be for him [and] probably will be once I can make sure that I am going to see some independence.” Kasich noted his concern about Balderson stemmed from an interview where the congressional candidates couldn’t name any specific disagreements that he had with Trump. However, the Ohio governor said Balderson had “now pointed some out, so we’ll see”.

Yet his concerns about politics moving to the extremes weren’t just limited to Kasich’s own party. In looking towards the midterm elections, he noted the question of whether the current “level of enthusiasm among Democrats is because they have a better way or because they are anti-something. I don’t see they have much of a better way,” said Kasich. Speaking of the current push on the left of the Democratic party to abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice), he sputtered in seeming disbelief: “I mean abolishing Ice, open borders for our country? That’s ridiculous.”

In his view, this was the same pattern happening on the right and the left.

“Both parties are moving further and further away from each other,” said Kasich, who wondered: “What does that mean about the middle?” The Ohio Republican argued we did not know what that means. “How big is that middle? When push comes to shove is there a big middle or is there not? I don’t know. But there will be a middle.”
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 02:51 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:

The only time during my lifetime, when I thought anyone had any chance of winning the presidency as an "Independent" was Colin Powell. Ultimately Colin Powell did not want to run for office, so he didn't. No, I don't think John Kasich has any chance of winning the presidency as an "Independent". John Kasich only chance of winning the presidency would be to first win the nomination of republican party. I myself will be voting democrat for the presidency.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:06 am
It has never happened in American history. The closest to that scenario was Andrew Jackson after he got screwed in the 1824 election. But he won the 1828 election by creating the Democratic Party. He created it from the ground up, and the only other parties since then to reach national status--the Whigs and the Republicans--did it the same way. I've said here many times that that is the only way to get a third party. Ross Perot was unable to win, and when he ****-canned his own party for showing too much independence, that was the end of his political career. I'm going to say that the answer to this question is no.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:23 am
The Republican Party would have to support and endorse a sitting Republican President. That leaves Kasich out on a limb. Either he runs as Independent or flips to Democrat. As a centrist Democrat, I think he might have a chance. A small one....
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:45 am
@neptuneblue,
Kasich is not a centrist anything. He's solidly conservative (in a 1990 way) so I doubt he'd get traction as a Democrat. I think he's seeing a section of the Republican party that he could siphon off, but no way he wins enough states to impact the electoral college. He might get second in Utah or Ohio, but I doubt he'd win a state outright.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:12 am
@engineer,
Centrist is a subjective term. but Engineer is correct otherwise. The Democrats are going to nominate someone solidly on the left (I am betting on Gillibrand).

If Kasich runs seriously, it will be as an independent. In either party, his primary challenge will never be taken seriously.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 08:52 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
I didn't think Trump could win, but he did. So who knows.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 06:52 am
Ohio Gov. John Kasich's two paths: Will he challenge President Donald Trump in 2020?

Jessie Balmert, [email protected] Published 9:48 p.m. ET April 2, 2018 | Updated 9:41 a.m. ET April 3, 2018

Ohio Gov. John Kasich argues in his book "Two Paths: America Divided or United" that Donald Trump was able to win the nomination and the White House by tapping a long-term erosion in American culture. USA TODAY

It doesn't matter that the Ohio governor lost the 2016 Republican primary to now-President Donald Trump after claiming victory in just one state. It doesn't matter that GOP candidates in Ohio's governor race have distanced themselves from Kasich at every turn. It doesn't even matter that his chances of upsetting a sitting president are slim at best.

The heart wants what it wants. Or, to quote the governor's favorite pop star, Justin Bieber: "Never say never."

That's where Kasich finds himself in April 2018 – months before he would need to make a firm decision about a third presidential run. With his career as governor coming to a close, Kasich faces two different paths for his future.

Take the news with you. Download the Cincinnati.com app.

Behind door No. 1 is a career as a political pundit, investment banker or board member of a major U.S. company. Kasich has experience in business and television – first as a Fox News host for six years and more recently as a frequent guest on Fox News' more liberal cable news competitors.

That's the most likely path. It doesn't include asking billionaires for money, defending his Medicaid expansion or eating New York-style pizza with a fork.

