Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:07 am
What the...? Why do we need to explain it, when the site you provided already gives an explanation?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:05 am
"real life said
Quote:
Either the sea would have to be 9000 feet deep, in which case we are talking about a sea that would cover much of the continent;

Or neither. The Fountain Formation is one of the best studied examples of "alluvial fans" in the world. The flatirons , by showing these mega ripples , exhibit evidence of a tremendous force of "running water"that was busy eroding and depositing into the basin. Marginal basins are quite common in geologic history since they often form traps foroil migration. The Newark/Gettysburg basin of the Eastern US is an even thicker unit that occured while the Gondwanaland began to break up .
Your inability to understand the available evidence is not my problem. If you start thinking about all the evidence about sedimentological basins and deep time long enough, maybe youll com e to the conclusion that a lot of time was involved and , within all that time ,there were a series of complex tectonic forces like extension, compression, shear, and gravity gliding that enhanced the formation of local basins.

The evidence for your "surprising discovery " about the flatirons of the eastern Rockies, is really there. All you have to do is read past the "wow" part. The only thing thats needed to form deep basins is a rate of upthrust exceeding the rate of cutting by the eroding streams. We have many examples of modern mountain areas in which this is occuring. The Himalayas and the Sierras come to mind.

Science has, in all fairness, attempted to define and study a phenomenon until a valid series of conclusions can be developed. It hasnt started with one world view. In the past, most geological discoveries were made in a spirit that was an attempt to"understand" what the Creator had in mind (Lyell,Hutton, Steno, Darwin). When they often realized that their findings were diverging from dogma, most of them tried to soften the impacts or, in Darwins case, just chickened out and let others do it for him.
Yet, the "true believers" quoting an ancient text, ascribe to it a level of sophistication that didnt arrive until almost 2 thousand years later.However, when one probes the science sophistication of many of the "true believers" one finds minds that are pretty much closed to understanding of definable phenom and observable facts.
I have second year geo students who can make the flatiron story without resorting to a "global flood"

so, as far as being intimidated by your personal discovery and your own preposterous explanation,
I didnt back away, I attempted to present you some facts that I can further back up with lots of literature citations. SOmehow, however, finding out about simple science truths, was probably not what you had in mind. Neh?

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:17 am
real life wrote:
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Having evidence of a sea at one time in geologic history doesnt imply that such inundation occured at the SAME TIME.

And it doesn't mean it wasn't. It means that at one time or other that many parts of the earth that are now hundreds or even thousands of miles from ocean were once under it. That's all I said.

Since all of these various areas have been under the sea, it makes far more likely (not less) the concept of a worldwide flood.

You can postulate, if you like, that these all occurred at different times. And I can propose that they may have occurred at the same time.

What you cannot say is that it could not have happened at any time.

But how did a group of "illiterate" Hebrews correctly guess that scientific evidence would show thousands of years later that these areas had all been under the sea? If we had no areas of land that showed this evidence, then clearly things would be looking a lot less favorable for Genesis at this time. But the opposite is the case. Were they just lucky?

I don't know what you're on, but I'd love some of it myself. Laughing

Too bad you couldn't take a shot at trying to answer the question.

What question would that be? How in the modern world, with all we've learnt and discovered that people can still believe in some wild tale about an omnipotent fairy creating all things by the simple wave of his magic hand?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:19 am
There you go. Nice to have a geologist here on these forums.

I think geology's contribution to evolution is quite dualistic in its very nature. It provides very little (the age of the Earth), yet that very little props up evolution so much by proving that evolution had enough time to actually work.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:13 am
farmerman wrote:
"real life said
Quote:
Either the sea would have to be 9000 feet deep, in which case we are talking about a sea that would cover much of the continent;

Or neither. The Fountain Formation is one of the best studied examples of "alluvial fans" in the world. The flatirons , by showing these mega ripples , exhibit evidence of a tremendous force of "running water"that was busy eroding and depositing into the basin. Marginal basins are quite common in geologic history since they often form traps foroil migration. The Newark/Gettysburg basin of the Eastern US is an even thicker unit that occured while the Gondwanaland began to break up .
Your inability to understand the available evidence is not my problem. If you start thinking about all the evidence about sedimentological basins and deep time long enough, maybe youll com e to the conclusion that a lot of time was involved and , within all that time ,there were a series of complex tectonic forces like extension, compression, shear, and gravity gliding that enhanced the formation of local basins.

