cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
I just feel sorry for the children that will be exposed to ID/creationism in science. The quality of our educational system goes downhill quickly.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:03 pm
I'll get back to you on that, timber. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thanks, Neo . . . it's not as if the boy needs any encouragement to clog the thread with this drivel . . .
First off I am not a "boy" and I will write without any encouragement whatsoever. So you have assigned yourself to know drivel from what is relevant? See how you are? Why not? You clog the threads with your unproductive insult...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:17 pm
What may be or not be drivel may be a subjective assessment, but, with aplogies to Forrest Gump, drivel is as drivel does.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:23 pm
timberlandko wrote:
For sure, Happy Thanksgiving to all - whatever they may be thankful for, however they choose to express their thanks. Here at Castle Timber, not much going on Thursday, but we've got a troop of family slated to descend on us Friday. Gluttony - with due moderation of course - is writ large on the calendar; the board indeed will be groaning, and some of us too, no doubt. The main event is to revolve around a huge turkey that will have been slow-smoked for about 12 hours. Drooling just thinking about it.

OK - that's outta the way, now back to work.

RexRed wrote:
You need to put on your spiritual eyes to see spiritual things...

There is no need to leap into anything... at best a moderate sense of right and wrong and fair judgment.

If you listen you will hear the call... Smile

Wholly specious; I'm amazed any might fail to see the absurd circularity of that entirely empty rhetoric. I understand and accept as so that many fail, or at the very least refuse, to see the ludicrous nature of such a proposition, but it is beyond me how anyone might miss it. It certainly validates the aphorism that no one ever went broke for underestimating the public. Rex, you present no argument, logical or otherwise; you merely tread endlessly around the sophist circle.

neologist wrote:
RexRed wrote:
. . . The OT GOD was not pure.. but mixed with another God (devil) who became God by usurping spiritual power and counterfeiting the light....
Where in the world did you find this? I was just about to challenge timber on his razor. . .

Just be careful not to cut yourself :wink:

neo further wrote:
Oh well; how about it timber? In what way does the existence of a causer complicate the event caused?

The assumption of an eternal omnipotent causer brings nothing of substance to the issue; such an assumption may be based only on speculation. With or without a "causer", the universe appears to get along fine, conforming to expectations as indicated by science, despite gaps in the assembled knowledge of science. Filling those gaps with a diety concept is an unnescessary complication, and serves no real purpose apart from emotional gratification. That "X" be observed in no way entails that "Y" be assumed in order to explain or validate any aspect or attribute of "X" - "I don't know" is a perfectly valid answer, most particularly in the absence of data or observation. Something unanswered and/or unexplained precisely is that, just that, and only that; unanswered and/or unexplained, neither more nor less. To "answer" or "explain" the unaswered and/or unexplained via the religionist proposition is unsupportable, a counter-intuitive convention of convenience, serving no function apart from comforting those who for whatever reason may be incapable of or disinclined to understand and accept that there are and may always be things unanswered and unexplained.

The ethos of science is logic devoid of emotion. The ethos of the religionist propostion is emotion devoid of logic. Juxtaposing the religionist proposition and the scientific proposition in order to develop a legitimate philosophy is an excersize in futility; the two are antithetical, hence that wholly speculative and artificial alternative to philosophy, Theology. The Creationist/ID proposition, a subset of the religionist proposition, may find a home of sorts within theology, but can lay no claim for inclusion within either philosophy or science. That the Creationist/ID proposition now seeks a home in Politics indicates it may be not entirely comfortable with the welcome extended it by Theology - a reasonable supposition in light of the aphorism "Politics is the last reguge of scoundrels".

You take my words and say they are "empty rhetoric". That is because you are reading them with an empty heart... But these words are surely not empty.

Yet you are the one with empty words. Your words are empty of God. That can make them rather "empty"...

You seem to forget that the world exists in a state of if A equals B then C happens. If A does not equally B then D happens.

Now billions of years can go by and D may only happen a few times... So do you expect to be able to "see" this type of thing in retrospect?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:31 pm
perhaps he meant "empty of substance", rather than empty of warm and fuzzy fairy tales...just a thought.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:53 pm
Don't you just love the projectionisms of christians?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:07 pm
Eorl wrote:
perhaps he meant "empty of substance", rather than empty of warm and fuzzy fairy tales...just a thought.

