cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:38 pm
So now we learn god's omnipotence is conditional. The more these christians talk, the more they get themselves into a deep hole.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:44 pm
So, "real life":

Do you assert that a creation is the best explanation for the diversity of life forms on this planet? If so, what is your circumstantial evidence that this so?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:52 pm
neologist wrote:
God has no more obligation to know all things in advance than you or I have to read the last page of the whodunit. This is the defining aspect of free will. (Volition)

Hahahahaha, Good one Neo! Smile You have a most unusual image of God.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
So, his free will trumps his omniscience, which in turn circumscribes his omnipotence.

It's like the author of a book refusing to read the last page of his own work ahead of time, so he can surprise himself with the ending Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've been away for most of the last 36 hours--does this mean "real life" has yet to answer the very simple question i've posed?

It is worth noting that many, many pages ago i stated that i was willing to stipulate that there are those who believe a deity created the world who nevertheless are able to accept the assumption that the current diversity of life on this planet is a product of the evolution of life forms, of descent with modification from common ancestors.

So, essentially, cosmic origins, the question of whether or not a deity created the world, is nor pertinent to the issue of the reason for the diversity of life forms on this planet. However, it would be very much to the point of this thread to know whether or not "real life" asserts that the present diversity of life forms is a product of a direct creation of those life forms in situ. This is the question upon which i suspect he is attempting to avoid taking a stance.

Let's remind ourselves of what your question actually consisted of, in many of it's incarnations

Setanta wrote:
So, do you assert that a creation is a better alternative to a theory of evolution....?

Your question asked if I favored creation or evolution. Of course part and parcel of the idea of creation is the origin of the cosmos, including planet Earth.

But suddenly, you don't want to talk about ANYTHING related to creation unless it goes the direction you want to go. Laughing

I have given several instances where a good BBer/evolutionist such as yourself has a grand opportunity to let your little light shine and show everyone what you know. What a wasted opportunity. You have completely fumbled it.

We'll let you have another go, however, in the interests of fairness.

The idea of creation/ID is simply put , that natural processes do not alone account for the universe, including our solar system, our world, life on it, etc.

The planets of our solar system, for instance, give evidence that their formation was probably not consistent with the Big Bang/ planetary evolution thesis. The rotation of several of the planets is not consistent with the others and mitigates against them all having been spun out into their orbits by such processes as are currently postulated.

In addition, the magnetic fields of the planets introduce some problems. Earth's magnetic field, in particular, is decaying at a rate that indicates the ancient origin postulated by the planetary evolution hypothesis is not within the realm of possibility.

The dynamo theory which is brought forward to 'solve' this problem only compounds it, because the dynamo theory won't work for all of the planets. Conditions necessary to it's working, such as a molten core, have not been shown to exist, and probably cannot be shown to exist on some of the planets.

Of course, this type of thing, as I have admitted from the outset, is merely circumstantial evidence favoring creation. It is not direct evidence, nor is it to be considered in and of itself conclusive of the idea of creation.

However if the Earth cannot be shown to be in the neighborhood of 6 billion years old , then all bets are off, are they not?

An age of the Earth , even in the hundreds of millions of years instead of billions, would completely wipe out any idea of evolution by random chance having brought forth man from mere molecules. I am sure all would at least agree that this is so.

Not interested in the planets? OK, here's some interesting math for you. If humans have existed for only about a couple million years as postulated and the population growth rate were a paltry 0.01% (far below the rate needed to sustain a population) then how many humans would there be today?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Not often one sees the word "desperate" used with such compassion, charity, and allowance. Downright Christian of you, ros.

I'm not even sure what "Christian" is any more. I can look up the definition, but there are so many different views, even among those who call themselves Christians, that it's losing its meaning.

Christians as a "species", are as diverse as breeds of dog, ranging from poodles to wolf hounds. Religion in general is evolving just like life, branching and competing and exterminating its competing species wherever possible.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:17 pm
rosborne wrote:
It's like the author of a book refusing to read the last page of his own work ahead of time, so he can surprise himself with the ending.

That's a great way of putting it, rosborne.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:18 pm
real life wrote:
Of course part and parcel of the idea of creation is the origin of the cosmos, including planet Earth.

But not in an evolutionary way?

Or will it be like having to pull your teeth to answer the question?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:26 pm
real life wrote:
The idea of creation/ID is simply put , that natural processes do not alone account for the universe, including our solar system, our world, life on it, etc.

And if natural processes alone are not enough, that means there must have been some un-natural processes added into the mix.

So let's see here, after giving careful thought to the Universe and its mysteries you have eliminated all natural explanations for what we see around us and are now proposing "poofism" as an alternative theory. Brilliant. Why didn't we all think of that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:46 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
So, his free will trumps his omniscience, which in turn circumscribes his omnipotence.
You have free will, don't you? Is that how it works for you? Does your power to make decisions trump your ability to make decisions? I can see you now trying to paint your house. After having chosen and purchased 15 different color combinations, you collapse in a heap of impotence and bankruptcy.
cicerone imposter wrote:
So now we learn god's omnipotence is conditional. The more these christians talk, the more they get themselves into a deep hole.
Join your friends in their hole, CI.
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
God has no more obligation to know all things in advance than you or I have to read the last page of the whodunit. This is the defining aspect of free will. (Volition)

Hahahahaha, Good one Neo! Smile You have a most unusual image of God.
rosborne979 wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

It's like the author of a book refusing to read the last page of his own work ahead of time, so he can surprise himself with the ending Smile
Is this your thesis?
>If an omniscient and omnipotent God exists, everything must have been determined.
>We have free will; our life course has not been determined.
>Therefore no omniscient and omnipotent God could exist.