The evidence for your "surprising discovery " about the flatirons of the eastern Rockies, is really there. All you have to do is read past the "wow" part. The only thing thats needed to form deep basins is a rate of upthrust exceeding the rate of cutting by the eroding streams. We have many examples of modern mountain areas in which this is occuring. The Himalayas and the Sierras come to mind.

Science has, in all fairness, attempted to define and study a phenomenon until a valid series of conclusions can be developed. It hasnt started with one world view. In the past, most geological discoveries were made in a spirit that was an attempt to"understand" what the Creator had in mind (Lyell,Hutton, Steno, Darwin). When they often realized that their findings were diverging from dogma, most of them tried to soften the impacts or, in Darwins case, just chickened out and let others do it for him.
Yet, the "true believers" quoting an ancient text, ascribe to it a level of sophistication that didnt arrive until almost 2 thousand years later.However, when one probes the science sophistication of many of the "true believers" one finds minds that are pretty much closed to understanding of definable phenom and observable facts.
I have second year geo students who can make the flatiron story without resorting to a "global flood"

so, as far as being intimidated by your personal discovery and your own preposterous explanation,
I didnt back away, I attempted to present you some facts that I can further back up with lots of literature citations. SOmehow, however, finding out about simple science truths, was probably not what you had in mind. Neh?

Lots of assumptions on your part here.

Let's just keep it focused. Are there any sedimentary deposits of this size (9000 feet in depth) that are currently being formed?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:15 am
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Having evidence of a sea at one time in geologic history doesnt imply that such inundation occured at the SAME TIME.

And it doesn't mean it wasn't. It means that at one time or other that many parts of the earth that are now hundreds or even thousands of miles from ocean were once under it. That's all I said.

Since all of these various areas have been under the sea, it makes far more likely (not less) the concept of a worldwide flood.

You can postulate, if you like, that these all occurred at different times. And I can propose that they may have occurred at the same time.

What you cannot say is that it could not have happened at any time.

But how did a group of "illiterate" Hebrews correctly guess that scientific evidence would show thousands of years later that these areas had all been under the sea? If we had no areas of land that showed this evidence, then clearly things would be looking a lot less favorable for Genesis at this time. But the opposite is the case. Were they just lucky?

I don't know what you're on, but I'd love some of it myself. Laughing

Too bad you couldn't take a shot at trying to answer the question.

What question would that be? How in the modern world, with all we've learnt and discovered that people can still believe in some wild tale about an omnipotent fairy creating all things by the simple wave of his magic hand?

How can you claim to be so educated and not realize that the final sentence of my post was a question?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:52 pm
hmm, seems a bit of a hair trigger today
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:52 pm
real life said
Quote:
Let's just keep it focused. Are there any sedimentary deposits of this size (9000 feet in depth) that are currently being formed?

My entire answer was , unlike your speculation, all fact and evidence derived. Are you mormally this dense or just trying to get my goat?
There are plenty of basins 9000 feet and thicker, that are not "ocean bottoms"(leave the heavier thinking to others if you are just trying to be cute)
This sedimentological phenom could be evidenced quite easily in any number of Sedimentology or stratigraphy texts. Of course, youd have to (gasp) READ. If you wish to be spoon fed and then spit back as if you have a valid disagreement, why dont you just, kiss off and go spout your'biblical revelations ' elsewhere. They are worth precisely nothing in a world that is trying to squeeze out the last few drops of oil.If youre a fan of Russell Humphries and his "abiogenic oil crew, go invest your money in that old fraud, he'll show you what capital depreciation means.
The flatirons that you claim I "speculated" about ARE (whether you care to listen or not) derived from a deltaic deposit of intermontane sediments from the Pennsylvanian period ,Central Colorado basin, a prominent basin feature that was created from sediments that washed from the Colorado Range and the Uncomphagre/San Luis/Las Animas extensions of the Ancestral Rockies. All this was happening in the Pennsylvanian and early Permian times. The fossils contained therein were a combination of fresh water amphibians, fish, and some land reptiles. There were dune deposits where highlands of sediment peeked out of the river delta and eroded during dry times or seasonal low waters.
My "speculation" is based upon about 10 years of research in theSanLuis/ Pedernale and Arbuckles, searching for metals. Any geologist who would be thus wandering around with a bible for geologic reference will quickly attain a status of "No Bread".
I love it when you say Im speculating when its obvious that you have no clue that you have no clue .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:53 pm
real life said
Quote:

