real life

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:43 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Ros,

What you find, for instance, in sedimentary strata is the smaller, less mobile creatures usually buried first --- on the bottom; and the larger, more mobile creatures usually buried last - on the top. Not surprising, is it?

Hi Rl,

Actually what we find is that dead things don't move very fast and get buried just like all the other "less mobil" creatures.

Sedimentary strata usually form in geologic timeframes, not biological timeframes. So your suggestion that "slow things" and "fast things" appear in different strata seems crazy.

Every now and then you get a snapshot of time due to a sudden geological event, like a landslide or something like that (Gobi Desert Raptors and Proto's for example, or Dinosaur National Park Duckbill dinosaurs).

real life wrote:
When an area is inundated by water which results in the formation of sedimentary strata, it is not unusual that the smaller creatures would be affected first, would you agree?

So all those itty bitty T-Rex's and Duckbills and Brontosaurs were just having a "slow day"?

Come on, we're talking about geological timeframes here, not day/night floods. At least suggest something which relates to reality.

Hi Ros,

Most fossilization in sedimentary strata likely occurs as a result of fairly rapid deposition and burial over periods of time closer to hours or days, not centuries or millennia, wouldn't you agree?

If an animal dies and is not buried fairly quickly, then scavengers or decay will likely leave little or nothing to fossilize. It's very unlikely that a carcass left even a year would provide much of a fossil if buried in sediment after having been exposed for that period of time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
rl
Quote:
What you find, for instance, in sedimentary strata is the smaller, less mobile creatures usually buried first --- on the bottom; and the larger, more mobile creatures usually buried last ? on the top. Not surprising, is it?
Show me a sedimentary unit where you say this has occured. Lets dissect it. Your trying to make an argument for hydraulic sorting and not geological zonation. Still trying to conjour up this flood?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:07 pm
farmerman wrote:
rl
Quote:
What you find, for instance, in sedimentary strata is the smaller, less mobile creatures usually buried first --- on the bottom; and the larger, more mobile creatures usually buried last ? on the top. Not surprising, is it?
Show me a sedimentary unit where you say this has occured. Lets dissect it. Your trying to make an argument for hydraulic sorting and not geological zonation. Still trying to conjour up this flood?

Hi Farmerman,

No matter if you postulate that deposition took place during 'a flood' or 'The Flood', wouldn't you agree that usually deposition and burial must occur fairly rapidly in order for there to be a decent chance at fossilization?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
real life, no I dont agree at all.That old chestnut of "rapid burial" is all relative. Dinosaurs died in streams barely up to their legs. They died in deserts and were fossilized as they dessicated. Fossils that occur from deep water sediments that contain trilobites etc, are not rapid burial but death assemblages that are gradualy covered by seasonal sediment . I can think of fossil assemblages that dont require rapid burial

These include
abyssal and deep ocean deposits
condensed sections like the CAlvert Formation
reefs
sea fans
deltas
swamp deposits
desert and loess deposits
peat deposits

evaporite beds
ash deposits
cyclothems (coal swamp cycles)
piles of diatoms and forams in lagoonal deposits
coquina sands
subtidal areas
glacial eskers and gravels
anoxic sediments in deep trenches
ice

Ive probably missed another 50 separate environments that arent really catastrophic rapid burial

. Now please answer my question regarding the sedimentary unit that shows hydraulic sorting.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
real life wrote:
Hi Ros,

Most fossilization in sedimentary strata likely occurs as a result of fairly rapid deposition and burial over periods of time closer to hours or days, not centuries or millennia, wouldn't you agree?

If an animal dies and is not buried fairly quickly, then scavengers or decay will likely leave little or nothing to fossilize. It's very unlikely that a carcass left even a year would provide much of a fossil if buried in sediment after having been exposed for that period of time.

Let's try this again. You said:

real life wrote:
Hi Ros,

What you find, for instance, in sedimentary strata is the smaller, less mobile creatures usually buried first --- on the bottom; and the larger, more mobile creatures usually buried last - on the top.

No you don't. Where is there any evidence of this?

Let's face it, dead things all move at the same speed. If the ground they happen to have taken their last step on covers them, then it covers them all. That's what happens to most fossils.

Every now and then we get a event like a landslide (like in the Gobi Desert) where living creatures are trapped and killed and fossilized. But those instances are relatively rare.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:38 am
Hi Farmerman,

I don't think I referred to hydraulic sorting. It may occur to some degree but it is not a point I was trying to make.

I was discussing the relative abilities of various species to escape an area if it were inundated with water and sediment.

Ros wants to be funny and insist that dead things all move at the same speed. Laughing

While true, it misses my point that some critters ( the more mobile variety) could more easily escape while they were yet alive and thus avoid becoming fossils (at least temporarily). So the lower levels of sediment are more likely to be filled with those that are smaller and less mobile.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:52 am
real life wrote:
Ros wants to be funny and insist that dead things all move at the same speed. Laughing

Well, you were trying to be funny by suggesting that the speed an animal moves at in life determines how likely it is to get fossilized in death, so I was just getting even Smile

real life wrote:
While true, it misses my point that some critters ( the more mobile variety) could more easily escape while they were yet alive and thus avoid becoming fossils (at least temporarily). So the lower levels of sediment are more likely to be filled with those that are smaller and less mobile.

And that is simply incorrect. In general, sediments don't jump up out of the ground and trap living things.

Things die, they fall to the ground, and sometimes the areas they happen to land on are prone to fossilization processes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:49 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
Things die, they fall to the ground, and sometimes the areas they happen to land on are prone to fossilization processes.

