neologist

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:44 am
timberlandko wrote:
You betchya its not a minor point neo ... its pretty much a make-or-break point, and not even Erasmus can equivocate past it. There is no straw man there, and there is but one reality.
Which is?

Do we have free will?

Edited to add:

Or should I ask is the concept of free will consistent with the idea of God?

I know I am off topic; but you are the one who used the 'o' word.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:59 pm
Any are free to make choices, all choices have consequences, people are subject to consequences stemming from their own choices and the choices of others. Some choose wisely, some do not, some make choices which convey benefit to themselves and/or to others, some do not.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:21 pm
neo,

I think it depends on whether the god of the concept at hand is omniscient and whether omniscience includes knowledge of the future. If the answer is yes to both then logically every single thing must be preordained, or nothing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:09 pm
omniscient does not equal omnipotent.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:13 pm
While omniscient does not equal omnipotent, omnipotent perforce entails omniscient - can't have it any other way.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:25 pm
patiodog wrote:

Why not? If you knew how to do anything, including how to get the ability to do anything, how are you not omnipotent?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:12 pm
real life wrote:
patiodog wrote:

Why not? If you knew how to do anything, including how to get the ability to do anything, how are you not omnipotent?

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1859293#1859293][u][i][b]HERE[/b][/i][/u][/url] you wrote:
So, yes, I believe God is omnipotent.

Now, I submit once more, by what rationale might an omnipotent, perfect creator provide the means for the extinction of species? If it was good enough for an omnipotent, perfect creator to create, then, by logic and objective critical thought, there should be neither reason nor mechanism for its extinction.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:36 pm
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:
patiodog wrote:

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1859293#1859293][u][i][b]HERE[/b][/i][/u][/url] you wrote:
So, yes, I believe God is omnipotent.

Now, I submit once more, by what rationale might an omnipotent, perfect creator provide the means for the extinction of species? If it was good enough for an omnipotent, perfect creator to create, then, by logic and objective critical thought, there should be neither reason nor mechanism for its extinction.

Timber,

Sorry, pal. I told ya before, I'm no Calvinist. Not all Christians are.

Just because something occurs does not mean that God did it or is responsible for it.

You wanna argue Calvinism, you'll have to track down someone who has his five points. Cool
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:52 pm
Ain't buying that copout attempt, rl - the record of you postings is clear; by them, you impeach your own proposition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:05 am
timberlandko wrote:
Ain't buying that copout attempt, rl - the record of you postings is clear; by them, you impeach your own proposition.

You wanna try to come up with a quote from me that argues for a Calvinist view of God?

Knock yerself out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:26 am
No point to my taking any effort, rl - your own proposition has been knocked out by your own postings.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:58 am
timberlandko wrote:
While omniscient does not equal omnipotent, omnipotent perforce entails omniscient - can't have it any other way.
How did you come up with that? We have free will but God (If there is a God) does not?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:17 am
Does God have free will?

Well, if God can do good and evil, as he clearly does in the Bible, then he has as much free will as humans. If God is bound by certain moral standards that dictate his actions, that is, it gives him no wiggle room, than God lacks free will. But the Bible shows us God may make, break and change any moral law in existence.

About the only thing that separates God from humans is the power God has in the Bible.

God is an omnipotent human; and ancient version of Superman.

Up, up and away. Is it a bird? Is it an alien flying ship? No, it's God bringing forth his vengeance against those who are non-believers. Plagues, earthquakes and floods destroying the naysayers to bring forth a world of believers and followers.

So, yes, the God found in the Bible does have a free will. No moral constraints bind him.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:22 am
xingu wrote:
Does God have free will?

Well, if God can do good and evil, as he clearly does in the Bible, then he has as much free will as humans. If God is bound by certain moral standards that dictate his actions, that is, it gives him no wiggle room, than God lacks free will. But the Bible shows us God may make, break and change any moral law in existence.

About the only thing that separates God from humans is the power God has in the Bible.