My entire answer was , unlike your speculation, all fact and evidence derived. Are you mormally this denese or just trying to get my goat?
There are plenty of basins 9000 feet and thicker, that are not "ocean bottoms" This could be evidenced quite easily in any number of Sedimentology or stratigraphy textsw. Of course, youd have to (gasp) READ. If you wish to be spoon fed, kiss off and go spout your'biblical revelations ' elsewhere. They are worth precisely nothing in a world that is trying to squeeze out the last few drops of oil.
The flatirons that you claim I "speculated" about ARE (whether you care to listen or not) derived from a deltaic deposit of intermontane sediments from theE Colorado basin, a prominent basin feature that was created from sediments that washed from the Colorado Range and the Uncomphagre/San Luis/Las Animas ezxtensions of the proto Rockies. All this was from the Pennsylvanian and Permian times. The fossils contained therein were a combination of fresh water amphibians and some land reptiles.
My "speculation" is based upon about 10 years of research in theSan Luis/ Pedernale and Arbuckles, searching for metals. Any geologist who would be thus wandering around with a bible for geologic reference will quickly attain a status of "No Bread".
I love it when you say Im speculating when its obvious that you have no clue that you have no clue (sorry husker, I robbed your line).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:55 pm
real life said
Quote:

My entire answer was , unlike your speculation, all fact and evidence derived. Are you mormally this denese or just trying to get my goat?
There are plenty of basins 9000 feet and thicker, that are not "ocean bottoms" This could be evidenced quite easily in any number of Sedimentology or stratigraphy textsw. Of course, youd have to (gasp) READ. If you wish to be spoon fed, kiss off and go spout your'biblical revelations ' elsewhere. They are worth precisely nothing in a world that is trying to squeeze out the last few drops of oil.
The flatirons that you claim I "speculated" about ARE (whether you care to listen or not) derived from a deltaic deposit of intermontane sediments from theE Colorado basin, a prominent basin feature that was created from sediments that washed from the Colorado Range and the Uncomphagre/San Luis/Las Animas ezxtensions of the proto Rockies. All this was from the Pennsylvanian and Permian times. The fossils contained therein were a combination of fresh water amphibians and some land reptiles.
My "speculation" is based upon about 10 years of research in theSan Luis/ Pedernale and Arbuckles, searching for metals. Any geologist who would be thus wandering around with a bible for geologic reference will quickly attain a status of "No Bread".
I love it when you say Im speculating when its obvious that you have no clue that you have no clue (sorry husker, I robbed your line).
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
Real

Quote:
Many geologists do not believe that the mountains as we see them today have always been the same height.

Of course not. If you had taken a basic geology course you would know that erosion continually wears down mountains and various other events builds them. The earth is in constant change.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
This joker is so clueless, i don't know why you bother with him. He doesn't even possess the base set of terms and concepts to understand what is being presented to him. He delves in to "science" to the extent that some shyster provides some pap with which he thinks to refute concepts which are way over his head. He'd have to put down his book of fairy tales and spend years reading in order to catch up to the point at which he could make any sense.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
real life said
Quote:

Perhaps you misread my post. My actual question had to do with sedimentary formations of this size (9000 feet) in the process of being formed today, not ones known to be in existence from days gone by.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:29 pm
xingu wrote:
Real

Quote:
Many geologists do not believe that the mountains as we see them today have always been the same height.

Of course not. If you had taken a basic geology course you would know that erosion continually wears down mountains and various other events builds them. The earth is in constant change.
My statement was in response to this exchange from p259

neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
One thing we know for certain, there is not enough water on this planet to cover the earth the way the Bible describes.
Are you certain the mountains were always as high as they are now?

to which you replied

xingu wrote:
Why would they not be?

Did you forget you made that statement , or are you disavowing it now?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:10 pm
Real

You say 9,000 feet of sediment was deposited during the Flood in the Boulder CO area.

Think about it. It rained for 40 days; 960 hours. After that the earth was covered with water; a vast ocean. All the erosion that occurred would have happened in those 40 days of rain.

So lets see; 9,000 feet divided by 40 days is 225 feet of erosion per day, or 9.4 feet of erosion per hour.

Can you tell me of a storm we have had in which we get 9.4 feet of erosion, on average, per hour for every hour of rain?

Since the water covered the entire earth it had to be at least 29,000 feet deep (Creationist say sedimentry rock found atop Mt. Everest is proof that the Flood covered the mountain). Therefore 785 feet of water accumulated per day for 40 days; that's 30.2 feet of rain per hour. That's .5 inches per minute for 960 hours.

