patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:50 am
Someone else's might be a dog -- many people, in fact, hold wolves in very high spiritual esteem, and many Ethiopian mystics have a similar relationship with the hyena.

Some old tribes on northern coasts worshipped the salmon. Very logical, since so much of their subsistence and enjoyment of life came from this beautiful and tasty fish.

Personally, I'm inclined to show reverence for the microorganisms. They outnumber me on me, they have the power to kill, to maim -- but the ones that I've befriended also keep other ones from harming me, and sometimes make useful stuff, and some of them, if I treat them well and give them good things to eat (that is, is I make the proper sacrifices) give me back bread and beer and wine and cheese and so on and so forth. Hail to the bacteria, the yeasts, the archeons -- my destroyers, my protectors. And, hey, maybe my ancestors.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:53 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
They have fallen to squabbling among themselves . . . Thank you, oh my Lord Dog, for sewing confusion in the ranks of mine enemies . . .

Your lord is a dog... Shocked

I have no lord. The concept of fawning devotion to any description of superior being is disgusting to me. Rather, i compliment the concept of god with an entirely undeserved comparison to the dog, the most noble of all of the mammals. Were the god of the religious self-delusionists of the same decent character and affability of the ordinary familiar dog, i would cease to consider them a threat to decent society.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:54 am
What about the yeasties?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:56 am
I am unconversant with their religious dogma . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:58 am
Eat, drink, be merry, for tomorrow you may die. Oh, and wash your mug every now and then.

I think that about sums it up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:00 am
Hard to argue with . . . that's the sort of credo humans need--simple, direct and non-threatening.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:05 am
Quote:
Your Sig seems to favor the scientific method, whereas many of your posts seem to run counter to it.

Are you playing devils advocate on some posts, or pulling our chain? Or do you see the Sig differently somehow?

I got the quote from his website, google it up and see what else he has to say.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:21 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Your Sig seems to favor the scientific method, whereas many of your posts seem to run counter to it.

Are you playing devils advocate on some posts, or pulling our chain? Or do you see the Sig differently somehow?

Wow, reminds me of Landover Baptist.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:40 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Ha, pretty funny. Smile I found the actual quote in his article on why he's a Bible-Believing Christian, in which he makes his observation of truth and then follows it with a pargraph which is completely counter to his original proposition.

Frank Caw Jr. wrote:

Mr. "Truth must rise above cherished beliefs and traditions" has assumed right from the beginning that there *is* a God, and that The "Christian" Bible is on par with the Natural World as an example of reality. So much for looking for truth beyond cherished beliefs I guess...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:44 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Actually rocks do "reproduce"... in the middle of suns... Rocks reproduce by means of fission.

What is your freakin problem?! Are you trying to say that rocks have natural selection? I am in no way even close to a scientist and I know that rocks don't evolve.

Suns have "natural selection"... What else would explain the different kinds of rocks? Suns give birth to rocks... Diamonds have a tougher time "surviving" than granite or coal... Oil is also on the endangered species list... Smile
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:56 am
Quote:
Mr. "Truth must rise above cherished beliefs and traditions" has assumed right from the beginning that there *is* a God, and that The "Christian" Bible is on par with the Natural World as an example of reality. So much for looking for truth beyond cherished beliefs I guess...

It is not an illogical assumption that there is a God. In order to really get anything out of the bible you must have faith that there is a God. When he talks about cherished theories, etc. he is saying that our ideas are second to the word of God.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:25 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

It is not an illogical assumption that there is a God. In order to really get anything out of the bible you must have faith that there is a God. When he talks about cherished theories, etc. he is saying that our ideas are second to the word of God.

You do realize that science doesn't (and can't) make that assumption, right?

He's starting from an assumption that the Bible is the word of God, and then trying to find ways to support that assumption. That's fine. He's entitled to approach his view of reality any way he wants, but it's not the way science can approach things because science is designed to tell us things about the natural world without our assumptions and cherished beliefs getting in the way.

Science simply looks at the natural world, and offers explanations for things in a natural way, it doesn't even address the question of God or any other spiritual entity.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:59 am
Quote:

Does it matter whether they assume there is a God or not? Either way you assume, you are using the same amount of faith. Science is based on what we know, not what we don't know. Ruling God out of science is unfair for that reason.

I think that scientists assume a lot more than what you think.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
They have fallen to squabbling among themselves . . . Thank you, oh my Lord Dog, for sewing confusion in the ranks of mine enemies . . .

Your lord is a dog... Shocked

I have no lord. The concept of fawning devotion to any description of superior being is disgusting to me. Rather, i compliment the concept of god with an entirely undeserved comparison to the dog, the most noble of all of the mammals. Were the god of the religious self-delusionists of the same decent character and affability of the ordinary familiar dog, i would cease to consider them a threat to decent society.

Romans 1:19-23
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:31 pm
This entire thread hath gotten moronic and must therefore be smote.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:39 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Does it matter whether they assume there is a God or not? Either way you assume, you are using the same amount of faith. Science is based on what we know, not what we don't know. Ruling God out of science is unfair for that reason.

