real life

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:55 am
farmerman wrote:
real life
Quote:
Creationists are scientists who believe God created the world, correct?
. REF; what Pauligirl said.Actually, I didnt have to add a qualifier about modern times since The term "Creationist" had no meaning in normal discourse until the early 1900's when there was a philosophical basis upon which to make the distinction. Until that time, most anyone could be called a'Beleiver in the biblical account", even Darwin.There were very few who questioned the biblicl account as reality until well after Darwin.
Ill almost bet that Ill never hear an answer to areally simple question.
For a historical perspective the concept of "scientific Creationism" owes its being to a chap named George McCready Price. He was a Seventh Day ADventist minister of Fundamentalist persusasion. He published a volume entitled
The NEw Geology, in 1923. In this book Price mounted a scientific argument for the literal occurence of the Noachian flood. He invented the "geologic Column" that was defined by flood deposits, and all the fossils were merely the dead remains of drowned organisms.
The book was an instant hit and , in essence began the connection of "science" to the Bibical account.
The first real scientific association (in the US of course) that embodied Prices beliefs was the "religion and Science Association" founded in the 1930's.
SO one really cant have specifically Creationist views until there is a defined sub discipline in Creationist SCience. Trying to claim credit for work of the early (pre DArwin) sciences , is the rooster taking credit for the DAwn.

Hi Farmerman,

Changing the label doesn't change what he believed. You want to claim that anyone who believes the Creationist viewpoint , i.e. that God created the world , have not made any significant contributions to science.

You are engaging in semantic gymnastics to try to extricate yourself.

Sorry, it is what it is.

If 100 years from now, a different term or label is used to describe what I believe now, that doesn't mean that I could not be fairly and accurately described by that new label if I fit the description.

And there are MANY other scientists who would fit the same description, as you acknowledged:

Quote:
Until that time, most anyone could be called a'Beleiver in the biblical account", even Darwin.There were very few who questioned the biblicl account as reality until well after Darwin.

Since scientific law didn't suddenly change in 1859 to accomodate Darwin, so the work done by any scientist who believed God created the world can fairly be characterized as coming from one with a 'Creationist view'.

The idea that anyone who believes the same thing now is somehow less than qualified to be a scientist is off base. If the same men had done the same work today, would they not have had the same result?

With all due respect Farmerman, this line of argument doesn't serve your view well.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:00 am
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Its interesting how, when confronted with a simple question, with all the qualifiers understood by most everyone, Creationists will always duck and try to slide and evade.

There are no discoveries that were made within the realities of "Creation science" All the "proofs" of a young earth or a "waterplate beneath the Himalayas," are cartoons for science magazines.

Its no wonder , since the standard positions of Creationism involve (officially) no individual research lest they actually find something , which , as everyone with half a brain will recognize, stands their precious myths in uncomfortablepositions.

I daresay that everything Im aware of , that has started as a "position statement" or "data" from creationists or ID proponents has been successfully discounted.This includes everything from "flood geology", young earthism" to Intelligent Design's "irredcible complexity" The only problems have been that a large portion of the population only hears the Creationist side because they spend all their money on communication and "outreach"while the scientists are not willing to engage at their levels.

It is interesting how when confronted with a simple answer to your simple question, you suddenly try to throw in qualifiers ('modern era scientists only please').

You asked about Creationists as valid contributors to the accumulated scientific knowledge of the world.

You may not like to consider men such as Newton to be Creationists, but what else would you call him? He was a scientist who believed God created the world.

The fact that he was a huge contributor to scientific advancement embarrasses you when you see the conclusion you have brought yourself to.

Sorry about that. Maybe you should choose your simple questions more carefully next time. Or maybe just accept the answer to the one you asked.

farmerman asked "This may be a bit unfair but Id like to hear about 1 advance that has come about directly related to Creationist views."

Not about advances that come from scientists that are religious.

Can you see the difference?
P
Evolutionists criticize creationists for being 'religious' , but when I was asked to name some Creationists who are contributors to science and I did so, then you object "Not ones who are religious!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
Scientists can be religious, but religion isn't science.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
right said fred !!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
real life says
Quote:
With all due respect Farmerman, this line of argument doesn't serve your view well.
Oh, I think everyone save you undesrtands the point and the substance of my simple question.