By the way, where did all the water go?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:15 pm
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:29 pm
Quote:
Perhaps you misread my post. My actual question had to do with sedimentary formations of this size (9000 feet) in the process of being formed today, not ones known to be in existence from days gone by.
I thought I answered, perhaps my penchant for going on interfered with your read. YES, there are plenty of basins, intermontaine, deltaic, fluvial etc that are going on worldwide right now.
Your original post was based upon a spewculation that because most areas of the world show evidence of water deposited sediments, all these deposits had occured conveniently at the same time, hence, a worldwide flood in evdence, Sorry, no such evidence exists no matter how you try to spin it.

I suggest a beginning text in Historical geology. It, like any other applied science is meant to convey information that has been derived by a hundred or more years of mapping or drilling (usually both, plus geochem, paleo, geophys etc ect thrown in).
Now if your proposition is based on a belief that all these guys are out there wasting time on a big "lets fool with the Christian mind" you sire are quite mad.
Ive found that most Creationists like to "cherry pick" their sciences. They can buy Germ theory, but not natural selection. The will buy Atomic Theory but not Superposition or Uniformitarianism. The latter is so well proven that it oughta be a law and the former is. Only someone of limited intellectual capacity or a strict agenda would fight with the concept that the earth has been proven to be very old. What went on then, is pretty much whats happening today (natural environment speaking), and continents drift and have been doing so since at least the Grenville times (we dont dare go too much earlier cause the planet has shown evidence of basins compressing older basins in the strat records)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:06 pm
farmer

you are an earthy type of guy

is the world approaching peak oil?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
xingu wrote:
Real

You say 9,000 feet of sediment was deposited during the Flood in the Boulder CO area.

Think about it. It rained for 40 days; 960 hours. After that the earth was covered with water; a vast ocean. All the erosion that occurred would have happened in those 40 days of rain.

So lets see; 9,000 feet divided by 40 days is 225 feet of erosion per day, or 9.4 feet of erosion per hour.

Can you tell me of a storm we have had in which we get 9.4 feet of erosion, on average, per hour for every hour of rain?

Since the water covered the entire earth it had to be at least 29,000 feet deep (Creationist say sedimentry rock found atop Mt. Everest is proof that the Flood covered the mountain). Therefore 785 feet of water accumulated per day for 40 days; that's 30.2 feet of rain per hour. That's .5 inches per minute for 960 hours.

By the way, where did all the water go?

You appear to keep changing your mind about the heights of the mountains, Xing.

Do you think Everest, and other mountains, were necessarily always the same height, or not?

Here you seem to argue that it must have been always the same. Previously you said that they weren't always the same; and previous to that you asked why they would not have been. So make up your mind and then we can discuss whether it is possible for water to have covered Everest or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:26 pm
Mountains have been worn down, just as others have thrust upward. The good, idiotic Bishop Ussher was the fool who posited that the world is just more than 6,000 years ago. As the putative flood was to have taken place since then, there certainly has not been sufficient time for Everest or K2 to have risen any dramatic amount. The 29,000 foot figure is an excellent number to use in a "Santa Claus" test. A Santa Claus test is a mathematical exercise which can disprove a silly theorem (such as the biblical flood account--which the Hebrews stole from another source, by the way) without investigating the nuts and bolts of the silly appurtenances of the theorem. So, one needn't deal with rheindeer propulsion systems or elven sweat shops at the North Pole, one need simply consider how much time there is from sundown on December 24th to sunrise on December 25th and demonstrate that Santa Claus could not possibly accomplish his mission as described.

Apply that to the flood nonsense, and even a difference of a few thousand feet in the altitude of mountain ranges won't help a silly theorem. The volume of water necessary and the rate at which it would have to have rained to produce that volume, merely to cover the Zagros Mountains of the middle east are sufficient mathematical evidence to laugh the flood story out of court without even considering Everest or K2.

Once again, the Hebrews were, by all historical, textual evidence, illiterate when the Babylonian captivity took place (there is good reason to accept that part of the story, because such forced-labor migrations were a commonplace). They were embarrassed in the presence of Aryans and Semites with far longer histories and far more sophisticated (although still largely silly) mythologies, and they borrowed heavily. The Gilgamesh Epic is the source for much of the foolishness in Genesis. In the text of the old testament, which seems likely to have largely derived from a previous oral tradition (another commonplace for such fairy tales), monotheism as a concept does not appear until after the period of the Babylonian captivity. The historical evidence available from the ancient world shows the concept of monotheism arising first among Aryan tribes--the Medes and the Farsi (Persians). The evolution from chief god to sole god in the Farsi tradition, which is far older than the bible, is identical to that employed in the bible. That the Hebrews copied their ideas from other, more sophisticated and older societies is an accepted concept among those who carefully study ancient history and who are not blinded by adherence to a religious agenda.
0 Replies