Or this?
>The idea of a creator is an unnecessary variable in the origin and history of the universe.
>Therefore, everything is determined by the operation of natural law.
>Our behavior is determined by the operation of natural law.
>Therefore, we have no free will.

Or perhaps you agree with Martin:
Martin Luther wrote:
God foresees, foreordains, and accomplishes all things by an unchanging, eternal, and effacious will. By this thunderbolt free will sinks shattered in the dust.

Or could it be that a creator, whose name means 'he who causes to become' might be capable of creating a universe where sentient beings may be assured that their behavior has not been predetermined?

It's your hole; feel free to dig.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:55 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
real life wrote:
Of course part and parcel of the idea of creation is the origin of the cosmos, including planet Earth.

But not in an evolutionary way?

Or will it be like having to pull your teeth to answer the question?

Not at all. It's one I've answered several times before.

Yes, there are theistic evolutionists. Quite a few. I'm just not one of 'em.

Anything else?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:10 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

And if natural processes alone are not enough, that means there must have been some un-natural processes added into the mix.

So let's see here, after giving careful thought to the Universe and its mysteries you have eliminated all natural explanations for what we see around us and are now proposing "poofism" as an alternative theory. Brilliant. Why didn't we all think of that.

I think it may have been Babbage who said that phenomena that cannot be explained by natural laws are not necessarily accomplished by the breaking of those laws, but may indicate the existence of higher laws.

(Similarly, we can say that flight doesn't break the law of gravity, rather gravity is overcome by the principles of thrust and lift. To make use of thrust and lift, however, requires proper design.)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:15 am
On the walls of the Knossos Palace there from 3000 years ago are diagrams of cells splitting. How did they di this...i axe you ?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:20 am
Algis, We visited Knossos Palace some years ago, but do not remember anything that resembles cell splitting. Can you show it to us?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:56 am
neo wrote:

No, it's the hole you've created through your rationalizations. I and the others have merely taken these to their logical conclusions, contradictions. We've merely pointed it out for you. Not that you will accept it, of course, but it's there before you in plain terms.

You accept the thought of your own free will to be beyond the omniscience and omnipotence of your god to fit your theology. Yours is necessarily a contradiction therefrom.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:57 am
rl wrote:
Not at all. It's one I've answered several times before.

Yes, there are theistic evolutionists. Quite a few. I'm just not one of 'em.

Anything else?

Well, there's one molar, as it were.

So far, all I've seen you post are skepticisms about evolution, and the generalization that, "the idea of creation/ID is simply put , that natural processes do not alone account for the universe, including our solar system, our world, life on it, etc."

So then, you're not a theistic evolutionist. What are you then, and can you elaborate on your generalization?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:43 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
On the walls of the Knossos Palace there from 3000 years ago are diagrams of cells splitting. How did they di this...i axe you ?

You didn't get that from Erich von Daniken did you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:28 am
real life wrote:
Let's remind ourselves of what your question actually consisted of, in many of it's incarnations . . . etc., etc., blah, blah, blah . . .

Which is to say, you're still dodging the question with remarks about cosmic origins. It doesn't matter where the earth came from, nor the planets, nor what their rotational periods and directions may be--the question is what accounts for the diversity of life forms found on this planet today. That's the question which you will not answer, no matter what. You silly remarks about human population are a prime example of your attempt to evade the question. Without knowing the birth rate over time, as compared to the death rate over time, and the life expectancy of any given individual who is born, your question--which seeks to appear profound--is meaningless gobbledygook.

None of that nonsense in your reply constitutes an attempt to give a cogent explanation for the diversity of life forms currently found on this planet. All of that nonsense in your reply constitutes evasion.

So, "real life," do you assert that a creation is the best explanation for the diversity of life forms on this planet? If so, what is your circumstantial evidence that this so?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:32 am
Once again, for the peanut gallery. A theory of evolution is not an ideology, therefore, the term "evolutionist" is meaningless--ain't no sucha thing . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:18 am
InfraBlue wrote:
neo wrote:

No, it's the hole you've created through your rationalizations. I and the others have merely taken these to their logical conclusions, contradictions. We've merely pointed it out for you. Not that you will accept it, of course, but it's there before you in plain terms.

You accept the thought of your own free will to be beyond the omniscience and omnipotence of your god to fit your theology. Yours is necessarily a contradiction therefrom.
I never said humans were beyond responsibility to God or that exercising free will might not have consequences.

You have convinced yourself that God's omniscience and omnipotence limit his own free will and is evidence of imperfection. God's perfection is not determined by us and does not demand such an absolute definition. All that is required is that God measure up to his own standards.

I realize I have not proved anything. If there is a God whose name means 'he who causes to become', would you expect him to have limits?
0 Replies