Why don't some patents bring their children up right?

Badboy

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:11 am
Some parents bring their children as brats etc and don't control them.

Why that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 26
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:20 am
When kids start coming with instruction manuals customized for their individual personalities that may stop happening. I wouldn't hold my breath....
0 Replies

raspberrian

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:15 am
Kids are like monkeys. Monkey see, monkey do! I believe that parents have little regard of how their children behave as long as it does't annoy or inconvient the parents. In my opinion of course! I am going to be honest, I don't have children myself, but just observing, that's what I see. However, I am around children a lot because my girlfriend has nieces and nephews.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:24 am
They haven't had the control chip implanted yet. Gettem clipped and chipped now! They can look forward to a full life in the food service or house-cleaning sectors...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:28 am
Obviously parents cant be with their kids all the time so outside influences take over.
My friend has a 6 year old daughter and its amazing to see how differently she acts when her friends are around,she copies the older ones exactly, even her facial expressions have become more severe and grown up when 'angry'.
Many a time Ive heard kids say things which can only have come from their parents, the phrasing is that of a grown up so I also think kids take note of their parents more than they realise, especially with regards to telling off their younger siblings.

Kids are people too, once they start having opinions of their own it all goes downhill.
I have no idea how to MAKE them behave well, I can only suggest that we PURSUADE them to behave nicely.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:38 am
I am still a bit cranky about the inability of Adam and Eve to control theirs.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:41 am
goodfielder wrote:

A certain 'Mary' and 'Joseph' had some serious issues, kid turned out to be a real troublemaker, got the death sentence.....
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:45 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

A certain 'Mary' and 'Joseph' had some serious issues, kid turned out to be a real troublemaker, got the death sentence.....

But doesn't His life make beautiful reading? Mary and Joseph were fine parents as well as being role models for any couple in terms of love and commitment to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Adam and Eve, they didn't have any role models to guide them but they should have been awake to the potential for sibling rivalry.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:09 am
Hmm, wasnt God Jesus's real father?Did he pay Mary any maintenance?
I never hear of any stories involving Joseph.What happened to him after Jesus was born?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:20 am
As far as I can ascertain the issue of brothers of Jesus is a moot point but I will be advised on that.

In terms of "fathering" - Joseph parented Jesus from a fatherly point of view - apparently. From that I suppose Joseph did the usual Dad things and obviously he did them well :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:27 am
I think the intention of the question was to ask: Why don't some parents raise their children in a way that helps them to cope with the challenges of the real world out there. Any useful suggestions?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:32 am
Yes it was. No secret. We parent as we were parented. Sorry to state the obvious but from that simple statement flow many questions (I hope).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:45 am
Parents are capable of learning a few new tricks from their own experience! How far did their own experience get them? Everything doesn't have to be stuck in time forever because of the parents' own experiences.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:12 am
Yes they are but what is the catalyst that makes them want to do so?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:16 am
Wanting something better for their children? It's been known to happen!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:24 am
Good point. And effective and loving parents do that don't they?

But not all parents are effective and loving and some don't give a rat's about their children.

So what makes some parents effective and others ineffective?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:28 am
Thinking beyond themselves & their own needs & limitations & putting heaps of time & energy into their offspring.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:38 am
Why do some parents think that way and some don't?

(I fully realise this is an outrageous question - anyone who can answer it should book a flight to Stockholm for a Nobel prize in something or other).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:53 am
I can only talk about my own limited experience. As a child of migrants, there was a strong desire to see the next generation (me!) improve on the achievements of the parents. I've noticed the same in the children of many migrants in my capacity as a teacher.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
msolga wrote:
I can only talk about my own limited experience. As a child of migrants, there was a strong desire to see the next generation (me!) to improve on the achievements of the parents. I've noticed the same in the children of many migrants in my capacity as a teacher.

Excellent point. But your parents had the courage to migrate in the first place and most migrants do so for the expressed intention of making a better life for their children. But why do some parents posses that sort of courage (and I do mean courage) and some not? Again impossible to answer but your response is really interesting and has given me something to think about.

As a teacher you would have a really valuable insight into parental motivation as well - something I hadn't even considered. Fertile ground for research I think.
0 Replies