Since real life feels uncomfortable dealing with the question as originally asked,MayI turn it around and ask, what advances in sciences have come about patterned on applied evolution?

c i saidScientists can be religious, but religion isn't science.
Quote:
. That, about sums it up precise and concise
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:52 am
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Its interesting how, when confronted with a simple question, with all the qualifiers understood by most everyone, Creationists will always duck and try to slide and evade.

There are no discoveries that were made within the realities of "Creation science" All the "proofs" of a young earth or a "waterplate beneath the Himalayas," are cartoons for science magazines.

Its no wonder , since the standard positions of Creationism involve (officially) no individual research lest they actually find something , which , as everyone with half a brain will recognize, stands their precious myths in uncomfortablepositions.

I daresay that everything Im aware of , that has started as a "position statement" or "data" from creationists or ID proponents has been successfully discounted.This includes everything from "flood geology", young earthism" to Intelligent Design's "irredcible complexity" The only problems have been that a large portion of the population only hears the Creationist side because they spend all their money on communication and "outreach"while the scientists are not willing to engage at their levels.

It is interesting how when confronted with a simple answer to your simple question, you suddenly try to throw in qualifiers ('modern era scientists only please').

You asked about Creationists as valid contributors to the accumulated scientific knowledge of the world.

You may not like to consider men such as Newton to be Creationists, but what else would you call him? He was a scientist who believed God created the world.

The fact that he was a huge contributor to scientific advancement embarrasses you when you see the conclusion you have brought yourself to.

Sorry about that. Maybe you should choose your simple questions more carefully next time. Or maybe just accept the answer to the one you asked.

farmerman asked "This may be a bit unfair but Id like to hear about 1 advance that has come about directly related to Creationist views."

Not about advances that come from scientists that are religious.

Can you see the difference?
P
Evolutionists criticize creationists for being 'religious' , but when I was asked to name some Creationists who are contributors to science and I did so, then you object "Not ones who are religious!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Once again, you missed the point of farmerman's question. An "advance that has come about directly related to Creationist views".
P
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:54 am
real life again
Quote:
then you object "Not ones who are religious!" [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing]

honest , sometimes your density is that of U238. That was not my objection and you know it. Youve danced around not answering that Im assuming that its not in your ability to answer or else youre busily trying to come up with something that we wont find ridiculous.
PS, forget it, it was a loaded question anyway , cause the only contributions that Im aware of were by Russ Humphries and even his geophysics modelling programs dont deviate from standard science; Even hes not that stupid to try to "speed up" tectonics to align withn his worldview.
We can move on.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
real life again
Quote:
then you object "Not ones who are religious!" [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing]

honest , sometimes your density is that of U238. That was not my objection and you know it. Youve danced around not answering that Im assuming that its not in your ability to answer or else youre busily trying to come up with something that we wont find ridiculous.
PS, forget it, it was a loaded question anyway , cause the only contributions that Im aware of were by Russ Humphries and even his geophysics modelling programs dont deviate from standard science; Even hes not that stupid to try to "speed up" tectonics to align withn his worldview.
We can move on.

My response was to Pauligirl. She is the one who objected that I had named a scientist (Sir Isaac Newton) who was 'religious'.

I loved the way your loaded question backfired, Farmerman. Really I did. It's ok with me if you want to ask 'em that way, but as I told you, it doesn't serve your argument well.

There are lots of well known scientists just like him, men who laid the foundation of the modern scientific world we inherited, that we could discuss who believed that God created the world. We both know it. You agreed that this was the almost universally held view until the past century or so. (Even then it was very commonly held as it continues to be today.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:45 pm
H O P E L E S S - a. futile lost, despearte, irrevocable, bleak, discouraging, vain, foreboding, incurable, threatening, grave, unobtainable, impossible.

That is the definition of trying to discuss any topic relating to science and evolution with the likes of real life.

All of us have just wasted our time trying to talk with a religious nut.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
H O P E L E S S - a. futile lost, despearte, irrevocable, bleak, discouraging, vain, foreboding, incurable, threatening, grave, unobtainable, impossible.