I think timber may actually be traumatized to certain words... He just blocks them out. It is hard to understand things that way... (the same goes for alot of you) Smile

You need to let words assume the "real" meanings that they are/were intended to have. Some block off words when we are afraid of them...

Words like "grace" "power" "faith" "holy" "peace" "joy" "love" "spirit" "soul" the list goes on and on. These are not only our/your/my words but they belong to many subsets of the past.

When looking at the past it is better to let words work as they were intended to, a palette of colors that represent thoughts. But to allow preconceptions, prejudices and even fears to throw these words into their own soup of chaos is only a self admission of denial. Or it could simply be an atmosphere where words became redirected and associated with horrors. Either way the ends are usually erroneous.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:14 pm
RR wrote:
That is because you are reading them with an empty heart...

You are full of it, RR.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:11 pm
Let's all make an effort to be nice, OK?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
<chuckle> yeah ... feel the Christian Love flowing all around this thread - just open yourself to it Twisted Evil
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:12 pm
timberlandko wrote:
<chuckle> yeah ... feel the Christian Love flowing all around this thread - just open yourself to it Twisted Evil

Kind of a stacked deck when you can both heap disdain to your little heart's desire, and point the finger if your opponent shows human anger, don't you think?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:29 pm
snood, They stacked the deck all by themselves.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:14 am
wandeljw wrote:
RL,

Personally, I see no contradiction in Setanta's accusation that you are dodging his question.

Hi Wandeljw,

It's kinda hard to imagine anyone could have followed this thread for long and not know my position, stated and restated in many different ways.

For instance, just above your query, perhaps you missed this post :

real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Read "real life's" posts in which he asserts a necessary standard for those who prefer the preponderant evidence for a theory of evolution. The question is addressed to him because he has consistently played the game of claiming that one can choose between two equally plausible theses, one a thesis of creation, the other a thesis of descent from common ancestors through modification--both to explain the diversity of life forms on the planet.

Second of all, I have not claimed that there are two equally plausible theses. This is a mischaracterization of my statement.

My view of the two theses, briefly stated:

The two theses each start with an assumption.

One assumes eternally pre-existent matter. Matter/energy were not created -- they have simply 'always been'.

The other assumes eternally pre-existent God. Matter/energy had a starting point.

Everyone will admit going in that both of these assumptions are difficult, if not impossible for anyone to fathom or explain. But they are the assumptions which must underlie the two choices which we have.

If there was an eternally pre-existent God, then at least everything that follows has an adequate cause to explain it's occurence. If there exists a powerful, intelligent Creator, this could account for all we see.

If there was eternally pre-existent matter, everything that follows does not have an adequate cause to explain it's occurence. If there exists only matter and energy, this cannot account for all we see.

The two theses are not equally plausible.

And I might add that I am far from alone in holding the view that naturalistic causes are not adequate to explain the origin of humans, etc

A survey of scientists, posted by our friend Timberlandko, showed that only 55% of the scientists surveyed thought that naturalistic causes alone were sufficient. The other 45% of scientists surveyed did NOT think that naturalistic causes alone were sufficient causes to explain human origins.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 01:01 am
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Kind of a stacked deck when you can both heap disdain to your little heart's desire, and point the finger if your opponent shows human anger, don't you think?

Nothing at all wrong with disdain, or with anger, provided neither is expressed in the manner of ad hominem attack. Any argument, statement, position, or other submission to these boards is fair game for fair play, IMO - exchange of ideas, critique, criticism, and discussion are the name of the game. I may be mistaken, but I believe you would be hard pressed to find an instance of my expression of disdain or dismissal of anything other than the manner or substance of a member's commentary. I go for the jugular with some regularity, that's no secret. I attack arguments, statements, positions, and assertions, not the members posting same.

