farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
Quote:
Now when he was a young man he never thought he'd see (King Tut)
People stand in line to see the boy king (King Tut)
How'd you get so funky (funky Tut)
Then you'd do the monkey
(Born in Arizona moved to Babylonia King Tut)
Now if I'd known the line would form to see him (King Tut)
I'd take up all my money and buy me a museum (King Tut)
Buried with a donkey (funky Tut)
He's my favorite honky
(Born in Arizona moved to Babylonia King Tut)
Dancing by the Nile
Ladies loved the style (waltzing Tut)
Rocking for a mile (walking Tut)
He ate a crockodile
He gave his life for tourism
Golden idol
He's an Egyptian!
They're selling you
Now when I die now don't think I'm a nut
Don't want no fancy funeral just one like old King Tut (King Tut)
He coulda won a grammy (King Tut)
Buried in his jammies
(Born in Arizona moved to Babylonia
Born in Arizona got a condo made of stone-a (sic) King Tut)

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:42 pm
Joe Sixpack wrote:
This is startin' to git skeery
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:44 pm
The fact that you have a make believe enabler is really the scary part.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
Should I banish Joe?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 12:49 am
http://www.clavius.org/

here is a great site...

In debunking each point on the conspiracy there is a window into how the first moon landing was accomplished.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:06 am
I hate people who don't know themselves...

I hate uncertainty...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:03 am
farmerman wrote:
The fact that you have a make believe enabler is really the scary part.
I have scrutinized your scornful speculation and must tender this apology: I am sorry not to have invited you to the barbecue when I invited Setanta. It was simply an oversight, please understand. Joe says he will be happy to set 4 extra places this evening as long as I provide the beverage - and the ribs - and salad -and oh yes, the CORN! So, you and Setanta are welcome to come with your respective significant others. We'll be at the pool all afternoon and we start cooking at 5. Email me for directions.

That being said, perhaps I may enlighten you as to the reason for Joe's existence:
I have a galling habit of presenting ponderous pleonasms and pontificating to the point of imprudence. Joe prevents that.

After having read the schizophrenic logic slithering through the many posts on this board, I would suggest hiring Joe as a moderator.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
Quote, "After having read the schizophrenic logic slithering through the many posts on this board, I would suggest hiring Joe as a moderator." Nothing like jabbing everybody who has participated on this thread without naming names. Chicken Little comes to mind.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "After having read the schizophrenic logic slithering through the many posts on this board, I would suggest hiring Joe as a moderator." Nothing like jabbing everybody who has participated on this thread without naming names. Chicken Little comes to mind.
SHEESH! Present company excepted, of course. BTW, do you recognize this kid? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/toughlove.jpgHe sure gets around, eh?
http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/60968303942a120684e279.jpg
OH; And you can come to the barbecue as well. Just let me know. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:24 pm
I still think it's pretty funny! Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
From the BBC:

Changing planet revealed in atlas
An atlas of environmental change compiled by the United Nations reveals some of the dramatic transformations that are occurring to our planet.
It compares and contrasts satellite images taken over the past few decades with contemporary ones.

These highlight in vivid detail the striking make-over wrought in some corners of the Earth by deforestation, urbanisation and climate change.

The atlas has been released to mark World Environment Day.

The United Nations Environmental Programme (Unep) produced One Planet Many People: Atlas of our Changing Environment in collaboration with other agencies such as the US Geological Survey and the US space agency (Nasa).

Transformed world

Among the transformations highlighted in the atlas are the huge growth of greenhouses in southern Spain, the rapid rise of shrimp farming in Asia and Latin America and the emergence of a giant, shadow puppet-shaped peninsula at the mouth of the Yellow River that has built up through transportation of sediment in the waters.

I see growing population and unsustainable living to be the crux of the problem
Vaishali, USA

The effects of retreating glaciers on mountains and in polar regions, deforestation in South America and forest fires across sub-Saharan Africa are also shown in the atlas.
This year's World Environment Day, which will be hosted by San Francisco in California, will focus on ways of making cities more environmentally friendly and resource-efficient.

"The battle for sustainable development, for delivering a more environmentally stable, just and healthier world, is going to be largely won and lost in our cities," said Klaus Toepfer, Unep's executive director.

"Cities pull in huge amounts of resources including water, food, timber, metals and people. They export large amounts of wastes including household and industrial wastes, waste water and the gases linked with global warming.

