RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:15 pm
username wrote:
In other words, no proof.

You are asking me to prove the world exists to a rock...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:18 pm
No, that you're seeing things holy (litte "H") spirits (little "S") and need therepy.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 01:50 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
No, that you're seeing things holy (litte "H") spirits (little "S") and need therepy.

Holy Spirit (big "H" and big "S") = God the giver.

When, holy spirit (little "h" little "s") = the gift from the giver... (The thing that we use to know God and "witness" his POWER.)

Now that we got that cleared up.

Also,

The Gr. words "pneuma hagione" are translated holy spirit.

They can be translated either way with big or small letters (H + S, h + s) .

So the only way to tell if a certain verse is talking about the giver or the gift is to STUDY it... in the verse, in the context and in the remote context...

Study of the Bible, a concept foreign to many in this thread I guess...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:27 pm
I believe rocks are alive, but I did not say they were very intelligent... Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:34 pm
I figured you were solid as a rock.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:35 pm
Although not necessarily as intelligent . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:38 pm
I wonder if when we meet a person if not all of their being including all of their memories even their entire future is recorded in our mind? We do not realize we are carrying multitudes of entire beings within our own perceptions...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:41 pm
If we do not realize it, it is likely because this is yet another babble-speak figment of your overheated imagination. Things are not true simply because you are able to imagine them.

Have any thoughts on evolution, Bub, you know, the topic of the thread?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I figured you were solid as a rock.

I have my down days...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:43 pm
Setanta wrote:

...as intelligent as whom? Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
If we do not realize it, it is likely because this is yet another babble-speak figment of your overheated imagination. Things are not true simply because you are able to imagine them.

Evolution includes the spiritual which intelligence is only a a part of...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:45 pm
...and another rock just goes flying over his head? Yes, gravity will give one those down days, especially after too many martinis.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:47 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
...and another rock just goes flying over his head? Yes, gravity will give one those down days, especially after too many martinis.

I don't need to throw stones to appreciate them... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 03:00 pm
RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:

...as intelligent as whom? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

As a rock, Rex--apparently you don't pay attention to what you write yourself.

RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, it doesn't--except, perhaps, in your fevered imagination.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 03:01 pm
And now, back to the topic . . .

Darwin's finches are in the news recently, both for interesting reasons, and a tragic reason. The tragic derives from a threat to their existence, arising from fly larvae inadvertantly introduced into the islands:

BBC article on the threat to Darwin's finches.

In another interesting development, the influx of human beings may cause the finches on one island to "de-speciate," reverting to the earlier morphological type from which two different types had previously derived:

The Independent's article on the finch "devolution" in the Galapoagos Islands.

And a young earth creationist geologist (that should really piss FM off) is using Darwin's finches to lauch an attack on evolution, at the heart of an "ID" debate in England:

The Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald article on John Mackay.

Finally, a Canadian scientist from McGill University (Montréal) had been studying a group of Galapagos finches which he believed were about to speciate, but now says human influences may stop the process:

CBC's weekly Quirks and Quarks science program for today's date. (Please note, the Galapagos finch story is the fourth story down on the page--there are links to listen to the program.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 04:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
And now, back to the topic . . .

Darwin's finches are in the news recently, both for interesting reasons, and a tragic reason. The tragic derives from a threat to their existence, arising from fly larvae inadvertantly introduced into the islands:

BBC article on the threat to Darwin's finches.

In another interesting development, the influx of human beings may cause the finches on one island to "de-speciate," reverting to the earlier morphological type from which two different types had previously derived:

The Independent's article on the finch "devolution" in the Galapoagos Islands.

And a young earth creationist geologist (that should really piss FM off) is using Darwin's finches to lauch an attack on evolution, at the heart of an "ID" debate in England:

The Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald article on John Mackay.

Finally, a Canadian scientist from McGill University (Montréal) had been studying a group of Galapagos finches which he believed were about to speciate, but now says human influences may stop the process:

CBC's weekly Quirks and Quarks science program for today's date. (Please note, the Galapagos finch story is the fourth story down on the page--there are links to listen to the program.)

Why would the disappearance of a species of finch be tragic, Setanta?

If the existence of man is due to evolution, then any human influence causing the survival or nonsurvival of another species is also part of evolution, and therefore perfectly natural, right?

You wouldn't want humans to consciously try to stop or interfere with evolution would you? (Capt Kirk would be really ticked off if we violated the Prime Directive.)

Let humans be humans, and whatever effect they have on other species is what it is. If the other species can't cut it, then it's part of evolution that they disappear, right?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 04:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:

...as intelligent as whom? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

As a rock, Rex--apparently you don't pay attention to what you write yourself.

RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, it doesn't--except, perhaps, in your fevered imagination.

Until you have proof that spirituality is not present you are only living in your own limited fantasy...

So you may take your blind sided logic where you want but I prefer to entertain what is most certainly POSSIBLE with spiritual evolution...

You can fantasize that spirituality has nothing to do with evolution if you want...

Rolling Eyes (Emoticons are in the eye of the beholder.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 04:16 pm
Darwin's finches are icons for those who are interested in speciation. The tragedy would arise because human settlement would have killed them--some, but not all species. The large influx of people to the Galapagos Islands results from "eco-tourism." The tragedy would lie in the irony that people who come to see them have created the conditions which may kill them off.

Play your witless word games with someone else, "real life," i'm tired of your sh!t. I really didn't appreciate you using my post to go off on C.I., and have little interest in talking to someone who obviously sees other members as just an opportunity to rant.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 04:22 pm
real life wrote:
Why would the disappearance of a species of finch be tragic, Setanta?

If the existence of man is due to evolution, then any human influence causing the survival or nonsurvival of another species is also part of evolution, and therefore perfectly natural, right?

You wouldn't want humans to consciously try to stop or interfere with evolution would you? (Capt Kirk would be really ticked off if we violated the Prime Directive.)

Let humans be humans, and whatever effect they have on other species is what it is. If the other species can't cut it, then it's part of evolution that they disappear, right?

Twaddle. Apparently unique among critters, humankind has the intelligence to manipulate the environment in ways decidedly unatural, and whether or not so inclined, has the ethical and moral obligation to do no harm to the biosphere. A declaration such as you offer in that quoted post, rl, is ignorant, arrogant, and pathetic - biut then, given the source material from which you derive your propositions, arguments, defenses, and objections, nothing else is to be expected if one is to assume you would be given to consistency ... an assumption not at all inconvenienced by the voluminous available evidence here on these boards. ID-iocy is as ID-iocy does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 04:31 pm
RexRed wrote:
Until you have proof that spirituality is not present you are only living in your own limited fantasy...

Horse poop--those who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proof. No one is obliged to disprove the rambling, usually incoherent idiocy with which you typically clog this thread.

Quote:
So you may take your blind sided logic where you want but I prefer to entertain what is most certainly POSSIBLE with spiritual evolution...

You have not demonstrated that your "spirituality" exists, let alone that it does or could evolve. Even were that the case, it has nothing to do with a theory of evolution as it refers to biological diversity.

Quote:
You can fantasize that spirituality has nothing to do with evolution if you want...

No fantasy at all--a theory of evolution deals with the naturalistic explanation of the diversity of life on this planet. "Spirituality" has nothing to do with naturalism. Unless and until you prove objectively and beyond any reasonable doubt that spirituality exists and is a part of the natural world, your attempts to link it to evolution are just so much poofism.

(yet another emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)
0 Replies