To carry on with your analogy, I submit that I lay all my cards on the table - face up. I certainly don't deny I have an agenda, however, none of it is hidden.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 01:35 am
Why would apes need to evolve to such a great extent? I mean most animals only evolved minimal characteristics some haven't evolved much at all (ie. Colecanth, Crocodile). I just cannot justify how apes had the need to evolve so much? Why haven't other animals evolved to such a great degree?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:08 am
R-7, i don't know what basis you have for claiming that apes are evolved far more than other animal groups, but here's a few examples of specialization that to me indicate extensive modification from ancestral forms:

hummingbirds--the only animals that can hover in still air, not to mention fly backwards, and undergo partial hibernation every night

bats--the only mammals that fly with wings that seem to have developed from fingers & also navigate by echo-location

the orchid that can be pollinated by only a single species of wasp (the flower looks like a female wasp, and produces the same chemical that female wasps emit)

species that inhabit extreme habitats, such as thermal vents in the ocean floor

many more such examples can be produced if needed
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 02:42 am
Well, I certainly have no need to further evolve.

G'nite snood.
G'nite timber
G'nite real
G'nite raul
G'nite yitwail
G'nite Set
G'nite Eorl
G'nite Rex
G'nite MA
G'nite MA (the other MA)
G'nite farmer
G'nite wandel
G'nite CI
G'nite Frank. Wherever you are. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 04:15 am
G'nite, Neo - be well. Oh, Frank has popped into the site here and there, as recently as yesterday. He's been well, but too busy to follow the threads and play the way he usually does, and it seems his 'puter is giving him fits, besides. I expect he'll be around in a much more typical fashion when those issues get resolved.

Anyhow ... lemme see here ... where was I? Oh, yeah.
rl wrote:
And I might add that I am far from alone in holding the view that naturalistic causes are not adequate to explain the origin of humans, etc

A survey of scientists, posted by our friend Timberlandko, showed that only 55% of the scientists surveyed thought that naturalistic causes alone were sufficient. The other 45% of scientists surveyed did NOT think that naturalistic causes alone were sufficient causes to explain human origins.

Actually, rl, your assertion there is inaccurate. No such survey was posted here by myself nor by anyone else; another member brought up the "45% claim", I merely Addressed that preposterous claim, citing among other sources for my rebuttal a 1997 article which referrenced the 1996 survey alluded to by that other member. The survey at discussion made no such claim as you aver, but rather the article discussing it said
Quote:
(A)ccording to the random survey of 1000 persons listed in the 1995 American Men and Women of Science

55% of scientists hold a naturalistic and atheistic position on the origins of man

Scientists almost unanimously accept Darwinian evolution over millions of years as the source of human origins. But 40% ... include God in the process.

Only 5 percent of the scientists agreed [with] the biblical view ...

Fine - we'll stipulate the 5% - lets look at that 40% thing "But 40% ... include God in the process." Does that entail that 40% of the scientists surveyed support Creationism/ID? Hardly. The article further said
Quote:
... Scientists almost unanimously accept Darwinian evolution over millions of years as the source of human origins. But 40% of biologists, mathematicians, physicians, and astronomers include God in the process.

"I believe God could work through evolution," a South Carolina mathematician wrote in a marginal note on the survey "Bell shaped curves describe how characteristics are distributed.. . so I think that God uses what we perceive to be 'random processes.'" Despite such affirmations, however, 55% of scientists hold a naturalistic and atheistic position on the origins of man, according to the random survey of 1000 persons listed in the 1995 American Men and Women of Science ...

... The standard view in science is that modern-day Homo sapiens emerged 40,000 years ago and began to organize societies 10,000 years ago. The oldest humanlike ape is called Australopithecus, or "southern ape." It was found in Africa and is believed to date back 4 million years. Homo erectus developed 1.8 million years ago. Neanderthals roamed Europe and Asia beginning 100,000 years ago ...

... The survey was a separate but parallel study to one reported in Nature (1997 Apr 3; 386:435-6) in which 40 percent of the same scientists reported a belief in a God who answers prayers and in immortality ...

... Two biologists from Ohio refined the question about God and evolution. One said, "God created the universe and principles of energy and matter, which then guided subsequent evolution." The other said God did not guide the process "but did create the conditions that allowed the process to take place." ...

Now, belief in a diety which answers prayers and which " ... could work through evolution ... ", a diety which perhaps " ... created the universe and principles of energy and matter, which then guided subsequent evolution ... " or which " ... did not guide the process 'but did create the conditions that allowed the process to take place' ... ", that some scientists responding to the survey inderterminately " ... include God in the process" somehow or other, does not constitute anything like the endorsement of Creationism/ID you imply; it merely indicates some scientists responding to the survey, the overwhelming majority of whom have no quibble whatsoever with the scientific theory of evolution, are neither athiestic nor agnostic in belief.