God is an omnipotent human; and ancient version of Superman.

Up, up and away. Is it a bird? Is it an alien flying ship? No, it's God bringing forth his vengeance against those who are non-believers. Plagues, earthquakes and floods destroying the naysayers to bring forth a world of believers and followers.

So, yes, the God found in the Bible does have a free will. No moral constraints bind him.
If God has free will and has given it to his creations, then he would be selective in his foreknowledge and must not be omniscient in the strictest meaning of the word.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:10 am
Timber,

I gotta say I'm kinda surprised that you only seem to be able to frame an argument when you can assume I am a Calvinist.

You seem completely flummoxed to have to shift gears into any other mode. I kinda thought your background was broader than that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:36 pm
rl. your copout ain't gonna work - nothing at all to do with or without Calvin ... Calvin doesn't even enter into it. Lemme type real slow here -

You attribute to your god the quality of omnipotence, and take effort to reaffirm your assertion in such regard.

Fine - we'll stipulate the god of your god concept is omnipotent.

By definition, omnipotence is condition of absolute compass, entailing no inability, limitation, or stricture in any regard.

An omnipotent god must be omnisicient, otherwise, that god would be not omnipotent.

You simply can't have it both ways, Calvin, Hobbes, or Garfield The Cat notwithstanding. A fatal logical flaw - an irreconcilable contradiction, amounting to a conditional absolute - exists within the proposition you forward, rendering the entire premise self cancelling. You posit not an argument but an absurdity.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
timberlandko wrote:
rl. your copout ain't gonna work - nothing at all to do with or without Calvin ... Calvin doesn't even enter into it. Lemme type real slow here -

You attribute to your god the quality of omnipotence, and take effort to reaffirm your assertion in such regard.

Fine - we'll stipulate the god of your god concept is omnipotent.

By definition, omnipotence is condition of absolute compass, entailing no inability, limitation, or stricture in any regard.

An omnipotent god must be omnisicient, otherwise, that god would be not omnipotent.

You simply can't have it both ways, Calvin, Hobbes, or Garfield The Cat notwithstanding. A fatal logical flaw - an irreconcilable contradiction, amounting to a conditional absolute - exists within the proposition you forward, rendering the entire premise self cancelling. You posit not an argument but an absurdity.

Hi Timber,

I think you're getting a little mixed up. I have no problem with God being omnipotent or omniscient.

Where you tried to assume that I took a Calvinist viewpoint was here:

timberlandko wrote:

Not all Christians are Calvinists. Do you understand why your assumption is that of the Calvinist position? It seems you may not, and are simply trying to bluff your way through it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
I understand that you are engaging in a blatant straw man argument in your endeavor to to disclaim Calvinist conviction by way of weaseling out of the irresolvable contradiction you've set for yourself. Sophistry is sophistry ... it won't get you out of the hole you've dug for yourself, but its all you've got, so I understand as well why you cling to it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:27 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I understand that you are engaging in a blatant straw man argument in your endeavor to to disclaim Calvinist conviction by way of weaseling out of the irresolvable contradiction you've set for yourself. Sophistry is sophistry ... it won't get you out of the hole you've dug for yourself, but its all you've got, so I understand as well why you cling to it.

Hi Timber,

If you think I've claimed a Calvinist position, you oughta be able to find the quote.

[Hint: Try the "Search" function]

Apparently, Calvinism is all you feel comfortable arguing against, so everyone's gotta be a Calvinist if they disagree with you.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The contradiction you thought existed between omniscience and omnipotence was not mine at all, if you look back a few pages you will see.

It's ok. Pop a few extra B12s to clear your thinking and it'll all work out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:44 pm
Straw man, rl, you present sophistry - and a hint of ad hominem to go along with it, seasoned with a touch of argumentum ad absurdam; the hallmark of failed argument. Your defense just ain't there. Misdirection ain't gonna save you; you're busted, and you did it to yourself.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4100/quitdigging4jc.jpg
0 Replies