But Kasich is keeping another door open. If Trump doesn't run again, or if the president is plagued by scandal, or if Republicans clamor for an alternative, Kasich will be there, ready and waiting.

That is one reason the governor is traveling to New Hampshire Tuesday. He wants the Granite State and its early-primary voters to remember him – just in case.

John Kasich, independent

No sooner did Kasich team up with Colorado's Democratic governor, John Hickenlooper, on health care than people started speculating about an independent bid for president. The pair even inspired a celebrity couple name for their unity ticket: Kasichlooper.

Kasich has considered an independent bid, but it's unclear how seriously.

There are good reasons to avoid a third-party campaign: They've never before led to the White House. (The most successful third-party candidate was Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 when the former president earned just 88 electoral votes.)

"Running as an independent for president of the United States is a fool’s errand," said Andrew Smith, director of the Survey Center at the University of New Hampshire.

One reason is institutional: Republicans and Democrats set up the systems that help their candidates win. Forty-eight states, including Ohio, have a winner-take-all allocation of their electoral votes. In those states, along with the District of Columbia, an independent candidate would have to best both the Republican and Democrat to win any electoral votes at all.

Another is behavioral: People don't like voting for people who can't win, said Walter Stone, a professor emeritus at University of California-Davis and author of "Three’s a Crowd: The Dynamic of Third Parties, Ross Perot, and Republican Resurgence."

Republicans and Democrats often complain that independent candidates are simply spoilers. In 2016, plenty called a vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein a vote for Trump. In 2000, Democrats wailed that Ralph Nader had helped George W. Bush win Florida.

"If I were advising John Kasich, I would advise him to not run as an independent," Stone said. "Although it is very difficult to unseat an incumbent president, if you can win the nomination then you have a much better chance of winning the election."

John Kasich, Republican

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger stood in front of a giant "New Way" sign at a Los Angeles-area rally, looking out into a crowd of Republicans fed up with divisiveness in Trump's GOP. Kasich was seated in the front row.

“John, get back to Washington and kick some butt, OK? And take care of this mess once and for all. We can’t take it anymore,” Schwarzenegger said.

The people in that room, including Schwarzenegger, are Kasich's kind of Republicans: moderate voters more concerned about shoring up the nation's finances than fighting over border walls. But are they an endangered breed in the party of Trump?

Kasich's best path to the White House is through the Republican Party – but it's a narrow one.

Six in 10 of New Hampshire's GOP voters plan to pick Trump again; just 18 percent would vote for someone else, according to the most recent University of New Hampshire poll.

"I don’t think there is an opening within the Republican party right now," said Smith, the University of New Hampshire pollster. One poll even showed Trump beating Kasich, 62 percent to 27 percent, in Ohio. However, another New Hampshire-based poll showed Kasich just 6 percentage points behind Trump in a two-way race.

(To be clear: The first primary is just under two years away and most voters aren't paying attention.)

Former New Hampshire Attorney General Tom Rath, who supported Kasich's 2016 presidential bid, says the Ohio governor is better suited to challenge Trump than any other GOP candidate. (Think Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake or Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse.)

New Hampshire voters and donors already know Kasich. He was an early supporter of New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu, a more middle-of-the-road Republican like Kasich. And he campaigned in New Hampshire heavily in 2016, finishing second in the nation's first primary – although distantly.

In New Hampshire, Kasich is "a known commodity. He hasn’t worn out his welcome," Rath said.

Why New Hampshire?

New Hampshire's Republican voters – unlike those in Iowa or South Carolina – are more concerned with being economically conservative than socially conservative. That's why Kasich targetted the state in 2016 and why it would be a key part of any 2020 bid.

Dave St. George runs a cafe in downtown Henniker, a town of about 4,800 people where Kasich will speak Tuesday. St. George remembers the Ohio governor from Kasich's 2016 presidential bid and thinks he could do well against Trump.

"Against this clown? Absolutely. (Trump) promised too much," St. George said. "Hopefully (Kasich) will be able to have another shot."

New Hampshire has a substantial number of "undeclared" voters, who choose each primary to pull either a Republican or Democratic ballot. But that doesn't mean the state is filled with independents, Smith cautioned. Most people stick to one party even if they aren't registered as Republican or Democrat.