By and large, the Creationist/IDers among this group of scientists exist primarily in the minds of the proponents of Creationism/ID. A misleading ambiguity arises in the very use of the word "Scientists" - from what disciplines were these responding scientists? It is unreasonable to conclude anything other than that the survey universe represented a statistical match with the overall universe of scientists, among which would be a large number of engineering researchers, mathematics researchers, linguistic researchers, medical/surgical researchers, veterinary researchers, psychological researchers, dietary science researchers, information technology/computer science researchers, political science researchers, etc, etc, etc - "Science" is a pretty big pond, with lotsa different kinds of fish in it. Many of those fish - most of them, in fact - have nothing whatsoever to do with, no background or credentials in, probably very little if any interest regarding, the study of the cosmos, the earth, or its life forms.

Now lets look at another assessment, also as quoted from my earlier post:
Quote:
Only 0.15% of earth and life scientists subscribe to one of the creation science belief systems ...

Various U.S. court decisions have concluded that "creation science" is not actually science. This is because the beliefs of creation scientists cannot be falsified; i.e. it would be impossible for a creation scientist to accept a proof that naturalistic or theistic evolution is true. That is because their fundamental, foundational belief is that the Book of Genesis is inerrant. All physical evidence is judged by comparing it to Genesis. No evidence from nature can disprove this belief. Once a person accepts a religious text as the basis of their scientific studies, they no longer are free to follow where the data leads; they cease being a scientist ...

Lets add a footnote to that - According to a 1987 Newsweek article, " ... there are some 700 scientists with respectable academic credentials (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) who give credence to creation-science..." Newsweek magazine, 1987-JUN-29, Page 23

That would put support forCreationism/ID among those scientists who actually deal with the study of earth and its life at about 0.14%. While my auto mechanic is free to offer me medical advice and opinion, I tend to look elsewhere for such info - like, to the medical profession, wherein it is reasonable to expect more reliable advice and more well founded opinion related to health matters than one would expect to find elsewhere.

Were I to seek info regarding the pumps and seals in my automatic transmission from my doctor, I would be unsurprised by a blank look. For that matter, my doctor refers patients to radiologists and endocrinologists and hematologists and surgeons, etc, etc, etc when and as appropriate, knowing the limits of his training, skills, and experience. Both my mechanic and my doctor rely on my IT skills, but neither seek advice or opinion from me pertinent to their own fields, nor would I presume to offer it.

To start bringing this ramble to a close, let me revisit a couple points - of the nearly half million life and earth scientists in the US in 1987, a study cited by Newsweek indicated a statistically insignificant 700-some-odd supported Creationism/ID. One may say just about anything one wants about just about anything. However, for what one says about something to be relevant and pertinent, to have substance, what is said should be relevant and pertinent to the subject at discussion, and be not at odds with established fact. In the case of Creationsim/ID, the established fact is that Science repudiates Creationism/ID, conclusively in the case of science in the aggregate, and overwhelmingly in the case of those sciences directly concerned with the questions of earth and its lifeforms, and their histories.

As cited and linked in my earlier post, both the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Astronomical Society recently have published strongly worded position papers unambiguously repudiating Creationism/ID.

Central to the scientific proposition is that there exist natural, logical explanations for how things work. Insofar as they are able, scientists explain things through basic laws, tested and found to be valid, theories tested and found to be consistent with those basic laws, and hypotheses tested and found to be not inconsistent with those established theories, ever cognizant of the simple fact knowledge is incomplete, ever seeking to add to the body of knowledge. Science is unafraid to say "I don't know"; science has no room for magic, myth, or mystery.

Science has nothing to say regarding Origins. Creationism/ID seeks to impose its particular theologic speculations regarding Origins on science. Whether or not evolution was initiated by and/or proceeds under the direction of a diety is a theologic issue, a matter of religion, not science. Science has no business meddling with religion, and religion has no business meddling with science.

Science holds up its end of that bargain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 05:39 am
RexRed wrote:
I will write without any encouragement whatsoever.

Precisely the point i was making to Neo--apparently your reading skills haven't improved in your absence. Not only will you write, you do so like a drunk rambling on at a party, without regard for meaning or the quality of the content.
0 Replies