Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
real life wrote:
Will they have a copy of Darwin's grandpa's book on evolution as part of the display? I'd kinda like to see that.

Doubtful, but they do have a fine exhibit on the Evolution of God showing the development process between GoddeusPissius and GoddeusLoveusUseusAlleus.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:15 pm
farmerman wrote:
neo, Im sure you have an encyclopedic knowledge in what is your chosen line. I do this for a living, so why shouldnt I know this stuff. I equally take umbrage at you, and others, who are untrained and (it shows) yet that doesnt stop you from insinuating that I am somehow involved in a profesion that chases rainbows and falsities.
I don't doubt at all your integrity or the veracity of your findings. I'll get back to this when I have a few more moments. Until then, my signature will have to do.
0 Replies

non-denom christian

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:18 pm
Galileo, my hero!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
real-life, as I said to you when you brought up the points about Erasmus Darwin. HE DIDNT HAVE A TEXT ON EVOLUTION, he wrote a book of VERSE called Zoonomia. I see no reason why, at the Museum of NAtural History, they shouldnt include this in the Darwin exhibit as offering some context to what influenced his overall work. You have intimated that Charles merely plagiarized Erasmus and Ive said before (ad nauseum) that you are quite wrong. Erasmus' didactic poems were more Lamarkian in their derivation and besides, Scheuchzer and Buffon had already preceded Erasmus with forms of of evolution that could be read by Charles. Charles read and spit out much of the stuff his grandfather tried to pass on as profound observation, in that respect, like picking all wrong numbers in a football pool, the outcomes are equally worth learning and equally amazing to realize.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:48 am
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
TR

KINGDOM
PHYLUM
CLASS
ORDER
FAMILY
GENUS
SPECIES

Now, try to focus on the above Linnean hierarchy. If a new FAMILY is evolved then obviously, by definition a new species is evolved. I think youre using a term (micro evolution) and dont have any appreciation of its meaning.

Any system of classification is, by it's own definition, subjective. So categorizing any creature as a new species or part of a new genus, etc is simply a function of the taxonomist's desire to call it so.

It's just a matter of where someone decides to draw a line and what traits will and won't make one creature 'different enough' from another to call it something else.

In the case of the cichlids, the fish are still fish, if I recall. This remains so, whether you classify them as new species , etc....... or not.

If a new taxonomical system is adopted, with more levels of gradation , say 12 instead of the 7 you listed, then no doubt taxonomy will be given much more emphasis in the classroom in order to solidify in young skulls full of mush the idea that great changes from "A level" all the way to "E level" have taken place among the cichlids, and can't we now plainly see that evolution has taken place since these many classificational barriers have been traversed by this famous critter?

(No really! The pea DID move from under that cup to under this one! )

So, how does an IDer define the word "species?"
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 03:51 am
Guys,

Should we have a minute of silence for all the kids in Kansas who wanted to study science?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:17 am
Eorl wrote:
Guys,

Should we have a minute of silence for all the kids in Kansas who wanted to study science?

Take much longer, if you like.

BTW can you tell us specifically what it is you object to? Don't quote the media, but from the new standards themselves.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
An important note about Kansas:

The new state science standards do not take effect until 2007. Kansas will have an election for new state board members in 2006. It is very possible that the new science policy will be reversed before it goes into effect.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
Quote:
Doubtful, but they do have a fine exhibit on the Evolution of God showing the development process between GoddeusPissius and GoddeusLoveusUseusAlleus.

No evolution here, just two diffent sides of nature shown... he judges, but he also forgives. Your cynical interpretation is obscuring any kind of valid view of the bible.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:30 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

No evolution here, just two diffent sides of nature shown... he judges, but he also forgives. Your cynical interpretation is obscuring any kind of valid view of the bible.

Hardly. I have a rather valid view of the bible. My cynical interpretation is as easilly open to debate as any of the other portions of the bible that Christianity currently enjoys bickering about.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:44 pm
wandeljw wrote:
An important note about Kansas:

The new state science standards do not take effect until 2007. Kansas will have an election for new state board members in 2006. It is very possible that the new science policy will be reversed before it goes into effect.

Hi Wandeljw,

You seem to have followed this issue closely. Can you tell us specifically from the standards what it is that you find erroneous ( if anything)?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Quote:
Hardly. I have a rather valid view of the bible. My cynical interpretation is as easilly open to debate as any of the other portions of the bible that Christianity currently enjoys bickering about.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on you valid view?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
RL,

The Kansas Board of Education limited their changes to the single topic of evolution. My general disagreement is that evolution is being unfairly singled out. Also, students will be given the false impression that there is serious disagreement among scientists about evolutionary theory. The disagreement is not among scientists but rather among politicians.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
wandeljw wrote:
RL,

The Kansas Board of Education limited their changes to the single topic of evolution. My general disagreement is that evolution is being unfairly singled out. Also, students will be given the false impression that there is serious disagreement among scientists about evolutionary theory. The disagreement is not among scientists but rather among politicians.

Actually the disagreement is between scientists who think that purely naturalistic mechanisms can account for the variety of living organisms that we see, human origin, etc. and scientists who do not think that naturalistic explanations alone are sufficient to account for these things.

According to stats posted by one of the (pro-evolution) participants here on A2K, 55% of scientists surveyed were in the first category, while 40% were in the second. That's a pretty serious disagreement among scientists.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Quote:
Posted: 10th November 2005, 7:24 pm Post: 1664364 -
------------------------------------------------------------------------
wandeljw wrote:
RL,

Actually the disagreement is between scientists who think that purely naturalistic mechanisms can account for the variety of living organisms that we see, human origin, etc. and scientists who do not think that naturalistic explanations alone are sufficient to account for these things.

According to stats posted by one of the (pro-evolution) participants here on A2K, 55% of scientists surveyed were in the first category, while 40% were in the second. That's a pretty serious disagreement among scientists.

that doesn't sound like politics to me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:21 pm
It might not sound like politics but then again there might be a bit of politicking underneath.It is going to depend on what is meant by "scientist".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Spendi

you are wasting valuable John Smith time posting on a2k.

Nearly 9 30 man, how you gonna get 4 pints down?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
real life wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
RL,

Index to Creationist Claims
Claim CA112:
Many mainstream scientists point out serious problems with evolution, including problems with some of its most important points.
Source:
Discovery Institute, 2001. A scientific dissent from Darwinism. http://www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/100ScientistsAd.pdf
Response:
There are no known serious problems with the theory of evolution. Claims that there are fall into two (overlapping) categories:

· Some supposed problems are questions about details about the mechanisms of evolution. There are, and always will be, unanswered details in every field of science, and evolution is no exception. Creationists take controversies about details out of context to falsely imply controversy about evolution as a whole.

· Some supposed problems are misunderstandings, ignorance, or fraudulent claims about what the science says.
Links:
NCSE, 2002. Analysis of the Discovery Institute's bibliography. http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/3878_analysis_of_the_discovery_inst_4_5_2002.asp

Tamzek, Nic, 2002. Icon of obfuscation: Jonathan Wells' book Icons of Evolution and why most of what it teaches about evolution is wrong. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/wells/iconob.html

I suggest you read the links.
P
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/090605_tech.htm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:12 pm
If I wanted links, I would Yahoo and Google.

But, I'm interested in what YOU have to say.
0 Replies