Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
What is your definition of natural law?
How firm a conclusion would you be expecting?
I thought this would be easy.

Are you expecting a rhetorical trap? That was not my intent.

But go ahead. You define natural law.

Let me watch, OK?
Dylan wrote:
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate. So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.
I was simply asking for a definition of terms, I have no idea how you meant natural law, nor if you meant conclusion beyond all doubt, or beyond reasonable doubt, or beyond present generally accepted scientific knowledge, or beyond doubt from my individual perspective and how I rationalize that perspective etc.

As a religious feller, and as one who believes god has selective knowledge, god might also have said
godt wrote:
Just pick a definition and be done with it.
Quote:
The term 'natural law' is ambiguous. It refers to a type of moral theory, as well as to a type of legal theory, despite the fact that the core claims of the two kinds of theory are logically independent. According to natural law ethical theory, the moral standards that govern human behavior are, in some sense, objectively derived from the nature of human beings. According to natural law legal theory, the authority of at least some legal standards necessarily derives, at least in part, from considerations having to do with the moral merit of those standards.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/n/natlaw.htm
Alrighty then, on the basis of the "weight of the generally presently accepted scientific evidence/argument/theories to date" yes a great many things have reasonable weighting to have come into existence without the express need of, or evidence for, a higher intervening power.

I would also add that scientific investigations and disciplines are in their infancy, and as such the future for further useful explanations of how things have come about looks very promising indeed.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Ultimately, what they will accomplish will be not the achievement of their luddite aim but rather will be the further, if not the ultimate, discrediting and dismissal of the entire Fundamentalist Protestant Christian movement itself.

Today, the Archbishop of Cantebury wrote:
Quote:

The Archbishop may think he's a Christian, but hey....he's no "real life"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
To me "natural law" just is. It incompases everything and anything.
The Internet Encyclopedia Of philosophy wrote:
The term 'natural law' is ambiguous. It refers to a type of moral theory, as well as to a type of legal theory, despite the fact that the core claims of the two kinds of theory are logically independent. According to natural law ethical theory, the moral standards that govern human behavior are, in some sense, objectively derived from the nature of human beings. According to natural law legal theory, the authority of at least some legal standards necessarily derives, at least in part, from considerations having to do with the moral merit of those standards.
But never let it be said that I am not an inclusive kind'a guy so let's apply cicerone imposter's definition to Neo's question.
neologist wrote:
Would it be safe to conclude that all things have come into existence through the operation of natural law?
If we use cicerone imposter's definition that "natural law…incompases everything and anything" then yes it's safe to conclude that all things have come into existence through the operation of natural law. I would in fact consider the question redundant based on cicerone imposter's definition.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:23 am
real life wrote:
Since, as we discussed earlier, birds and insects etc can overcome gravity using energy and information

Hahahahaha, birds and insects "overcoming" gravity... you crack me up sometimes Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:26 am
real life wrote:
Birds overcome gravity and fly. Not because gravity is not a law, but because they use energy and information to supersede gravity using the principles of flight (lift, thrust, etc)

If gravity was 'absolute' nothing could ever leave the ground. In the strictest sense, you wouldn't be able to lift your arm.

Of course gravity is subject to external influence. But it is a law of science just the same.

Same thing with entropy.

That's the most twisted and irrational treatment of physics that I've ever seen in my life. Where did you learn your stuff, roadrunner cartoons?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:49 am
timberlandko wrote:
neo, pre-emptively, I'll point out tradition and social convention do not qualify as valid differentiators. Astrology, triskadecaphobia, salt-over-the-shoulder, broken mirrors, black cats, and imaginary freinds postulated through a scriptural canon all are the same fabric, regardless the weave.
understood
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, You are showing foot in mouth syndrome. Not good.
Mmmm. Leather. . .
cicerone imposter wrote:
Tell Chumly. Maybe he'll go with that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
What is truly hilarious about "real life's" most recent forays into "fractured fairy tales of science" is the contention that birds and insect employ "information"--never mind the tortured concept of "overcoming gravity."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
To be fair, information need not be processed consciously to cause instinctive behavior.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:37 am
I take it, then, that you consider muscular movement to be an example of "information-processing?" So who the Hell are you, the boy's lawyer?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
Ask that question of a competitive weightlifter and he/she will tell you that his/her progress is learned.

I'll agree with either of you who appears correct at the moment.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:56 am
Everything is information.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:57 am
neologist wrote:
Both the Holy Scriptures and nature proceed from the Divine Word . . . Two truths can never contradict one another. - Galileo

Galileo, a man desperate to not get hung by the church. I'ld say sh*t like that too if I was looking at a noose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:57 am
Neo, i applaud your unwavering devotion to the politic waffle.

Wolf, give it a rest . . .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:39 pm
neo - nice execution of functional, pragmatic, politically expedient situational ethics. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
ros
Quote:
Galileo, a man desperate to not get hung by the church. I'ld say sh*t like that too if I was looking at a noose.
. Thus demonstrating that Galileo used "energy and information" to control the effects of gravity.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
[/quote]
neologist wrote:
Tell Chumly. Maybe he'll go with that.
The Grand Chumly already responded to your post via cicerone imposter's definition on the prior page, plus my own patented pragmatic replacement for the ambiguous term "natural law", plus a "natural law" reference from the Encyclopedia Of philosophy.

Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
What is your definition of natural law?
How firm a conclusion would you be expecting?

Are you expecting a rhetorical trap? That was not my intent.

But go ahead. You define natural law.

Let me watch, OK?
Dylan wrote:
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate. So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.
I was simply asking for a definition of terms, I have no idea how you meant natural law, nor if you meant conclusion beyond all doubt, or beyond reasonable doubt, or beyond present generally accepted scientific knowledge, or beyond doubt from my individual perspective and how I rationalize that perspective etc.

As a religious feller, and as one who believes god has selective knowledge, god might also have said
godt wrote:
Just pick a definition and be done with it.
Quote:
Alrighty then, on the basis of the "weight of the generally presently accepted scientific evidence/argument/theories to date" yes a great many things have reasonable weighting to have come into existence without the express need of, or evidence for, a higher intervening power.

I would also add that scientific investigations and disciplines are in their infancy, and as such the future for further useful explanations of how things have come about looks very promising indeed.

Chumly wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
The Internet Encyclopedia Of philosophy wrote:
But never let it be said that I am not an inclusive kind'a guy so let's apply cicerone imposter's definition to Neo's question.
neologist wrote:
Would it be safe to conclude that all things have come into existence through the operation of natural law?
If we use cicerone imposter's definition that "natural law…incompases everything and anything" then yes it's safe to conclude that all things have come into existence through the operation of natural law. I would in fact consider the question redundant based on cicerone imposter's definition.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
Has anyone taken a look at this "creation science" website?

Creationist Entropy Argument
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:38 am
Pretty slick, eh?

Not much of a mystery where the talking points of "real life" and his ilk come from--although that was never in doubt, other than in the details.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:48 am
setanta,

I came across that website by accident. Real Life brought up the old creationist entropy argument yesterday.

The website I linked is probably very convincing to those with very little background in science.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
And it's very useful to those who peddle creationist propaganda, too.
0 Replies