To trust or not to trust...

kels22

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:59 pm
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...ill try to make this quick and painless Smile

Three years ago i was in a relationship that ended up changing my life. i met him...he said he loved me...and so the story goes. i went away for a weekend, and he cheated. he told me the day after it happened, and to this day says he doesn't remember it bc he had blacked out after getting hit in the head in a fight and drinking and whatever. i said i did not wish to take him back as there was other stuff that i wont get into that happened as well. So he got into this depression and to make a long story short he tried to end his life while i was getting the rest of my stuff from his place one night. I spent the night in the hospital, called his parents, all that stuff... after that nightmare, which took me a while to bounce back from, we tried to see if we could work anything out, which did not happen.

I did not have any contact with him for about a year and a half and I did my share of dating. Yet no feelings like those i had for him before everything happened. Now, two years later we have started talking again and he has straightened himself out, and now says he is willing to do anything to be with me forever. He apologizes about what he put me through every day and says that he was very different two years ago. He said he is willing to do anything to prove it.

I know that it was a horrible situation and I try to take the positive from it, but of course I do not want it to happen again. "Once shame on you, twice shame on me"

So you tell me.... Can people make that much of a change in two years? Do you think there is a potential for me to trust him again? I've never felt so in love as I did with him, so do you think we should try working on it?? I just need some objective looks on this because i get so many different answers from people who are connected to me in some way. I really appreciate anything you can give me. Thanks so much Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:11 pm
Can people make that much of a change in 2 years ? Yeah, I think so. I don't think it would be very easy for anyone to do though. Drug addicts get cleaned up, alcoholics dry out. It happens. Methinks it's usually still in the process of happening at 2 years though.

As an aside, are you in love with him for who he was then or who he is now? If he's truely changed (and cleaned up whatever caused him to try and take his life) then he isn't who he was before all of the problems started either.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:55 pm
You have nothing to lose by giving the relationship another shot.

Sometimes people change; sometimes they do not. The only way to find out is to date this guy again for a while, see where it all goes.

If you don't, you'll always wonder what would have happened if you had tried again.
0 Replies

mit2727

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
Ditto, you aren't dating anyone else, so why not? Just don't try to pick up where you left off, start completly over. Just make sure you are not just dating him becuase you feel sorry for him, that sets you up for a lifetime of obligations and you will never get out what you put in IMO.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:01 am
Personally, I think people don't change that much. It's hard to grow a conscience. His history sounds like bad news. The most classic abuse situations always go with the guy swearing he has changed and promises to do anything to win the woman back. It just becomes a vicious cycle. It's a big world out there and plenty of good people are looking to have a healthy relationship. Why waste your time with someone who hurt you? Fine to keep it as friends, but don't look for a loving relationship from this one.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
You said you never loved anyone like you did him. I think you miss that feeling. I think the only reason you would think about taking him back is that you want to recapture those feelings again.

It's not going to happen. What you once had is gone. Yes, you may take him back and love him all over again - but it will never be exactly as it was before.

I'm curious as to why he told you he cheated on you - if he doesn't remember it? That seems a little odd that he knew he did it - yet has no recollection of it.

As far as can people change after only 2 years? I suppose it's possible - BUT not likely if he made this change all on his own. With no counseling. Guys/Girls will say anything to get what they want. I hope for your sake this isn't one of those instances. Smile

People that betray have a hard road ahead of them when it comes to proving they can be trusted. He has to earn your trust again and that can take some time.

Personally if it were me - I would leave the door shut. But that's just me. All I can tell you is not to rush into anything with him. If you want to talk to him and such - do it as a friend. Not as a potential g/f. Let the friendship evolve and grow. If that works out then perhaps the rest might too.

Good luck, kels! Smile
0 Replies