Dan Rather: U.S. would Rather Not

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:18 pm
It would be great to see Saddam and Bush have a live debate on television- why won't we do it? Is that a suggestion that compromises national security?

American voters have taken a lot of blows, being led to believe our votes, voices and actions influence national government. Lots of folks have said the American people aren't "fit to govern."

But even though we are reduced to infants who shouldn't do their own thinking and are to be protected without question, can't we at least sit in the same room and observe a crucial discussion between two powerful political figures? Come on...stick a bottle in my mouth, I promise I'll be quiet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:19 pm
Good to see you here, Lenny!

Re a debate between GWB and Saddam: Don't expect it in prime time any time soon. The outcome of the debate is too uncertain. Look what happened during 2000 campaign. "It wouldn't be prudent," as Bush Sr. is wont to have said.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:28 pm
Re: Dan Rather: U.S. would Rather Not
Lenny Bruce wrote:
can't we at least sit in the same room and observe a crucial discussion between two powerful political figures? .

Seems to me, it would be a one sided debate. There would only be one powerful political figure in the room. Why would Bush want to demean himself in a logical debate, with that sociopathic liar and soon to be dead, loser?

Remember, this war is not about a three letter word, but a ten letter word.
0 Replies

Lenny Bruce

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:51 pm
I think they might talk about the past, what happened in Iraq before and since then. Bush couldn't handle it. And even if it were Cheney or Powell, our history with Iraq doesn't reflect well on the U.S
0 Replies

Drewster

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:26 am
Ferrous is on the mark. Saddam is so full of it that he beleives it himself. And what possible reason would Bush have to debate when he has the guy by the short and curlies anyhow?

The only reason for a debate would be entertainment, Saddam can speak by doing nothing, or, by destroying his WOMs.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 07:58 am
I'd rather see a duel than a debate.

Guns or knives?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:03 am
more duels are needed, might restore some civility in the world
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:38 am
It'd be a battle of wits between unarmed opponents.

They are both a blight on the planet.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:49 am
PDiddie wrote:
I'd rather see a duel than a debate.

Guns or knives?

To paraphrase, I'm am most assured that Saddam will only be able to bring a knife to this "Gunfight"

That is, if we are to believe him, and he does not have "ANY," Weapons of Mass Destruction.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:50 am
Welcome, Frank.

When asked if he would moderate a proposed debate between Saddam and Dubya, Rather reportedly said, "Mr. President (Hussein)...with all due respect, I have a few problems of my own."

Something about the candor and ridiculousness of this reply makes me want to laugh and scream at the same time.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:52 am
Yeah, ferrous, it's so difficult to target accurately at close range--say, 50 meters--a Scud, even if you could lift the shoulder-launcher.

I say they use bricks and bats.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:45 am
Unfortunately, they're going to use soldiers that bleed and die. I would hope that all of us will do what we can to keep the bloodshed at a minimum. This doesn't mean pandering to the enemy, or see-sawing on our reserve to deal with what lies ahead of us. The status-quo for the last twelve years, has only made matters worst. The time for a negotiated settlement, has past.

The war is inevitable. America is at war, and for the last 150 years, American citizens have not had to endure our homes and people, being blown up.

Remember, this war is not about a three letter word, but a nine letter word.

The sooner we start, the better. The 1st Airborn Division (Screaming Eagles) should be in place. My only fault with Bush, now is that I hope he doesn't delay too much longer. Time is critical.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
What do you suppose I can do to do MY part to keep soldiers from dying?

Click my heels together and throw up a Sieg Heil? Say the Pledge of Allegiance?

My only fault with Bush is that he was born.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:27 am
Nine Letter Word, equating to a Seven Letter Word
Maybe you could start with getting some of that nine letter word, and getting a lot of the seven letter word.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:44 pm
huh?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 03:05 pm
PDiddie

The Rather remark obviously was for his American audience, not Hussein.

Damn near peed my pants I laughed so hard.
0 Replies