timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
Wouldn't worry too much about The Roman Catholic Church, c.i. - I expect it'll be around, essentially unchanged, long after its Protestant offspring have withered away.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
Having rethought what I wrote and the catholic church's influence in Central and South America, I believe you are correct.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
"Any organism so well adapted to an environment, is also held prisoner by it".

You might equally say that about some of the positions on both sides here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
spendius wrote:
fm wrote-

Quote:

That well may be true, and if so, its not at all propitious for the ID-iot proposition - its adaptive capabilities are non-existant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:26 pm
spendi keeps trying to equate ID with evolution even though there is absolutely no comparison, and he's unable to show evidence for ID.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:30 pm
Oh dear c.i.

I don't know what to make of that.I really don't.

Quote:
-spendius wrote:
fm wrote-

Quote:

That well may be true, and if so, its not at all propitious for the ID-iot proposition - its adaptive capabilities are non-existant.

That may be so for the pedantic interpretation of ID as a specific American movement,and only may be,but it wouldn't for a wider meaning.

The adaptive capabilities of science are zero as facts are not amenable to adaptation and what happens is that we have to adapt to science and science becomes our master.

Certainly Christianity has adapted considerably and one of those adaptions was that of your Puritan founders who discovered an unexploited treasure trove and now think it was their character rather than the treasure trove and European science which has led them to where they are now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:53 pm
The Chinese culture was way ahead of the Europeans as were the Egyptians.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:07 pm
That's the sort of sweeping,what can I say next,generalisation that unscientific pseudo-scientifics often blurt out in the heat of the moment.

The fact that it is pure drivel is a minor matter.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Pauligirl,

That's pretty handy if the first little protocells had a beneficient scientist nearby to put xNA molecules inside the membrane. But how did they do it on their own?

If the membrane formed independently of the xNA molecule and then surrounded it, then when it comes time to reproduce there is no code in the xNA molecule to give it's offspring a membrane.

If, almost immediately after it formed itself, the xNA molecule generated the membrane then where did the information to do so come from?

.......Didn't we explain this to you at length a hundred posts or so back? ...........

No, but if you'd like to give it a try, be my guest.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:10 am
Spendius my old friend, are you a man of reason or do you prefer faith to supply your rationale?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:46 am
Chumly wrote:
Spendius my old friend, are you a man of reason or do you prefer faith to supply your rationale?

Where have you proven that these are mutually exclusive, Chum?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

No need to prove an axiom. Demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:45 am
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

No need to prove an axiom.

Hi Timber,

This may come as a shock to you, but you stating that something is axiomatic doesn't make it so. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
According the the American Heritage Dictionary's second definition of each of these words:

Superstition is a belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.

Faith is a belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Q

E

D
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Pauligirl,

That's pretty handy if the first little protocells had a beneficient scientist nearby to put xNA molecules inside the membrane. But how did they do it on their own?

If the membrane formed independently of the xNA molecule and then surrounded it, then when it comes time to reproduce there is no code in the xNA molecule to give it's offspring a membrane.

If, almost immediately after it formed itself, the xNA molecule generated the membrane then where did the information to do so come from?

.......Didn't we explain this to you at length a hundred posts or so back? ...........

No, but if you'd like to give it a try, be my guest.

No, I'm sure we did, but trying to find my explanation in the previous 700+ pages is kinda chore. I'm still searching. If anybody else can find it before me, please post a link.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
According the the American Heritage Dictionary's second definition of each of these words:

Superstition is a belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.

Q

E

D

Merriamwebster.com lists belief as a synonym for faith.

The definition of belief is listed as:

Quote:
Main Entry: be·lief
Pronunciation: b&-'lEf
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English beleave, probably alteration of Old English gelEafa, from ge-, associative prefix + lEafa; akin to Old English lyfan
1 : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
2 : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:25 pm
I believe Spendius has probably not read my post because he has not replied. This could be because he is busy with his beliefs or because he is busy with his reasonings.

Humors + QED = Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Q

E

D

Merriamwebster.com lists belief as a synonym for faith.

The definition of belief is listed as:

Quote:
Main Entry: be·lief
Pronunciation: b&-'lEf
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English beleave, probably alteration of Old English gelEafa, from ge-, associative prefix + lEafa; akin to Old English lyfan
1 : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
2 : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

How very convenient for you to have jumped to a synonym of faith. All faith entails belief--not all belief implies faith. Merriam-Webster (not to be considered a better or a worse source than the American Heritage Dictionary), gives the following second definition of faith:

The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionry wrote:
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust (emphasis added)

The bold-face portion of that definition above is that definition of faith which makes it identical to superstition--the belief in something for which no proof has been or can be adduced. This you well knew when you attempted to quibble with the Big Bird's remark.

On the subject of proof, you have claimed that the proofs for evolution and for a direct creation are circumstantial. You have never answered the question of what circumstantial evidence you have for a direct creation which accounts for the diversity of life forms on this planet, even though you have been repeatedly asked for it. When cornered, you begin to demand that someone explain this or that alleged lacuna in scientific explanations--and usually for questions of cosmic origins or celestial mechanics, rather than species diversity. You have never directly confronted the question, which was hammered over to conform to the terms upon which you insisted. I submit that you avoid a direct answer because you have none. You have failed to prove a failure of scientific explanation in most examples you have alluded to, because you either did not understand the terms or circumstances, or you disingenuously characterized them. However, even were it true that you piled mountains of justified criticisms of scientific explanations for cosmic origins, anomolies in celestical mechanics, or the origins of species diversity--doing so would not entitle you to claim that you have therefore demonstrated the existence and the actions of your imaginary friend. Failing to prove a theory of evolution to your satisfaction does not make your silly superstitions correct.

What circumstantial evidence do you have that a direct creation is responsible for the diversity of species evident on this planet?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:59 pm
I think after reading this you'll find that the word religion is very hard to define.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
Real Life has no proof that creationism is true. The best he can do is try and critique modern science.

Scientists do a vastly better job of critiquing modern science than real live will ever accomplish.

Modern science is improving over time precisely because of scientist's critiquing.

Ironically, if Real Life actually has any legitimate critiques of Evolution, his criticisms would only help improve modern science, not hurt it.
0 Replies