"Thus their impacts stretch beyond their physical borders affecting countries, regions and the planet as a whole."

World Environment Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. It is celebrated each year on 5 June.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/4607053.stm
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:00 pm
Labradoodles... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
I have been noticing on these animal programs on cable, how much animals mimic the behavior of humans or vise versa... Animals display many if not all of the same traits collectively that humans display as a whole...

Like, animals are builders.. example beavers. Animals as small as birds can steal, kill and even be jealous of another animals nest. Birds can be materialistic and collect rare items in the forest to artfully display them. Animals can solve problems they can navigate and many of their senses are far more developed than humans.

This showing that animals and many plants embody most all human traits and are in many respects are more evolved.

What is it that we have that they don't? Well we have technology and our art has far surpassed that of birds and other creatures inclined to either paint with their beaks or arrange things they have collected in an aesthetically pleasing fashion...

We see, pack behavior in dogs, swarms in bees and bears who hibernate... are we emulating these behaviors as humans?

Showing that our behaviors are so similar it makes one wonder did we just receive these traits from the animal kingdom as a whole or did we evolve our behavioral traits at the same time that animals acquired them?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 12:24 pm
http://www.webpronews.com/business/topbusiness/wpn-54-20050606IBMBlueBrainWakingUp.html
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:41 am
Quote:
Wow, thunder is this what you look like?No wonder you covered yourself with a mask.

Hey, at least I'm not a geezer! Smile

Quote:
I have been noticing on these animal programs on cable, how much animals mimic the behavior of humans or vise versa... Animals display many if not all of the same traits collectively that humans display as a whole...

Like, animals are builders.. example beavers. Animals as small as birds can steal, kill and even be jealous of another animals nest. Birds can be materialistic and collect rare items in the forest to artfully display them. Animals can solve problems they can navigate and many of their senses are far more developed than humans.

This showing that animals and many plants embody most all human traits and are in many respects are more evolved.

What is it that we have that they don't? Well we have technology and our art has far surpassed that of birds and other creatures inclined to either paint with their beaks or arrange things they have collected in an aesthetically pleasing fashion...

We see, pack behavior in dogs, swarms in bees and bears who hibernate... are we emulating these behaviors as humans?

Showing that our behaviors are so similar it makes one wonder did we just receive these traits from the animal kingdom as a whole or did we evolve our behavioral traits at the same time that animals acquired them?

<head down and nodding in shame at realization that we are just 'better' animals>
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:55 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, thunder is this what you look like?No wonder you covered yourself with a mask.

Hey, at least I'm not a geezer! Smile

Quote:

<head down and nodding in shame at realization that we are just 'better' animals>

I only question human superiority over animals where and when humans make poor judgements.

We are all faced with the same choices and we can choose the road of life or death. Some choose a path to destruction and some creation.

Darth Maul Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 10:12 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Technically speaking, we're not any 'better' either. We're just 'different' in some significant ways.

We are a very unique animal on this planet.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:16 pm
Here is a question...

If you took one part of a certain breed of a dog and mixed it with a part of another breed of dog with the aim of making a dog that is like a cat... Then if you too bred cats and continuously mix different breeds genetically to come the closest you could to a dog would they line up?

Could the cattiest dog and the doggiest cat have offspring? Would there be a vital piece of DNA missing in each case?

Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:53 pm
RexRed wrote:
Here is a question...

If you took one part of a certain breed of a dog and mixed it with a part of another breed of dog with the aim of making a dog that is like a cat... Then if you too bred cats and continuously mix different breeds genetically to come the closest you could to a dog would they line up?

Could the cattiest dog and the doggiest cat have offspring? Would there be a vital piece of DNA missing in each case?

Smile

So, in other words...

"If you took one part of a Granny Smith Apple and mixed it with a part of a Macintosh Apple with the aim of making an Apple which is like an Orange..."

Anyway, I think you get the point. You can't mix dog traits together and get a cat, any more than you can mix apples and get oranges.

And even if you're talking about artificially manipulating an evolutionary convergence, the two species (or genera) would never be similar enough to interbreed. Once a species has diverged from its common ancestor, it's on a one way trip down the trail of uniqueness.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:23 pm
Dogs have 39 pairs of chromosomes. Cats have 19. No go, without even getting into any more detailed examination.
0 Replies