New Hampshire also has a history – well, at least one instance – of unseating incumbent presidents.

In 1968, Minnesota Sen. Eugene McCarthy won 41 percent of the New Hampshire primary vote, securing more delegates than sitting President Lyndon Johnson. Johnson, who was in the middle of fighting an unpopular war in Vietnam, was stunned and decided not to run for reelection.

But McCarthy didn't go on to win the Democratic nomination, much less the presidency, proving how difficult the road to victory can be. Still, if there's a path for Kasich, it goes through New Hampshire.

"If there is a challenge to (Trump) going forward," Rath said, "it’s going to start in New Hampshire."
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 09:07 am
I hope more people just start voting for who they want instead of strategizing about how to win elections. If the Trump phenomenon has proved anything, it's that dissent is powerful. Trump represents dissent against Obama and changes everything that was established under Obama. Likewise, anti-Trumpism has meant questioning of current policy directions and efforts toward effectuating dissent against the current administration.

Voting is finally losing its luster as the great pacifier of public political participation beyond electing representatives. When people choose an independent candidate, it causes them to think about what they really care about instead of trying to fit their beliefs into what they expect will be popular, and that promotes the kind of independent thinking that is really the basis for good democracy and liberty.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:30 pm
Kasich says Ohio election was a "vote on the president"

Last Updated Aug 8, 2018 6:23 PM EDT

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Ohio voters who cast so many votes for Democrat Danny O'Connor in a solidly Republican district were "sending a message to the Republicans to knock it off."

The Republican governor made the comments in an exclusive interview with CBS News correspondent Ed O'Keefe, following the special election Tuesday night in Ohio's 12th Congressional District that is still too close to call. President Trump and the GOP have declared victory for Republican Troy Balderson, but no major news outlet has yet called the race for either candidate. Kasich suggested he believes a number of Republican women voted for O'Connor over Balderson.

"Well, the voters here sent a message to the Republicans to knock it off," Kasich, who has been critical of Mr. Trump, told O'Keefe. "Stop the chaos, the division, no more of this family separation that we see at the border or taking people's healthcare away. I think that have — basically have had enough and they're sending a message to the Republicans, including the Republican in the White House...And what happened here, in this district, people will not, maybe not understand this. This district is so Republican, there should never even have been an election here. And it was so close and -- in one of the counties that's so solidly Republican -- where a Republican would normally win by 70 percent, it broke basically 50-50."

"So, some Republicans sat at home, but what I think happened, and we don't have all the numbers yet, I think you will find a lot of Republican women who not only didn't sit at home, but a significant percentage, or some percentage of them voted for the Democrat," he added.

Mr. Trump, who held a rally for Balderson last week, has already taken credit for what he sees as a Balderson win. But Kasich didn't think the president should be so comfortable, and the close race "was a vote on the president."

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
When I decided to go to Ohio for Troy Balderson, he was down in early voting 64 to 36. That was not good. After my speech on Saturday night, there was a big turn for the better. Now Troy wins a great victory during a very tough time of the year for voting. He will win BIG in Nov.

10:59 PM - Aug 7, 2018

"Well look, first of all, the seat is overwhelmingly Republican," Kasich said. "It shouldn't have been this close and if this, this really, I don't think, wasn't a vote on Balderson or a vote on the Democrat, I think it was a vote on the president. And I think the message was you gotta stop doing what you're doing. All these tweets, all this disruption, all this chaos, all this division, all the negativity. It has to stop. That's what I think they were saying."

Kasich scolds GOP leaders for thinking "they have to ask permission from the president to do anything"

Democrats, Kasich said, are motivated ahead of the midterm elections, and as Republicans battle to hold onto the House, a number of districts are potentially even more vulnerable than Ohio's 12th Congressional District. Republicans, he claimed, are "turned off," and some are beginning to vote for Democrats.

"We may be entering, may on the edge of entering a post-partisan environment where people are gonna start thinking a little more about the person and a little bit less about the party," Kasich said. "In my opinion, that's good for the country, but I hope my party will think about what we're doing in Ohio to help people from top to bottom. To me, that's the winning message."

