Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:25 am
Thank you.

May I ask how you think we got here?

I know alot of people think it doesn't matter, but it is something worth discussing if nothing else.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:29 am
Here is a summary of Darwin's theory:

Adaptation: all organisms adapt to their environments.
Variation: all organisms are variable in their traits.
Over-reproduction: all organisms tend to reproduce beyond their environment's capacity to support them (this is based on the work of Thomas Malthus, who studied how populations of organisms tended to grow geometrically until they encountered a limit on their population size).
Since not all organisms are equally well adapted to their environment, some will survive and reproduce better than others -- this is known as natural selection. Sometimes this is also referred to as "survival of the fittest". In reality this merely deals with the reproductive success of the organisms, not solely their relative strength or speed.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:32 am
I'm the other one wrote:
What makes you think "we got here"?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:37 am
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

LOL, then why are we here? How?

You two are intelligent beings, I know you can tell me. Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:38 am
Now, be gentle, folks - for all we know, other one's retirement program may rest on the recovered value of the teeth beneath the pillow.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:39 am
Eorl wrote:
Here is a summary of Darwin's theory:

Adaptation: all organisms adapt to their environments.
Variation: all organisms are variable in their traits.
Over-reproduction: all organisms tend to reproduce beyond their environment's capacity to support them (this is based on the work of Thomas Malthus, who studied how populations of organisms tended to grow geometrically until they encountered a limit on their population size).
Since not all organisms are equally well adapted to their environment, some will survive and reproduce better than others -- this is known as natural selection. Sometimes this is also referred to as "survival of the fittest". In reality this merely deals with the reproductive success of the organisms, not solely their relative strength or speed.

I know you don't think I've read any of that before, but I've read alot. How did we start out you think?

BTW, thanks for answering me. :wink:
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:40 am
other one, the answer is not as simple as you'd like but let's start with pre-human earth.

I am 99.9% sure that we (humans) evolved from pre-human beings like homo-erectus.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:41 am
timberlandko wrote:
Now, be gentle, folks - for all we know, other one's retirement program may rest on the recovered value of the teeth beneath the pillow.

Laughing

This shall a nice conversation. I just know it will. I'm willing to listen for a change.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:43 am
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

What makes you think there is a reason why we are here?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:45 am
Eorl wrote:
other one, the answer is not as simple as you'd like but let's start with pre-human earth.

I am 99.9% sure that we (humans) evolved from pre-human beings like homo-erectus.

Like the big headed beings? With fur?

homo-erectus?

Sounds kind of kinky for some reason.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:49 am
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

I don't know. Isn't everything for a reason?

I'm not talking about reason as we have a mission either. I mean reason as in...oh...I'm not sure the word I'm looking for, drats.

So you think maybe we "just exist" or are an illusion or something else?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:55 am
I doubt its illusion, simply for the fact the math works so exquisitely well. Perhaps it is a personal shortcoming, but I find it exceedingly, even insuperably, difficult to argue against logic.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:57 am
I have to agree with that. You're so insightfull.

I recall hearing of people who think we are an illusion and aren't realy here. The Matrix portrays this too I think.

But I do like that movie.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:05 am
I like that movie too, though its sequels, as so often is the case, so far have failed to meet the original promise. Still, Ms. Moss in Spandex tights easily is worth the cost of a video rental.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:06 am
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

I'm not talking about reason as we have a mission either. I mean reason as in...oh...I'm not sure the word I'm looking for, drats.

In the small picture it appears as if some things have a reason, as cause and effect appear real, but I know you are talking about the big picture. Man has a very hard time grasping that there no known reason for anything, but that is the facts, as things stand now.

It is also important to understand that there is no defined need for a reason for anything in the big picture, things can simply be without reason. Yuppers I know that is counterintuitive and frustrating because our brains want to find purpose and intent in all things.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:06 am
I'm the other one wrote:

No. Maybe that's where our philosophies part ways? Right there.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:10 am
timberlandko wrote:
I like that movie too, though its sequels, as so often is the case, so far have failed to meet the original promise. Still, Ms. Moss in Spandex tights easily is worth the cost of a video rental.

LOL...and Canoe Reeves. That's what I use to call him.

They always hold the delivery back from the previews. Like a pizza commercial.

Have you seen Constatine?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:13 am
No, I haven't seen Constantine .. I've read of it, and intend to catch it on satellite, but its not a priority.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:14 am
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

In the small picture it appears as if some things have a reason, as cause and effect appear real, but I know you are talking about the big picture. Man has a very hard time grasping that there no known reason for anything, but that is the facts, as things stand now.

It is also important to understand that there is no defined need for a reason for anything in the big picture, things can simply be without reason. Yuppers I know that is counterintuitive and frustrating because our brains want to find purpose and intent in all things.

I know that to be true. I can't help but get deeper in thought and contemplate life alot. It's after 2 am here and I need to hit the sack, so, yes...I do think too much. That's my problem.

Are you satisfied knowing that we will feed the worms after death? Or..it doesn't matter because we've served our purpose here...living life.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:17 am
Eorl wrote:
I'm the other one wrote:

No. Maybe that's where our philosophies part ways? Right there.

Yea, lol.

Sorry, words are getting fuzzy.

G'Night everyone who I talked to!
0 Replies