That is the definition of trying to discuss any topic relating to science and evolution with the likes of real life.

All of us have just wasted our time trying to talk with a religious nut.

Good evening, CI.

If you feel you are wasting your time, why are you here? There's reruns of Gilligan's Island just waiting for you.

Or why don't you try contributing to the discussion in some meaningful way. It's been a while, but I think you could do it.

Let's try this. I'll ask you a question and you try to come up with an answer.

The topic we've just been rounding out is concerned with Sir Isaac Newton. You know his credentials as a scientist, I don't need to tell you that .

He was also a student of the prophetic portion of the Bible, having written an entire volume on the subject of the prophecies of Daniel in the Old Testament and their counterparts, the prophecies of John in the Book of Revelation in the New Testament. It was a subject of intense interest to him.

In addition he also made statements such as

Sir Isaac Newton wrote:
Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors.

His view of the origin of physical universe and it's governing laws is also very interesting. I have identified him as a Creationist because of his belief that God created the world:

Sir Isaac Newton wrote:
This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being. … This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont to be called "Lord God" παντοκρατωρ [pantokratòr], or "Universal Ruler". … The Supreme God is a Being eternal, infinite, absolutely perfect.

In your opinion, does this belief disqualify him as a scientist? Why or why not?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 02:16 am
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1795/nytimes4yo.png
(The New York Times, Apr 8, 2001)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 08:48 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
An ordinary person should be curious enough about our origins to understand evolution. It explains to us the changes in our environment and how living things survive. It also explains the origin of homo sapiens, and how humans migrated to the different lands of the world. It has everything to do with decisions about self, family, and community (local, country, and the planet earth). Some people may prefer to remain ignorant; that's their choice.
When it comes to settling family matters, an understanding of the beatitudes serves better than an understanding of genetic drift. The same goes for personal decisions about such things as sex outside of marriage.
cicerone imposter wrote:
Scientists can be religious, but religion isn't science.
And, of course, that's what I've been saying all along. However, when the conclusions of religion disagree with the conclusions of science, the fundamental assertions of both must be examined.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
Just read satt's article on Dr Alberts. Just because he's a noted scientist, doesn't mean his conclusions about evolution are even close. He's a religious nut too! It shows how much he must continue to believe in creationsim even though it makes him look a fool - that he is.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
who has read the Enuma Elish here. if anyone ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
satt_fs wrote:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1795/nytimes4yo.png
(The New York Times, Apr 8, 2001)

I'm in favor of improving the quality and clarity of text books. It's unfortunate that many high school text books are dumbed down to the point where erroneous information is accepted simply because "it's close enough". Many things about Evolution are subtle to understand, so clarity is important. All the more reason not to waste everyone's time in science class with things that aren't science, like Intelligent Design.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
Haeckel's Lie: "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny." Big words make us smarter.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:33 am
neologist wrote:

Haeckel's theory was discredited years ago. It's unfortunate that those errors remain in the texts, however, the fact that there are errors in the text books, does nothing to discredit the validity of Evolution (as noted at the end of the article which Satt quoted). The evidence which supports evolution remains unchanged.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Haeckel's theory was discredited years ago. It's unfortunate that those errors remain in the texts, however, the fact that there are errors in the text books, does nothing to discredit the validity of Evolution (as noted at the end of the article which Satt quoted). The evidence which supports evolution remains unchanged.
The evidence remains unchanged. Whether it supports evolutionary theory is another matter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
One can lead a horse to water....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:56 am
neologist wrote:
The evidence remains unchanged. Whether it supports evolutionary theory is another matter.

Evolutionary theory is derived from the evidence, not the other way around.
Evolution is the only naturalistic explanation for the evidence we see, and until such time as some piece of evidence is found which doesn't fit the theory (which hasn't happened yes), all evidence will support the theory or modify it.

If you, or anyone else has a better scientific (naturalistic) theory to explain the evidence we see, then let's hear it.

Otherwise, the evidence supports Evolution because there are no other theories, and on conficting evidence. Period.
0 Replies