I think that scientists assume a lot more than what you think.

In order for science to function, it must have a foundation from which to measure things. The foundation that was chosen is called Naturalism; the idea that supernatural causes can not be used to explain natural phenomena.

You are correct that both choices are assumptions, and you may object to the assumption upon which science is founded, but that doesn't change the fact that science is defined by, and limited to, the philosophy of naturalism (and for good reason).

Many people think that science attempts to disprove God because it's based in naturalism, but nothing could be further from the truth, because the limits of naturalism mean that science can not say *anything* about God, whether it exists, or doesn't. Science proceeds from the assumption of naturalism because it must do so to function, but naturalism is also the limiting factor in what science can comment on, and Gods and their uns are beyond the perview of science.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:44 pm
For anyone that may have missed this recent discovery.
Quote:

Newfound Dinosaur Shows Transition in Diet

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 5, 2005

Filed at 8:26 a.m. ET

Caught in the act of evolution, the odd-looking, feathered dinosaur was becoming more vegetarian, moving away from its meat-eating ancestors. It had the built-for-speed legs of meat-eaters, but was developing the bigger belly of plant-eaters. It had already lost the serrated teeth needed for tearing flesh. Those were replaced with the smaller, duller vegetarian variety.

''I doubt seriously this animal could cut a steak with that mouth,'' said Utah state paleontologist James Kirkland, one of those describing the animal, based on bones found in east-central Utah.

The scientists dubbed it Falcarius utahensis. Bones from hundreds or maybe thousands of these dinosaurs were discovered at a two-acre dig site south of the town of Green River. Nobody knows why they gathered there or what killed them, Kirkland said.

Falcarius ate plants, but its bones show the transition from its carnivorous ancestors while still in progress.

All plant-eating dinosaurs were ultimately descended from a meat-eater, and switchovers to plant-eating occurred several times. The newly discovered species, which lived 125 million years ago, could help scientists understand details of how the changeovers took place.

It's ''our first really good case of a dinosaur in the midst of shifting from the meat-eating body to a plant-eating one,'' said an expert not involved in the discovery, Thomas R. Holtz Jr. of the University of Maryland.

''It's definitely eating a substantial amount of plants, (but) we still see the original imprint of meat-eating upon it.''

The creature, with 5-inch claws on its outsized hands, measured some 12 feet from its snout to the tip of its long skinny tail. It stood just over 3 feet tall at the hip and could apparently reach about five feet off the ground with its long neck to munch leaves or fruit, said Kirkland.

He describes the creature in Thursday's issue of the British journal Nature with Lindsay Zanno and Scott Sampson of the Utah Museum of Natural History at the University of Utah, among others.

Analysis revealed that Falcarius was the earliest known member of a bizarre-looking group of plant-eaters called therizinosaurs (pronounced THAY-rih-ZY-no-sores.) Found mostly in Asia, the barrel-bodied creatures waddled upright like Godzilla or ''a pot-bellied bear,'' Kirkland said.

Falcarius, very early in its evolution into the therizinosaur body type, retained the rather horizontal posture and powerful legs of its meat-eating ancestors. And its teeth were more suited for eating plants, Zanno said.

It also showed some change toward the larger gut needed to digest plant material rather than meat, as well as a lengthened neck and smaller head associated with eating plants, she said.

Holtz said Falcarius still had fairly slender proportions overall rather than the barrel body of later therizinosaurs. ''This one could probably move fairly quickly,'' he said, whereas its more evolved relatives ''would have had problems hunting things faster than a tree.''

Kirkland and Zanno said they suspect Falcarius probably ate some meat in addition to plants.

''I wouldn't doubt this thing would eat a lizard or two in a pinch,'' Kirkland said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/science/AP-Dinosaur-Diet.html?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:38 pm
parados wrote:
For anyone that may have missed this recent discovery.
Quote:

Newfound Dinosaur Shows Transition in Diet

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 5, 2005

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/science/05/04/dinosaur.diet.ap/dinosaur.jpg
Analysis has revealed that Falcarius was the earliest known member of a bizarre-looking group of plant-eaters called therizinosaurs.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/science/AP-Dinosaur-Diet.html?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:05 am
Quote:
The foundation that was chosen is called Naturalism; the idea that supernatural causes can not be used to explain natural phenomena.

Is it possible that they picked the wrong foundation? Who picked this foundation? If there is a God, this foundation would never find him....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:19 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
The foundation that was chosen is called Naturalism; the idea that supernatural causes can not be used to explain natural phenomena.

Is it possible that they picked the wrong foundation? Who picked this foundation? If there is a God, this foundation would never find him....

Science is not a tool for understanding spirituality, it's a tool for understanding the natural world.

Science relies on a foundation of naturalism in order to measure empirical results against a known standard. If we remove the foundation of naturalism, then every pet theory could be supported with the claim of supernatural intevention, and the whole scientific process would eitner grind to a halt, or spin out of control.

The concept of The Scientific Method was established hundreds of years ago, and I'm not sure who originally recognized the need for a naturalistic foundation.

Does anyone else reading this thread know the history of this?

Thanks,
0 Replies