can sum1 help me =\

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:06 pm
can ne1 translate this to latin

When i grow up i want to be a doctor or nurse of some sort (M.D. - Doctor Medicinae). I am not sure. I want to be a doctor because i want to help people either physically, mentally, or spiritually. I think Latin influences my decision for a career because, as you know, there are many terms in a career in medicine. Latin has much to do with English itself--English being and becoming a major part of America. I hope the things i have learned in Latin will help me while i work towards achieving my goal. I have also thought about becoming a botanist. There are many ways in which Latin connects to this occupation. There is a certain root called lotus (Nelumbo nuciferum). It can be used as medicine to improve public speaking (in case you have trouble). [[Shinghei, more in http://www.vitamincity.com/herbs/lotus.htm if you're confused.]] Its leaves and roots can also be used to cook delicious foods. See, even Latin connects with culinary jobs. Back in the day during ancient Roman times, men trained as doctors by following around another doctor. This is similar to today. Today, there are such things as student teachers that stay during a normal class, watching and learning from the teacher. I still remember Paul from last year J. Scalpels were also used during ancient roman times. Though the hospitals were only meant for the military, fortunately we opened the hospital for people of all cases. A Greek doctor whose name was Hippocrates, recorded all the illnesses he met with and the treatments he used. His notes became the basis of the Greek and Roman medical education. This is how America knows so much. It is because of his and many other great people's notes. I want to be a great person also. Because Roman methods were a mix of science and religion, doctors had to learn many skills. Their medicines were usually special mixed herbs to treat a cough or cold and other complicated things. We know so much because of all the notes that had been kept on medicine that have been found. For example, a book of 600 plants and 100 drugs that had been tested on patients was discovered. An army doctor named Discorides had written it. I wish to learn more about the history of medicine and how Latin and Greek came to influence it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 708 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:17 pm
I don't know latin enough to help you, but I used to work as a translator and can tell you that the difficulty and amount of text in this request is such that I think it would be mighty fortunate of you to get a free translation job.

I personally would not feel comfortable even asking for it.

So if nobody takes this up, you may want to consider paying a pro.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
Craven's right.
This has the look of an assignment from a Latin teacher (COMPOSE A PARAGRAPH IN LATIN ABOUT HOW LATIN WOULD BE USEFUL IN YOUR FUTURE CAREER).
0 Replies