To Be or Not to be...a Royal?

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:31 pm
Hey all you gals out there Cool :

Comparing the recent news of two very different yet the same women - Crown Princess of Denmark Mary and Crown Princess of Japan Masako - and the two different situations they are now going through (Mary is on the top of the world, both the Danes and the Aussies still love her, while Masako, despite being married to the Crown prince for over 10 years, is still struggling with depression and related illnesses) what do you think about marrying into a royal family? I can understand that because one is a western family and the other is a eastern family (and so will be more strict in rules and regulations) a true comparison will be impossible, but just from a general view point?

It is really sad about HRH Masako tho, considering she is one of the most learned women in this world, exp from the eastern side. Harvard and Oxford graduate and fluent in 5 languages!! It's almost a waste. Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 13
No top replies

trixabell

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
hmm...i dont suppose i have a great deal to offer here.. if i ever marry it will be for love (awww) and havnt ever been that much of a monarchy entusiast.
as to the difference between the two ladies you have mentioned though, its no more of a difference between two similar normal people, or two similar celebrities. also wrt to masako, intelligence is only wasted if you're actually unhappy in not exercising it in the way that you want to. im a cambridge undergrad myself and a girl in my year is planning to get her degree then become a housewife - if thats what is going to make her happy its not a 'waste' as such, its just mildly bizarre...

trix -x-
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:20 am
I would NEVER want to marry either a Royal, or a celebrity. I like my privacy, and would not want my every move noted and published by the scandal mags. Yeech!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:34 am
Hi everyone Very Happy Very Happy :

Surprised Trixabell: You are a cambridge undergrad?? Wow - that is really impressive! What subject are you studying? By the sounds of it you sound really intelligent (what you said here was perfectly correct, but Masako is extremely unhappy - did you know she turned down the prince's proposal TWICE because she was afraid she would not fit in to the conservative style royal household, with her talents and all). I would love to go to Cambridge myself, as one of my lecturers (he's a Cambridge LLM) told me that they have one of the best international law (what I plan to study) faculties in the world. Very pleased to meet you.

Surprised Phoenix - you are absolutely right as well. The mags are mad - I have read them and they make the biggest deal out of the smallest issues, usually along lines like this:

"Mary Donalsdon has been admitted to hospital."

"OH MY GOD it must be a baby!!"

"No, no, just an operation to get gallstones removed, we assure you she is not pregnant." "

"BUT GALLSTONES ARE A COMMON PROBLEM IN PREGNANT WOMEN!!!"

You just can't win sometimes Confused .
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would NEVER want to marry either a Royal, or a celebrity. I like my privacy, and would not want my every move noted and published by the scandal mags. Yeech!

With all respect, Phoenix, I suspect that your stance may change when you ponder the fact that the job comes complete with millions of dollars, a castle-like home, (if not an actual castle), an entire staff of servants, automatic seating at the best tables in the best restaurants, invitations to highly publicized parties where you get to meet people like Mick Jagger or (fill in your list of favorites), several vacations a year at the swankiest vacation spots, several of your favorite automobiles, an art collection that gets written up in magazines, etc etc etc.

Sorry, Pragmatic, I don't quite pass the physical to qualify as a gal, but I just had to throw this one in. Razz
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 06:57 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

With all respect, Phoenix, I suspect that your stance may change when you ponder the fact that the job comes complete with millions of dollars, a castle-like home, (if not an actual castle), an entire staff of servants, automatic seating at the best tables in the best restaurants, invitations to highly publicized parties where you get to meet people like Mick Jagger or (fill in your list of favorites), several vacations a year at the swankiest vacation spots, several of your favorite automobiles, an art collection that gets written up in magazines, etc etc etc.

do I detect a hint of jealousy?? :wink:
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
It's the lack of privacy for me. Forget the money. No money is worth the constant tabloid attention and media scrutiny of your private life.

I would imagine that in the Japanese culture, HRH Masako is expected to play her role without question. Unlike other Western styles of royalty, (i.e., the Brits), where royalty is probably more ridiculed as well as questioned by law abiding tax payers. Especially when they misbehave much more than their Japanese counterparts...
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:07 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
It's the lack of privacy for me. Forget the money. No money is worth the constant tabloid attention and media scrutiny of your private life.

I would imagine that in the Japanese culture, HRH Masako is expected to play her role without question. Unlike other Western styles of royalty, (i.e., the Brits), where royalty is probably more ridiculed as well as questioned by law abiding tax payers. Especially when they misbehave much more than their Japanese counterparts...

Dookiestix you have successfully put my thoughts into words. Cool Cool

And you are right about the Japanese royalty as well - they are very very conservative and I can understand why, myself being from the asian culture. can you believe that she can't even talk to her parents without permission from those who run the royal household??

Good to talk to you again on one of my other topics, by the way! Razz
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:07 pm
No, just stating the truth-if a large increase in available cash and massive increase in social status came my way, I think I might be able to convince myself not to get too ripped up by a few tabloid newspaper stories. Very Happy
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
You are an optimist Kelticw. And that is good too. Wish I could conform as easily as you seem to be able to.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:11 pm
I decided to take a break from politics after that last attack from SCoates. Perhaps a more civil discussion can take place next time.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:12 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
I decided to take a break from politics after that last attack from SCoates. Perhaps a more civil discussion can take place next time.

:wink: Everyone can be civil - including me - when we calm down.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:13 pm
And I should add - SCoates is a nice person, rest assured. Both of you are very nice people and very intelligent too, by my reading your debate.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:16 pm
Princess Mary is now pregnant - and its for real this time (contrast to the kidneystone/pregant/royalmess/paparazzi rubbish) from last time but if it turns out to be false again - I am boycotting all advertising channels.
0 Replies