Dry Sex (Africa and AIDS)

Zane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:14 am
http://mickhartley.typepad.com/blog/2005/01/dry_sex.html

Quote:
Widely practised in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia and South Africa, dry sex is hardly ever spoken about. It is penetrative sex between a man and a woman, where the woman has previously inserted a substance - methylated spirits, antiseptics, coarse salt, snuff, bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, talcum powder, ice, alum, Zam-Buk, traditional muti (usually prescribed by a traditional healer), soil with baboon urine, shredded newspaper, household detergents or bleach - into her cervix in order to make her vagina dry. Some women insert drying herbs in a cloth or stocking, which they keep inside during foreplay and remove just before penetration to 'make the thing behave, as one woman put it. They do this so when their lovers enter them, they are 'dry and clean,' because both men and women see their wetness as a sign of promiscuity and dirt.

Sipewe Mhakeni used herbs from the Mugugudhu tree. After grinding the stem and leaf, she would mix just a pinch of the sand-colored powder with water, wrap it in a bit of nylon stocking, and insert it into her vagina for 10 to 15 minutes. The herbs swell the soft tissues of the vagina, make it hot, and dry it out. That made sex "very painful," says Mhakeni. But, she adds, "Our African husbands enjoy sex with a dry vagina."

Many women concur that dry sex, as this practice is called, hurts. Yet it is common throughout southern Africa, where the AIDS epidemic is worse than anywhere in the world. Researchers conducting a study in Zimbabwe, where Mhakeni lives, had trouble finding a control group of women who did not engage in some form of the practice. Some women dry out their vaginas with mutendo wegudo -- soil with baboon urine -- that they obtain from traditional healers, while others use detergents, salt, cotton, or shredded newspaper. Research shows that dry sex causes vaginal lacerations and suppresses the vagina's natural bacteria, both of which increase the likelihood of HIV infection. And some AIDS workers believe the extra friction makes condoms tear more easily.

Dry sex is not the only way African women subordinate their sexual safety to men's pleasure. In a few cultures, a woman's vagina is kept tight by sewing it almost shut. But in most African societies, the methods are subtler: Girls are socialized to yield sexual decision-making to men. Prisca Mhlolo is in charge of counseling at The Centre, a large organization for HIV-positive Zimbabweans. "You're not even allowed to say, 'Can we have sex?' " she notes. "So it's very hard to bring up condoms."

Mhlolo speaks from both professional and personal experience. She is HIV-positive, infected by her late husband. As AIDS eroded his immune system, he suffered from herpes, which broke into open sores on his penis. Mhlolo suggested condoms, "but he said, 'Now that I'm sick you have gotten yourself a boyfriend.' It was very hard."

Many people balk at discussing the sexual practices of particular cultures because the issue is too sensitive -- and, in Africa, too racially charged. Whites have caricatured African sexuality for centuries, casting black men as sexual beasts, and some whites still whisper that this is why HIV is running rampant among Africans. But such stereotypes miss the point, which is not the libido itself but the culture in which it finds expression.

Of course, Africa contains thousands of cultures, some of which have strict sexual codes. But common to many sub-Saharan societies are the gender roles epitomized by dry sex: Women are unable to negotiate sex, and so must risk infection to please the man. In fact, there are very few female checks and balances on male behavior. This stark inequality "is part of our culture," Mhlolo says, "and our culture is part of why HIV is spreading."

What South Africa and southern Africa need to save us from AIDS is nothing less than a cultural revolution. Mbeki was right about one thing: AIDS is a disease of poverty, but mainly because at this level the stark discrepancy between the power of men and women puts women at such extraordinary risk. Of course we need to deal with the appalling economic and health situation in our country, but we also have to deal with a culture that empowers its men so much more than its women when it comes to sex. In Africa, AIDS is a gender issue, and until we address it as such, we an never win the war.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,242 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:41 am
Dry sex? OUCH! That has gotta hurt.....for BOTH parties. How can a man enjoy it? It wouldn't even slide.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:54 pm
The situation is horrible.. The lack of education, the desperation.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Dry sex? OUCH! That has gotta hurt.....for BOTH parties. How can a man enjoy it? It wouldn't even slide.

Seriously. Culture or no culture, these people have no clue what they're missing, if "dry sex" is all they do. That's disgusting.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:14 pm
Wait. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Next encounter I have with the "other kind," I'll be sure to whip out a bag of sand, or at least a picture of Whoopi Goldberg, and get her nice and dried out.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
Slappy, you're a sick puppy.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:18 pm
All I can say, is God Help them if I was to ever end up over there. Cause we'd have some negotiations and some education taking place.

Quote:
But common to many sub-Saharan societies are the gender roles epitomized by dry sex: Women are unable to negotiate sex, and so must risk infection to please the man. In fact, there are very few female checks and balances on male behavior

Thats very sad...to think what these women have to go through, all for lack of education and power in thier own country. Its degrading....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:22 pm
Shocked

if I wanted dry sex, I would just masturbate with a stick of bird millett..........
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Shocked

if I wanted dry sex, I would just masturbate with a stick of bird millett..........

You're missing the point. These women are practicing "dry sex" because it pleases their [senseless] partners, and prostitutes are doing it because they believe they have no options, they're doing it to "survive."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
It's ironic in the worst way that the dry sex practice probably increases the virus transfer from one person to another via the abrasions that occur instead of diminishing the transfers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
Quote:
What South Africa and southern Africa need to save us from AIDS is nothing less than a cultural revolution. Mbeki was right about one thing: AIDS is a disease of poverty, but mainly because at this level the stark discrepancy between the power of men and women puts women at such extraordinary risk. Of course we need to deal with the appalling economic and health situation in our country, but we also have to deal with a culture that empowers its men so much more than its women when it comes to sex. In Africa, AIDS is a gender issue, and until we address it as such, we an never win the war.

There are glass ceilings and then far, far below the glass ceilings on unpaved floors....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:47 pm
You really have to wonder how some of these strange things become accepted tradition. I can understand one person trying a crazy idea, but when the whole village accepts it as normal it just becomes scary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
The way of the world, Green Witch... group think can be quite a problem, can't it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:17 pm
Particularly when "group think" means "men think, men rule". I'd also be unhappy with "women think, women rule" but this seems to be a rarer problem.

How does a group practice like Dry Sex get changed? AID's education probably isn't going to do it. If women are educated and financed to become self-supporting, this is a start.

Secular "missionaries" spreading the advantages of Wet Sex? Wet Sex makes healthier babies?

The mind boggles.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
But think about - first someone medicine man has to think: "gee, maybe there's a point to putting baboon urine and dirt in a vagina" -Woman bowing the power of her "doctor" actually tries it. Husband: "Wow I love that baboon urine and dirt in your vagina, let's tell all the neighbors and start a trend".
I know western culture has similar crazy things like whale bone corsets and breast implants, but somehow this just seems over the top of social sanity.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
We were both typing at the same time Noddy. I agree education is the key - for both sexes, but especially the women. I was surprised to learn it is the women of a village who perform "female castration" and not the male authorities. If women refused to do it, the practice would likely cease.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
[quote="Noddy24

There are glass ceilings and then far, far below the glass ceilings on unpaved floors....[/quote]

Wow, that was very powerful.

I wish we gave a fraction of intrest to this epidemic as we did for the tsunami. Millions of deaths, million of orphans, millions ill and passing it on, and on and on it goes. This story is yet another horror women in poor nations face.

But I'm at a loss of how you would change the ideolgy behind dry sex or female mutilation.
0 Replies