aktorist

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Also, who says that scientists can't believe in unscientific things?

As long as a scientists keeps straight what is science, and what is not, it's okay.

A scientist can believe in ID, but as long as one doesn't say that it is science, it's okay.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:26 pm
real life wrote:
The poll clearly states that 40-45% of scientists polled 'included God in the process' of evolution. It did not say, and I did not present it as saying that these were 'creationists'. (You know what I have said, it has been repeated several times.) The common term for these folks is theistic evolutionists, and their numbers both in the general public and in the scientific community are quite large. I do not share their position and have made it clear that I do not.

But they do not share your hyper-naturalism either.

These scientists did not believe that natural processes alone were a sufficient explanation for the origin of man, etc.

Ok RL, I guess we're going to have to get those 40% to 45% of scientists to explain exactly what they meant by "included God in the process of evolution", because it certainly doesn't mean that *any* of these people supernatural tweaking of things, it only means that they think there is some type of "spirit" behind things.

So, now that we've cleared that up.... how does it support the point you were trying to make? Something about evolution not being valid for some reason? What was it again?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:43 pm
real life wrote:
What has this got to do with anything?

Newton believed in God as a law-maker not a tinkerer, which is why he would find the very notion of ID, abhorrent. He would prefer Evolution and Natural selection over ID, because Evolution requires God to make a law, not tinker with it and leave things to their own devices.

I think you are assuming that this is what he believed and this is what he'd prefer because that is what you would hope.[/quote]

No, I read about it in an article on Newton and Darwin in New Scientist. The article, by the way, talked about what would have happened if Darwin hadn't gone on his trip to the Galapagos Islands. The basic jist of the article is that if Darwin hadn't gone, we'd wouldn't have Darwinism, we'd have Wallace-ism which is much harder to say, but pretty much the same thing but with less evidence backing it up.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
The poll clearly states that 40-45% of scientists polled 'included God in the process' of evolution. It did not say, and I did not present it as saying that these were 'creationists'. (You know what I have said, it has been repeated several times.) The common term for these folks is theistic evolutionists, and their numbers both in the general public and in the scientific community are quite large. I do not share their position and have made it clear that I do not.

But they do not share your hyper-naturalism either.

These scientists did not believe that natural processes alone were a sufficient explanation for the origin of man, etc.

Ok RL, I guess we're going to have to get those 40% to 45% of scientists to explain exactly what they meant by "included God in the process of evolution", because it certainly doesn't mean that *any* of these people supernatural tweaking of things, it only means that they think there is some type of "spirit" behind things.

So, now that we've cleared that up.... how does it support the point you were trying to make? Something about evolution not being valid for some reason? What was it again?

That's pretty funny Ros.

'We will have to ask what they mean....'

'They certainly don't mean......'

'It only means......'

How did you contact them all so fast? Like greased lightning man.

No, the point of this particular sidebar was that your hyper-naturalism apparently isn't shared by many of the greatest scientific thinkers of the ages, likewise it is not shared by a sizable percentage (40-45%) of your contemporaries in the scientific disciplines.

You would like to disqualify someone as 'unscientific' if they dare to suggest that something could have an explanation that is not purely naturalistic. Your view is somewhat extreme.

Popular...... but still extreme.

Popular, but by no means an (almost) universal consensus among scientists, as you have tried to suggest.

That's the point.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:33 am
real life wrote:

No, the point of this particular sidebar was that your hyper-naturalism apparently isn't shared by many of the greatest scientific thinkers of the ages, likewise it is not shared by a sizable percentage (40-45%) of your contemporaries in the scientific disciplines.

How can you prove that these 40-45% don't believe in this term that you've conjured up called hyper-naturalism? All you've done is prove that some scientists have a certain belief that a deity of some sort is behind Evolution in some way or another.

You have not proved that they do not believe that molecules can "spontaneously" come together given the right environmental stimuli. This "hyper-naturalism" you speak of is not incompatible with a belief that God made the laws of the world such that the molecules act the way they do, so your argument is rather impotent.

Furthermore, so what if God made the laws? That doesn't mean ID is science. It doesn't mean evolution is wrong and it doesn't mean Creationism is correct.

Quote:
You would like to disqualify someone as 'unscientific' if they dare to suggest that something could have an explanation that is not purely naturalistic. Your view is somewhat extreme.

No, the view is unscientific if it cannot be proved through scientific means.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:49 am
LAte marine devonian, living at a time of great diversity among fishes Discuss in terms of evolutionary significance and why, in subsequent epochs , did the trend to bizarre spinosity disappearhttp://www.piinc.biz/images/trilobites/Superspinybugs/Psycopyge1CL.JPG
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:50 am
no. theyre not "humping"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:11 am
farmerman wrote:
LAte marine devonian, living at a time of great diversity among fishes Discuss in terms of evolutionary significance and why, in subsequent epochs , did the trend to bizarre spinosity disappearhttp://www.piinc.biz/images/trilobites/Superspinybugs/Psycopyge1CL.JPG

So you want us to assume it evolved in order to prove why it evolved.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:56 am
No, RL.