The former 2016 presidential candidate, who has attempted to keep his profile a national one, also didn't rule out the possibility of another presidential bid Wednesday.

"I've said that all my options are on the table," Kasich said. "I happen to believe -- and I'm a positive populist, the president is a negative populist -- I believe that people do have serious problems, but I think they can be lifted. I don't play the victim game. Now, I don't know where that's gonna take me, but I'm gonna keep doing what I have been doing for several years now -- and including on that debate stage -- to talk positively about the future of our country."
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 05:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If Kasich runs seriously, it will be as an independent. In either party, his primary challenge will never be taken seriously.

If he runs it will cost Trump the WH. Then Gillibrand can open the borders while she reinvents ICE.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2018 08:05 am
Kasich: ‘Our party is shrinking’
By AUBREE ELIZA WEAVER 09/02/2018 11:52 AM EDT

The midterms are just around the corner and the Republican Party is struggling, Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Sunday on CBS' “Face the Nation.”

“Unfortunately, our party is shrinking,” Kasich said. “We’re now down to about 25 percent. It’s all becoming like a remnant. Parties go through this, but the party has shrunk. And in my state and in my community and in my district, we had a congressional race that the Republican who took my place was able to win by 17 points. And in this election — yes, just a couple of weeks ago — he won by the skin of his teeth.”

The governor was referring to last month’s hard-fought special election in Ohio’s 12th Congressional District. Both Kasich and President Donald Trump endorsed Republican Troy Balderson in the race; Balderson pulled out a slim win over Danny O’Connor to succeed Pat Tiberi, who succeeded Kasich himself.

“I talked to [Balderson] the other day,” Kasich said. “I’m proud of him. He’s saying that the tariffs are a bad idea. He’s also beginning to say, you know, how he said turn off the television, don’t listen to all the talk television and let us get together as Americans. I was proud of him.”

Kasich added that people “spend so much time talking about how lost the Republicans are, but you think about the Democratic Party moving farther and father to the left. … Our country is not center right or center left. It’s not on the extremes.

In terms of his own political future, Kasich isn’t ready to completely write off the Republican Party. If he were to run in 2020, Kasich maintains that it would be as a Republican and that the party is still worth saving.

“Well, I’m going to do my level best, but at the end, I worry about my country,” said Kasich, who was a candidate in the 2016 GOP primaries. “I worry about my country being a great leader in the world, not more conflict, which can lead to — let’s not even go there. I want my country where the people that live in this country, whoever they are, feel as though they have a hope, they’re respected and they can be successful. That, to me, is what it is really all about.”
camlok

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2018 12:00 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
“I talked to [Balderson] the other day,” ,,,

He’s also beginning to say, you know, how he said turn off the television, don’t listen to all the talk television and let us get together as Americans. I was proud of him.”

Just what America needs, right, neptuneblue, a bunch of brainwashed people discussing how to fix things.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2018 10:37 pm
If by "independent" you mean running by himself with no party, I don't see it at this time. As mass communication continues to change at breakneck speed, I can't speak for the future.

If by "independent" you mean "third party", then I say it's possible. Don't forget a third party candidate might need only 34% of the vote in each state to win. Perot got 20% of the total popular vote, and mass communication strategies have evolved since then.

Don't think it would be Kasich, though. I think it would be somebody with fresher, newer ideas who appeals to the young.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 11:48 am
No one has won the presidency as an independent. Plump ran in the Republican primaries, won the nomination at the Republican convention and ran as a Republican. No one has ever won the presidency as an independent.
camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 11:51 am
@Setanta,
That is because "independent" is foreign to most Americans. This is evident in how brainwashed they are.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:40 pm
No.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 06:13 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

When people choose an independent candidate, it causes them to think about what they really care about instead of trying to fit their beliefs into what they expect will be popular, and that promotes the kind of independent thinking that is really the basis for good democracy and liberty.

Does anyone who longs for a third party candidate to sweep the nation actually believe that there is some consensus person with consensus opinions who could bridge the gap between right and left and actually get any of that done when in office?

Pick a policy position that this imaginary person would hold and let's see if we can get a consensus between parties on this board.