Wouldn't that suggest that the fossil record is only a record of life in places prone to fossilisation?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
spendius wrote:
ros wrote-

Quote:

Wouldn't that suggest that the fossil record is only a record of life in places prone to fossilisation?

To a certain extent yes. Except that we can reasonably assume that a T-Rex didn't live its whole life on the few square feet of ground that it died on, so the fossil record also tells us something about the general environment around it.

Also, since fossils are relatively rare in comparison to the number of things which have died and never been found, we should also recognize that the fossils we do find are probably the common "squirrels and sparrows" of their time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm
ros-

Well what proportion of the earth's surface is prone to fossilisation.Just roughly will do.

Why are there not fossils everywhere.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
spendius wrote:
ros-

Well what proportion of the earth's surface is prone to fossilisation.Just roughly will do.

Different parts at different times. So we would have to ask this question within the additional dimension of time.

Also, there are different degress and types of fossilization (ancient air captured in ice cores, ants in amber, skeletons in limestone, and oil).

And in any case, I don't think I can even come close to approximating.

Why are there not fossils everywhere.[/quote]

About the best I can say is that conditions for fossilization are probably relatively rare compared to conditions which don't result in fossilization.

Maybe Farmerman can put a more accurate guestimate out there for us to consider.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:55 am
He's gone to enjoy nosebleeds and headaches somewhere beyond civilisation's limits.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:19 pm
spendius wrote:
He's gone to enjoy nosebleeds and headaches somewhere beyond civilisation's limits.

Good for him. At least someone has found his way out of the pub Wink
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:32 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Well, you were trying to be funny by suggesting that the speed an animal moves at in life determines how likely it is to get fossilized in death, so I was just getting even Smile

real life wrote:

And that is simply incorrect. In general, sediments don't jump up out of the ground and trap living things.

Do you agree that in nearly all cases that burial in sediment must occur fairly rapidly (measured in hours or days, instead of centuries or millenia) for the carcass to escape decay/scavengers and have a relatively good chance at fossilization?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:45 pm
real life wrote:
Do you agree that in nearly all cases that burial in sediment must occur fairly rapidly (measured in hours or days, instead of centuries or millenia) for the carcass to escape decay/scavengers and have a relatively good chance at fossilization?

I would probably add "months" to that list as well. Deserts and lake bottoms and such could be slow burial regions. In the deep ocean where decay processes (and everything else) is much slower, it might take more like years or decades to bury something.

Why? What's your point?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

I would probably add "months" to that list as well. Deserts and lake bottoms and such could be slow burial regions. In the deep ocean where decay processes (and everything else) is much slower, it might take more like years or decades to bury something.

Why? What's your point?

I could go along with weeks or months in some cases, sure. I just don't think that fossil bearing sedimentary layers that are postulated to have taken many thousands or millions of years to form actually took that long. In most cases, the fossilized creatures would have long been decayed to dust, or scavenged to pieces if it took that long to cover with sediment.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:22 am
real life wrote:
I could go along with weeks or months in some cases, sure. I just don't think that fossil bearing sedimentary layers that are postulated to have taken many thousands or millions of years to form actually took that long. In most cases, the fossilized creatures would have long been decayed to dust, or scavenged to pieces if it took that long to cover with sediment.

I guess we need to talk about a specific example then.

I don't know how long it took the Solenhofen limestone formation to trap its animals, but I suppose we could look it up... My guess would be weeks or months to cover the carcasses, and then eons for the sediments to harden and turn to limestone.

But how does any of this relate to your assertion that faster animals and slower animals get trapped in different layers?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
The evidence of flooding which likely spured the story of Noah is at the Black Sea:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/blacksea/ax/frame.html

Those who wrote down the account of Noah's flood which appears in many other mythologies would have had no knowledge of any world-wide flood, they would have simply assumed -- they still believed the world was flat. There is no proof of fossils being caught up at the same time in the same flooding except in someone's fertile imagination and I don't want to get into what it might be fertilized with.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:18 pm
I have heard that animals deserted the shorelines of the Indian Ocean before the tsunami made landfall having,presumably detected it by some means we don't have.

I can't vouch for it.I was told by someone who had read it somewhere.

Maybe it isn't true or maybe it isn't relevant.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I don't know how long it took the Solenhofen limestone formation to trap its animals, but I suppose we could look it up...

Ok, here's what I found:

Quote:

The Solnhofen Limestone of Germany

Towards the end of the Jurassic, about 155 milion years ago, a warm shallow sea studded with islands covered much of what is now Germany. Sponges and corals grew on rises in this sea, forming reefs that divided up parts of this sea into isolated lagoons. These lagoons were cut off from the ocean and also from terrestrial runoff. Within these warm, isolated lagoons, the salinity rose, and the water may have been anoxic (depleted of oxygen) or even toxic at various intervals. Aside from cyanobacteria and small protists such as foraminifera, nothing could survive in the bottom waters of the lagoons for very long. However, any organism that fell into the lagoons from the land, or that drifted or was washed into the lagoons from the ocean, was buried in soft carbonate muds. Thus, many delicate creatures were not consumed by scavengers or torn apart by currents.

Source

It's clear that the conditions in this area were conducive to fossil formation.

Given that nothing could live in the bottom of the salty lake, scavenging and decomposition didn't occur, and the slow accumulation of sediment did the inevitable.

Every fossil bed probably represents a *combination* of conditions which improved the likelihood of fossil formation. Since combinations of conditions are required, that's why we don't have fossils everywhere.
0 Replies