We want you to assume it evolved and then prove that the criteria for your assumptions have been met.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
RL, I really dont care how you explain these guys. They are found worldwide and within a rather narrow span of time and sediment. As you can see, they are spiny trilobites, one of a few hundred spiny variants of various trilobite genii. Spinosity was a term to descibe their appearances.
If you wish to play it with a "simple joke" fine. Id expect nothing loess. You have a distinct aversion to "getting to the roots of issues". I have plenty more so, if this threads gotten boring (mostly because you repeat your mantras every 20 pages or so) maybe we can insert some new stuff and get everyones take.
If you wish to see these and other trilobites "change" in spinosity through time, youd have to keep an open mind that perhaps creation is not exactly a viable mechanism. Remember thee spiny variants atre of a series of genii that go back to Phacops rana and wind up with terataspis grandi and Ampyx, Asteropyge, and otarion, then, by mid Permian, they seemed to chnage body plans away from spinosity to more torpedo shaped. (We use them as stratigraphic "place holders" if were looking for ancient Titanium sand deposits)
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:23 pm
I'm sorry, FM, but you kinda lost me on that one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
well, lemme see. Trilobites are Paleozoic arthropods that have come and gone from the late preCambrian and disappeared by the end of the Permian. Their basic body plan (their bauplan) is as a 3 part system, like a bug. Also, like a bug, theyve come and gone with new body styles that seemed to follow some other creatures development (as seen in the fossil record), and/or some environmnetal cataclysm. Trilobites were found all over the planet and the spiny ones (like the previous pages) followed the occurences of animals with big jaws and appetites for seafood. The experiment in spinosity may be a "defense" so that any bony fish would reject eating the trilobite with all the spines. (its a common defense mechanism used by lots of radially symmetrical critters like urchins or brittle stars).

The fact that they came and went , perhaps in response to new kinds of predation only to be replaced by torpedo shaped bauplan trilobites is a response feature imposed by an environment in constant change.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:28 pm
real life wrote:
That's pretty funny Ros.

Thanks RL Smile

real life wrote:
'We will have to ask what they mean....'

'They certainly don't mean......'

'It only means......'

How did you contact them all so fast? Like greased lightning man.

All I did was draw a more reasonable conclusion from the statistic. Something you could have done from the beginning, if you weren't so focused on desperately trying to support your unsupportable position.

real life wrote:

There is no such thing as hyper-naturalism. There is only naturalism or not. And whether you like it or not, the definition of science is based on naturalism. And whether certain scientists happen to be religious or not doesn't matter, as long as they keep it out of their science. *THEY* all know this, why don't you?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
farmerman wrote:
LAte marine devonian, living at a time of great diversity among fishes Discuss in terms of evolutionary significance and why, in subsequent epochs , did the trend to bizarre spinosity disappear

I would guess the spines are related to defense, so we should see some correlation to predators in the environment.

They could also be a sex selection trait, like showy tails in peacocks.

(And thank you FM for returning something of interest to this thread. Perhaps now we can talk about Evolution How, instead of Evoluton Huh?).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
or Evolution hee hee
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:28 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
[......whether certain scientists happen to be religious or not doesn't matter, as long as they keep it out of their science.........

So did Newton "keep it out of his science" when he asserted that God had created the universe, the Earth and all that is in it?

Simple question, but I haven't been able to get you to answer it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:10 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
[......whether certain scientists happen to be religious or not doesn't matter, as long as they keep it out of their science.........

So did Newton "keep it out of his science" when he asserted that God had created the universe, the Earth and all that is in it?

Yes, he did. Because the science Newton was doing was not related to the creation of the Universe, the Earth or anything else.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:10 pm
farmerman wrote:
well, lemme see. Trilobites are Paleozoic arthropods that have come and gone from the late preCambrian and disappeared by the end of the Permian. Their basic body plan (their bauplan) is as a 3 part system, like a bug. Also, like a bug, theyve come and gone with new body styles that seemed to follow some other creatures development (as seen in the fossil record), and/or some environmnetal cataclysm. Trilobites were found all over the planet and the spiny ones (like the previous pages) followed the occurences of animals with big jaws and appetites for seafood. The experiment in spinosity may be a "defense" so that any bony fish would reject eating the trilobite with all the spines. (its a common defense mechanism used by lots of radially symmetrical critters like urchins or brittle stars).

The fact that they came and went , perhaps in response to new kinds of predation only to be replaced by torpedo shaped bauplan trilobites is a response feature imposed by an environment in constant change.

I asked this question in another thread once upon a time, but the person I asked it of adroitly dodged. Seemed simple to me:

When you study sedimentary rock layer 'x' and you notice that there are no fossils of organism 'b' in this layer. Does that mean that organism 'b' did not exist at the time this layer of sedimentary rock was formed?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:15 pm
sometimes sed layer x is not friendly to organism B. For example, we rarely see rhinocerus fossils in deep ocean sediments.
Sediments dont always contain fossils but we look at what the environmnet of deposition was. Remember sedimentary rocks imply that some kind of mud, sand, or dust was being deposited so the best places would be in water, sand dunes, glacial washes, volcanic ash , and a few others.
I dont understand why someone would not answer the question. Perhaps it was too elementary for them.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:29 pm
farmerman,

How would you rate the chance of life being found elsewhere within our own solar system?

What do think would be likely candidates....? Europa, Titan, Io...?
0 Replies